Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 38276 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »

Turning to Dio, Coleman responded, "The amount of skill someone has at shooting or fighting alone won't block a lucky shot from reaching your heart. Every fight has a chance - if only a small one - of ending in one's death. And the chance of dying when fighting someone with superior equipment, like our situation here, tends to be a bit higher than when both sides have equal equipment.

In any case, what kind of weapons do you have in mind? Attack drones of some sort? The thing is, like I said, if we destroyed the pirate ships we might wind up destroying the information, so maybe something with a disabling weapon like an EMP drone?"

Coleman tried to search his memory for what he knew about drones and disabling weapons.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2016, 01:25:53 pm »

((wait, are we doing the pirate reclamation mission then? One of the originally proposed three? We should know where that is?))

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2016, 01:30:16 pm »

((wait, are we doing the pirate reclamation mission then? One of the originally proposed three? We should know where that is?))

No, I'm talking about how specifically we're going to find a pirate ship to tail/surveil/search/destroy.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »

That is the consensus.

No, I'm talking about how specifically we're going to find a pirate ship to tail/surveil/search/destroy.
I have just now read up on your guys posts, and I have to say ... You're jumping way ahead of yourselves here :v Lawa's character hasn't even finished the meeting yet, and you're already running with the idea that you know everything from a meeting only Neil engaged in!

Just for future reference, please do not assume that someone has told you what they found out unless its explicitly stated. Just, because a team mate discovered some information that could earn an income doesn't mean they are going to immediately turn around and tell you about it, in some cases someone might want to keep the job offer/information to themselves. Basically, if you guys learn something that you want to share with the crew, please let the person who discovered state/roleplay that they share that information with you rather than assuming that they do since that could force them to take a course of action they don't want, and potentially cause friction which would be bad. I actually like having players for my games who aren't trying to murder each other at all times. :P

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2016, 02:25:18 pm »

Dio brushed aside the vague feeling that this conversation was never meant to happen. This was a worthwhile subject.
"Well... you see, sensors can detect a spaceship due to a lot of things. Heat, engine flare, radio emissions... we can't hide because our ship is extremely hot compared to space.
If we launch a cold shell, without engines, powered by batteries, it could be very cold, and also small enough to have a small size on the sensors. We could control it using a laser."

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2016, 03:27:54 pm »

((Ah, right. In the discussion about classes of weapon I clearly missed something. I thought the idea was that we would do the voted for Pirate Reclamation mission, with the sidequest if you will of picking up anything interesting we come across as intel - not specifically going out of our way scouting for it.

The Pirate Reclamation mission was already listed as high risk - do we have anything to gain by just flying about space where pirates might be?

My interpretation was just that if we find anything potentially useful in the course of our salvage missions we contact Harold as he could use it, and we could profit.

But I may have misunderstood?))

((Also, I am going away from Saturday for nearly a week, with no internet - please AI me as appropriate))

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »

((Ah, right. In the discussion about classes of weapon I clearly missed something. I thought the idea was that we would do the voted for Pirate Reclamation mission, with the sidequest if you will of picking up anything interesting we come across as intel - not specifically going out of our way scouting for it.

The Pirate Reclamation mission was already listed as high risk - do we have anything to gain by just flying about space where pirates might be?

My interpretation was just that if we find anything potentially useful in the course of our salvage missions we contact Harold as he could use it, and we could profit.

But I may have misunderstood?))

((Also, I am going away from Saturday for nearly a week, with no internet - please AI me as appropriate))
Your interpretation is correct, they just want you to see if you find anything in the course of your salvage work since recent attacks have already left quite a number of destroyed ships that are related to the pirates in question. They are actually against you going out of your way to just dive into the more poorly patrolled portions of the system, or going out of your way to hunt down a pirate to capture in the hopes of pulling intel from them and all the expect is for you to report anything you find during your salvage work that might be related. If the information is useful they'll reward you, and you'll have a couple more points towards the getting on the good side of some potential powerful people.

Asking you to go hunt down the pirates directly is a very poor idea considering you're a salvage crew not a mercenary outfit.

Also many thanks for the advance warning on your absence. :)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 12, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »

((Oh...

Oops...))

"Controlled with a laser? Wouldn't that generate enough heat to be detectable?"[/glow]

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:15 pm »

((Oh...

Oops...))

"Controlled with a laser? Wouldn't that generate enough heat to be detectable?"[/glow]

"If we miss, yes..."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:00 pm »

((Oh...

Oops...))

"If we miss, yes..."

"What about ways to disable a ship rather than destroying it? We can't exactly directly try to find these targets - that'd no doubt attract more attention than healthy - but if we destroy the ships we're trying to find information on it'll be difficult to retrieve that info. Of course, disabling rather than destroying carries a whole new set of problems - taking down the crew, making sure the ship's doors can open so that we can search the ship, etc."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:43 am »

Okay so I suggest then that we set course for the Pirate Reclamation job (I presume we were given coordinates way back when) and be extra vigilant for 1/intel, computer systems, etc., 2/scary pirates.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2016, 06:52:16 pm »

Okay so I suggest then that we set course for the Pirate Reclamation job (I presume we were given coordinates way back when) and be extra vigilant for 1/intel, computer systems, etc., 2/scary pirates.

Try to say that In Character - have your character say that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2016, 06:53:01 pm »

"What about ways to disable a ship rather than destroying it? We can't exactly directly try to find these targets - that'd no doubt attract more attention than healthy - but if we destroy the ships we're trying to find information on it'll be difficult to retrieve that info. Of course, disabling rather than destroying carries a whole new set of problems - taking down the crew, making sure the ship's doors can open so that we can search the ship, etc."
"Indeed! We could take prisoners, and hold them for ransom to their liege..."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:59 pm »

"Ransom? I don't think that would be very effective - these are criminals after all, and they might just as easily abandon their comrades as they would rescue or negotiate. Although prisoners would be useful for the sake of interrogation, if none of the others have any problems with that," Coleman noted.
"In any case, we're just supposed to be on the lookout for info, not directly seek these people out. We still don't yet have a contract or job, although I myself am voting for the Pirate Reclamation job," Coleman continued.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #239 on: May 14, 2016, 02:53:07 pm »

What about making/upgrading my own weapon? How much would that cost and the like?

Consider some kind of workshop with which to upgrade/craft equipment.
You contemplate a workshop for the creation, and improvement of existing gear for the crew as you browse the items in the storage bays for anything of use. With all the tools, and workbenches that they've managed to acquire so far it would be rather simple to setup a workshop though at most it'd just make it easier to use everything since ideally a workshop would have everything in roughly the same area where, as it is now, its scattered all around the storage bay.

Tobias wasn't too impressed with the battery, but at least this one worked - as opposed to being a bunch of melted scrap.
Still, he had what should soon be a working exosuit.
Try to finish it off. Wrangle Amelia's help if that'd make it easier.
He began planning out a rough thruster system, to allow manevouring in zero-g

You spend the few hours left at the spacestation simply working on finishing the exoskeleton frame that had been sitting half finished for most of your visit, and all things told the project is fairly simple with only some reinforcements needing to be made to the joints once the frame is fully finished. All in all your project has turned out well, and the exoskeleton is actually fairly maneuverable by itself though you suspect that when you put the Dunarium plating on it will be far too heavy to move around in if you're under the full effect of normal gravity. In order to try and solve the problem of maneuverability you start plans on a design for a crude thruster system, and given your current skill level and available parts you come up with the idea for a thruster system utilizing blasts of compressed air from filled tanks attached to the back of the suit.

Amelia boards the ship and as she noticed Dio's adjustments (for who else would've modified the navigation area)...instead of going with her first thought of "Examine the mechanics of the Navigational Logistics Improvement (Modification)",

She decides to browse through her book. [1/2]

"Are we ready to deploy for the next mission yet, Captain?"
When you return back to the ship you decide against investigating the navigations system which Dio had modified, and instead settle back in the pilot's chair to read more of your book. Flipping back to the page you had marked you pick up where you left off, its the bit just before Jackson rebelled against Command's orders in order to attempt to save the enemy survey ship from the Swarm hive it had awoken, and if you remembered correctly this was how Jackson first met his love interest ...

Two turns worth of reading done during this update, bonus applied.

TK goes to his room and just starts exercising (mainly focusing on push-ups and sit-ups) until it's time to depart.

When you return to the ship you decide to spend the remaining hours docked with the station furthering your physical fitness through a rigorous set of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and more. By the time you're done you feel sore all over, but you are certain you've made some improvement.

Neil gets up and extends his hand to all three in turn.

"Thanks Mitchell, Miss Carol. Me and my men will keep an eye out then - it's in everybody's best interests, isn't it... Perhaps we'll have a reason to catch up next time we're back in port."

And just to Harold:

"Thanks Harold. I'll get in touch if there's anything useful. Say. I'm guessing that if we came face to face with anything we reckon is a pirate, we should probably get the hell out of there, right? Is there anything in the system that we might be able to get hold of that could level things up at all? Ship? Weaponry? Some kinda gadgets? You know, nothing free - but that we can aim towards buying sometime... keeping ourselves out of trouble till then..."

Neil listens to any reply, and just before turning back to the ship:

"Oh, and that Miss Carol... She really a Miss?"

Go back to the ship if everyone is ready let's set course for the pirate reclamation job, the details of which I need to look up in my notepad.
"Hmmm, if its for fighting pirates I'd honestly recommend that you and your crew either get some fighters and hire a couple of skilled pilots, or try to get your hands on some drones to help cover your ship since these guys like to use fighter craft to swarm across the larger ships after the heavier ones take out as much point-defense as possible. Aside from that you guys are working for Macnameer, if you can get on their good side they'd definitely be able to use their channels to get you access to some heavier ship based weapons though you'd need to go through the Galactic Council's branch here to get the licensing for that degree of weaponry. With everything considered there's not much you can do at the moment to truly level the field if you run into their main ships, but the people they have doing the small jobs you should be able to manage. Just remember, if you get into too much trouble then get the hell out of there."

You nod before asking your final question which causes him to smile at you,

"Heh, she's a Miss now. Used to be married, but thanks to her background she outlived her former husband. I'd be warned, she has a thing for the more reputable ex-law enforcers which I find almost disturbing at times considering her real age, but I'll refrain from mentioning that since she'd kill me if she found out I told anyone."

Spoiler: Crew Account (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rocco Coleman (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

GM Note: Pirate Reclamation Mission locked in, will be starting it tomorrow. You can take this time to decide what you want to do in the time it takes to get to the site.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:14:14 pm by adwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21