Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 93825 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Misson 26: You Monster
« Reply #585 on: April 17, 2016, 03:13:41 am »

Quote from: P. South -> Hephaestus Admin
Dear Hephaestus Admin,

I apologize in advance for taking up some of your valuable time.  I'll be brief: I recently contacted two Hephaestus personnel to commission some research into an anomalous incident that occurred in the field.  A trooper by the name of Gordon Freeman appeared to exhibit telepathic abilities.  I've attached a video of the incident.

<Freeman_incident file attached>

Both of the personnel I contacted either believed the event was the work of "unknowable alien gods" or a supernatural and inexplicable ability unique to that individual.  However, I'd like to determine whether the reason this individual was able to perform this action was, perhaps, due to his high level of charisma, and whether such ability can be harnessed.  I know the idea seems absurd, but I would like to explore that possibility all the same.

Who can I contact to get some research into this incident?  Possible applications could be useful and life-saving for me and my team here in the field.

Thank you,
Pneuma South
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 05:36:53 am by Nunzillor »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 17, 2016, 06:02:24 am »

Can I get an update on the scouts sent to explore other glass spheres in the glass sphere verse ( the first probe entered in a very dry desert enclosed in a giant glass sphere, and we sent probes into orbit to look for other spheres and found some. Teleporting scoutships near those spheres was inexact and required a couple turns for the scouts to arrive. I don't believe our scouts arrived last time I checked.

Begin sending scouts into orgyverse to different solar systems and different galaxies. Look for signs of more of this civilization (or other civs), as well as signs of habitable planets outside the apparent range of this civilization. This will be an ongoing action until we have explored the knowable limits of this civ, at least, however many turns that takes.

Edit: Send out a request to all ARM operatives who retain either an amp, or synthflesh, or another form of origin tech to make themselves available for some horrible, agonizing, inhumane testing exploration and experimentation. This request need not bother high level operatives currently on very dangerous missions.

Time permitting, send probes to new universes:
0, 0, 8
0, 8, 0
8, 0, 0

Quote from: Dester to Saint cc All BlOps teammates
I am curious about  the effectiveness of Origin tech in the Orgyverse. I am assuming this is because of the dramatic similarity to our own universe in terms of physical makeup, I wonder thogh, if our origin tech transported to that universe retains it's connection to this Lurker being. While I understand that there is no 'safe' way to test this, is there, perhaps, a way to test this within a reasonable level of risk? Perhaps we could send some origin tech user across and have them test the reliability of an amp, or synthflesh, or a manipulator?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:07:03 am by Ozarck »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 17, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »

Quote from:  Vincent re: All Blops Teammates
I'm down for testing this. I'm sure we have plenty of remaining suicidal team-mates who would be more than happy to get another chance to go full out with amps. I suggest we do this on a seperate planet in this universe however

Phase 3 probes to the bioluminesent section of the cave-verse

Get an area set up on heph that is large enough to keep all the current inhabitants of cave verse quarantined on heph. If there is enough time this turn, after the quarantine area is set up, bring the colonists of cave verse back
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:59:54 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 17, 2016, 10:42:25 pm »

Quote from:  Hephaestus Admin Steve Saint  to: Operative 4
Strangely, your dossier, your shock implant, and the wristpad you are using, are all owned by a "4".  I assume "Pneuma South" is a pseudonym.

Regardless, I am well aware of the effect you observed.  Simply put, Operative Freeman is insane.  Just as I, your squadmates, and you yourself, are all insane.  Every ARM operative has spent several centuries in stasis, which invariably results in the condition known as "stasis dementia".  Normally, the effects of SD are rather mundane: violent personality changes, wildly incoherent thought patterns, spontaneous comas, etcetera.  I am sure you have already witnessed many such symptoms among your squadmates, and they are likely the least-affected individuals of those recently released.  The reason why we almost exclusively utilize people affected by SD is that it has more uncommon, less mundane side effects; some people gain unnatural abilities, such as my own affinity for science and technology, Freeman's seemingly supernatural powers of charisma, or the veterans' superhuman combat abilities.

Sadly, startlingly scarce science has been done on the subject of stasis dementia.  Prior to Origin's corruption, I was conducting several longitudinal studies on the initiation and strength of SD's effects, but my work was interrupted by the general chaos that followed Origin's corruption.  To my knowledge, nobody within ARM currently possesses both the resources and time required to conduct proper experiments on the subject.  However, you could contact the Doctor--it knows a great deal more than any other living being, and could possibly answer any questions you have.

I applaud your curiousity, miss South.  Most operatives are without initiative, and simply shrug off strange incidents as "inexplicable" or "unknowable", as you saw with Leroux and Freeman.  Hephaestus is always looking to recruit bright young minds unburdened by such shortsightedness.  If you find yourself uninterested in a short, violent career which has an 88.1% chance of ending in death or permanent catatonia, remember that you can always apply for a research post on Hephaestus.
Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: BLOPs Lead Dester Gree  cc: M26 Team
Most likely, it is as simple to test as sending an automanipulator across, and intentionally overloading it, while a secondary probe watches from a long distance away.  To be safe, the automanipulator should be accompanied by as many nuclear devices as we can fit on the probe; the Lurker's influence could possibly be prematurely ended if it is immediately hit by a large enough explosion.

I recommend that any test be conducted millions of lightyears away from the planet we have been operating on.  The Lurker's influence, while faster than light, does have a perceptible travel time.  Observation could enabled by a secondary QEC-equipped probe which detaches after transfer.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 20, 2016, 03:56:11 pm »

Those plant samples I had collected? Have them analyzed.

Send a small team of three soldiers out on a hunting trip. Have them return within two days or when they bag enough game to carry home, avoiding areas near the tribe. Have the animals analyzed.

Get a linguistics expert on the team and prepare an expedition to the tribe. Return my hands to "normal" i.e. I don't want my scalpel fingers at all right now.

Quote from: Ryan to Dester cc: Saint
I'm going to attempt to make first contact. First contact beyond probes, anyway. Hope to avoid association with probes. For now. Would rather not eliminate such an interesting species.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #591 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:10 am »

((Sorry about blocking the EUE--I didn't mean to do that.

I find it extremely worrying that origin tech works there.  Sure, all of our tech working is nice, and probably a large advantage for us, but that's also really disturbing.))

Stop spamming the EUE.  I'll probably edit this post later, but for now just do that.
OK

1. They find that the sapphire is made of materials that, in our universe, would be atomically unstable to the point of having half lives in the minutes or seconds. Something about the proximity to the ground in that universe stabilized them.
((Does this mean Gus's sapphire is disintegrated now?))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do this:

(7,7,49) - Send another phase 1 probe to the same location for half a second, and then bring it back. Have the camera feed examined. Have another probe do the same thing 1 mile higher on the z axis.

Brambleverse- Send another phase 1 probe to the same location, and fly it over to the location where the flower disappeared. Has it reappeared? Is there any sign of the flower, or has it simply vanished from existence?

Order another probe to be deployed repeatedly to a single location not far from where the flower disappeared. It should be deployed for 15 minute intervals, in between which the camera and sensor data should be returned and examined. Do this as many times as possible over a 24 hour period.

New universe probes (time permitting):
6,6,-36
-36,-36,-36

His sapphire remains stable. Apparently it doesn't require constant exposure, just exposure at the time of creation.

Returns, again pieces are missing. Not all the same pieces, but pieces. One of them is the power system.

It seems to still be gone, though there's some sort of distortion over by the point it was attached to one of the giant bramble vines.

Watching to see if it comes back? It doesn't, at least not in the 24 hours you watch it.

Null
Null
Null
The probe returns far faster than it should, and it's trailing something. The air in the test chamber distorts and an enormous limb reaches out. It grabs hold of the wall of the test chamber and pulls. From cameras outside the chamber, in space, you can watch as the entire chamber seems to be pulled impossibly in on itself and then vanishes.

Quote from: C. Leroux -> Command D. Gree
I have made progress on work regarding the universe (123,456,789), which has the effect of coating probes in a "foil" that violently explodes outwards upon the slightest physical contact. I believe we may soon be able to harvest and transport it well enough to begin experimentation upon it, the most obvious application of course being that of a weapon. The problem is, this foil has demonstrated the capacity to render entire testing rooms inoperable.

Hence I would like to request the usage of a testing room under the disclaimer that it may very well be rendered inoperable by the experiments conducted within..

For my following actions I would like the define the following terms:
Claymore Foil Universe - The universe with coordinates (123,456,789) and the metallic foil
Plate Probe - A probe with modular plating that it can release so that it ends up with only one foil-covered plate left after venturing into the Claymore Foil Universe
Observer Probe - A simple probe with cameras that wait for a Plate Probe in a Null universe, each carries numerous Camera Drones and one Poke Drone
Camera Drone - A small expendable drone with high speed cameras that transmit their feeds to the Observer drone
Poke Drone - A small expendable drone designed to be released by an Observer Probe and moved to collide with a Plate Probe's foil-covered plate

• Send a Plate Probe to the universe and then to a Null and detach all the other plates. Have the Observer Probe hide on the side of the Plate Probe opposite the remaining foil-covered plate. The Camera Drones will spread out and observe as the Poke Drone makes a head-on collision. Observe the scatter pattern of the foil and the residue, as well as their velocity and any sort of odd phenomena.
  • Repeat 1. but with different Poke Probe collision angles. Observe the effects on the scatter pattern.
  • Repeat 1. but with a different Plate Probe plate shapes, such as concave and convex plates. Observe the effects on the scatter pattern.
  • Send the results of 1. 2. and 3. to some qualified NPC members to extrapolate the data and model what sort of shape is ideal for the purpose of use in an artillery shell. Repeat 1. with that sort of shape.
  • Send the results of 1. 2. 3. and 4. to some qualified NPC members to extrapolate the data and model what sort of shape is ideal for the purpose of use in a projectile weapon. Repeat 1. with that sort of shape.
  • Repeat 1. but have two plates of the Plate Probe remain foil covered. The plates should be very close to each other, but not touching. Does triggering one set off the other?
Try again, with hopefully less dead languages screaming NOPE.
1. It explodes, with the explosion starting at the point of contact and rapidly spreading across the surface of the foil. The patterns after this point follow known physics models and do not appear unique in their actions, though the force behind them is extreme.
2. Again, within known parameters. The thing explodes outward, like a claymore, despite there being nothing "behind" it .
3. Seems to make no difference. The plates still explode from the first touch, and they still just slice straight through the probe.
4-5. They say that there's gonna be some difficulty in creating a shell or bullet when you can't touch the fucking thing without it exploding.
6.No.

Can I get an update on the scouts sent to explore other glass spheres in the glass sphere verse ( the first probe entered in a very dry desert enclosed in a giant glass sphere, and we sent probes into orbit to look for other spheres and found some. Teleporting scoutships near those spheres was inexact and required a couple turns for the scouts to arrive. I don't believe our scouts arrived last time I checked.

Begin sending scouts into orgyverse to different solar systems and different galaxies. Look for signs of more of this civilization (or other civs), as well as signs of habitable planets outside the apparent range of this civilization. This will be an ongoing action until we have explored the knowable limits of this civ, at least, however many turns that takes.

Edit: Send out a request to all ARM operatives who retain either an amp, or synthflesh, or another form of origin tech to make themselves available for some horrible, agonizing, inhumane testing exploration and experimentation. This request need not bother high level operatives currently on very dangerous missions.

Time permitting, send probes to new universes:
0, 0, 8
0, 8, 0
8, 0, 0

Quote from: Dester to Saint cc All BlOps teammates
I am curious about  the effectiveness of Origin tech in the Orgyverse. I am assuming this is because of the dramatic similarity to our own universe in terms of physical makeup, I wonder thogh, if our origin tech transported to that universe retains it's connection to this Lurker being. While I understand that there is no 'safe' way to test this, is there, perhaps, a way to test this within a reasonable level of risk? Perhaps we could send some origin tech user across and have them test the reliability of an amp, or synthflesh, or a manipulator?
They're nearly there. Next time.

Looking. Initial scans and data indicate that there is wide spread colonization, perhaps even greater in scope and number than mankind's dominion before the altered wars. But this is just an initial scan using intercepted signals and various other data gathering.  Whatever they are, they're advanced, wide spread and not human.

(You should send that message yourself. Specifically post it in the vet threads, since they're the only ones likely to still have one and not be busy. )

The First probe doesn't see anything. As in it seems to teleport into an area of total and absolute darkness, including all spectrum of light, sound and other input our senses can comprehend. But it comes back scuffed, as though it hit something.

Null

The third probe returns, but you don't know what happened with it because the sods in charge of handling it lose their goddamn minds and just start screaming and trying to escape.

Quote from:  Vincent re: All Blops Teammates
I'm down for testing this. I'm sure we have plenty of remaining suicidal team-mates who would be more than happy to get another chance to go full out with amps. I suggest we do this on a seperate planet in this universe however

Phase 3 probes to the bioluminesent section of the cave-verse

Get an area set up on heph that is large enough to keep all the current inhabitants of cave verse quarantined on heph. If there is enough time this turn, after the quarantine area is set up, bring the colonists of cave verse back

You know this isn't the same as the other cave-verse right? Different place? Mushroom people? Anyways, the bioluminesent stuff is safe. It's just fairly mundane fungi as far as you an tell.

Done.

Those plant samples I had collected? Have them analyzed.

Send a small team of three soldiers out on a hunting trip. Have them return within two days or when they bag enough game to carry home, avoiding areas near the tribe. Have the animals analyzed.

Get a linguistics expert on the team and prepare an expedition to the tribe. Return my hands to "normal" i.e. I don't want my scalpel fingers at all right now.

Quote from: Ryan to Dester cc: Saint
I'm going to attempt to make first contact. First contact beyond probes, anyway. Hope to avoid association with probes. For now. Would rather not eliminate such an interesting species.
Ok. They seem fairly normal. Slightly different than earth flora but nothing special.

The animals here seem to be mostly...well they seem related to cephalopods in a very general sense. But they display limited signs of protein effects related to the moon signal. Seems that whatever that thing is, it's targeted at humans...or human analogs in this case.

Ok, edward scalpel hands is no more.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #592 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:23 am »

Certainly is quiet in here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »

That would explain why I haven't gotten any updated topic notifications. Huh .. I didn't even post in here.

Alright, lessee.

Check with the glass sphere verse. Probes arrived yet? What to they find? Have them orbit the spheres looking for irregularities in the shell, and of course checking eh insides visually and all that.

Orgyverse: No action: Been waiting on the other players involved in that universe, since we are dealing with a massive civilization, and they have had some form of contact there.

Testing room where the sods are losing their minds: have another sod look in via video feed and describe what it sees. If the probe looks normal, or he loses his mind, send the probe back to the universe it came from, and see if the sods settle.

Probes to new universes
8, 8, 0
8, 0, 8
0, 8, 8
8, 8, 8

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 25, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »

((Gotta love finals season, eh?))

Quote from: Ryan to BlOps
Initiating first contact. Will be out of comms reach for some time. Wish me luck.

It's time to initiate First Contact. Dress for the weather; no biohazard suits. A small excursion into protein-breakdown-land shouldn't hurt. Unless it does. Then return home.

Let's take a linguist, a guard, a scout, and myself. Try to find a "main" path into the settlement. Be non-hostile in our approach.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 25, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »

Blacklist -36,-36,-36. Have still photographs of the arm, as well as the footage of the testing room's destruction, forwarded to any biologists and Mission 21 survivors we can get in contact with. I want professional opinions on what sort of creature such an arm could belong to, as well as confirmation that I didn't just stumble upon the lurker again.

Have one of my underlings compose a letter to Hephaestus, detailing the destruction of the testing chamber and requesting a new one be constructed. Request that the new chamber include an explosive self destruct feature, for safety reasons.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 25, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »

Phase 1 to:

(I just mashed my keyboard. I'm gonna check the wiki after I post, and I'm going to be upset if any of those universes are taken... I'm losing purpose in this mission xD... also I almost hit 12,34,56 on a button mash. I must subconsciously really like number patterns... I mean, I consciously really like number patterns, but that must also be subconscious I guess. I also can't speel)

Can I sneak some Pi into the search for universes?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:00:02 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:04 pm »

Orgyverse:
1.First, withdraw all scout ships that have been sent into the orgyverse.  Then send 24 (or however many we have available) hexsand-coated stealth ships.  Put them into orbit around the metallic moon, using the same orbits as GPS satellites, and direct them to map the entire surface in as great a detail as they can.  Yes, setting this up will probably take awhile.

2.Send a probe one trillion light years away, in any direction.  This will send the probe a distance which is at least 5.5x the diameter of the observable universe in real life, and at most 16.6x that distance.  Does the probe even return?  If so, what's it see?  Blackness, or stars?

Home Universe:

3.That probe I sent a trillion light years away in Orgyverse?  Do it again, but in our own universe.  Compare the results with what we saw in Orgyverse.

4.A couple of turns ago, you said we'd be ready to assemble the first tiny size EUEs.  Send the parts of one to the Cavern Verse, and assemble it there, then test it.  Also, assemble the second tiny size EUE in our home universe, and have it start doing rapid transfer of QEC probes to and from the orgyverse, so that we have continual communication with the stealthships and away team.

5.Oh, there were some sods that were hugging a probe.  When asked, they said that they felt they had to hug the probe, and if they let go, they would die.  Ask them if they fear death, because I was under the impression that sods don't care about death.  Regardless of the answer, have them all incinerated.

6.Blacklist (7,7,49), the universe which causes pieces to disappear from probes whenever we send them.  I'd rather some schmuck not feed an alien god our universe-transfer tech.

Meta:

7.Would you mind if, rather than randomly testing universes slowly like we have been, we instead just tested a bunch of universes from, say (435,712,0) to (435,712,99), just ignoring all universes that didn't look like they could even support a space station, and which didn't have some dangerous effect on our universe?  We've been getting really, really low amounts of universes which look particularly habitable.

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: M26 Team
I find the civilization within (-7,-7,-7) increasingly worrying.  While I doubt it would be capable of resisting a full scale invasion, such an action would be inherently dangerous--and there is the distinct possibility that their attempts to resist us would lead to them dooming their own universe, much as humans have done.  Frankly, there is even greater risk of humans being the one to summon that universe's doom.  Diplomacy could be an option, but certainly not before we know more of this civilization.

I highly recommend the team that is currently within (-7,-7,-7) come back, as they stand more risk of being discovered than stealth ships, and they will likely learn little from the primitive denizens of that planet.  Additionally, I recommend that any experiments undertaken in that universe not be of an easily discovered form.  I'm currently sending a probe far beyond the probable bounds of the spacefaring empire, and if it shows no alien presence, we will have a riskless place to run simple experiments.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:21 pm »

7.Would you mind if, rather than randomly testing universes slowly like we have been, we instead just tested a bunch of universes from, say (435,712,0) to (435,712,99), just ignoring all universes that didn't look like they could even support a space station, and which didn't have some dangerous effect on our universe?  We've been getting really, really low amounts of universes which look particularly habitable.[/b]
((It sounds pretty labor-intensive on his end.))
Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: M26 Team
I find the civilization within (-7,-7,-7) increasingly worrying.  While I doubt it would be capable of resisting a full scale invasion, such an action would be inherently dangerous--and there is the distinct possibility that their attempts to resist us would lead to them dooming their own universe, much as humans have done.  Frankly, there is even greater risk of humans being the one to summon that universe's doom.  Diplomacy could be an option, but certainly not before we know more of this civilization.

I highly recommend the team that is currently within (-7,-7,-7) come back, as they stand more risk of being discovered than stealth ships, and they will likely learn little from the primitive denizens of that planet.  Additionally, I recommend that any experiments undertaken in that universe not be of an easily discovered form.  I'm currently sending a probe far beyond the probable bounds of the spacefaring empire, and if it shows no alien presence, we will have a riskless place to run simple experiments.

((...And I'm out of comm range as of my post. Sorry Syv! I suppose we'll find out what's up in a few turns though, huh?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:42 am »

Quote from: Dester to: BlOps
As far as the civilization in orgyverse, I am not overly concerned if it encompasses no more than one galaxy. If we can enter that universe at a distance, well and good. I am more interested in origin tech's effect n that universe and the question of whether the link between the Lurker and the Origin tech is broken in that universe.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54