Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 94029 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2016, 01:33:26 pm »

Travel through the largest connection between cavern 2 and another cavern (call it, oh, I don't know: cavern 3?). Continue in this manner (going cavern to cavern via large orifices) until either time runs out or we encounter signs of life or intelligence, or danger.

Doctor McTaalik wanted to know if he could hit the Ceiling of the cavern with a grappling hook. Doc, you can't - the cavern is planet sized. Larger than earth.

Edit: If the probe that Saint is sending in (Syv's post below) makes contact with us, report that cavern 2 has large mineral deposits and connects to other caverns. Nothing else to report.
Edit Edit: Pulled out? because an Arm agent woke from stasis? Is there some crisis regarding this agent, or some other situation I need to know about? if not, wait the full day and pull us out on schedule. Of course, if there is a situation, bring us back at your discretion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:58:47 am by Ozarck »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2016, 01:42:24 pm »

((Thanks, Ozarck.))

If the field of sapphires is close enough, cut off one of the growths and examine it. Then, follow Dester.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2016, 04:40:55 pm »

Purge Spider-verse testing chamber.
Add Spider-verse to Dester's do not go to these universes
Change pants.

Have a critter probe drop the animals off on the populated area of the fractal-verse, and monitor what happens for an hour. Simultaniously have a normal phase 4 probe just hang around un-seen

Phase 1 to 11,11,11
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »

((Don't kill the spiders! they might be friendly!  :o))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2016, 08:25:57 pm »

((Sorry. Everything's gotta be killed by fire.))

"Shit, goddamnit, that hurt," Ryan mutters to himself as he waits for the return to home.

Re-set my nose while I'm here, jump home like planned, order a probe to 17,3,18 before seeing the infirmary for some mild painkillers.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

((Give them to the Doctor! Just run over to the Doctor and dump a box of spiders at his feet.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »

1.Send a probe into the cavern 'verse for thirty minutes.  Have it send a request for any interesting information to the away team.  Also, have it send a message saying that Charles, one of the non-admin ARM operatives stationed on Heph, has woken up from stasis catatonia which has lasted for a few years.  Ask if Dester would like to be pulled out.  After the probe returns, check if it received a response.

2.Since QECs work after transferring in our universe, try sending two ships with linked QECs into a null universe.  One should try to send a message to the other.  After ten minutes, bring them both back, and have a mook look at the data on both probes--was the message successfully transferred?

3.Do the QECs still work in this universe?  Mook is checking, as always.

Send stage 1 probes to:

4.(0,0,57)
5.(0,57,0)
6.(57,0,0)
7.(0,5,7)

((There's a note on the wiki saying that probes which travel for awhile in null universes are lost.  Where did that information come from?  I haven't found any PW post saying that.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »

Or you could just go poke the other universes.
Charles marches into the apocalypse labs, his holographic display off as has become customary for him. It was quiet, at least quieter than what he expected save for the occasional bang. Seems like a lot of things are going that way these days.
"I've come to assist, what needs to be done?"
Get orders.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:57:53 pm by Empiricist »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »

If Dester returns before Vincent, Saint, or Petra assign Charles some activities, he will do so. I imagine Dester and Gus will be back in a turn or two.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2016, 07:29:07 pm »

A nearby robosod twitches as Charles walks in, as it's holographic display changes to show "SS".  The robosod turns to Charles, and exclaims with a voice full of surprise and excitement "Charles!  You're awake?  Wondrous!"  He takes a moment to calm down, and returns to his normal tone of voice "Ah, half of our black ops assistants are exploring alternate universes at the moment; Only Vincent and Petra are in our universe, they are around here somewhere.  Their leader, Dester, is one of the ones exploring, but I can introduce you when he gets back."

"As for what needs to be done...  Well, we do not have any roles which particularly need to be filled, so you can just help out anywhere.  Currently, I'm experimenting with how our machine functions, testing its limitations.  The black ops team is doing most of the legwork of figuring out which universes are habitable.  We're all maintaining a list of universes we've visited, and what traits they possess."
  Saint pauses for a moment, and Charles' wristpad beeps.  "That link should allow you to access our database.  If any particular universe interests you, investigate it.  Alternatively, if none look promising to you, send probes to universes which we have not seen."

((I modified my action to inform Dester about Charles, if the probe makes contact.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2016, 08:08:23 pm »

"Indeed I am. It has been long, far too long since the last time I've left the VR. But well, you know the drill, there is not much use in making propaganda with the now less-than-United Worlds of Man too busy grasping at each others throats to listen.

It is good to see people again, real people I mean. I would ask the fate of your fellow admins, but your excitement doesn't fill me with much hope. Bah, no matter, they'll wake one day I'm sure, even if we have to do it ourselves. I trust that they'll be happy to wake up with tales of our colonies standing proudly in other universes, and until that time, there's nothing more we can do for them. I better familiarize myself with what we have so far first."

He gestures towards his wristpad as he follows the link.

Send a Phase Two probe equipped with sensors that can detect moisture in the air into the Cavernverse (0, 9, 0). Remember whether or not humanity has any efficient ways to synthesize water from air without needing manipulators.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:11:06 pm by Empiricist »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2016, 08:14:50 pm »

(( Vincent is probably too busy being scared shitless by sentient spiders to give orders right now xD))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2016, 08:17:20 pm »

((I have a feeling that Charles is soon going to regret not bringing his volatile ClF3 assault rifle into the lab full of expensive and delicate equipment.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:22 am »

@syvarris

Send a more durable drone ship into 0, 0, 1. Give it more powerful sensors, and make sure it is protected against the observed heat and radiation levels. Program it to activate it's sensors and travel in a straight line, avoiding obstacles that it detects. Leave it run for an hour, then recall it. If we find no new information, send it back and leave it to run for a day.

Send in our Phase 1 and 2 boxes to universes 0, 0, +/-9;    0, +/-9, 0;    and +/-9, 0, 0;  (I assume from the last tests that you understand that +/- means one box goes to +9, one to -9, in that order)

(@ Ryan, I believe that the slime came from 5, 0, 0, and that -5, 0, 0 was a standard, hot, radiated void)
You attempt to recall the advanced drone after an hour and the machine registers an error. It says it can't find the tag.
0, 0, +/-9: Null, Probe returns, but there is no data in the drives, no elements in the cargo and it no longer projects a shadow.
0, +/-9, 0: Probe returns with readings that are oddly livable, chilly but livable, and video of what appears to be a large enclosed area. An uneven surface can be seen in front of the probe, but the probe hasn't been told to move so it sort of just sits there staring out into the dark for a minute before returning. No noticeable change to the elements.  The other universe is Null.
+/-9, 0, 0: Null, Something which appears null but is far hotter. Sensors pick up what looks like a starscape but...well, smudged and far too great. As though the entire universe was covered in the hazy glow of galactic cores, all smeared together across the void.

Also, modified my action to reply to the thing about Charles awakening.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:04:54 am by Ozarck »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2016, 10:23:00 am »

Travel through the largest connection between cavern 2 and another cavern (call it, oh, I don't know: cavern 3?). Continue in this manner (going cavern to cavern via large orifices) until either time runs out or we encounter signs of life or intelligence, or danger.

Doctor McTaalik wanted to know if he could hit the Ceiling of the cavern with a grappling hook. Doc, you can't - the cavern is planet sized. Larger than earth.

Edit: If the probe that Saint is sending in (Syv's post below) makes contact with us, report that cavern 2 has large mineral deposits and connects to other caverns. Nothing else to report.
Edit Edit: Pulled out? because an Arm agent woke from stasis? Is there some crisis regarding this agent, or some other situation I need to know about? if not, wait the full day and pull us out on schedule. Of course, if there is a situation, bring us back at your discretion.

Well, time is basically out already, so we're gonna have you return.

He just needs to throw REALLY HARD.

((Thanks, Ozarck.))

If the field of sapphires is close enough, cut off one of the growths and examine it. Then, follow Dester.
We're gonna say you return, carrying a sapphire the size of your head.

Purge Spider-verse testing chamber.
Add Spider-verse to Dester's do not go to these universes
Change pants.

Have a critter probe drop the animals off on the populated area of the fractal-verse, and monitor what happens for an hour. Simultaniously have a normal phase 4 probe just hang around un-seen

Phase 1 to 11,11,11

Pest controlling.

Well they fucking die BECAUSE THEY CONTINUE TO NOT BE ABLE TO BREATHE ARGON! As per the things there, they move to investigate the bodies as soon as they hit lattice, but after a few tentative pokes with newly grown metal limbs, they retreat back to the glowing whatever it is. They seem uninterested.

The probe doesn't come back. All that comes back, strangely, is  a bit of gold vapor.

((Sorry. Everything's gotta be killed by fire.))

"Shit, goddamnit, that hurt," Ryan mutters to himself as he waits for the return to home.

Re-set my nose while I'm here, jump home like planned, order a probe to 17,3,18 before seeing the infirmary for some mild painkillers.

You get back and get some aspirin

The probe comes back and immediately starts moving. It scrapes across the ground until it slams into a wall and then starts grinding up it.

"Indeed I am. It has been long, far too long since the last time I've left the VR. But well, you know the drill, there is not much use in making propaganda with the now less-than-United Worlds of Man too busy grasping at each others throats to listen.

It is good to see people again, real people I mean. I would ask the fate of your fellow admins, but your excitement doesn't fill me with much hope. Bah, no matter, they'll wake one day I'm sure, even if we have to do it ourselves. I trust that they'll be happy to wake up with tales of our colonies standing proudly in other universes, and until that time, there's nothing more we can do for them. I better familiarize myself with what we have so far first."

He gestures towards his wristpad as he follows the link.

Send a Phase Two probe equipped with sensors that can detect moisture in the air into the Cavernverse (0, 9, 0). Remember whether or not humanity has any efficient ways to synthesize water from air without needing manipulators.
There's no detectable moisture in the air, but we can synthesize it so long as we have oxygen and hydrogen.

1.Send a probe into the cavern 'verse for thirty minutes.  Have it send a request for any interesting information to the away team.  Also, have it send a message saying that Charles, one of the non-admin ARM operatives stationed on Heph, has woken up from stasis catatonia which has lasted for a few years.  Ask if Dester would like to be pulled out.  After the probe returns, check if it received a response.

2.Since QECs work after transferring in our universe, try sending two ships with linked QECs into a null universe.  One should try to send a message to the other.  After ten minutes, bring them both back, and have a mook look at the data on both probes--was the message successfully transferred?

3.Do the QECs still work in this universe?  Mook is checking, as always.

Send stage 1 probes to:

4.(0,0,57)
5.(0,57,0)
6.(57,0,0)
7.(0,5,7)

((There's a note on the wiki saying that probes which travel for awhile in null universes are lost.  Where did that information come from?  I haven't found any PW post saying that.))
Well, we can assume that's transmitted, rather meaningless though it is.

Well they both vanish because those null universes aren't very nice if you hang around in them for a while. I've been assuming that move through them and scanning was done very fast.

Yes.

The probe from 4. doesn't seem to come back. Or...it's a bit odd; the probe signals that it has returned, and the sensors show it to have returned, but there's nothing visible in the room.

Everyone can hear something now. It sounds sort of like a hiss or maybe the sound of foam slowly dissolving.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54