Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 93904 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: You Monster
« Reply #480 on: March 17, 2016, 09:08:45 pm »

((Honestly shooting at things that are by all appearances FUCKING ANGELS seems like the slightly less psychopathic but much much more suicidal action here.
You should be glad that they are seemingly content to just destroy any probes that come, rather than obliterating our reality.))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 17, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »

Quote from:  Vincent to: Steve Saint
Not at all then Saint. While I wont deny that I have an ethical objective to being a conqueror, there are objective reasons why that is a harmful stance. Since we will not possibly have all the information on any universe we jump to before we abandon ours, we cannot know the true power of any enemy we are waging war upon before we jump to that universe. It is FAR safer for humanity for us to enter as peace bearers and nuetrals than to enter as enemies. If you don't want to risk ill intent, it would be best to avoid populated universes entirely. Humanity will not always be the strongest on the block, and if we ever bump into a race that treats alien species like we do, we wont be so lucky as to forever be able to jump universes. If we are to continue surviving, we must learn to cooperate. And yes, I didn't read the reports on 3,3,0 I haven't been paying attention to universes other than the ones I am focussing on. I am not strong enough to avoid paying attention to a universe populated by beautiful women however

After reviewing 3,3,0

I just reviewed 3,3,0. I do not think you should be in charge of any universe in which we come in contact with lifeforms. Any universe habitable to us is likely habitable to other creatures. You are screwing over our chances of survival by resorting to violence so easily

Quote from:  Vincent to: Dester
I don't think Saint should be allowed further contact with any universe found to inhabit non threatening life forms. In reviewing the universes he has been in charge of, I have found he too quickly resorts to violence in dealing with unknown threats. I believe this is a threat to our survival as a human race as any universe habitable to us will likely also be habitable to other species, and entering a new universe already at war with it's original inhabitants doesn't help our chance of survival

((Syv, let me know if you want me to remove that last part {the message to Dester}, I like rping in character, but not at the cost of anyone elses fun))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:21 pm »

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: Operative Vincent Klart
On the contrary, forming a relationship with another civilization exposes us to more danger, as it allows them the chance to obtain our universe transferring technology.  If we observe another universe, and find the inhabitants to be more powerful than us, they either destroy the tags, or we bring the tags home and do not send more.  However, forming a lasting relationship with another civilization provides the risk that they have the opportunity to disassemble a neglected tag, and more importantly, the opportunity to learn of our data on other universes which we have colonized.

Unless Dester requests I stop, I will continue my work in (-7,-7,-7) and (3,3,0).  However, I do believe it is foolish to antagonize my coworkers, so out of respect for you, I will not open relations with any other civilizations.

((Nah, go ahead--I'm enjoying this.  Anyway, Saint's already relenting even without Oz pulling rank. ;p))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 17, 2016, 09:55:59 pm »

Fair enough, that seems like a fair compromise. We've already been marked as hostile in those universes, so stopping now isn't going to change anything, as much as I disagree with it. We at least agree on the issue of teamwork.

After replying to Saint

Quote from:  Vincent to: Dester
Scratch that, Saint has agreed to cease interactions with further extrauniversal contact if I let him continue with his work on -7,-7,-7 and 3,3,0. I believe that to be a fair compromise as he has already poisoned the well with those universes

((and just like that the drama is over =P))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 17, 2016, 10:16:09 pm »

((I should probably note at this point that I bear no OOC grudge or ill-will against Saint (or, by extension, syv). Nor do I have any desire to get him kicked off the mission.

Also, regarding syv's edited action: autocorrect software doesn't address the root of the problem here. Gus is an uneducated, tactless imbecile with sausage fingers and severe brain damage, mashing out sentence fragments on a tiny device he doesn't really understand to people whose opinions he doesn't really value. Spell-check or no, the end result is going to be a jumbled, poorly formatted mess.))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 17, 2016, 11:13:09 pm »

...All thing considered, a vivisection autopsy isn't that hard with a full kit of other doctors. Go ahead without the mod. Let's find out what makes thes ladies tick, eh?

After autopsy, send tissue samples in for molecular analysis. How similar to our biology are they?

Send new probe to:

Quote from: Ryan to Saint
I propose we allow a single male volunteer to sleep with one of the females from the orgy-verse (We should also find a better name for the universe).

Also, are these women inhabiting the entire livable universe, or a single planet?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:22:13 pm by Gentlefish »

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 18, 2016, 07:25:45 am »

((God damnit, now I have that song stuck in myvhead!))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 18, 2016, 02:12:29 pm »

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: Operative Ryan Jorgensen
I fail to see what we could learn by observing sexual relations, which we could not learn by simpler methods such as autopsy.  Please, do enlighten me.

We have not yet gotten a close look at any other planet within universe (-7,-7,-7), so we cannot know if there is life anywhere else.  Thank you for asking, however, as the question is quite valid--I will send a scoutship to another planet.

((@Doctor
Yeah, I don't bear any ill will either--and I'm mildly surprised you bear none towards Saint, as he is a monster.  I also don't have any desire to be kicked off the mission, but I find it more entertaining if I finagle out of that IC rather than OOC.

As to the spellchecking... well, even if the grammar's horrible, it'll prevent Gus from ever sending "hte" again.  Also, Saint is considering fixing the partial root of the problen, by forcibly installing an intelligence mod on Gus.

Only to be horrified when said mod still leaves Gus below-average, but oh well.))

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:57 pm »

((I think it's a bit much to just assume that all possible contact is done. There is the chance that there is more than one settlement in that -7,-7,-7 and probably the other one.))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 18, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »

Quote from: Dester Gree to: All Extrauniversal Exploration Personnel
I just woke up fro ma rather longer nap than I expected to take. I expect I was rather exhausted, due to the long hours and rather stressful nature of our work. I have been reading the conversations that have been going on since I lay my head down yesterday afternoon. I would like to make a few things clear, now that the situation has been exposed and discussed.

First, I'd like to commend you all, first on your humanity - to be appalled at wanton destruction proves that you are no mere monsters, but have true human hearts and the desire for goodrather than simple destruction. I am once again proud to be part of such a group.

Second, I personally authorized Mr. Saint to experiment in universe -7, -7, -7 (called succubiverse, informally), though I did not need to authorize him to operate in 3, 3, 0 (holyverse), as we had not blacklisted that one. So, though the methods were not mine, and I would have objected had they been proposed to me, I take responsibility for them nonetheless.

Third, I want you all to use this as a reminder on two things. One - the multiverse is a monstrous mess, and it is more often destructive to humanity than beneficial. And two, humanity is capable of great destructiveness as well. it is in our nature to destroy, sometimes without thought to the consequences, and sometimes, consequences be damned. Mr. Saint demonstrates this adage pretty clearly. Remember who we are and who we work for. We, formerly of the HMRC, we convicts, whether imprisoned due to our own actions or to the wickedness of our rulers, we, under the rule of an AI which cares first and foremost for the end goal, an damn the consequences to the ones caught in the struggle - we have seen and done, and we will see and do, things beyond our liking. You Black Ops brethren of mine. remember our last mission.

That said, I am glad we are trying to minimize the harm we do, whether because we care, or out of pragmatic reasons. From this point forward, I request that any destructive testing be held off until such a time as it is determined necessary. if there is an emergency, of course everyone is authorized to do what needs done. But when we have time to explore, let's do so peaceably first. And please bring destructive testing requests to myself, Mr. Vincent Klart and Mr. Steve Saint before acting on them, so that we can discuss their need and viability before doing something we'll regret.

I authorize shore leave for anyone in need of a break from our duties, to refresh and reflect on our assignment, and to enjoy life for a while. If succubiverse turns out ot be hospitable, I'll authorize shore leave there as well. So you all have that to look forward to, provided you can demonstrate that that verse is not a cosmic flytrap.

Quote from:
I find your perspective on other civilizations to be somewhat limited. To hide form all risk is as risky as to jump headlong into it. sheltering oneself from every possible risk has been shown historically and scientifically to be self harming. perhaps you have read about risk-reward analysis? Contact with other civilizations could be beneficial to us, even if the civ ultimately turns out to be hostile. I understand that you are very cautious by nature, but don't let cold, ruthless, short term self interest could your mind. To truly be safe, risk is necessary. otherewise, we should dismantle the universe exploration device and return to the warm embrace of the UWM, close our eyes and ears to the idea of the Altered, and wish for the best. I don't advise trust of these other civilizations - my experiments with the spiders are being done with safeguards, after all - but I do advise having an eye on the possible benefits as well as the possible dangers.

I believe we can be frank with one another on these matters. Please keep me informed of additional destructive testing when possible.

ps. I understand that you suffered some ill effects from that mind worm universe we encountered a while back. How has taht situation resolved itself? Are you still suffering the effects?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 18, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »

Quote from:  Gordon Freeman to: Dester Gree
I understand that you are the one in charge of testing alternate universes? I would like to join your team in some capacity.
I do have some experience in related fields, though this work is unprecedented.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 18, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »

I understand that you are the one in charge of testing alternate universes? I would like to join your team in some capacity.
((MY XD SO PERFECT!))
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 18, 2016, 08:14:38 pm »

Quote from:  Dester Gree to: Gordon Freeman
I am reviewing your ARM file. It is rather sparse. It also reads that you are assigned to Team Avalanche of a civilian rescue and transport mission. Am I misinformed? How did you come to be in this system instead of on that mission? And if I may ask, who directed you to me?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:24 pm »

Quote from:  Admin Steve Saint  to: BLOPS Lead Dester Gree
I disagree with you about the dangers of minimizing risk.  I have lived for nearly thirteen decades, and in my youth, I was a very bold individual.  When I saw opportunities that could catapult me years forward, I took them, and while it did work for me the first couple times, it eventually landed me in the HMRC.  That strong lesson taught me to become more cautious, only taking risks that were unlikely to significantly harm me.

I died twice before I realized the HMRC is not a good place to take any risks.  I was lucky to come back, but I watched others who were not as lucky.  I decided to come to Hephaestus, so that I wouldn't have to roll those deadly dice again.

When I came here, I was one of four administrators, and I was by far the most cautious, refusing to take any risk.  The other three are no longer truly alive, and each of them has taken risks at some point which endangered an entire planet, an entire system, or in Dr. Sanctor's case, an entire universe.   I am the only one who has not caused any such dangers.  Their risktaking behavior did not grant them any great boons, but it did end up dooming almost everyone in this universe.  My cautious behavior, on the other hand, has led to me surviving longer than any of the others, with greater boons then they even hoped for.  I refuse to ignore a century of experience that says risk is unnecessary and dangerous, especially when the lives of everyone we plan to save hang in the balance.

That said, for now I do not believe friendly associations with other civilizations will provide a catastrophic risk to humanity.  Most likely, only a handful of people will die.  I doubt any real benefit will be gained either, since these other beings exist in universes which are fundamentally unlike our own, but I have come to expect surprise from the multiverse.  To my mind, the minor chance of benefit is still not worth the guarantee of harm, but it is not such a grave mistake that I will fight with you over it; as I said, I will not personally open relations with any other civilizations.

Now, with that dealt with, I will answer your other questions.

Yes, in the future, I will alert you to any destructive testing I plan to do.  Need I wait for you to authorize every use of force, or should I use my own discretion?

No, I am not suffering any hindrances from that anomaly.  I have permanently lost the function of my arms, but I have utilized computers and sods to control my body for so long that it makes no difference.  I could have chosen to forget the experience and regain that minor function, but I believe the memory of the event is more valuable; it likely grants me resistance or immunity to similar anomalies.

Lastly, you mentioned that if we were trying to minimize risk, we should dismantle the universe exploration device, and return to fighting against the UWM and altered.  I could not agree more, except for the fact that the UWM and Altered are no longer of any concern.  Remember, we are running from an alien god, not something which we have any chance of fighting or recieving mercy from.  I minimize risk, but I do not pretend it is possible to eliminate it.

((Oz, the one question in there is asking how you want to handle the notifications OOC.  Should I be waiting for you to say "that's okay", or should I just be assuming that Dester now has knowledge of any bolded action that involves destruction?  The former would be kinda annoying.

Also, Egan can probably communicate by QEC if nothing else.  He can talk to the Sword, and the Sword can talk to Heph.  People have texted Saint (and other admins) from the Sword's network before.  It is a mystery how he knew to contact you, though.  I doubt our comms network flags BLOPs people as such, especially not BLOPs acting leaders.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »

((Just assume Dester is aware of bolded actions, but if you have a long action with something like that buried halfway down, I might not see it, so consider that. As for Egan, I am sure he has QEC with the Sword and all. Besides, Steve isn't physically in the Sword anyway. IC, Gordon just herded a bunch of people to a portal and stepped through with the, and Dester's first notification of his existence was his note just now.))

Quote from:  Dester Gree  to: Steve Saint
I understand your viewpoint on risk. I did not mean "fight" with the UWM. I meant, their attitude toward risk was to pretend the Alered couldn't come back, and take no scientific risks, to the point of forcibly preventing the worlds under them from doing so either. Those scientific risks were necessary to attempt to stop the resurgent and "star eating" Altered. And, while Mr Sanctor may have been involved in a situation that threatened this universe, I do not believe he was the cause of it. You have seen what happened when we brought a black rod from another universe - that alien entity was coming regardless. The risk that team took at least alerted us to the fact. And ofcourse, there is alwaysthe risk that things will end badly. that's life. We live, we die. We all die.

Forgive me, I ramble. You do not need explicit permission to act defensively against threats - I would be foolish to say you do, especially remembering what i do of the mind worm incident. Your quick thinking and preparation saved us there. as with the black rod incident. I am thankful that you are watching over the team in such a way, and hope that that drive to self preservation will continue to extend to your teammates on this mission for as long as we are exposed to these risks. I am also glad that you have adapted to the effects of the mindworm so well. Keep up the good work. We've got places to go.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54