Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DWARVEN ANTHEM  (Read 2907 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DWARVEN ANTHEM
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 04:54:09 pm »

I like the metal music, but I'd rather the game stick to original stuff made by Toady's own hand and mind. Maybe it should have a few more tracks, but they should be similar to the one we have now.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »

This is a favourite. I'll try find the Kogan one, it's more sombre.
+1

This is, at the very least, the theme song for this particular release. Abod ber!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 05:01:53 pm »

to be fair, about 50% of the games legend/notoriety stems directly from fan works. I found this game though Oilfurnace.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »

I can see the point, long as the fan works picked were ones that fell within the game's reach itself. Metal's a bit out of bounds for that, you know? It's great for real life, but within the game we ought to be hearing things the dwarves could reasonably hear too.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »

I know that this isn't on the list, but I think that the dwarf fortress theme is the best musical representation of the game out there.  It is has a melancholic and foreboding tone throughout, and gives the feeling of a old bard telling of the fall of a fortress know only now as a myth.  I can't think of any better summation of dwarf fortress than that.  A tale of greed and tragedy, of hubris and downfall, of greatness and some catastrophe that has evermore shrouded the events of that long lost place in mystery.

And just as a side note, not all anthems have words to them.  The Spanish national anthem is most often played without words, and the EU's anthem has no official lyrics.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 07:35:28 pm »

I nominate this.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 09:44:51 pm »

When I relented on Toady being the one to do this, I was thinking of that thread. If anything's going to do this right, it's the game itself.

Wouldn't that be awesome? The game writing its own anthem.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 10:27:37 pm »

Trappington the list is just ones that more than 3 people seem to like. Ill update it eventually
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 03:59:45 am »

Honestly you shouldn't be trying to get any of these recognized as an official dwarven anthem. That will never happen. The game already has an excellent theme played by Toady himself.

This thread is still awesome as a repository of very dwarfy songs.

Here's a remix of the DF theme.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 12:34:09 am »

The DF fort mode theme (the original, the remix, the orchestral arrangement, the rock cover, etc., take your pick) is the anthem as far as I'm concerned, but the game could benefit from a few more tracks in the same style.  Toady's time is better spent developing the game, so it'd probably just be some of his input into a compilation made by fans.

I'd be really curious what the Toad thinks would be the appropriate topics.  Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Underground?  Dwarf, Elf, Human, Goblin, Kobold, Animal Person?  Serene, Joyous Wilds, ..., Haunted, Terrifying? (Personally I'd go with the last one, but then again I'm not doing any of the composing.)

Edit: To get a notion of what I mean by "tracks in the same style" while remaining distinct, listen to something like Archangel (though for DF I'd recommend less vocalizing).  And my kids absolutely love Diggy Diggy Hole.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:12:02 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 09:18:25 am »

I think that we should have some people come up with songs.Not songs, really, but more like epics timed to music. Additionally, i wonder if anyones got like a template for songs to be created In game randomly.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 10:11:21 am »

I think that we should have some people come up with songs.Not songs, really, but more like epics timed to music. Additionally, i wonder if anyones got like a template for songs to be created In game randomly.
That's part of why I linked to a Two Steps from Hell album up there, to encourage people to check out their other stuff. While Archangel is the closest to pure fantasy, to my untrained ear SkyWorld is a more cohesive collection of epic pieces.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 11:34:18 am »

We should have a somewhat sad but powerful song for our anthem. Seeing as the best part of DF is the stories we make with it, and how all of our stories inevitably end in tragedy for the inhabitants of our fortresses.

IDK, something along the lines of a dorf-ified version of Danny Boy?

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »

We already have an "anthem." Just turn on the game, there's music. Start DF mode, there's music.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:58 pm »

This must be the anthem for version 0.42.xx.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?
Pages: 1 [2] 3