Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A strange mood has me baffled  (Read 4670 times)

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: A strange mood has me baffled
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 05:08:12 pm »

I use showmood quite frequently and the cloth entries always look like to me. Can you get him to restart the process? If you deconstruct the workshop? That should at least get him to pick back up the cloth.

I know showmood says any bone, but does your dwarf have a preference for a certain type of bone??? (I'm not sure if you can have preference for types of bones, but I vaguely remember seeing a dwarf who liked cat bone in one of my forts.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 05:09:40 pm »

They can have specific bones as a preference. Also, I recall seeing somewhere that deconstructing the workshop results in him instantly going insane.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 05:21:51 pm »

Update: PARTIAL SUCCESS! I forbade the fungiwood logs that Zon is using as base materials. Zon immediately went off and grabbed two more logs. Then, I had a weaver weave a new piece of cloth, and Zon ran to pick that up. He also picked up the cat bone stack...

...and now he's stuck on the rough gems. I have literally dozens of those. I don't even...what.

Meanwhile, mind you, I'm dealing with a simultaneous forgotten beast attack and necromancer siege, so my patience with this prima donna is wearing quite thin.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »

Funny that I mention cat bone and he goes and picks up cat bone. XD

Could we see his preferences by chance? Definitely check to see if he has a gem preference.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:21 pm »

Funny that I mention cat bone and he goes and picks up cat bone. XD

Could we see his preferences by chance? Definitely check to see if he has a gem preference.

Sure. Zon Wheelflare has a preference for only one gem--amethyst. But he's already picked up a cut moss opal, so I'm not sure if his preference actually means anything for this artifact. I'm also not sure if there are any amethyst clusters on the map.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 05:37:49 pm »

Cut gems are different from raw gems.  Since the problem seems to be not using existing materials, see if there are any nearby veins you can quickly mine out.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 05:53:17 pm »

Cut gems are different from raw gems.  Since the problem seems to be not using existing materials, see if there are any nearby veins you can quickly mine out.

I've started to mine out a nearby vein of pink tourmaline, but Zon doesn't seem interested. If he wants amethysts, he'll be disappointed. I used the "prospect" command in DFHack to list all resources at my site, including those that I haven't discovered yet, and there are no amethyst clusters anywhere.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 03:30:05 am »

Don't destruct the workshop. The dorf will immediately go insane if you do. I had one idiot who I figured wanted a smithy, and I was rather close to setting up a magma based workshop. I finished the magma forge. No reaction. I finished the magma access tunnel and let the magma in. As soon as the magma forge flashed to active (4/7 magma underneath) temporarily he rushed to claim the forge. Somehow he managed to get there before the influx had stabilized, so as soon as the fluctuation of the incoming magma removed the power from the forge after he claimed it he went bonkers. I save scummed, and he was slower the second time...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 11:09:38 am »

since forbidding the wood he had earlier then unforbidding got him moving, could you try doing the same with the gems to see what happens?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:30 pm »

since forbidding the wood he had earlier then unforbidding got him moving, could you try doing the same with the gems to see what happens?

I tried that, and it did nothing, so I gave up and walled him inside the workshop like that guy in The Cask of Amontillado. Good thing I did it right then, too, because shortly afterward he went berserk. I'll have the dwarves deconstruct the walls after he dies of thirst.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 02:23:29 pm »

He could be after his favorite gem, as well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 04:43:36 pm »

Sorry for the necro-post a bit, but I've been having the exact same problem.

While I frankly could give no less of a damn if this guy went mad, seeing as he's trying to eat up no less than three lumps of raw adamantine for a craft project, he simply won't go and get his last item. He wants:
Rocks x 3
Cloth thread x 2
Wood x 1
Bones x ?

He has the rocks (my adamantine, the scurvy dog), one of the cloth threads and the wood. We have every kind of thread and bone imaginable lying around (including silk, yarn, plant and metal threads, both dyed and undyed, and bones, hooves, horns, the works.)

I theorise it might be the bone-stacks - maybe he doesn't want a stack, he only wants a singular bone? He'll happily run off to recollect more things if I forbid what he has, and he has no cloth or bone preferences, as far as I can tell.

Help?
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 07:36:51 pm »

We have every kind of thread and bone imaginable lying around
By "thread" I assume you mean "woven cloth", since moody dwarves don't care about unwoven thread...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:18 pm »

Right, "cloth... thread" is just the possessed way of saying "cloth". And he may need wool, plant-based or silk (there's no indication which, unfortunately).
Akur Akir Akam!

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:59 am »

If the adamantine is more valuable to you than the mood succeeding, forbid it. Actually, you can forbid it and he'll likely just get another stone, no problem. But I doubt it'll solve the bug. Still, if he does succeed, you can save the adamantine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3