Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Older gamers, how has gaming changed for you?  (Read 7689 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Older gamers, how has gaming changed for you?
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2015, 05:15:20 pm »

Yeahhhh....the sarcasm falls about as flat at the complaints did, imho. But I give you points for trying to sound positive.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2015, 05:17:26 pm »

Yeahhhh....the sarcasm falls about as flat at the complaints did, imho. But I give you points for trying to sound positive.

It wasn't Sarcasm. I just rewrote everything I said before and made it a positive.

Hence why it "falls flat as sarcasm"

I even used some of your own words to fill in gaps. So unless you were sarcastic about indie games.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2015, 05:41:51 pm »

I was reading that and thinking "didn't I read this already?" This thread sure moved fast today.

I think there's probably still graphics competition in AAA games - if there wasn't, I'd be able to run the Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, etc. W3 at least supposedly improved on the engine massively but requires much stronger hardware as a result. I don't know about arkham knight. Maybe the folks who ported it just didn't care about people who haven't upgraded in a while, like they apparently didn't care about all the people with AMD cards.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 05:43:03 pm »

It is just a lot less muted today then it was in the past.

Not as many games going "Look at the graphics!!! graphics.... gameplay? uhhh... look graphics!" @_@

Anymore :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 05:46:45 pm »

I haven't seen a game that looked more technically competent than another game for a few years now. It's not like the line between N64 and Gamecube, or Xbox and Xbox 360. I have a hard time spotting the differences in graphical fidelity anymore.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »

I haven't seen a game that looked more technically competent than another game for a few years now. It's not like the line between N64 and Gamecube, or Xbox and Xbox 360. I have a hard time spotting the differences in graphical fidelity anymore.

It is mostly "what they can do with it" for example... that uhhh... Werewolf game... Has fabric graphics perfected.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2015, 05:52:43 pm »

I was reading that and thinking "didn't I read this already?" This thread sure moved fast today.

I think there's probably still graphics competition in AAA games - if there wasn't, I'd be able to run the Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, etc. W3 at least supposedly improved on the engine massively but requires much stronger hardware as a result. I don't know about arkham knight. Maybe the folks who ported it just didn't care about people who haven't upgraded in a while, like they apparently didn't care about all the people with AMD cards.

What's striking to me is how little the difference in graphical fidelity is between low settings and max settings these days. I'm usually the max setting guy among my friends. A few came over while I was playing Vermintide and all went "man that looks so much better than what I run it at." Yet, generally speaking, the differences are no longer huge. A long time back there were predictions being made about graphical fidelity vis-a-vis hardware, and the take away was that we will be using increasingly powerful hardware for diminishing graphical returns as time goes on. Peak graphics and so forth. That seems to be holding true. Games are being designed to look good at any spec, and just look slightly better at max spec with all the extra trimmings. There are so many add-ons to the visual experience now besides just "what resolution" and "soft shadows." Depth of Field, Motion Blur, various kinds of anti-aliasing, post processing effects, and even crazy shit like Nvidia's Flex tech. There all graphical add ons that to the trained eye mean something but I think at a general glance don't elevate graphics to some next level.

Also the new front in gaming is 4k resolutions and whether you can get games to play at 60 FPS that way. Which, again, requires beefy hardware to achieve a (relatively) small increase in visual performance and clarity.

I don't think we're done on this front necessarily. But I think the next iteration of graphics is true photo realism, and that will require yet another entire new level of hardware performance.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:58:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2015, 06:08:12 pm »

What's wrong with 1080p unless you're playing on a TV the size of your wall?
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2015, 06:12:57 pm »

Don't ask me. I don't require that level of fidelity to enjoy myself. But the last few games I've bought, this has been a continual issue for some people. Like, if the game runs at anything less than 60 FPS at 3840 × 2160, someone is going to be making an angry forum post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »

It wasn't Sarcasm. I just rewrote everything I said before and made it a positive.

Hence why it "falls flat as sarcasm"

I even used some of your own words to fill in gaps. So unless you were sarcastic about indie games.
No, just that it came so directly on the heels of its previous form. If that had been your entry post, I would have taken it mostly at face value.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2015, 11:29:16 pm »

With regards to resolutions, as long as I can fit the game on my screen, I'm okay with it. I grew up on low-resolutions, I can handle gradual increases of detail, as long as I can afford a decent-sized monitor, and a good enough graphics card to complement it. Hell, I still play at 1280x1024. Sure, some games aren't as pretty as they potentially could be, but it does emulate my vision pretty well (I don't have the best of eyes), adding to the immersion in my gaming. I recall mentioning some time ago that I played Quake better at low resolutions than higher ones. Far easier to immerse myself into, I think.

Come and think of it, that was actually something I'm surprised wasn't mentioned. The immersion factor. Some games these days don't quite deliver the immersion as well as some older games; then again, I've been pretty limited in my playings lately (Real Life, the game that costs your soul to play). But always an interesting note would be the peripherals with some systems. Like the 3-D glasses and the lightgun with the Sega Master System (Missile Defense 3-D rocked; it combined those 2 items very well, despite the classic vector graphics (which added to the effectiveness of the 3-D actually; you had to play it as it was originally designed to appreciate it), and hell, even the bazooka for the SNES had it's share of immersion; so well, even emulating it, and using the mouse instead of a lightgun is still an immersive experience (Super Scope 6 and the Battle Clash series still feel awesome to play).

My only real hope with VR and AR gaming is that they get the immersion down right. Hell, if someone even makes an elaborate, yet rather redundant, emulator that replicates the classic TV experience of gaming in a virtual/augmented environment (including the lightguns; pulling that off deserves a medal. Augmented would involve Hololens, and adding a gaming TV (which can also be modded as a semi-existent TV)); that would even qualify for me. For some reason, the anime Fractale comes to mind.

EDIT:
I had an interesting thought, combine Garry's Mod Cinema and the VR emulation experience, and get the sensation of playing a game in a private theater. Not as badass as actually doing it, like posted on Reddit and the like plenty of times, but hey, now others can enjoy that experience too (provided anyone would be willing to take the time to pull it off; hell, I wouldn't mind paying for that kind of experience, provided the product is done well enough (multiplayer shared server experience; relive 4-player Bomberman with your siblings and friends across the country/world, and so forth again. And why not, invite others to spectate/distract)).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:54:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 02:17:43 am »

The only thing that's annoying to me is when a game doesn't support 16:9 aspect ratios, since virtually every modern display is 16:9.

although sometimes i wish i still had an oldschool 1024x768 crt monitor

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »

As a gamer...I think as a kid I had the ability to pour my imagination into a very small space. Dragon Warrior 3, a small, bland RPG by today's standards, managed to draw me into its world. I invested all the graphically barren levels with meaning. The adorable enemy graphics took on a life of their own in my mind.

Now, older and jaded, all the work lavished on graphics today don't require that of me. Somehow the higher rez things have gotten, the less I feel the need to fill in the details.

Totally get that. I remember some of the games I played in late 90's/early 00's were completely beautiful to me. Then I went back and played them 10 years later to think "WTF is this polygon low-res bullshit?"

The only game that didn't really lose its atmosphere in this way was the original Unreal. Still manages to look good 16yrs later.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2015, 02:51:28 pm »

If we're going to reminisce over loading up games in the bad old days, I'd like to take a moment to get nostalgic about waiting 15 minutes for Daley Thompson's Supertest to load from cassette (replete with that screechy modem-esque loading noise the whole time) on the 128K version of the ZX Spectrum, all so I could destroy a joystick trying to get past the first race.

EEOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZSSS KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK Tape Loaded

complete with the completely unnecessary epileptic-fitting through the 8 colours the machine could produce.

edit: oh god i watched the video it's even worse than i remember
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:53:29 pm by Caz »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

As a gamer...I think as a kid I had the ability to pour my imagination into a very small space. Dragon Warrior 3, a small, bland RPG by today's standards, managed to draw me into its world. I invested all the graphically barren levels with meaning. The adorable enemy graphics took on a life of their own in my mind.

Now, older and jaded, all the work lavished on graphics today don't require that of me. Somehow the higher rez things have gotten, the less I feel the need to fill in the details.

Totally get that. I remember some of the games I played in late 90's/early 00's were completely beautiful to me. Then I went back and played them 10 years later to think "WTF is this polygon low-res bullshit?"

The only game that didn't really lose its atmosphere in this way was the original Unreal. Still manages to look good 16yrs later.

I still think a lot of N64 games look fine, people are just too picky.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7