Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Magic Tower Defense (Dead due to bad GM)  (Read 5322 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Tower Defense (Still Accepting Players!!!)
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:14 pm »

Naw, you'll probably get your horrible bloodline curse long before we've figured out much better than a spell to delay the death timer a bit.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »

IF we manage to get put together, the secrets of immortal soldiers might be unlocked. after all, if you can revive from the dead, and heal the now-living, you have a seriously tough group to kill.
Oh good, a necromancer. I will have your babies (Or maybe the other way around? I'm not sure. I think I'm wizard gendered) and then we will figure out spells of longevity and/or lichdom.
I am fairly sure we will have to adopt.we're both guys.
Alternatively, we could try and do some sort of child exchange program thing?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 09:14:37 pm »

Assuming necromancy involves resurrection and not just "discount resurrection," that is.

But psssssht, who needs immortal soldiers anyway when you can have non-Euclidean soldiers?

Thats why im here :-D
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »

Here is the IC Thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154121.0

Try to keep the IC and the OOC separate.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 11:14:47 pm »

So I hate to be complaining about things so early, but you gave me a tier 2 minion, and only gave me the ability to summon and control tier 1 minions, of which I don't have any of. Was that on purpose, or an accident?

Quote from: My abilities
Minion I: can have two tier 1 minions summoned.
Create garnet golem: Can summon a 20/2 golem infused with garnet. It is humanoid size and shape. It is a tier two golem and attacks at melee range.
Garnet blast: Deal 5 gem damage to an enemy. Must have line of sight.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 11:17:26 pm »

When making a baby with another player, who gets the baby? Whoever spends the decade raising it?
Can we have multiple children in a generation, or does having one retire the old character?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:09 pm »

EDIT: nevermind. I just hope I get put in the same tower as cheerhappy.
Nonsense. Come visit the Diablos, they're trying to work out the kinks in getting Butcher Demons to butcher the right things at the right times. Or the Windus, who have a new guest that can be seen yet not comprehended. The Darkfathoms recently got a new butler, it's made of stone but gently writhes when you're not looking directly at it. The Balkensii can do this awesome party trick involving a live goat, three bowls, and a white silk sheet. The Itzli say it's better with four bowls and eight wine glasses, but it's mostly the same basic trick. The Oleur have the coziest fireplace, apparently it's a normal fireplace but with a golem sitting in there blazing with the infernal potential of the gateway it shall yet become. The Hache are super polite, they give you a free coat made of ethereal human ribs on your way out.

Anyway the kingdom seems pretty safe to me.

First and foremost, this is hilarious.

If a parent discovers a new magic after having kids, does the child get any bonus to re-discovering it?

Yes. Until you switch from parent to child they get the bonus. Once you switch to the kid, the parents retire.

I'm not sure. I think I'm wizard gendered.

Anyone can reproduce with anyone else for one of the following four reasons. I couldn't decide which.
1) Because magic.
2) Because you all are all a subspecies of human called wizard which is capable of reproducing reguardless of sex.
3) Because you represent entire families you could just have a member of your family who is of the sex required marry a member of the opposite sex of the other family and produce a child. You and your same sex partner then either A) see the potential of the baby and take it from its parents to raise it as a wizard or B) a terrible and completely not your doing accident happens and the child's parent's die. You then adopt the child.
4) You just adopt a random child at birth and do some magic ritual to give it the innate ability to cast some of your spells.

They all result in the same thing. Anyone can make a baby with anyone else. This is a very progressive nation.

When making a baby with another player, who gets the baby? Whoever spends the decade raising it?
Can we have multiple children in a generation, or does having one retire the old character?

Two children are produced over the decade. Each family gets one. You do not have to immediately switch to the child, but the child begins ageing immediately. So if you wait a turn to retire the parent, then your child will have spent a turn doing nothing.

So I hate to be complaining about things so early, but you gave me a tier 2 minion, and only gave me the ability to summon and control tier 1 minions, of which I don't have any of. Was that on purpose, or an accident?

*Laughs for a solid 5 minutes* Gosh I wish I meant to do that. That would be diabolical. I did some last minute changes and must have missed you. Here is what it is supposed to say.

Quote from: Your abilities
Minion I: can have two tier 1 minions summoned.
Create garnet golem: Can summon a 20/0 golem infused with garnet. It is humanoid size and shape. It is a tier one golem and attacks at melee range. It is very durable, but not capable of attacking. It knows Taunt I.
Garnet blast: Deal 5 gem damage to an enemy. Must have line of sight.

Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:35 pm »

Also, as another question, how should we be reading our minion stats? I was reading them in the magic the gathering way of power/toughness, which would mean my 20/2 golem is a giant glass cannon, but I can't find anything that specifically says how they worked so I figured it was best to ask...

Edit : ah, thank you. Being able to summon two minions will make this early defense a lot easier. ^_^

EditEdit :

Two children are produced over the decade. Each family gets one. You do not have to immediately switch to the child, but the child begins ageing immediately. So if you wait a turn to retire the parent, then your child will have spent a turn doing nothing.

Ah man, I was assuming we'd be able to control child and parent until the parent died. This is a lot less satisfying. Why can't a child and a parent work together to defend a tower, instead of the parent dumping everything on the child with no help from his or her years of experience?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:29:25 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:02 pm »

Also, as another question, how should we be reading our minion stats? I was reading them in the magic the gathering way of power/toughness, which would mean my 20/2 golem is a giant glass cannon, but I can't find anything that specifically says how they worked so I figured it was best to ask...

The stats are HP and Attack. You have it backwards, your golems are damage takers, not doers. I put an explanation on some people's but not others. I think I just glossed over you for some reason when I was doing my final changes. Sorry about that.

Ah man, I was assuming we'd be able to control child and parent until the parent died. This is a lot less satisfying. Why can't a child and a parent work together to defend a tower, instead of the parent dumping everything on the child with no help from his or her years of experience?

I do like the idea of a parent and child working together, but that would potentially double the number of mages defending the towers. Even more if there's grand parents in the mix too. I looked at my numbers for the waves of enemies and I think doubling the mages (and minions) would really throw things out of whack. So until they decide to take over and the parent retires they are just an apprentice. I may try to find a way to make them meaningful to a lesser degree than an additional mage. It'll be a little bit before we get to kids so I have time to think about that.

@ Everyone.

Here are a few important things:

All mages are currently 20 with 20/0 as their stats.

Towers aren't owned by players, and there may be times in which it would be best for you to let another mage defend your favorite tower. (Like if you're a fire mage and you know a ton of water elementals are coming to attack). This doesn't mean that one tower wont be the favorite place of one or another mage, or even your base of operations, just remember: you don't own the towers, the towers own you.

Make sure when claiming a tower for a turn that you say what you're putting in that tower. (Including if you're going to be defending it in person)

If you can summon multiple minions, you don't have to send all of them to one tower. You can split them up.

Nunzillor

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 12:00:15 am »

This might be a dumb question, but what can we assume to have in terms of assets, income, and forces?  Also, when you say that we can only have 10 units per floor, how does that relate to the tower's exterior if we wish to build defenses around it?  Is there a unit limit for the area around the tower?

Lastly, what is the terrain around the tower?  Is it on a hill?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:29:46 am by Nunzillor »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 12:19:16 am »

This might be a dumb question, but what can we assume to have in terms of assets and income?
I'd like to know this too.
"We warriors of the Eztli clan shall take the red tower, and defend it resolutely from all attackers."
Take the red tower and occupy it personally.  Construct fortifications around the tower, including raised platforms outside it, and bring 4 mages, 2 bowmen, and 4 halberdiers to hold it.
Wait, we can hire mercenaries or do whatever he's doing to bring along mortals that aren't listed in his ability list?
Forenia Forever!

Nunzillor

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:09 am »

I wasn't sure... I kind of assumed as esteemed mage houses we would have access to enough income to hire mercenaries, or possibly just have an established militia on staff.  I'll modify it if that's not the case, my plan was to invest heavily in mortal warriors and research blood magic to increase their offensive abilities.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:33:19 am by Nunzillor »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 02:04:18 am »

The towers form a circle that establishes the boundaries of your nation. There's a sort of magic force field between the towers. That being said, if you stand atop the royal castle in the center of the country, you can see all the towers. Its not a large country at all. As a result, it doesn't really have an army and you can't recruit mortals. Your power comes from your magic, not your men or your money. However,  if you wanted to spend a turn of research recruiting some mercenaries from a barbaric nation to the north, then I guess I could allow that. They'd be about as strong as tier 1 minions, but wouldn't go towards your minion count.

I didn't consider putting forces on the outside of the tower. The whole 10 units per floor is to encourage people to build up the towers. Otherwise the whole thing would take place on the ground floor and be rather odd. If you want to put units outside the tower, I'll count it as floor 0. Same rules apply.

As a result the towers now look something like this:

Nunzillor

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 02:10:01 am »

I see, I thought perhaps by building platforms outside of the tower we could have multiple non-tower floors so that we didn't have to spend a decade to gain elevation, but I can see how that would partly defeat the purpose.  I'll make the edits.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 03:46:24 am »

I do like the idea of a parent and child working together, but that would potentially double the number of mages defending the towers. Even more if there's grand parents in the mix too. I looked at my numbers for the waves of enemies and I think doubling the mages (and minions) would really throw things out of whack. So until they decide to take over and the parent retires they are just an apprentice. I may try to find a way to make them meaningful to a lesser degree than an additional mage. It'll be a little bit before we get to kids so I have time to think about that.
Plus, I don't see anything in the rules against having more than one child. That could get out of hand as is, nevermind when multiple children start having multiple children.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4