Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Goblin Fun?  (Read 2753 times)

Dough!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No Goblin Fun?
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:39 pm »

Okay, so first off this is my first post on Bay12, please overlook any mistakes!

So I made a fortress that everyone can get too (Humans, hippies Elves, Dwarfs and Goblins), in a very nice place! Right now I'm just under 500K Fortress wealth, with a army of 10 Lords/masters (Thanks Danger-rooms!), and 79 dwarfs  and I have not had one goblin show up, not even a thief! (Quite a few Kobolds ones)

So, whats happening? Am I just (Un)lucky or are they still waiting for me to go pass a wealth point? Also, on another topic I do not have 1 child...

Thanks! Really new and noobish here, so take it easy on me!  :D

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Goblin Fun?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 10:32:53 pm »

Might look at the fine print of the world you are in.
That I've heard, such unfortunate things may happen as the goblins being near extinct.  Sure, perhaps the 20 surviving goblins can reach you, but why?

I'm presently facing goblin visit #4, after having also had 2 undead visits, and I think my fort's now about 3 years old - attacks do happen if you've got the situation for it, but with the new siege mechanics in 2014, that's harder to check.

//Torrenal

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:03:06 pm »

You need 80 dwarves to trigger sieges.  Then you may need to wait a while before the first siege arrives, because the raiders need time to find their way to your place.

Sometimes they may get stuck with bad overworld pathfinding, which is a known bug.  However, you can't know anything until you are at 80+ and have waited at least a few years.

Dough!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04:25 pm »

Hmm, well, I did back my save up and dig in deep in legend mode, but did't find much (Or at least I don't think I did), other than that the dark fortress place/thing had gotten attacked like crazy and there was dwarfs and humans living there now, but I'm not too sure as I did't read 97 years of stuff.

Maybe... I should restart with a bigger world with more everything? I would be willing to do so as I'm getting bored quick. (Unless there is other fun stuff, then I would be willing to wait)

Edit: Just saw your post Daris. Guess what? I'm 79 pop and on my 2nd or 3rd year. So, yeah, I should wait a little longer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:05:56 pm by Dough! »

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:20:02 pm »

I *think* the 80-pop thing went out with v14  I remember early in the release, besides doding surface caveins, I'd also have to cope with attacks in the first summer.  Can anyone else comment on where this is now?

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:33 pm »

80 population is required for sieges, and also for megabeasts and I believe also titans.  Semi-megabeasts require 50 pop.  Forgotten beasts have no population requirement.

eta: If you want sieges immediately, dark towers (necromancers) have no population requirement and may set out to attack you immediately.  This can result in a siege of undead your first summer if the tower is very close by and can path to your fort quickly.  If you really want to play with invaders, embark near a tower.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:29:34 pm by Daris »

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:39:19 pm »

79 pop in year 3?  Did you change your pop-cap?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:16:28 am »

It's possible to change the pop requirements for sieges up, as well as down to 50 or 20, but he default is 80. Likewise, the titan attack threshold can be changed. As Daris said, dark towers have no threshold, so they can show up the first summer.
In addition to being in range, you ought to be the closest target for the enemy(ies), or they may very well be busy attacking other sites before getting to you. Thus, having an elven site in between you and the closest goblin one probably means you won't be attacked until the "obstacle" has been removed.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 04:42:20 am »

Ensure merchants get massive profits and if nothing's turned up a year after you turn pop 80, it's probably best to think about giving up if you want siege fun. They're lost in the mountains somewhere and only the Hand of Toad can save them.

Or they may be busy with the elves. Can't blame them. It's so darn tempting to beat up tree hugging cannibals all year round.

Dough!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

79 pop in year 3?  Did you change your pop-cap?

Yes, in fact I did. In fact I'm using "The lazy Newb pack" with tiles.

My pop cap is 170 and my strict one is 190. (Not sure if that does anything)

Also, does anyone know why I don't have one child? I'm thinking that is why I'm not getting kidnappers.

Oh, yeah I chose to pick on the elves, I really dislike the fact that they come with wood items yet I can't sell wood to them, not to say they bring trash...

Thanks!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 04:44:21 pm »

The reason for the pop cap question is that your pop is unusually low, but those caps won't affect anything yet. The pop cap stops immigration at 170, while the strict pop cap stops pregnancies at 190.
You're not getting kidnappers because that functionality is either entirely broken in this version, or is incredibly rare.

Children either immigrate with their parents, or are borne to married dwarves (can be couples at immigration or a marriage in the fortress). As opposed to humans, dorfs are strictly monogamous and do not have sex outside of wedlock, so marriage is a prerequisite for dorflets. In order to marry the dorfs have to be lovers and both have to be willing to marry, as well as having an age difference no larger than 10 years. Note that same sex marriages occur.
In order to become lovers they have to first be friends (and it might be that the age difference apply here as well). It is possible for a dorf to be bisexual enough to take a lover of either gender, but only willing to marry one gender. I believe a lot of partying together strengthens friendships.
In order to become friends dorfs have to spend time together, such as eating beside each other, or idling beside each other (i.e. any kind of chatting). I consistently fail to get any reasonable number of dorfs to make friends...

The tree huggers bring a few things of some value:
- Fruit for booze
- Tamed exotic creatures
- Underwear (which dorfs are unable to make themselves. The other source of underwear is dead goblins...).

Sandboxer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 05:51:31 pm »

if youre using the lazy newb pack, there is a cap you can set on children and a ratio you can set. try setting yours like mine, which has no such issues, and see if that works:

population cap: 150
Child Cap: 30:1000
Strict pop cap: 150

Dough!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 08:06:13 pm »

Just, uh, going to update this:

So, due to a line of (Really) weird events (Not just tied to DF, but a lot of other things), I ended up deleting my save, then the starter pack I was using, and am now going to use the default Dwarf Fortress off of Bay12! Along with starting a whole new world with much much harder settings to give me lots more fun!

So, this discussion now has no use, sorry folks! Thanks for all your help nonetheless!!!  ;D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 08:12:45 pm »

about the minimum population to be sieged , assuming you're lucky and gobs path to your fortress isn't bugged, look for the file named entity_default.txt located in your DF \raw\objects\ folder

Open it and for the dwarf entity , change the default
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
to
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
or
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:2]

to have gobs considering sieging you earlier.
from the wiki , the progress trigger value 1 corresponds to 20 dwarves, 2 to 50 dwarves, 3 to 80, 4 to 110, and 5 to 140
But you will very likely need to generate a new world, as raws modification usually require.

I am not sure if editing that progress trigger for the siege must be done for the other entities (human/gob/elf) that are all having the same value as the dwarves too :
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]

There are some other triggers , that can help siege, but by default they're disabled (set to value 0)
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

I wonder if changing
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:1]
will actually make gobs more willing to siege if you reach early wealth/trade, or if it only make an additional condition to the population already.

Note that it does not guarantee sieges will actually happen, there are some problems in current DF that can make it so when you're not lucky , no gob will ever come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 04:18:41 am »

The triggers for each entity is specific to that one, so if you were at war with both the elves and the goblins a value of 1 for the elves and 2 for the goblins would let you use the elves as a warm up. Normally you're only dealing with goblin sieges, so only the goblin values would be relevant.

I've heard it said these can be changed in the save, but I don't know if it actually has any effect (I've done an in the game change on my current fortress, but I don't think the pop will ever reach 20 due to missing immigration).

Changing the other triggers from the default Off value will cause sieges to be allowed once the corresponding threshold is passed. Crossing any threshold will allow a siege, you don't have to meet all of them (and I do have some hope for the production one in my case).
Pages: [1] 2