Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319463 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1605 on: February 21, 2022, 07:19:46 am »

Checked the video and it really looks like an improved version of YSFlight.

YSFlight was a truly amazing piece of freeware, i especially liked how the "mouse as a yoke" was implemented, allowing me to have lots of fun even without a joystick. Some of the various islands you could download were very nice in their stylised way.

It's been years i haven't tried it, apparently the recommended version is 20150425 for compatibility and 20120701 for performance (it's the one i last used) , the latest and 2018 test ones seems to have a lot of issues.

edit : on something different, i noticed (there : https://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Maps ) some had drawn map of the whole Salt&Sanctuary environment :
https://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/file/Salt-and-Sanctuary/isle_of_salt_web.jpg

Same map but made of ingame screenshots :
https://preview.redd.it/dm11z4ctbpf41.jpg?width=13909&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=55aafc38e3d8e5afe41f607bab6214cbac933fb9

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 12:51:00 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 22, 2022, 10:09:21 pm »

Strange Horticulture... it's like running an apothecary in the Fallen London world, except less obtuse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:14:14 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 28, 2022, 07:35:51 am »

I just need to plug this cute little game I found and fell in love with during Steam's demo-showcasing week (still going on as of now): Small Saga

It's basically a classical jrpg-style (pastiche?) game about mice living below the streets.

It got my attention from the start just because of this awesome concept art:

and promo screenshots from the game like this:

I just love the idea of the hero mouse with the jrpg trope of the unwieldable giant sword but it's just a swiss knife

as for the game I haven't played much yet but it seems fun
Love, scriver~

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 28, 2022, 08:41:15 am »

I kind of like the lighter: "Nono, it's magic, really!"
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 28, 2022, 02:35:48 pm »

Played a demo of that way back. Swissarmyknife as buster sword is a solid concept.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 28, 2022, 03:28:39 pm »

I just need to plug this cute little game I found and fell in love with during Steam's demo-showcasing week (still going on as of now): Small Saga

It's basically a classical jrpg-style (pastiche?) game about mice living below the streets.

It got my attention from the start just because of this awesome concept art:

That first picture looks a lot like Mouseguard. Although, while trying to look up the name I found like a half dozen other mouse-themed TTRPGs, so there might well be several valid influences.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:32 am »

Just learned that the mod that then became a free standalone game "The Dark Mod" (very inspired by Thief and running on the Doom3 engine) has released a new version :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/the-darkmod-210-is-here
https://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/the-dark-mod-2-10-has-been-released/

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 05, 2022, 11:18:58 am »

Decided to have another run of ANNO 1404 IAAM mod, and to pleasant surprise found out there is ANNO 1404 historic edition fixing multiple issues with the old version as well as a much better mod SBM which adds even more new stuff then IAAM. So far having fun designing harbours, and unlocking more and more stuff. Also I somehow managed to settle land between islands and can build there  :o wonder if I will be able to link multiple islands together into a single mega city  :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 06, 2022, 08:38:18 am »

Currently on my NG+2 run of Salt&Sanctuary i learned something fun.

There was an armor i was overlooking , the Lamprey set (that can be found in the Sunken Keep) that apparently has a special effect that inflict damage on an enemy that is hitting you.
Additionally the Ashen Effigy shield (that can be found in Ziggurat of Dust) has a similar special effect.

So after upgrading both the lamprey armor set and the effigy shield to their max (that is +7 and fortunately only require lot of Crypt Keeper grinding for the items required highest level of its upgrade and that by now i had truckload of them) i started the bosses hunting. 

And so far in that NG+2 , Sodden Knight, Queen of Smiles and the Krakean Cyclops have been killed by .. just shield blocking their attacks (and with lots of stamina + items that reduce stamina use, you nearly never need to rest between blocks) until they finally killed themselves :D
Takes some time as in NG+2 they have a lot more health than in previous, but it works.

Only the Mad Alchemist was involving me having to sword murder him as his attacks aren't direct (he throws stuff around that create clouds/electricty/enemy slimes that attack you)
Wish i knew that earlier, that Lamprey set and the Effigy shield will make some of the bosses hilariously easy.

Of course doing that against bosses and enemy that have a grab attack is a complete mistake.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 10:50:57 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 17, 2022, 12:22:32 pm »

Interested in replaying Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 , i've been looking around to see if some new mods have been made available since the last time i played.

Last time i played, for Fallout 1 i've been using Fallout Fixit that was a giant all in one compilation of mods and bugfixes and for Fallout 2 the Fallout 2 Restoration Project that restore tons of cut content into Fallout 2 (but also change some stuff like increasing vastly the rate of random encounters in world map) .

So after googling a bit, i found out some mods i never heard about before but looks very noteworthy :
Fallout et Tu
https://nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-et-tu.124/
That basically allows you to play Fallout 1 with the engine of Fallout 2 (and probably why that mod name is a play on "BG1Tutu" that was allowing to play BG1 in the BG2 engine) , there is also several submods for this including many QoL additions.

Fallout 2 Restoration Project expansion
https://nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-2-restoration-project-unofficial-expansion.123/
That's a continuation of the Restoration Project

Fallout Nevada
https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-nevada-extended.207311/
Now this one is for Fallout 2 and seems rather amazing
Fallout: Nevada is a fan-made prequel to the original Fallout. It's a total conversion, made using content and engine of the original game with the inclusion of scripts, story, dialogues, characters, locations and mechanics created from scratch specifically for it. Gameplay is heavily focused on quests, setting and lore of the Fallout universe, as opposed to "dumb fights". The in-game locations are made with high degree of authenticity.

The story revolves around the life of Vault City citizens before the events of Fallout 1 & 2. The main character's task is to find a stolen device, which is critical to the lives of dwellers of the Vault 8. But this quest is child's play, compared to the unexpected turn of events that will take you on this potentially dark journey. Life in the wasteland is just beginning to appear. Settlements are scarce, roads are almost non-existent. The world is engulfed in anarchy, even more than before. It will be tough for your body and mind to survive.

The game features:

Brand new story
    More than 100 quests
    New world map - 12 major cities and tons of random encounters, including 12 special ones
    2,7 Mb of game text (compared to 1,7 Mb in Fallout and 3,5 in Fallout 2)
    Original soundtrack from Nobody's Nail Machine
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 12:41:47 pm by Robsoie »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 18, 2022, 05:58:16 am »

Been playing Stranger of Paradise, the new final fantasy game.  It's uhhh...  There seem to be two broad camps, people who think it's a cringy final fantasy melodrama with bizarre characterization, and people who think it's a hilarious intentional farce in the spirit of Metal Gear Rising.  I think it's a bit of both?  Some elements go so far I can't believe they didn't know what they were doing, but a lot of it isn't that crazy.

Essentially it's Nioh 3 but set in Final Fantasy universe.  It's mission-based, very little in the way of travel or long in-town gameplay scenes like you get in normal JRPGs.  Combat is very character action, something like FF15 but more difficult.  It's real time final fantasy by the guys who made Nioh, and it feels like it.

Plot is simultaneously very paint-by-numbers and very fucking bizarre.  It's a rehash of FF1, the four warriors of light have to restore the four crystals, whatever, you've seen the exact same plot a million fucking times.  Every JRPG has the same plot.  What makes it weird is the characters have this progressive amnesia, not just the usual JRPG amnesia but they actively continue to lose their memories over the course of the story, and there's other weird stuff, like Garland is the first boss but only the princess seems to remember Garland the knight ever existing.  Somebody's fucking around with the structure of the game world and I'm not sure who or how or why.  Some of the loading screen lore tidbits seem to imply there's multiple universes and some kind of unseen manipulation going on.  Which is weird.

All the warriors of light feel this powerful compulsion to kill Chaos, despite not knowing who that is or if he even really exists, with the king even straight up saying Chaos is a myth.  Most obsessed with Chaos is Jack, who may or may not be from Earth, you remember him from the memes.  He's a douchebag, like a full on faux hawk tapout shirt douchebag.  At one point early on when a character tells him Chaos isn't real, he just says "bullshit" and ends the discussion by pulling out his phone and blasting limp bizkit.  He's the best and worst part of the game.  In a different game he'd be annoying, but when the rest of the world is the most extreme florid final fantasy bullshit, jack's stone-faced refusal to engage with any of it is mostly hilarious.  It's like if a side character from Gears of War accidentally got put in a JRPG and was pissed about it.

I'm still getting a feel for the combat system but it seems fun.  Kind of awkward sometimes and a lot of enemies have pretty weak tells and attacks with low poise damage so sometimes you don't realize you're getting hit until you suddenly die. 

Overall I dunno.  I haven't played enough to give it a solid verdict.  It seems fun, the storyline is a bizarre mix of final fantasy/kingdom hearts people spouting off the most inane flowery bullshit dialog and jack just being a huge prick and refusing to play along, which is mostly weird and awkward but sometimes really funny.  The combat is alright.  We'll see how it goes.

Also, it has an absolutely absurd amount of Anime Grunting.  I don't get this shit.  I guess it makes sense for anime since anime uses a lot of reaction shots but also limited animation, noises make sense as a workaround to get reactions without having to animate their faces, but in a high fidelity 3d game I don't see why people need to constantly fucking grunt and moan and gasp every two seconds.  It gets on my nerves.
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 21, 2022, 04:58:56 pm »

To compensate for how bad the fan fiction they called "season 2" of The Witcher was , there's a new Witcher game being made :
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/a-new-saga-begins.11101351/

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 23, 2022, 04:32:43 am »

You know I haven't played any of these yet but when I read the comments... Video game customers are allmost exclusively insufferable idiots aren't they?

All I want to know is if it has Character Creation. I didn't like any of the previous games because i had to play Geralt.

So you'd rather have a character creator  + silent protagonist, than voice-acted storytelling... There is this thing avout people screeching for features that make litterally no sense, when there is alternative product (wink at ubisoft etc) that have the precious jack of all trades master of none these kiddos clamor for.

Sigh... and then they go on and on about how they matter as customers real karens.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 23, 2022, 06:49:20 am »

You know I haven't played any of these yet but when I read the comments... Video game customers are allmost exclusively insufferable idiots aren't they?
ftfy, ha

... but seriously, nah, most game buyers don't go so far as to comment to begin with. You're seeing a fraction (idiot) of a fraction (potential customer who comments) of a fraction (people who buy or consider buying a witcher game) of game buyers. That's not even a little exclusive, it's just annoyingly loud.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 23, 2022, 07:03:37 am »

That's a strange idea to have a generic character creator in a Witcher game, because the major interest of the witcher serie of game (that unlike the tv show is at least a good "fan fiction" in comparison to the books) was to tell a story in which the player is really Geralt with all the baggage that came with it and how he interact with the world (and how the world interact with him). 

Having silent protagonist joe/jane running around would certainly lessen the impact of the story and the interactions. 

Now apparently from the hints this new Witcher game will very likely be about someone else than Geralt, i wonder if it's going to be a follow up to the games, or setup in the (more or less far away) past before Geralt's days, after all those witchers have been around for a very long time.
Though it can be around an adventure during Geralt life as while he did a lot in the books , there's a lot of time that moved on in which none know what Geralt lived through.

Why not have the player being Eskel, just to say a big "frack you" to the tv show "writers" ?
Or even better for a complete change of storytelling, why not have the player in the shoes of a real antagonist like the bounty hunter Leo Bonhart , he had seen and done a lot before appearing in the books, lots of material for a game.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 07:42:33 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 174