Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319493 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1575 on: January 27, 2022, 01:47:49 am »

Alina of the Arena... hex-grid tactical combat with a deckbuilder system.

Concise to describe, surprisingly fun, but currently kind of light on content and feels like it needs a balancing pass... I've found exactly one strategy that can take out the first boss, and it's a 1v1 setup, which makes it awful for the rest of the game. Alas.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: January 28, 2022, 02:57:46 pm »

Spotted "Exile", that seems like a very hardcore and indepth survival game for the open source "Minestest" .

The Exile game : https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26835
Minetest : https://www.minetest.net/downloads/
(version 5.5 of Minetest is in the work, you can get a release candidate here : https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=406163 )

A walkthrough for an older version to see how it works :
https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile/blob/master/doc/Walkthrough_022.pdf

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 28, 2022, 11:20:55 pm »

Although I haven't played Exile, I can vouch for Minetest as a very fun Minecraft clone (it's not pretending not to be), though mods are a bit of a burden to set up in a custom pack. Packs like Exile are super easy to load up and run.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 30, 2022, 12:27:21 pm »

Daemon x Machina is the free game on Epic right now. It's more Gundam than Mechwarrior (you're mostly flying around taking out mooks), but that's fine. A bit of a loot shooter, except without the different levels of rarity. Plus, you can find different decals and paintjobs for your mech. The game looks pretty good, except when it's people talking.

Biggest drawbacks are: character generation needs more options and a random option so the base characters don't all look the same, stats are a bit complex and take some time to figure out, too many controls for the like 5 weapon slots you have (although 2 of those are just extras to switch with your main weapons, so they can be ignored). I'm still not sure what all of the controls are when you're out of your mech Arsenal, but "don't be out of your Arsenal, why would you do that" is a pretty good tactic for that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 02:19:28 pm by Iduno »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 01, 2022, 07:09:27 pm »

Check out Vampire Survivors. It's a cheapo, super-simple, pixelated game. You just walk and automatically shoot various missiles/weapons at endless hordes of monsters while levelling up and collecting upgrades. It's silly fun and addictive.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 02, 2022, 06:37:01 am »

Maybe some people remember OpenLara
https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara
It was a cross platform open source engine that can play the old tomb raider serie. Engine that was also implementing some better graphic stuff (water shaders by example, shadows...) , he ported the engine to various platform too.

As a demonstration, it was then possible to play the first Tomb Raider demo in your browser :
http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/
(it's possible to load the levels of TR1/TR2/TR3 if you have the games to play them)

But the genius coder went even further, he implemented Tomb Raider ran by his engine in a GBA !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEUjEci-eg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 07:01:39 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 04, 2022, 01:10:57 pm »

Daemon x Machina, last week's free Epic Game.

It's a dumb game about totally-not-Gundams (called Arsenals) fighting AI robots after the world is mostly destroyed, and then fighting other Arsenals. The plot is. When you or your teammates kill other Arsenals, you can take 1 piece of loot from them (legs, left arm, right arm, body, head, or various weapon/aux slots). You can also find different decals as graffiti, and paint them on your Arsenal to customize it. Cell-shading means the Switch can handle it, and it mostly looks good unless people's faces have a shadow on them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sword and smg so I can get in close and end the fight quick, or die hilariously trying.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 05, 2022, 10:20:58 am »

Maybe some people remember OpenLara
https://github.com/XProger/OpenLara
It was a cross platform open source engine that can play the old tomb raider serie. Engine that was also implementing some better graphic stuff (water shaders by example, shadows...) , he ported the engine to various platform too.

As a demonstration, it was then possible to play the first Tomb Raider demo in your browser :
http://xproger.info/projects/OpenLara/
(it's possible to load the levels of TR1/TR2/TR3 if you have the games to play them)

But the genius coder went even further, he implemented Tomb Raider ran by his engine in a GBA !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igEUjEci-eg

This is legitimately the coolest thing I've seen in a while, if only bc it's amazing that it's running in my browser at a very smooth and stable framerate wow

i also have no idea how to play even the demo of tomb raider but still! neat!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 05, 2022, 11:35:41 am »

It's indeed very cool and really surprising how smooth it is playing, some coding genius there.

a nice option is that the default controls :
Can be changed

Oh and even cooler with that browser version of OpenLara :  you can load and play with the individual levels that are included in the Tomb Raider map Viewer :
https://github.com/andrewsyc/Tomb-Raider-1-2-3-4-5-Map-viewer-and-levels
(not all of them may work as their original version though)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:44:25 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 11, 2022, 12:35:12 pm »

Been toying for a bit with Windbound, this week freebie on the epic store and had some fun. 

It is a roguelite before anything so expect a lot of frustration (fun stuff like losing all your hard earned progress, boats, items, crafts, going back to chapter 1 ...) if you don't choose the "Story" mode (that allow you to keep your progress, only going back the beginning of the current chapter you're in when dying) .

The goal of the game is to complete each chapter (unless you're masochist and choose Endless mode in which there's ... no end but you still lose all your progress on death ).
Each chapter is an archipelago that is procedurally generated, each islands may have a few different biomes/monsters/items.

To complete a chapter, you must find 3 ruins that are on 3 different islands (not all islands of the archipelago have a ruin but you may want to visit to gather materials to craft things and boats) and trigger their light (located on their top).  Then you'll have to sail to another island that contain a giant portal, that can only be reached by having triggered the light of the 3 ruins.

Once gone through the portal, you learn a bit of the lore and navigate an odd dark place to the entrance of the next chapter
Before entering you'll be able to choose a few (depending on how much you'll have gathered in your archipelago exploration) blessings from a random list.

Then the next chapter has a new procedural archipelago and you'll have to find and trigger again 3 ruins to access the next portal.

Things are not that simple, because the game out of being a roguelite is also a survival game : in which you'll need to hunt for food , cook , gather and etc... to keep your stamina and health at good enough level to avoid getting one shot or drowning, avoid sprinting all the time to not burn your stamina faster than you can heal it.

The combat gameplay isn't really great, but still manageable (you can lock on target to be able to dodge/parry , but you'll never be as fast as if you don't lock but dodging/parrying seems oddly not working as good as when locking).

Everything you find/gather/hunt can have an use other than only food : you craft tools, weapons, special items, boats, boat equipment, repair etc ...
Some early larger monster that is easy to avoid must in fact be hunted (great chance to die) because their materials are necessary for some tools .
Don't be like me and find yourself in chapter 2 and a rock prevent you to trigger the last ruin light, rock that can be mined out with a tool , but tool that require to kill a big monster that was appearing alone in an island in chapter 1 (that i avoided) but now walk with a buddy, and with the combat system and my poor old reflexes , avoiding getting hit by both at the same time is way too hard :D

Now the sailing : it's oddly relaxing despite requiring you being involved.
With your first crafted boat you'll use the oar to move, but quickly enough after some upgrading and rebuilding, you'll sail with the wind, having to deal with wind changing their orientation, being careful to not get wrecked by a reef you may see underwater, careful of those fracking crabs that can jump from a reef into your boat, damaging it (kill it fast to avoid heavy repairs).

One of the first crafting you want to do is a bag, because without it you can only carry very few different items (making item management hell), with the 1st bag craftable it's a lot better.
You can also craft special bags you can attach to the boat that can carry even more.

Overall it's a lot more fun than i thought it would be, but don't be decieved by the Disney like appearance

It's sometime easier to die than you may think.
Oh and performance is excellent , good point in a time in which optimisation isn't really a focus in development anymore, especially amazing considering that it's the Unity engine.
Low point is that in the long run it may be a bit repetitive, and it seems you can't rebind your key, it's super annoying to me but i guess i'm one of the few guys not playing with a controller in this age, but still can't believe the devs haven't implemented that (at least AutoHotkey is always helpful in those cases). 
Anyways, good game at first but i doubt it will stay fun for long from the reports i read on further chapters.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 03:03:26 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 11, 2022, 07:11:00 pm »

Daemon x Machina, last week's free Epic Game.

It's a dumb game about totally-not-Gundams (called Arsenals) fighting AI robots after the world is mostly destroyed, and then fighting other Arsenals. The plot is. When you or your teammates kill other Arsenals, you can take 1 piece of loot from them (legs, left arm, right arm, body, head, or various weapon/aux slots). You can also find different decals as graffiti, and paint them on your Arsenal to customize it. Cell-shading means the Switch can handle it, and it mostly looks good unless people's faces have a shadow on them.

Sword and smg so I can get in close and end the fight quick, or die hilariously trying.

What. Why are those thumbnails?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 13, 2022, 01:45:34 am »

So, uh, did anybody manage to find anything remotely worthwhile in Lost Ark?

I clocked 52 minutes according to Steam, with about 5 minutes staring at Nerdle at the title screen, 5 minutes of character creation, 3 minutes of actual combat, of which one minute actually required an attempt at effort, because I forgot the free 70 healing potions were a thing, so I was actually dodging attacks. The rest of that time was basically trying to speed through dialogues/cutscenes, or walking from one dialogue/cutscene to the next.

Trying, because, the delay in the dialogue is so long that a fast reader can catch all the text even when you mash the next-line button, and what feels like half the cutscenes are unskippable on the first playthrough. Or so I'm guessing; it flashes 'First Clear' or something like that next to the icon of the skip button when you hit it. Or maybe once you get out of the prologue, things get better, but I got suckered into playing through it because it's some pseudo-quest to do it and it was so godawful boring that once I finished it, I could only muster the will to follow a handful of the quest markers in town (more dialogue to ignore...), one of which was explicitly how to use the dance emote. And it doesn't register instantly, but slowly enough that I wasn't sure if I was standing in the yellow quest circle correctly. Three more rounds of 'follow the quest icon on the minimap and mash skip' later, I nope'd my way out, without even getting to exit town yet.

Oh, and it's a 70gb download.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 05:09:09 am by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 13, 2022, 06:48:27 am »

I was considering that one myself, but the massive install size, and the fact that it's published by Amazon, put me off.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 13, 2022, 08:22:45 am »

I gave it a second shot, and lasted about 25 more minutes, but a nagging suspicion was confirmed when I checked it out in a bit more detail-- it's a Korean developer, and it absolutely shows in how it's really just one of those grindcore point-A-to-point-B mobile games with higher production values. Even the interface that pops up when you hit escape looks like one of those, with something like 32 buttons (not loading it back up to check, but it's literally something in the vicinity of a 4x8 array of buttons), over half of which are locked at the start of the game and get unlocked as you progress.

Chat in town was pretty funny though; there was like three people trying to cyber, and fifteen people discussing the cybering.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 13, 2022, 11:49:27 am »

I'd like to play more of it but the EU servers are shitting themselves so that's a big nope for now.

Yeah the story is whatever and most of it is mashing the skip button, but so far, the combat has been super satisfying and meaty, playing as the "Totally not dragonball" chick so flying about kicking and punching shit is pretty fun. Some of the other classes look pretty cool as well so I might give those a go eventually.

That said, I have so much on my plate gaming wise, right now as well as in the next two weeks that I don't mind putting this one on the back burner for the time being.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 174