Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 320257 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1215 on: June 22, 2021, 03:15:00 pm »

Red Solstice 1 was kinda....eurojank. Like the visuals and gameplay were mostly good, but there's a lot different things stuffed into one game. Rules, skills, fiddly things like dropping single magazines of ammo for people, multiple firing modes, injuries, leveling up, combat suits that function like classes, shit loads of friendly fire due to copious amounts of explosives with large detonation radius, weirdo random bosses with specific things you have to do to kill them that go completely unexplained, nebulous objectives that aren't well explained....alll while being done under the gun of a wave timer where shit just gets out of hand eventually, and having to move across a large map between objectives while keeping everyone together and working as a team.

Oh hey, that sounds a bit like some WC3 custom maps I used to play on... NOTD I think?

Anyway, I'm a sucker for weird shit like that. Might have to take a peek at RS2.
Pretty sure it was based off that or something very similar to NoTD custom maps.  Basically mod makers going commercial if I remember correctly.

Anyways, I tried out Enlisted over the weekend.  It was fine for the first few battles.  Mostly infantry based combat.  Then I started to get matched in rounds with armor and planes throwing explosions and suppressing fire everywhere.
Hankering for something similar to Enlisted/Tiger Knights, I found Conqueror's Blade.  Not as much explosions everywhere, but is definitely RPG-ish in levels/gear/quality of troops.  It may actually be worse then Tiger Knights in that regard, but at least matchmaking tends to put you with people theoretically closer to your level.

Joined a party with higher level folks = me matching into high level battles.  My lowbie units can only temporarily hold the line, while dealing nearly no damage to higher quality troops unless under specific condition. 

I still find it fun-ish, at least for now.  It will turn sour if I get destroyed too easily on a constant basis.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 22, 2021, 06:46:00 pm »

I'll add that RS2 actually has a SP campaign that supports up to 8 player coop as well. It feels like more effort went into that than the one-off MP games you can play. The campaign is strongly reminiscent of XCOM2's battlescape. There's regions, you have a mobile base, you gotta spend time to get to new regions, to get new missions, build some shit, while trying to keep the infestation rate down, or nuke a region from orbit if it gets out of control. There's research, gear manufacturing....it all feels like somewhat knock-off XCOM2 gameplay.

We would have done that instead of just straight MP, but there's still some bugs to be hashed out.....

*deep blurb inc*

You see, probably my biggest complaint about RS2 right now is you have to do specific things to rank up. You can still "level" and gain perk points to spend on the skill trees even if you don't "rank up." But if you want to go from Sergeant to Master Sergeant (for example), you have to do something like "shred 3 points of armor with an explosive" or "stun 3 enemies" by the mission's end. It reads very simple but that conceals a lot of issues like, guys that actually are armored may show up once or twice in the early waves, and you won't see a concentration of them until late game. And you're essentially competing with your team for all those kills. Oh and many classes don't natively have access to something like explosives, it's something they probably have to find in the map. Good luck being like "Hey guys, no one shoot that armored guy because I need to plant a claymore so I can blow up his armor so I can.....oh he's already dead." And somethings double stack on the accessibility problem. Like needing to stun guys. Well, in order to stun, they have to be a big enough enemy that they have a suppression bar. In order to stun, that suppression bar has to be full. Once it's full and you hit them with a weapon that inflicts stun, you stun. Except most of the early troops that have suppression bars die so fast that their suppression bar doesn't ever fill up. Sometimes people shoot and kill them with weapons that don't inflict suppression at all. (Most weapons that can inflict stun don't inflict suppression!)

So.....back to the SP campaign. It uses your MP profile, right from the get-go. And when you first, first play the game, it doesn't initially unlock all your potential skill trees until you've ranked up at least once. Which in the beginning is super simple. However when you load into your SP campaign, and it grabs your MP profile.....it still treats you like you just started the game. Oh your profile is there, sorta. But if you check your skill tree, it's reduced like you just started the game. It wants you to rank up once. Which will use your MP profile to determine what that takes. So you start a campaign essentially hard locked behind high level requirements to unlock shit you already have.

*Jackie Chan angry confused face*

(FWIW, "ranking up" only seems to control which color palettes you can make your armor. So far at least. I may make a big deal out of something so minor, but choices like that tend to stick in one's craw, especially if they're a bit of a completionist.)

As I said, there's a fair bit of intentional, wonky, "this is my vision" jank in this game. There was more of it in RS1 that's now been dialed back. But everyone disliked this rank up objective thing. It's not that the game isn't flexible enough to easily get them done once you know what to do....but I play Medic pretty much exclusively. We don't get grenades. So in order to complete the "shred armor w/ explosives" thing, I had to switch to another class and just spam the fuck out of grenades to ensure I got it done, because of the competitive/semi-random nature of combat spawns and everything else.

Like I'm sure I'm not getting something about the interaction of my MP profile and the campaign profile. I'm sure it makes sense in some dev's head. Or maybe it's just bugged. So while I recommend it, you gotta prepare to deal with some design decisions that can easily rub you the wrong way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:54:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 26, 2021, 04:33:32 pm »

Following the freebie release on gog, currently playing the first game of the Shadowrun Trilogy (Shadowrun Returns) that is the less liked of all the 3 by far (while DragonFall and Hong Kong are universally beloved apparently with more feature, more possibilities, content etc)
Returns feels more like an introduction to the shadowrun universe

From my current playthrough, Shadowrun Returns main campaign is really completely linear, you're always railroaded to what to do out of a couple of optional objectives on a few missions, i only had managed to find a single optional side mission (i guess i"m near the end) , a "rescue a guy working for a competitor so we could enslave him to work for us"

Playing on normal difficulty, i find it also surprisingly very easy (playing a melee character),the xcom like battle lack a lot unfortunately in the tactical department (maybe because my melee character lack options too, i just slash people hard until they die while support character shoot them)
Only problem i had was in a later mission in which there was a run through the matrix with a hired decker in which i had overlooked most abilities and could finish it before the alarm, but replaying it while using the decker stuff went a lot easier

But that said, the plus side is that the story is good so far, it"s a nice classic detective murder mystery that end into a bigger plot. 
Characters while not fully explored have some personnality and some dialogues are interesting (but i'm not sure if choices really matters in the events unfolding)

I guess playing with a character that focus on more cyberpunk stuff and items (instead of the "put everything in STR, in Melee and some Dodge guy i created) it could open more possibilities, though the maps are still very linear with very  npc to interact with actually

Notice that the main campaign of Shadowrun Returns has been ported as a custom campaign (with some changes) for the 3rd game of the serie (Shadowrun Hong Kong) named "Vox Populi"

edit : if you are being stuck in one of the endgame parts , the "The Hunt Begins" mission and see no more path to continue
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:31:01 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 27, 2021, 11:45:22 am »

Learned of a rather awesome-sounding very ambitious mod for Shadowrun Dragonfall named "Shadowrun Unlimited"
Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

From what i read the latest version of this mod is on github :
https://github.com/JamesB192/Shadowrun-Unlimited-rip

Here's how to install the latest version for the recent gog freebie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 27, 2021, 02:05:07 pm »

Haven't played much SR Unlimited yet, but I might in a bit.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: June 28, 2021, 12:43:04 am »

snip

Thanks for the write-up and links, I appreciate it.  :)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 28, 2021, 09:47:22 pm »

Did they ever remake the Shadowrun SNES game using the Shadowrun Returns engine?  I thought there was some fan project on that some years ago.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: June 29, 2021, 06:11:06 am »

I don't know for Shadowrun Returns, but on Shadowrun Dragonfall there's this SNES Shadowrun Reboot :
https://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrundragonfall/mods/8

For the anecdote, in the SNES version of Shadowrun (that was different from the Genesis version at the time) , the player character was named Jake Armitage.
And in the main campaign of Shadowrun Returns,  "Dead Man Switch" (or in the port of this campaign renamed "Vox Populi" for Shadowrun Hong Kong) , you will get  some run with him.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: June 29, 2021, 07:04:49 am »

Still sad that the SNES version kept freezing on me in that highrise office where you kinda need some assistance and grenades. I got a sd2snes (snes fx pak from krikkz) too, dunno if it's my rom or what but when it happened to me like 3-4 times I gave up.

Ill probably play SR hongkong right after I loose interest in my tombkings total warhammer campaign. Or is it advised to play the other shadowruns first?
let

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: June 29, 2021, 08:10:05 am »

Having played the original cartridge version all the way through, I can confirm that it wasn't an issue I ever ran into. Could be a ROM or emulator issue I supposed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 29, 2021, 08:30:30 am »

I played an emulated SNES version of Shadowrun through a while back, so there's some version/combo of things that works fine.

And man, was keeping certain characters alive through the endgame fights a ridiculous headache for effectively no payoff.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 29, 2021, 09:33:01 am »

Ill probably play SR hongkong right after I loose interest in my tombkings total warhammer campaign. Or is it advised to play the other shadowruns first?

SR Dragonfall and SR Hong Kong are said to be the absolute best and can be played independantly without problem (and they all have their own user made campaigns anyways for extending the fun after completion).
I'm currently into Dragonfall and i truly enjoy it so far. 

for SR Returns, it's apparently best played as the mod Vox Populi on SR Hong Kong as i read it improves its weak points and it seems there's more content too.

I completed the SR Returns version of the campaign ( Dead Man's Switch) and while the story was good (a noir-like detective murder mystery that of course lead into something bigger) it was unfortunately very linear and too easy (where Dragonfall is not) , i don't know if Vox Populi breaks a bit its linearity.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:35:04 am by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 29, 2021, 10:11:01 am »

Makes me kind of mad that it would perform better on emulator than flashcart plus orginal hardware... Might have been the rom, might have been the flashcart options (like setting EU rom to run at 60hz though if I wasn't a total illeterate 4 years back I would have preferred US roms). But since I cant just port my savegame to another rom, whatever.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 29, 2021, 10:21:22 am »

Now that you mention it, I sorta do remember a freezing problem in that section to. But I finished the game a couple times so I must have found a way around it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 29, 2021, 10:32:08 am »

On an orginal cartridge + hardware??? Because that would be a good enough reason for me to give it another go... But a retro console like that freezing up is genuinly scary to me, I like that box, got it for christmas in 1995.
let
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 174