Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319979 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #960 on: October 15, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »

Hmm, only 2 stars to go to finally unlock the hard mode item for the barbarian class. Let's try the 2 new scenarios that just unlocked (forgotten island and infested sewers), maybe i'll be able to get those 2 remaining stars.

.... after dozens of losses, wow those are hideously hard , can't believe how my character is trashed so fast, didn't even reached the last waves (and so the boss) for each of those 2 scenarios, after trying a few combination of items it still looks like way too hard for me :D

As a point of reference for 'difficulty', I have HM 5* Barbarians with Forgotten Island, Necromancer Tower, Sunken Ghost Ship (this one was kind of RNG-heavy; if you don't get a good start on the first two waves, you won't be able to finish the boss at max combo), and Ancient Tomb.

...Totally don't remember what gear loadout I used, but I know I used Onk's Lockpicks, Fatecrafter's Tools, and Trapper's Mantle a lot.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: October 15, 2020, 01:38:58 pm »

Managed to win hard mode "forgotten island", the 2 items i used were the ever usefull witch knife (curse always rules, and witch knife if a cursed enemy die it gives health and the barbarian important red gem) and something i usually never do : for the 2nd item i took moonstone essence (it unlock the 3rd dices slot directly at the cost of having only 50% of your health).

It worked good as i could refill health with the wave end rewards (and could keep "feel no pain" healing some for later). The 3rd slot unlocked allowed also to take a lot less punishment as it allowed a 3rd attack possibility to kill those resilient enemy faster.

Sadly as i played to survive and win, i only managed 1 single star, so i still miss one to unlock the barbarian hard mode item, it unlocked the necromancer tower and as i expected it completely destroyed me many times :D while the remaining infested sewer is also insane (too many petrify sources to be fun).
I'll have to try your item setup.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 15, 2020, 01:52:36 pm »

For what it's worth I'm a fan of combining Onk's Lockpicks (gain an attack on a random die face when opening chest + detonate spell) with the Chest Plate (always spawn chests on overkill). It has the potential to add up relatively quickly, especially if you also throw a key symbol or two into the mix.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:06 pm »

Yeah, that combo is basically required for either endless mode.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 17, 2020, 09:10:54 am »

YES ! Yes ! yes !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Finally got my barbarian 10 stars in hard mode unlock by beating the necromancer tower scenario.
Surprised me on this victory that it gave me 3 stars while i needed only 1

Got it with the suggested the onk's lockpicks + chest plate item combo, and the witch knife as the 3rd (for the ability of getting enemy dying from curse to give me money and so precious to the barbarian red gems). Wasn't easy at all as it took me half a billions of attempts with those items to finally win this one :D

Those curses that high life enemies were putting on your dices were really a pain to deal with as if unlucky you could roll several cursed die (and lose 1 more health for each of them).
Additionally you also needed all the luck you could to benefit from your best attack dice (how much time i got the weakest attacks on 3 re-rolls even when i had several hard hitting ones, thanks to the chests+items)

It's not a bad hard mode item though considering how many times i went to low health in those hard mode scenarios :

edit :
i just got my best run in campaign mode with the barbarian.
Sady it ended at the Frozen Horror scenario, at a turn from the victory with the 3 bosses, the frozen big boss just went ... unfrozen.
It killed then me right after i killed the 3rd boss.
At 1 turn of winning that one, damn bad luck as if i had 1 more attack on the previous turn i would have finished the scenario ...

I find campaign mode interesting because out of the 3 starting items, each scenario won unlock a random item, so you will end with item or combinaison of them you usually never use anywhere else.

I wonder if it can unlock hard mode items, would be a nice workaround to trying to get 10 stars in insanely crazy hard scenarios
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 11:44:12 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 19, 2020, 10:23:08 am »

This could interest some people here :
https://js13kgames.com/

Js13kGames is a JavaScript coding competition for HTML5 Game Developers. The fun part of the compo is the file size limit set to 13 kilobytes. The competition started at 13:00 CEST, 13th August and ended at 13:00 CEST, 13th September 2020. Theme for this year was 404.

You can see and play all the entries there :
https://js13kgames.com/entries/2020

The top10 (you can play them there) after votes from all the people that entered the contest :
https://github.blog/2020-10-11-top-ten-games-from-the-js13k-2020-competition/

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 22, 2020, 06:32:56 pm »

Playing Caves of Qud right now, and I got a request to bring back 4 electric snail corpses. That's fine, they're common enough that I've probably created 2-3 corpses somewhere already. I found one I had killed earlier in the same room, picked it up, and couldn't carry it back without dropping everything I owned. They weigh 400, and my strong character can only carry 420.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 22, 2020, 07:42:07 pm »

Yeah, corpse dragging can be... rough, if you don't have sleds/piles of negative weight spheres/high strength beguiled minions/high level multi-legs, etc. Tend to be one the quest types you just shrug off and ignore, heh.

e: also we totally have a Qud thread around here somewhere another. Someone was keeping up on posting update changelogs for a while.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:44:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 22, 2020, 08:33:35 pm »

I had five basilisk skins (1200 each) requested by a baetyl. Sorted it out by using a reprogrammable recoiler.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 26, 2020, 08:32:35 am »

The demise by locking of the CDDA main thread is probably a good time to point people about the fact that Coolthulhu's fork "Cataclysm Bright Night" not only still exist but is being worked on and recieve commits nearly daily, so people wanting an alternative to the direction of CDDA can give it a try , and help if they can too :
https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases

And also Zaimoni continuation and bugfixing of the original Whales Cataclysm still exist too and recieve regular commits  (though not regular releases)
https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174897.msg8045020

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 26, 2020, 10:11:30 am »

Hrmm. Would it be a good idea to start a thread for Bright Nights?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: October 26, 2020, 10:20:18 am »

Depends on what kind of odds you'll give me about it getting locked within 6 months.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 26, 2020, 03:18:37 pm »

Shrine

It's on Steam and is free.  Made with the Doom engine.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 26, 2020, 03:34:12 pm »

Depends on what kind of odds you'll give me about it getting locked within 6 months.

Better odds than yet another DDA thread, right? :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 26, 2020, 04:59:31 pm »

Truly, it has an amazingly consistent track record.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 174