Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 319866 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #600 on: December 21, 2019, 06:39:00 pm »

Gerty is a pretty nifty twinstick roguelite that also features co-op... feels vaguely like a topdown Risk of Rain. (Commentary is based on Standard/Roguelite mode.)

So its main gimmick is that all the walls are destructible... in terms of layout though, they're not really walls, but a pile of snow and ice. (And later impenetrable rocks, or you can buy an upgrade to dig through them too.) Basically, you have to dig through stuff. In-run currency is dug out of the walls (or shot out, if you have upgrades) and can be used to purchase upgrades... and the upgrade selection is randomized per station. There's also stats and perks into the mix.

The meta system is a bit more interesting; each unlocked upgrade gives a passive perk (dig speed, health, etc.) and allows it to show up in the random pool, which presents the question of passive perk vs getting junk in the upgrade pool.

Downside is that some of the upgrades/perks are way too powerful-- getting an early cash on damage/dig opens up your options by a lot, and some kind of health on kill/crit/damage is practically required. (And some combos are quite exploitable, since, much like RoR, stuff spawns infinitely.)

Replayability doesn't feel all that good though... I felt like I was falling asleep 3/4ths of the way through (on Normal/Normal difficulty). Thank goodness I managed to take out the boss because I actively don't feel like doing that again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:50:23 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 22, 2019, 02:28:02 pm »

thinking about getting Blasphemous because of the steam sale; anyone know if it's better or worse on switch? i doubt there's a switch sale but i wouldn't have dig my steam controller out if switch is better.

I don't know if it's better or worse, but they did just release a big patch focused on the platforming mechanics to fix a lot of bugs and make it a little more fluid and forgiving.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 26, 2019, 02:27:02 pm »

Still working my way through Wastelands 2 DC
I had read from googling that people have even worse problems with this game that i noticed at that point with stuttering and lag on other locations , some pointing finger to the unity engine not being great on term of performance, some on various hardware/driver thingy or OS differences.

It looks like this has been reported so many times that the devs even made it a joke ingame
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thats said i completed the Hollywood vs Griffith cities storyline (tons of quests to do in this one), and i think i'm now getting close to the end of the game.

Some observations on my run :

Wastelands 2 DC has an insane amount of things happening, much more than what i experienced back when i was playing Fallout 1 or Fallout 2 , it's really packed with events, dialogues and side quests, for something i got free i was very pleasantly surprised by how much things the devs put in that game especially as there are not only 1 way to solve nearly all those quests, ton of good voice acting too that build the atmosphere.

The battles while better than Fallout 1/2 are getting repetitive unfortunately, the complete lack of stealth play (both from player or the enemy) is very detrimental  as it is lowering the amount of options during combat (probably adding to the repetitive thing) so in the end battles feel like they're all the same, some weapons type are also much more effective than other at any range so by focusing a character on handgun or energy weapon you're not getting your squad firepower a favour, shotguns (i recruited an old drunk hobo with good shotgun skills and it was unimpressive).
Assault and Sniper rifles have been dominating on my run (explosives stuff are good when you need area damage too, they're also good on some doors and barrier when your lockpicking skill fail critically or isn't enough)

There's not much enemies with conductive armor, meaning energy weapons are only usefull in a few battles (and even they don't do very noticably better than your assault or sniper rifles against such enemy) while doing subpar against nearly every enemies.
In opposition, most of the best armors you find/buy seems to be all very conductive, meaning if you meet anyone wielding an energy weapons you must remove all armor or die in a couple of hit (as energy weapons do lot more damage against your characters when they're armored).
Quite hilarious that my whole high level squad was utterly annihilated in a few turns by cyborgs wielding energy weapons in a random encounter, while after reloading that battle but getting all my squad naked we wiped them out without much damage ...

Part 2 of the game (California) does not require water anymore, very odd as Arizona water management was too easy (as there are regular oasis around and some items that allow to bring more water) i thought part 2 would have increased this difficulty instead of removing it completely.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:30:41 pm by Robsoie »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 26, 2019, 04:17:02 pm »

Empire at war remake mod is kinda out in the 3.0 iteration

Haven't played the original in years, and it was a pretty fun RTS that managed to pull off space and ground combat to a competent degree. This mod looks to revamp the graphics and add a bunch of stuff, and tbh, from a few videos I've seen the graphics do look pretty fucking great, the explosions are especially pretty.

And seeing as the game itself is on sale on pretty much every platform atm and is like 6 or so € no reason not to give it a shot. Will report results once the whole shebang is downloaded and running.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 26, 2019, 04:43:12 pm »

Empire at War has a decent bunch of mods for it out there as well. I've had a bit of fun with Republic of War and Thrawn's Revenge, and I've heard good things about Awakening of the Rebellion and this remake mod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 27, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »

It occurs to me that the way Disgaea games are set up (long, meandering plot to make sure you gain enough power to take on a reasonably-powered end boss) is perfect for a shaggy dog story, and I'm disappointed NIS hasn't done that yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 31, 2019, 09:40:47 am »

Looking at the sales this autumn season and now winter. It can't bode well for the business looking at how fast new games go on sale these days.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 31, 2019, 09:58:58 am »

Eh... from what I understand most purchases happen in a pretty short time frame. Lot of emphasis gets put on the first few weeks. Starting sales up a month or two after release or somethin', particularly smaller discounts, is probably less a bad sign and more that marketing et al is getting more canny and optimizing where to put their price point and when for maximum (short-ish term) monetary extraction.

Which. I guess could be a bad sign for the consumer. Not so much the business, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 31, 2019, 10:17:02 am »

Eh... from what I understand most purchases happen in a pretty short time frame. Lot of emphasis gets put on the first few weeks. Starting sales up a month or two after release or somethin', particularly smaller discounts, is probably less a bad sign and more that marketing et al is getting more canny and optimizing where to put their price point and when for maximum (short-ish term) monetary extraction.

Which. I guess could be a bad sign for the consumer. Not so much the business, heh.

It's not good for newer developers, which is also bad for the consumer. It's fine if you want Call of Duty 18.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 31, 2019, 12:19:23 pm »

I just realised I've probably had that thought at least once before; and likely posted about it somewhere on bay12 every time.

I need to start doing more brain exercises. Crossword puzzles or seppukus or something.
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 31, 2019, 01:38:49 pm »

I gave a try to that Tower of Time freebie from gog as it looked like a diablo/torchlight dungeon crawler and ended uninstalling it as i really didn't liked the battle system they implemented (that is a mix of old jrpg with encounter -> arena in which the battle actually happen in real time and tower defense system with enemy waves and one of your party guy making walls ).

Oh and it seems to be very (in comparison to other games with better visuals) demanding on the system, i had to lower a lot all the default settings to finally get something playable.
Anyways it was not for me, but considering it's free for now maybe worth a try for people that can like this combat system.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 31, 2019, 03:19:50 pm »

The Legend of Bumbo came out a while ago.

I love me some Binding of Isaac. But it was distinctly not that. Some kind of puzzle game or game show-based thing? I put it on my wishlist because it was in the "Isaac Universe" but didn't have any real intentions of getting it. Just didn't seem quite like my game. I tend not to go for Puzzler games liike Bejeweled and what not.

And therefore a friend got it for me for Xmas.

It is......a strange beast.

You play Bumbo, a minor character from the Binding of Isaac. Bumbo want coin. Bumbo's brother take coin. Bumbo get coin back.

Gameplay is a combination of several different things.

You have a dungeon with multiple rooms, with enemies in them, a shop and eventually a boss.

Kill all the monsters in a room, automatically move to the next. Clear all the rooms, fight the boss.

To fight guys, first, you get a tile matching grid. Each tile represents some kind of move. Bones and Teeth are attacks, Snot and Poop steal enemy moves or block their attacks respectively, Piss gives you an extra action. By default you get two actions to shift tiles on the grid around. Match up at least 4 tiles, and you get an "attack" you can do.

Meanwhile, above the tile grid are enemies in 3 x 4 space. There's guys in the back ranks, guys in the front ranks and they can move forward, use ranged attacks, special abilities and so forth.

You match tiles on the grid to get you attacks, which you then use on the enemies in the battle space to knock down their HP or delay them. Once you use up all your moves and take all your actions, the enemies go, then you go, etc....

On top of all this is the "Spell" system. Bumbo has a few spells that run off of "Mana" that correspond to the tiles you matched. So if you match 4 Bone tiles, not only do you get an attack to do against the enemies in the battle space, you get 4 Bone Mana to cast one of your spells with. You can have up to 5 spells, some of which are passive buffs or buffs with cooldowns or actual attacks, and you can find new spells in the shops as you progress.

It's a lot to juggle. Making the right choices on the Tile Grid is the meat of gameplay, but beyond that, knowing where to throw your attacks for max effectiveness, or which spells would help you the most, makes for a ton of decision making turn per turn. With the right cascade of clearing tiles, you can go from doing maybe 2 attacks and one spell on your turn, to doing 5 or 6 or 7.

There's multiple types of Bumbo each with their own stats and set of starting spells, all very carefully geared toward a particular mechanic. Regular Bumbo has a spell that completely re-rolls the tile grid, while Nimble Bumbo has a spell that selectively destroys one tile on the grid, allowing you to semi-game the grid and try to get the tiles you want.

In the BoI style, each win you get with a Bumbo unlocks a new dungeon to progress through, and a new Bumbo to try out.

Bosses tend to be more like puzzles where they do specific things and you have to figure out the best way to win against their variety of mechanic, whether that's regeneration or damage negation or what have you.

I didn't expect to get very far in to the game, but 5 hours later I found myself with over half the Bumbo's unlocked and several wins under my belt.

I haven't actually lost a game yet. What seems like a crazy amount of variables to juggle is actually quite manageable as long as you really think before you act and really pay attention to the tile grid and your spells to get the most out of every turn you can. Bumbo's abilities are quite powerful when used correctly.

Between the very strange "cardboard cutout" visual style, Ridiculon's music and some very over the top voice acting by Ridiculon, it comes across as a very odd duck of a game. And yet for all that, it's got some depth and some carefully thought out gameplay.

I can't say it's "as good as Binding of Isaac" because they are two very different games despite the visuals and content bits looking very similar between them. There's enemies and items from BoI you'll recognize by sight if not by function. Playing LoB though I sort of felt an absence of a goal or something to work towards. In BoI it was very apparent. Tons of unlocks and secrets to be found, lots of characters to unlock, bosses to get better at fighting and eventually beat. LoB doesn't seem to have that same loop. There's not really any unlocks to speak of other than new Bumbos or levels, and not being particularly challenged didn't entice me to play aggressively like I did with BoI. I'm sure there's more bosses to work toward fighting like Mom or the Devil. It's just LoB doesn't feel like this vast web of content quite like BoI did, even when it first released.

All it all it's not a bad little puzzler game, and if you're wanting more stuff in the BoI universe but don't feel the desire to actually play BoI, LoB is a reasonable substitute.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:26:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 31, 2019, 04:47:49 pm »

Bumbo's brother take coin.

You have a dungeon with multiple rooms, with enemies in them, a shop and eventually a boss.

Please tell me the joke is you can't afford the items at the shop because you do not have a coin.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 31, 2019, 05:34:46 pm »

Nah, you get coins after clearing each room. Presumably, the coin Bumbo is questing after is special somehow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 31, 2019, 08:27:01 pm »

Coin is the plural of coin, you understand.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 174