Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 169

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 304690 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2400 on: September 30, 2023, 12:52:36 pm »

Trying to load a game, and this is the crash error. Anyone able to translate crash messages into usable information?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: September 30, 2023, 02:21:54 pm »

The InvalidARG thing seems to be something that pops up when the program's either having trouble accessing storage, or you don't have enough space for the whatever.

That's about all I can parse from a quick check and some googling, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: September 30, 2023, 05:07:55 pm »

The InvalidARG thing seems to be something that pops up when the program's either having trouble accessing storage, or you don't have enough space for the whatever.

That's about all I can parse from a quick check and some googling, though.

Could be difficulty with access then, because I currently have space on my drives.

Everything I could find was for programmers, so this is at least a step in the right direction.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 01, 2023, 05:24:39 am »

googling a bit it seems that lots of people have varied type of crashes with that game without seeing some solution out of this one on discord about a fatal error :
Someone from the Modus support team actually responded to the email I sent regarding this issue. They suggested removing the game's save file and launching it without cloud saving enabled, which did resolve the crashing problem. However, this led to the unfortunate outcome of losing all my progress in the game.

Now, when I try to launch the game with cloud saving turned on, it asks me if I want to use the save file stored from yesterday. But whenever I choose to use it, the game crashes again. I suspect my save file might have gotten corrupt somehow, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm really hoping there's a way to recover my progress somehow. I did create a local backup of the save file, but I'm unsure if it'll be of any help in this situation.

So try to disable the cloud save in case your crash is related to it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 01, 2023, 10:32:04 am »

googling a bit it seems that lots of people have varied type of crashes with that game without seeing some solution out of this one on discord about a fatal error :
Someone from the Modus support team actually responded to the email I sent regarding this issue. They suggested removing the game's save file and launching it without cloud saving enabled, which did resolve the crashing problem. However, this led to the unfortunate outcome of losing all my progress in the game.

Now, when I try to launch the game with cloud saving turned on, it asks me if I want to use the save file stored from yesterday. But whenever I choose to use it, the game crashes again. I suspect my save file might have gotten corrupt somehow, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm really hoping there's a way to recover my progress somehow. I did create a local backup of the save file, but I'm unsure if it'll be of any help in this situation.

So try to disable the cloud save in case your crash is related to it.

Can't. Still haven't successfully loaded the game. It freezes before the splash screen comes up.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 02, 2023, 07:51:46 pm »

I've been revisiting the Kingdom of Loathing, one of my old internet browser game mainstays. At one point in time there was an active thread here but it's a pretty quiet game now—but the developers release a steady stream of Steam/console games that bring a trickle of players to see the history of the worldbuilding and humor that's very alive in those games.

The gameplay loop is such that there are 13 levels of "main quest" which can be replayed (with a huge amount of end-game content by this point, with new content still added via monthly donation items to this day.) I was quite glad to see that I could still get my time down to my record of 4 days for the main questline. There's been a few changes to the quests over time but I still have most of them scarred into my memory.

And I spotted one of my old clanmates online and caught up in the chat which was special (especially since it's probably 2019 since I last played in earnest and 2020 since I last logged in).

The only bummer is that I used to look forward to getting an anniversary item on my account birthday each year. But once your account is 11 years old they run out of gifts!

I feel like a lot of the old browser-games have dwindled down to an unsustainable player-base (or shut down entirely) and it's definitely left a hole in my gaming habits. Felt nice to pop in to a community with a shared history and language and just catch up.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 04, 2023, 10:35:18 am »

Currently toying with Moonring and so far it's really good.
Was only expecting YetAnotherRoguelike with just an old Ultima-styled tileset , but it's much more than that as it feels more like a big adventure than just a classic dungeon crawl like in most RL.
Give it a try

If you're not on steam, you can get the latest build on the developer discord :
https://discord.com/invite/tYfHgXc
Go to the '⁠builds' area above this one and download the latest .love file from there.
Then you download the latest copy of love2d for whatever machine you have from here: https://love2d.org/
To launch the game either drag the "moonring.love" file into the love.exe or just launch the game with a shortcut to love.exe with in its Target line added moonring.love
example :
C:\YourLove2DDirectory\love.exe moonring.love

Player and NPC have no diagonal move, felt weird for a while until i finally got used to it. The UI is very well done so you can play only with your mouse instead of keyboard key shortcuts (but you can use keyboard shortcut at any time too)

There's a prompt for dialogues, fortunately the usable words are highlighted in the NPC text so you don't have to get a headache finding which words the game can understand.
You can (fortunately) disable the CRT shader in the options
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:37:23 am by Robsoie »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 04, 2023, 10:59:54 am »

Can confirm it's really good, considering it's a honest to god free game (with no dodgy 'give us your data' eula). A real throwback to the early gaming era - with its own unique rpg system, not holding your hand, and asking you to solve some actual riddles - but with much better UX.
Still, it sort of lacks sufficient challenge progression given the amount of content. It doesn't take long into the story before you're able to take on every enemy/dungeon with similar success rate (you can still die to a string of bad rolls), and unlock every skill or item you'll ever use. The experience of having to go through samey dungeons filled with samey enemies to progress the story becomes tedious soon after.

also, yeah, the CRT monitor the dev had as a kid must have been really busted
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 11:01:52 am by Il Palazzo »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 04, 2023, 05:16:24 pm »

I've been revisiting the Kingdom of Loathing, one of my old internet browser game mainstays. At one point in time there was an active thread here but it's a pretty quiet game now—but the developers release a steady stream of Steam/console games that bring a trickle of players to see the history of the worldbuilding and humor that's very alive in those games.

The gameplay loop is such that there are 13 levels of "main quest" which can be replayed (with a huge amount of end-game content by this point, with new content still added via monthly donation items to this day.) I was quite glad to see that I could still get my time down to my record of 4 days for the main questline. There's been a few changes to the quests over time but I still have most of them scarred into my memory.

And I spotted one of my old clanmates online and caught up in the chat which was special (especially since it's probably 2019 since I last played in earnest and 2020 since I last logged in).

The only bummer is that I used to look forward to getting an anniversary item on my account birthday each year. But once your account is 11 years old they run out of gifts!

I feel like a lot of the old browser-games have dwindled down to an unsustainable player-base (or shut down entirely) and it's definitely left a hole in my gaming habits. Felt nice to pop in to a community with a shared history and language and just catch up.

Really? I thought that died after it came out one of the creators was a sex pest.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 04, 2023, 07:43:06 pm »

Really? I thought that died after it came out one of the creators was a sex pest.
Nope, still kicking with about 200 players online at any given time. There were certainly allegations about the remaining member of the game's original development team which I'm sure are archived online. I don't know that individual's level of involvement now as I took my leave from the game around that time as many did, but he's likely still the main owner. Read up before you send money their way. I found a community on their free-to-play browser game for a decade and still appreciated seeing familiar faces.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 10, 2023, 07:39:47 am »

I've finally had some time to play Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones and after a couple of restarts I've even made it to the end. It's definitely a bit buggy (cutscenes that didn't play or were stuttering, levels that didn't load as they should etc) but nothing gamebreaking and honestly I like it well enough to consider replaying it, as a different character. It plays a lot like a point and click puzzle/adventure game sprinkled with some action/rpg bits on it.

Character skills matter. Choices matter. Crafting maybe matter? I 'm not sure, I've tinkered with it but it wasn't a big part of my playthrough. The most important thing, player skills matter! Yeah it can be cheesed through reloading, but it's been a while since I last played a game where running from battles and taking notes are legit ways to progress.

Speaking of battles they are clunky as hell, mostly because of the UI, but once you get used to it they can become fun, even "fluid" depending on your charcter/companions. They do have some difficulty spikes but as the game suggests "it's about enduring and survivng, not winning every fight".

Finally, I'm not well versed in the whole lovecraftian mythos so I won't comment on how faithful the game is. However, since spooky season is upon us, I'd say I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a horror/scary game. There are some horror elements but the game's presentation doesn't lend itself for that.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 19, 2023, 05:19:07 pm »

I recently picked up, and played through, The Case of the Golden Idol: A fun little sleuthing adventure where you have to pick out clues from the environment and then piece together a narrative for what happened.

It's not particularly difficult, save for some of the later levels which lean a bit on the opaque (or in the case of the DLCs, ridiculously wordy) and for the mostpart you spend the lion's share of your time just putting names to faces. But there are some legitimately clever clues and hints in some of the puzzles that you really need to be paying attention in order to put together, and the art style is unique in a way which you'll find either deeply endearing or quite repulsive (I'm firmly in the first camp, at least for the main game... The DLCs go a little bit wibbly).

You might consider the price a bit steep for something that's over and done with in under 9 hours (and that's WITH both DLCs, which both take a while), but it's quite a special little thing and I highly recommend checking out the free demo if nothing else. The demo also just so happens to contain one of my favorite scenes from the whole game, so there's that.

A word about the DLCs, however... While they definitely do have their own merits and I don't regret purchasing and playing them, there are some notable shifts in narrative, theme, and even puzzle structure. The finale of the second DLC is actually somewhat notorious, and while I still managed to get through without using the game's help/hint system, I did just brute-force my way through some of the composition thanks to the game's "two or fewer fields are incorrect on this page" notice.

I'm also just generally not as big a fan of the story in the DLCs as I was for the main campaign, and while the end of the second DLC ties neatly into the beginning of the campaign, I'm... Not entirely sure I appreciate that canon :P

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 27, 2023, 11:51:06 am »

I debated bumping the MMO thread...decided against it. It's around 3 years now since there's been any reason to post there.

I've now lost all faith in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

Being developed by some of the original creators of Everquest and promising to bring back what made the early MMO's great, this has in recent years been my last hope for a new MMO I could get invested in. But about a month ago they announced a massive change in art direction, with a bold new 'hand-painted' style that would be completely unique. Except it's not unique, at all; I've seen this exact same art style used in every low-budget MMO that flopped miserably over the last decade. It looks like something designed for a phone app aimed at preteens, and not a good one.

And now they've announced an alternative 'Evacuation' style game mode, reminiscent of Tarkov. This simply could not be further from the vision that was promised.

Feedback in the official channels is pretty much unanimously grim, and I'm right there with them. Pantheon might as well be dead, and with it all hope for MMO's making a comeback, at least anytime soon.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: November 18, 2023, 02:07:36 pm »

Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander 2.0 is a game I know nothing about but the Rock Paper Shotgun feature gave FTL and Dwarf Fortress shout-outs and the trailer seems pretty hype. Looks like it could be a pretty fun sci-fi game. The creators of an 1989 MS-DOS game of the same name recently released a polished steam version:
The 2.0 version does sport a few "modern" flourishes: improved AI and UI elements, various bug fixes and some quality-of-life enhancements such as improved key commands, together with new overlays for fleet command and probe operations. It also lets you access ship performance data not available in the older versions, and allows you to beam prisoners into stars to raise crew morale. These krellan ship captains only get more sadistic with age, it seems.

I love the aesthetic and I'm all for old game developers bringing stuff a little more accessible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: November 18, 2023, 06:09:06 pm »

We do have a thread for that one, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 169