Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 169

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 304689 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2385 on: September 16, 2023, 10:07:32 pm »

Unity clarified that a single computer will only generate a single charge no matter how many times its installed.
That said the whole "lol, we are going to retroactively change the pricing structure AND multiply the annual cost for an account by 4" is still going to be a massive problem for said game studios, especially combined with the lack of trust in them not simply screwing them over even more in the future.
It sounds like Unity needs to roll-back these changes and go back to the drawing board, else they risk losing all of their business.
Its too late for that, everyone has now lost trust in Unity and nobody will develop new stuff in it ever again, plus its entirely possible that the retroactive changes are judged illegal and they don't even get the money of stuff that was already released.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: September 16, 2023, 10:28:45 pm »

Unity clarified that a single computer will only generate a single charge no matter how many times its installed.

Changed their minds when people got mad, but yeah.

It sounds like Unity needs to roll-back these changes and go back to the drawing board, else they risk losing all of their business.
Its too late for that, everyone has now lost trust in Unity and nobody will develop new stuff in it ever again, plus its entirely possible that the retroactive changes are judged illegal and they don't even get the money of stuff that was already released.
[/quote]

Hopefully, eys.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: September 17, 2023, 12:27:56 am »

The counterargument I've been hearing to this, is that Unity is not supposed to be legally able to collect unique identifiers from people's PC's which they would need to ensure they are not charging multiple times.
Unity says they won't do it, but they can't give a good explanation as to how.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: September 17, 2023, 01:40:32 am »

Now that Unity has pretty much killed itself I wonder what game engine indie game companies will use.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: September 17, 2023, 03:31:14 am »

Well there's Unreal of course, and Humble Bundle just coincidentally happened to push out a mega bundle a couple days ago for developing games in Godot... Also quite possible that the vacuum will cause entirely new actors to pop up and gain some traction

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: September 17, 2023, 05:45:37 am »

I think the only game I'm aware of being unity is kenshi 2... I should probably check on what they're thinking of doing because while I'm following it I'm not *following* it.

It'd probably not the only one I'm interested in that I'd on unity but it is the only one I'm aware of because they made it a point
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: September 17, 2023, 06:03:23 am »

Wonder if the open source godot engine will become more attractive for indie developers after that unity screwup, after all it's hard to beat completely free in term investing money in buying an engine license, and in term of capability godot have improved a lot in recent years and continue to get better.
I guess all godot needs is a godot-powered game that gain big popularity to advertise it more to indie development.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: September 17, 2023, 11:18:49 am »

Godot has a lot of potential and is great, but its potential is still best measured by decades. It's still a very immature engine.

Unity's business decisions are awful and have been awful for a while now (remember when they bought and merged with the malware installer company a year ago?), but it's hard to transfer experience in engines. Exponentially harder, if not effectively impossible, to transfer work done in projects between engines. For any game in a non-negligible level of development, you basically have to rewrite the game from scratch.

I believe that Unity will eventually partially backtrack further to something that's still utterly awful but... somewhat less-so. They'll have further destroyed what little trust they have left and will see less and less projects being started in it. Indie and high-budget studios will all look at it and say "what the fuck? why would we want this?" and heavily consider other engines. But plenty of studios with heavy experience and sunk-cost in Unity will continue using it. And those with existing projects won't deem it worth it to spend the massive amounts of time to port the projects to another engine.

Still. Sucks though, for everyone.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: September 17, 2023, 12:30:18 pm »

an interesting side effect of unity trying to kill itself :
https://old.reddit.com/r/godot/comments/16krpb0/the_godot_development_fund_is_skyrocketing/
It nearly doubled in a week :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 12:32:44 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: September 17, 2023, 04:56:06 pm »

Godot has a lot of potential and is great, but its potential is still best measured by decades. It's still a very immature engine.

Unity's business decisions are awful and have been awful for a while now (remember when they bought and merged with the malware installer company a year ago?), but it's hard to transfer experience in engines. Exponentially harder, if not effectively impossible, to transfer work done in projects between engines. For any game in a non-negligible level of development, you basically have to rewrite the game from scratch.
For what it's worth, from everything I'm hearing it's actually pretty easy to transition from unity to godot, in particular. Not trivial -- folks have noted transitioning a sizeable developed game would likely take a few weeks to a month -- but they're apparently very similar architecture in a lot of ways. It's not rewriting the game from scratch, just adjusting the assets from unity so they function correctly in godot... stuff pointing at the right place, junk like that.

Also seen  more than one dev note transitioning from unity to godot experience wise is, well, relatively painless. Both engines function in pretty similar ways, basically, enough someone familiar with the former can shift into using the latter pretty quickly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: September 18, 2023, 10:30:54 am »

Started Blasphemous 2.

I think....it's got the sequel problem. In that what made the first game so good is that it was so unique and never-before-seen.

So going in to Blasphemous 2 knowing the lay of the land, you kind of skip right past that stuff.

Mechanically it's a better game. The boss fights have been more challenging. The addition of two different types of weapons keeps the gameplay feeling fresh. There's like a second Rosary now so there's two angles to customize your build. There's lots of QoL from the outset, lots of collectibles with gameplay impact. It's a larger game, it fees like, with more areas. All in all it's very solid on that front.

The story however feels rushed. Or I suppose that's my perception compared to the first game. I think some of it has to do with all the animations they've created in the time between the first and second game, where they're telling a lot of the story there. So jumping into Blasphemous 2 having not seen any of that, I feel like I'm missing a chunk of the world setting and context and am just getting the broad strokes in the game.

That and I feel like it's more plainly spoken. The dialog from the first game was esoteric and hard to follow but that was part of its charm. Here I feel like they're being more deliberate in how characters speak, and adding a ton of flavor on top of that. So when you find a guy puking honey he's like "I had a dream where the void in my soul was filled with nectar, so the Miracle filled me up with beeeeeeessssssss."

Enjoying myself. It's just the game feels less like a religious fever dream than the first one, and that was honestly its strongest selling point. I'm maybe 16 hours in and just over the 60% mark. So it actually is feeling kind of like a short game unless there's some whacky inverted castle shit yet to be had.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:44:20 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: September 20, 2023, 11:27:29 am »

I wonder if it will become another trend in the unity debacle and more gaming dev companies will make a similar stand as the one the Terraria guys did :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(source : https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1704227519027651016 )

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: September 22, 2023, 02:11:43 pm »

Someone made a parody of the (already parody) Big Bill Hell's car ad, starring Unity. The visuals sell it. It's got some language, though.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s1784qa0k51uv5582.mp4

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: September 24, 2023, 03:40:50 am »

Finished Blasphemous 2.

TLDR: It's good. It's a more polished and feature-rich game than the first. It has tighter handling, somewhat more mechanical gameplay depth, better quality of life, more exciting boss fights, some cool designs and the soundtrack slaps (which I'm listening to while I write this.) In terms of the setting and story though it lacks the unearthly quality, the same fervor and zeal of the first game. As though having proven its devotion once already its grace was assured.

Spoiler: The Rest (click to show/hide)

The soundtrack IS absolutely sick though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 05:06:08 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: September 24, 2023, 09:44:27 am »

Finished Blasphemous 2.

TLDR: It's good. It's a more polished and feature-rich game than the first. It has tighter handling, somewhat more mechanical gameplay depth, better quality of life, more exciting boss fights, some cool designs and the soundtrack slaps (which I'm listening to while I write this.) In terms of the setting and story though it lacks the unearthly quality, the same fervor and zeal of the first game. As though having proven its devotion once already its grace was assured.

Spoiler: The Rest (click to show/hide)

The soundtrack IS absolutely sick though.

Awesome breakdown. Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 169