Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 321542 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1890 on: September 05, 2022, 09:40:07 am »

... isn't star citizen that one that's drummed up like half a billion dollars and still hasn't produced a finished product despite over a decade of development? If that's the same thing it's pretty infamous for having a whole slew of problems, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: September 05, 2022, 04:33:57 pm »

A few things, first off, today I learned that one of my all time favorite RTS games, a little known cult classic Battle Realms which came out right before WC3 has a sort of remaster edition going on? The original was available for free on GoG a while back but that one had issues, mostly relating to trying run an early 2000's game on a modern system. The remaster has been out on Steam (linky) for almost three years now and has been updated and polished up in that time. I am super happy to be able to lose time with it since it was such a well made take on the classic formula, with enough changes to make it interesting but nothing that was so out there that it felt like a gimmick. Plus it's kinda cheap at only 9-ish euros.

Second thing, that will probably warrant a thread eventually but I can't be arsed to make one right now is that ORX (linky) is out on EA on Steam. There was a demo for it a while back and it's what got me excited for the game in the first place. What is ORX you ask? Well it's this funky little mix of a tower defense, deck-building roguelite and Carcassone of all things. All packed in this very striking graphic style and with some nice music to boot.
It's fairly simple of a concept, you have your town center you gotta protect from several waves of ORX on each map. You do that by playing cards which build roads to give you money (your main resource), place down support buildings that buff or heal or do any number of weird effects, cast spells, put down troops and finally, assemble castles from many tiles of different shapes. It's super satisfying once you get the hang of it to be able to plan out and daisy-chain a massive fortress that envelops most of your other buildings and rains absolute shitloads of arrows on anything that comes near.
And this is just one of the factions, the other one being very different in that it doesn't really build castles but instead relies on amassing troops and using those for a mobile defense.
They're planning more factions/cards/enemies/everything else down the line, but the game is fairly feature complete even at this point and I've sunk more than enough hours into it to make the price of 12-ish euros well worth it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: September 05, 2022, 04:37:15 pm »

... isn't star citizen that one that's drummed up like half a billion dollars and still hasn't produced a finished product despite over a decade of development? If that's the same thing it's pretty infamous for having a whole slew of problems, iirc.

Yeah. Again, I haven't played a ton, but in my short time with the game the major issues I've encountered are a lack of ownership system, which allows me to rob everyone blind and none of the NPC's even notice. Held items frequently bug out, preventing me from picking them up or putting them down, which can completely break quest progression. And AI is super derpy, to the point that it's more unusual to find an NPC who is not calmly walking straight into a wall in the middle of a firefight.
But bugs and unimplemented features can be fixed. My greater concern is that even if all of those things were addressed, you would still be left with an underlying game that is very basic. It's an MMO with absolutely nothing to incentivize player interaction; they could make it a single player game and nothing would be lost. And the missions have no dynamic range; you read the description and know exactly what you're going to be doing, exactly the same as the last time you took one of these missions.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: September 06, 2022, 01:00:15 pm »

ORX (linky) is out on EA on Steam.
ORX is fun. Not terribly deep, but addictive. I especially like the 'corruption' mechanic that basically lets you adjust the difficulty as you play while tempting you with some bonuses. I invariably get greedy and get myself killed.
It can feel somewhat front-loaded with the difficulty, though. Most of the time the biggest (or only) challenge in a stage is surviving the first, maybe two waves, as you struggle to get the basic infrastructure going. The remainder tends to be a foregone conclusion.
But since you unlock more cards for the orx as well as yourself as you play, it gets harder overall with time.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: September 07, 2022, 03:27:37 am »

The Tomorrow Children
Is back on PS4/5 and this time without monetization. It also means that it's not free-to-play (it's actually somewhat expensive), but it's great to be back being a benevolent worker for the greater good in a Soviet children TV style.

The shortest description I can give to newcomers is, that it's the altruistic helping unknown others from Death Stranding in a world of soviet wooden dolls.

https://www.q-games.com/en/ttc-pe-en/

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: September 15, 2022, 08:14:51 am »

Stacklands: Like the gameplay of Cultist Simulator, but if you'd rather have it as a village survival game, as opposed to a kind of kind of rambling puzzle game.

It's kind of rough around the edges, very 'breakable', but surprisingly entertaining.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: September 16, 2022, 09:48:46 pm »

Foretales... feels like Underhand with the narrative progression of Stories: The Path of Destinies. And if that makes no sense, it's a card-based game where you're shuffling around limited resources trying to get enough of a specific resource to overcome the upcoming challenge, and a storyline that forces you to decide between conflicting goals. It's narrative-based, and entertaining enough.

Spoiler: For more details... (click to show/hide)

"Can I plunge my coconuts into your tar barrel?"
"Buy me a drink first."
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:41:47 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: September 17, 2022, 04:38:40 am »

Finally completed Vampyr and enjoyed it tremendously.

some spoiler-free wall of text :

Spoiler: yeah no real spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:44:32 am by Robsoie »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: September 17, 2022, 06:13:29 am »

Yeah, if you lay the S U C C on any NPC, including that one in a special situation who seems like they should be a freebie, you'll get permanently locked out of the good ending.

I can see the merit behind the concept there, as making the "evil" route actually be more powerful than the good one gives players a legit motivation to go down the route of selfishness... Something uncommon in a lot of moral choice games. But that said, the implementation seems a teensy bit sticky to me. Especially given that the gameplay itself between start and finish doesn't really change much between a good run or a naughty one. And also the slight dissonance where it's apparently perfectly fine to gorge yourself on the blood of nameless mooks, just so long as you never ever bite one of these people in particular.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: September 17, 2022, 06:28:05 am »

In the same time every nameless mooks are actively trying to murder you at every opportunity.

There's a case though regarding a named NPC that killing does not bother the "good guy no NPC killing" ending.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 06:29:49 am by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: September 17, 2022, 07:44:35 am »

-

ptw

I can't understand where the rts have gone feels like they went from 15-20% marketshare to a noteworthy title or two per year... There is just so much stuff we could add to the formula using our computing power... real fire trajectories, ragdoll stuff, voxel terrain, track a ton more stats and bodyparts and dmg types, you name it... meanwhile modern rts releases tend towards the warcraft side of things, small armies, unique units playing a huge role etc. Looking at all this it still feels like cossacks1 was some sort technological marvel, just look at the measly specs it resquires to put thousands of units on the screen. Who cares about batttles right?! This is a rts pump out the top 5 percentile graphics on those 25 models it's what the people want, i judge my rts by their shaders..
let

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 17, 2022, 12:53:23 pm »

Currently on a replay of A Plague Tale : Innocence that i completed a year ago (after epic had it as a freebie of the week)

And i'm still super impressed how incredibly good it looks even on low settings, and how smooth it is even on a potato computer, i don't know what magic coders they had but that's a jewel of optimisation.

Still very good even despite the storyline does not have anymore surprise on a 2nd run and the railroaded linearity, but the dialogues and vocal actors are so good that you still feel immersed in their adventure and want to help them overcoming those crazy odds.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 17, 2022, 02:38:06 pm »

Real time strategy games were popular from the mid 1990s to some time in the early 2000s.  Then people fiddled around with Warcraft 3's custom map maker and that spawned Tower Defense games and MOBAs.  Then there are Paradox's strategy games, which are a bit different but still fairly popular.

As far as "conventional RTS" games go, I enjoted Meridian: New World.  Single player only and something of a budget title but I recommend it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 17, 2022, 03:43:49 pm »

Most of the RTS' that are getting made have just slipped back a tier or two from AAA. There's stuff like Dune: Spicewars and others. That's how it goes really with genres, don't you think? It's big, everyone is trying it in the AAA space, then interests shift, there's now hotness, and only a small handful have the money and resources and interest in a specific genre to keep making games, and only some of those actually get finished. And so you end up with 1 or 2 big titles a yearish.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 17, 2022, 07:51:05 pm »

Real time strategy games were popular from the mid 1990s to some time in the early 2000s.  Then people fiddled around with Warcraft 3's custom map maker and that spawned Tower Defense games and MOBAs.  Then there are Paradox's strategy games, which are a bit different but still fairly popular.

As far as "conventional RTS" games go, I enjoted Meridian: New World.  Single player only and something of a budget title but I recommend it.
Personally I prefer PDX's because the games are longer and they're pausable. I'm not a fan of RTSes being high-tension, having to jump from one place to another to make sure you're producing the right things, you're not being flanked, the army you sent off needs new orders, etc. all at the same time. That can happen in, say, EUIV but at least you can pause it to deal with them all.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 174