Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 174

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 320168 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1155 on: May 06, 2021, 03:07:13 am »

Space Haven has assuredly been mentioned here, but I'm here to recommend it again. It's a cool little game - still a work in progress.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 06, 2021, 03:21:46 pm »

Space Haven has assuredly been mentioned here, but I'm here to recommend it again. It's a cool little game - still a work in progress.

I bought it but can't for the life of me get into it as it is now. Maybe I'm missing out on all the fun because I'm dumb and/or haven't played enough, but it feels like I'm just constantly wandering around trying to scavenge enough fuel from derelicts to keep me from going dark and nothing interesting ever really happens other than the occasional space bug.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 06, 2021, 07:18:18 pm »

That's basically it, from my experience as well - I just happen to enjoy that. Much like Rimworld - having your own goal is basically necessary.

woodsmoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2021, 02:14:19 am »

I finally finished development of a game that started in 2017.

RAUM DRIVE at itch.io

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:50:56 am by woodsmoke »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2021, 11:43:28 am »

So this... Smelter thing. Only watched a couple hours of gameplay, but it seems to be a pretty straightforward Actraiser+Megaman X (including an OST partially from a megaman series composer) mashup, just with, uh. Kill la Kill aesthetics? Very, very Kill la Kill aesthetics.

Seems pretty neat, in any case.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 09, 2021, 08:10:22 am »

I've been playing "Pine" for a while, as i had read some interesting concepts about it i grabbed the free offer on Epic.
Pine has some (very simple) survival elements with stamina and hunger, but there's some interesting features that are supposed to make the open world "alive" : there are several tribes in the world that have changing relations and send workers/fighters do their work in order to feed their tribes, increasing their numbers or failing and going to ruin, with you in the middle while exploring said open world and getting involved.

The cartoony look wasn't really up to my taste to be honest (it's noticably inspired by the Zelda games, those tribes are made of a lot of cartoony animal people tribes, and you're a cartoony human) so i hoped the gameplay would make up for it.

My first experience was rather an annoyance , from the main menu starting a new game will have you waiting for nearly 2 long minutes (on the paper it does not seems that long, but looking at a screen and doing nothing waiting for 2 minutes is feeling really long) before finally getting to play (some people even reported it takes much longer than that for them).

Once ingame there was also a big performance problem for me, the game was running simply like crap, for reason i didn't understood considering the game does not really look half as good as some other games on my system that were running incredibly smoothly on my system.
Was it another case of "Unity is really not an efficient and performing engine" ? Looked like it unfortunately, unless the game is just not optimised.

After lowering settings/resolution a lot (there's not much visual settings, so you can't really pinpoint what's the lag real source) and very importantly as i found out disabled the game own V-Sync settings (that was easily cutting framerate by half, making it really choppy) , i could finally play relatively smoothly (even it then looked rather average mediocre as least the environment was still visually good enough) .

I got used to those cartoony look and characters after a while and saw that Pine had indeed some potential as after finding a tribe of bizarro lizards people and bribing them into getting neutral (oh yes, every animal people tribes hate you for some reason, maybe explained in the game later, you will need to find a donation shrine and donate their prefered items you gather in order to get them to become neutral and at most even friendly), i could explore their village and observe after some talk to their leader and merchant that their fellow tribe members were busy walking around, getting out of their village and going to gather their town required material and foods then coming back for the delivery.

Interesting for now. After trying to follow some quest chain, i ran into some giant mammoth man (i thought about DF when i saw that guy :) )  that allowed me to increase my inventory size so i could gather more stuff , then went back into the world.

Some combat were going on in the regions i travelled, i noticed that even after finding some more protections that my character can die really fast while every enemies are able to take a lot of punishment, wouldn't be a problem if the combat system wasn't that clunky, maybe i'm not used to it enough but there's a cluncky feel to the controls when fighting (at least you can camera lock the nearest opponent , it helps with the controls) .
The interesting stuff is that due to the tribes relations, you can easily run into a fight that devolve into some free for all melee as there are patrols and gatherers working around their territory borders.

At some point in the desert i was fighting some kind of electrical gecko (a monster, not an animal people) when some kind of cat guy or gal (i'm not sure to be honest) that ran to location  and started to throw bombs making things a bit hilarious :D
Then some kind of funny looking turkey guy or gal rushed in and attacked everyone.

Managed to run away while everyone else was duking it out.

Oh and a word about dying : really try your best to avoid dying, not because the consequence (in Pine it does not matter as you lose nothing of your progress).
But because dying does lead you into a long full minute long of loading time again for whatever reason, running away is a much better outcome :D

So as a conclusion for what i played there's potential, but there is really a need for optimisation (i haven't run yet into all those other bugs i saw reported) , i wish the game was less cartoony.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:15:27 am by Robsoie »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 13, 2021, 08:22:03 am »

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces, we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!

Our soldiers are prepared for any alien threats
The navy launches ships, the air force send their jets
And nothing can withstand our fixed bayonets
The EDF deploys!

Our forces have now dwindled and we pull back to regroup
The enemy has multiplied and formed a massive group
We better beat these bugs before we're all turned to soup
The EDF deploys!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 13, 2021, 10:42:58 am »

Lego: X-COM?
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 13, 2021, 02:34:56 pm »

Superficially on both counts, I guess.

I really doubt you'll be building anything so it's maybe a bit more like Voxel Turf where the voxels are a vehicle for allowing more localized destructible environments - knocking parts of buildings down as opposed to the entire traditional model, for instance.

And it's a single/multiplayer third person shooter. Gameplay looks like it'll be pretty well identical to past EDF games.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 13, 2021, 04:18:43 pm »

EDF is one of those game series that you play primarily for the experience of a distinct and pronounced style. The combat and progression grind are just barely decent enough to keep you engaged through it all, but mostly you're there to feel like you're living an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, where the dialogue and plot are so bad that it's actually funny.

Day 1 purchase for me.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 13, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »

I only play for the EDF!! EDF!! EDF!!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 14, 2021, 12:23:26 am »

Well, I did like Starcrawlers a bit, regardless of its flaws, so I'm going to opt in and see if I can get a taste of Chimera.

Impressions: turn-based combat was a bit odd balance-wise, but it didn't help that the only full run of a level I did dropped an orange 2h sword in the first room and I just obliterated everything I faced off against. It's all cardinal direction movement, but with free gaze, so you can end up with the disorienting thing where you're facing diagonal to how you're moving. Itemization was not great - as the legendary drop in the first room indicated, it was way too random, but that may well be an artifact of it being a 1-level demo. That also applies to the general lack of variety WRT enemies. I'd broadly compare the itemization to StarCrawlers itemization, and not in a complementary way - items tended to be sidegrades more often than upgrades, and after 3 or 4 sidegrades, you might end up lower than where you started b/c you're juggling semi-random collocations of attributes. Still, that was definitely a result of there only being one level, so it's not fair to conclude that'll reflect the final product. The character leveling is wonky - no classes, just skill trees. Pick 6 at the start and boost those as you level. It's okay - feels less MMO-y than SC did, but it also feels a lot more generic.

Overall, I give it a hard "maybe". I really don't know. I loved StarCrawlers to bits, and there's some of the same charm, but those elements don't translate well. To fall back on the Dungeon Hack comparison, I played A TON of DH back in the day... but I don't have any desire to play it now even though I'd not mind playing through Eye of the Beholder one more time...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 14, 2021, 05:13:48 am »

Open roller coaster tycoon 2 saved my day yesterday. I want to go back to isometric world, the realization that I have nothing but empty threats to maintain order at my workplace reverted me back to burned out scary quick. I cant look at people RN.

Just import rct1 scenarios and its the perfect RCT in
let

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 15, 2021, 08:32:30 pm »

-Detailed explanation of features good and bad-

Yeah, I'm afraid I have to say the same thing - only I'm not feeling a 'maybe' so much as a 'no'.

Perhaps it's just 'cause it's early access, the first floor, and I was on Normal, but everything felt super easy to kill.

And, yes, things in general just... felt very generic. Again, this might change as things get more fleshed out in development, but for now...?

I dunno.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 17, 2021, 11:24:18 am »

is a fun and relaxing little exploration game where you wander across an archipelago as a cat. There are plenty of secrets for the inquisitive to discover. I think I've discovered pretty much everything there is to find on my own. There is a little ending thing you can discover, and if you explore until you find a friend, you can get the good ending as well. :)

Anyway, think people would enjoy playing it as a ~10-20 min experience. I ended up making a map of the surface world as I was trying to determine if I might have missed anything. I might still have missed an island somewhere, but probably not? (Please do tell me if you found something on the surface that isn't on the map!) Sort of a spoiler if you actually wanted to play the game.  :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:13:18 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 174