Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How to fix the country thread discussion: USA  (Read 5766 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix the country thread discussion: USA
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2015, 12:58:42 am »

Edit: it was too broken.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:00:23 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2015, 01:31:58 am »

dropping the superflous "u" from color was a good start

As a Canadian, I respectfully disagree. Adding "u"s to semi-random words adds flavour.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:50 am »

Look, isp, all I want to do is burn down the swamp and sink it into a bigger swamp. Other people will be appointed to handle the micromanagement, while I oversee ending florida as a physically coherent entity. I win, the world wins, anyone who cared about florida can get the psychiatric help they have long needed as part of the relocation process. Everyone wins! The dictatorship part is just because it'd take the resources of a major power to pull the project off. The interim would indeed be stressful, but think of how much better off the world would be without florida. That's worth the trouble.

What makes you hate Florida so much?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2015, 08:21:37 am »

Some kind of spelling reform would also be handy. Noah Webster's changes to the language in the 1800's were a hood start, but they don't go far enough; dropping the superflous "u" from color was a good start, but the should have changed the second "o" to an "e" while he was at it. The new spellings would be purely phonetic and to ensure this would chosen by a panel of poorly educated rednecks who know what sounds the letters make but are both unversed in many of the current spellings and more importantly completely ignorant of (and possibly hostile to) any foreign language, especially Latin, Greek, German, and French. Preferably should not be able to define or pronounce the word "etymology"

Ah yes, spelling reform.

http://www.design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Twain_english.html
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2015, 09:23:32 am »

What makes you hate Florida so much?
I live there. It has no redeeming features it wouldn't still have several dozen feet below the ocean surface. Everything about it is misery, from the weather, to the culture, to the terrain, to the location, to the wildlife, to the economy. All of it. The only even remotely decent parts about it are either underground, underwater, or both, and they'd still be there (probably in new and interesting configurations!) if you sunk it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 09:27:37 am »

Good news: Climate change is going to do the job for you.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:49 am »

Yeah, but probably not in my lifetime. At most, I might get to see some of the coastal areas go under. That's not enough. It all has to go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:51 am »

You never know, someone may invent prolong. We won't be able to afford it, though. :(

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »

You should also consider removing superfluous words that offer too much room for interpretation.
Yeah, exactly! Why do we need 'good' and 'bad' if one is clearly just the inverse of the other? 'Ungood' is perfectly sufficient.

Ah yes, spelling reform.

http://www.design.caltech.edu/erik/Misc/Twain_english.html
Heh, English speakers shouldn't complain: You guys only have weird spelling. Look at what Twain wrote about German. (This was actually linked by the US embassy in Germany.)

Anyway, if we're already on the topic of language, I'd like to highly recommend this essay by Eric Arthur Blair.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 01:12:02 pm »

Ooooh. This looks like fun.

• First order of business: Remove a zero or two from the military budget. Order all troops to come home. Gradually phase out military presence as a whole.
  • Second order of business: Completely gut the education system and rebuild a new one from scratch, one that actually has legitimate scientific study backing its theories.
  • Third order of business: Officially declare the KKK and similar supremest groups as domestic terrorist organizations.
  • Fourth order of business: Rework copyright laws to protect individuals rather than corporations. DRM and similar consumer restriction practices will lose most of their influence.
  • Fifth order of business: More gun control.
  • Sixth order of business: Stop the U.S jerking itself off like its some long lost holy land. This kind of nationalistic masturbation is unhealthy.
  • Seventh order of business: Further separation of church and state. There's not nearly enough if politicians are flinging Bible quotes at each other; stupid Republicans.
  • Eighth order of business: Encourage people to aid homeless individuals.
All I have so far.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »

Nationalism is helpful with integrating immigrants, in theory, and assuming they can obtain citizenship and so on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 02:03:51 pm »

• Seventh order of business: Further separation of church and state. There's not nearly enough if politicians are flinging Bible quotes at each other; stupid Republicans.
That's not quite how separation of Church and State works: As a concept it applies to the institutions, not the individual people. What you're getting at is infringing heavily on freedom of speech, (political) expression, and indeed on the idea of the state as a secular, i.e. blind-to-religion, institution.

Not that I don't support reducing the influence of religion on politics in the US, but you're contextualizing it wrong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2015, 03:38:39 pm »

Fourth order of business: Rework copyright laws to protect individuals rather than corporations. DRM and similar consumer restriction practices will lose most of their influence.

Have intelligence agencies crack DRM methods as practice during peacetime.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2015, 03:47:00 pm »

Not very useful practice.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »

Everyone needs an excuse to play pirated videogames at work. :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6