Mild influenza
Food poisoning
Influenza
Dysentery
Influenza whilst immune compromised
Ebola
Spanish flu

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Post anti-biotic world  (Read 16807 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Post anti-biotic world
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2015, 08:45:45 am »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16766878 <-- nih.gov "National Institude of Health dot gov"

That's Pubmed, it's just an index of publication maitained by the NIH. That doesn't mean the stuff posted on it comes from the NIH. That's like me citing a petition on whitehouse.gov and then claiming it's a government source.

Sounds like the method they're using requires that the nanobots be built to target specific biomarkers, so using them as general antimicrobial agents might not be on the table just yet. But if you can identify what you want to kill from a sample, producing a bot to kill that thing on a case by case basis might be an option.

Those bots can recognize a biomarker and then "open" to deliver a payload. You're still going to need an agent to kill the bacteria. Plus, if you can engineer a protein to selectively recognize a target, you might as well use phage.

This being said, I'd just like to point out that whenever you have questions about the efficacy of a treatment (let's say, colloidal silver, or a drug), probably the single best source out there is the Cochrane Collaboration. They take raw data from good-quality trials and perform meta-analysis to get to the truth. Sadly, the fact that they only take gold standard data means that they sometimes don't have report on everything.

On silver, here are a few of their conclusions for topical applications:

Topical silver for preventing wound infection
There is insufficient evidence to establish whether silver-containing dressings or topical agents promote wound healing or prevent wound infection; some poor quality evidence for SSD suggests the opposite.

Topical silver for treating infected wounds
The data from these trials show that silver-containing foam dressings did not significantly increase complete ulcer healing as compared with standard foam dressings or best local practice after up to four weeks of follow-up,

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2015, 06:15:28 pm »

But studies don't matter, because as it turns out, placebo is a property of quantum mechanics, so if you take any measurements you break the magic. That's why alternative medicine always fails under scrutiny, because statistical observation *collapses* anecdotes into a coherent probabilistic distribution rather than reinforce the user's bias

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2015, 06:23:01 pm »

For that matter, the world's most successful people don't rely on science for their actions because they have completely detached from empiricism to their own self-enforcing quantum field. That is why to accomplish great things you need to just pick your own subjective truth and ignore all contravening evidence so that you can operate outside the base-state universe and tap into your own reality, or "protagonist force".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2015, 06:38:23 pm »

That's Pubmed, it's just an index of publication maitained by the NIH. That doesn't mean the stuff posted on it comes from the NIH. That's like me citing a petition on whitehouse.gov and then claiming it's a government source.

No, that's like me citing formal studies by actual researchers and asserting that they carry more weight than some random journalist or guy selling stuff on a homemade website.

Those bots can recognize a biomarker and then "open" to deliver a payload. You're still going to need an agent to kill the bacteria.

Comparitively trivial problem. Personally, I'd suggest looking into vibrating them to death. That way you don't leave loose chemicals floating around and your nanobots aren't limited to a single delivery.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2015, 07:32:58 pm »

But studies don't matter, because as it turns out, placebo is a property of quantum mechanics, so if you take any measurements you break the magic. That's why alternative medicine always fails under scrutiny, because statistical observation *collapses* anecdotes into a coherent probabilistic distribution rather than reinforce the user's bias

For that matter, the world's most successful people don't rely on science for their actions because they have completely detached from empiricism to their own self-enforcing quantum field. That is why to accomplish great things you need to just pick your own subjective truth and ignore all contravening evidence so that you can operate outside the base-state universe and tap into your own reality, or "protagonist force".

This explains why Steve Jobs is still alive. His reality-distortion field was so effective that it enabled the alternative treatments he was taking to completely cure his canc-- oh wait.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »

Clear evidence that Jobs was secretly as euphoric as all the people who buy his shitty products.

Wait, evidence, oh sh-
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2015, 07:58:29 pm »

http://gawker.com/5849543/harvard-cancer-expert-steve-jobs-probably-doomed-himself-with-alternative-medicine

(I had that article ready before I posted that first post, the long delay was just because I got distracted reading unrelated wiki articles)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:00:28 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2015, 08:07:16 pm »

This explains why Steve Jobs is still alive. His reality-distortion field was so effective that it enabled the alternative treatments he was taking to completely cure his canc-- oh wait.
he's still alive, just in a different time-space continuum. besides, *our* steve jobs was fine for years until his condition was observed and the most likely outcome had to manifest in most branches of reality.
preeminent quacks and actual scientists are still debating the implications of wheler's delayed choice experiment, but we might be facing a breakthrough in the fight against causality

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2015, 08:11:09 pm »

Or he always dies on Oct 05, 2011 because of world line convergence. ;)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2015, 10:29:36 pm »

No, that's like me citing formal studies by actual researchers and asserting that they carry more weight than some random journalist or guy selling stuff on a homemade website.
FIY, you're arguing with an ☼actual researcher☼ there. He knows his shit* is what I'm saying.

*And by shit I mean non-shit sources
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:27 pm »

Those bots can recognize a biomarker and then "open" to deliver a payload. You're still going to need an agent to kill the bacteria.

Comparitively trivial problem. Personally, I'd suggest looking into vibrating them to death. That way you don't leave loose chemicals floating around and your nanobots aren't limited to a single delivery.

Vibrating: Descan for antibiotic?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:27 am »

*And by shit I mean non-shit sources

Yeah, I've double checked and I'm not seeing anywhere where he said that pubmed, the CDC or WHO are "shit sources." He says that cochrane.org is better but that they only accept gold standard material, so sometimes they lack data on some things.

Ok, I have no problem with that.

Incidentally, Sheb:

Topical silver for treating infected wounds
The data from these trials show that silver-containing foam dressings did not significantly increase complete ulcer
healing as compared with standard foam dressings or best local practice after up to four weeks of follow-up,

I notice that the section you quoted ends with a comma. Let's look at the entire sentence you're quoting, shall we?

The data from these trials show that silver-containing foam dressings did not significantly increase complete ulcer healing as compared with standard foam dressings or best local practice after up to four weeks of follow-up, although a greater reduction of ulcer size was observed with the silver-containing foam.

In fact, let's look at the entire paragraph:

"The data from these trials show that silver-containing foam dressings did not significantly increase complete ulcer healing as compared with standard foam dressings or best local practice after up to four weeks of follow-up, although a greater reduction of ulcer size was observed with the silver-containing foam. The use of antibiotics was assessed in two trials, but no significant differences were found. Data on pain, patient satisfaction, length of hospital stay, and costs were limited and showed no differences. Leakage occurred significantly less frequently in patients with leg ulcers and chronic wounds treated with a silver dressing than with a standard foam dressing or best local practice in one trial."

Huh. Well, that's interesting. Faster healing and less leakage with the silver wound dressings. But now I'm curious. This is only an executive summary we're looking at. Let's check the full text:

COMPARISON 1: Silver-containing foam dressings compared with hydrocellular foam
One trial (Jørgensen 2005) compared silver-containing foam (Contreet®) with hydrocellular foam (Allevyn®). Wound duration at the start of the trial was similar in both groups (medians 1.1 and 1.0 years, respectively), but ranged substantially (from 0.1 to 32 years). Baseline median wound sizes were also similar: 5.9 (range: 1.9-37.4) and 6.8 (range: 2.1-33.8) cm2, respectively.

Primary outcome:

Wound healing
Four different measures of wound healing were used:

the number of ulcers healed completely (within the four-week trial period);
the mean and median ulcer area in cm2;
the mean and median relative reduction in ulcer area in %, calculated as the median of each patients' wound size reduction; and
the number of ulcers not responding to the treatment and increasing in size.
Assessments of healing were made after one, two, three and four weeks of treatment. There was no significant difference in rates of complete healing; five ulcers out of 65 patients (8%) treated with Contreet® and five out of 64 (8%) treated with Allevyn® healed completely during the trial period (RD: 0.00; 95% CI: -0.09 to 0.09) ( Analysis 1.4).
The median ulcer area after four weeks of treatment was not significantly smaller in the Contreet® group (3.0 cm2; range: 0.0-35.9) than the Allevyn® group (4.5 cm2; range: 0.0-33.6). The WMD was -0.30 cm2 (95% CI: -2.92 to 2.35) ( Analysis 1.5).
The median relative reduction in ulcer area after four weeks of treatment, was significantly (P=0.034) greater in the Contreet® group (54.8% of the original size, i.e. 45.2% reduction) than the Allevyn® group (74.6% of original size, i.e. 25.4% reduction). The WMD was -15.70 cm2 (95%CI: -29.5 to -1.90). ( Analysis 1.6).
Nine of 65 (14%) of the ulcers in the Contreet® group, and 16 of the 64 (25%) in the Allevyn® group did not respond to the treatment and increased in size (RD: -0.11; 95% CI: -0.25 to 0.02) ( Analysis 1.7).
In summary, although relative wound size reduction was significantly quicker in the Contreet group, there was no significant difference in rates of complete wound healing after four weeks.

Fascinating!

Fascinating for multiple reasons, in fact. They're comparing two difference foams. One containing silver, and one not containing silver. They are not comparing a silver test group to an empty control group. This mean that, even if there were no difference in the results, that would mean that the silver foam was as good as the other wound dressing.

But in fact, they not only concluded that the the silver foam was as good as, they concluded that wound size reduction was, quote "significantly quicker" with the foam containing silver.

How about that!

But, they note that despite the fact that healing was much faster for the silver group, the ratio of people in each group who had "completely healed" at the end of four weeks was the same. And that's the part that you quoted from the summary. *shrug* ok. Nevertheless, the study concluded that the wounds treated with dressings containing silver healed faster and leaked less.

COMPARISON 2: Silver containing alginate compared with alginate
One trial (Meaume 2005) compared silver containing alginate (Silvercel®) with alginate alone (Algosteril®). At baseline the silver group differed from the comparison group. Significantly fewer patients in the silver group were aged 80 years or over (21% compared with 52% in the alginate group), significantly more patients had diabetes (33% versus 12%) and their wounds tended to be larger in size at baseline (39.1 cm2 versus 23.9 cm2 ) and of longer duration (32.6 versus 18.3 months). In the analysis the difference in wound size was compensated for by subtracting the baseline values. The remaining characteristics did not differ between the groups.

Primary outcome:

Wound healing
Four different measures of wound healing were used:

the number of ulcers healed completely (within the four-week trial period);
the absolute wound area decrease (within the four-week trial period);
relative wound area decrease (within the four-week trial period); and
healing rate measured as cm2 per day at 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks, and for the total four-week trial period.
For the first three measurements no statistically significant differences were found.

At the end of the four-week trial period 1 ulcer healed in both groups; 1/51 versus 1/48 (risk difference 0.00; 95% confidence interval -0.06 to 0.05)( Analysis 2.1).
The mean absolute reduction in wound area in the silver containing alginate group was 8.9 (16.0)cm2 versus 4.4 (11.3) cm2 in the alginate group (weighted mean difference 4.50 cm2; 95% confidence interval -0.93 to 9.93)( Analysis 2.2) .
Within the four-week trial period the relative wound area decreased in the silver containing group by 23.7% and in the alginate group by 24.0% (weighted mean difference -0.30 cm2; 95% confidence interval -17.08 to 16.48)( Analysis 2.3).
The wound healing rate in cm2 per day at week 1; was -0.79 for the silver containing alginate group versus -0.37 in the alginate group, at week two -0.55 versus -0.23, at week three -0.14 versus -0.14, at week four -0.52 versus -0.16, and for the complete four-week trial period -0.32 versus -0.16 (Analysis 02:4-08). For the fourth measurement Meaume 2005 reported a statistically significant difference of P=0.024. We calculated the weighted mean difference of 0.16 cm2; 95% with a confidence interval of -0.03 to 0.35 ( Analysis 2.8) which indicates only a small treatment effect.

Also fascinating!

The amount the wounds has reduced in size after four weeks was double in the silver group. But, unfortunately, we need to dismiss this case, because the original sample groups were significantly different. Yes, the silver showed better results...but in this case it's not necessarily meaningful that it showed better results, because the silver wounds were larger and on younger people. Ok, we have to dismiss this one as insufficiently rigorous. That's reasonable.

COMPARISON 3: Silver-containing foam compared with best local practice
One trial (Münter 2006) compared Contreet® with best local practice, i.e. a range of dressings: foams & alginates (53%), hydrocolloids (12%), gauze (3%), silver dressings (17%), other antimicrobial dressings (9%) or other active dressings (6%).

Wound aetiologies were similarly distributed in both groups. Baseline wound sizes in the Contreet and local best practice groups were reported (medians: 20.0 cm2 and 12.0 cm2, and means: 52.9 cm2 and 36.6 cm2, respectively), although variation was high (from 0.1 to 700 cm2 and from 0.1 to 400 cm2, respectively). Exudate levels at baseline in the Contreet® and best practice groups were 'moderate' (three-level rating scale) and the condition of the peri-ulcer skin was normal in 24.3% and 24.0%, respectively. Quality of life scores were similar at baseline.

Primary outcome:

Wound healing
This was expressed as the median relative reduction in ulcer area in %.

The median relative reduction in ulcer area after four weeks of treatment was 50% in the Contreet® group, and 34% in the best local practice group, it should be noted that this result is against the direction of baseline bias. Analysis of the results at the final visit whilst carrying forward the last observation, showed a difference of 47% compared with 32% in favour of Contreet®, which was statistically significant (P=0.0019). In subgroups of venous leg ulcers and pressure ulcers the results as to ulcer area reduction were similar. Trialists did not report how many patients had final endpoint data and how many required that data from the last observation was carried forward.

In summary, relative wound size reduction was significantly quicker in the Contreet group. However, this outcome parameter was used as an unblinded, surrogate endpoint for wound healing.

Once again, fascinating!

After four weeks, the group with silver showed wound reduction of 50%, compared to the not-silver group which only showed 34% wound reduction. And as of final visit, wound reduction carrying previous results forward showed wound reduction with the silver group at 46% compared to 32% in the not-silver group.

Silver wins!

However, there was an..."unblinded surrogate endpoint." Huh. Ok, had to look that up. Sounds to me like in plain English, they were specifically looking for results from silver and stopped the study when they got that result rather than continuing to evaluate over greater time.

...ok. That does sound like silver probably performed better, but I guess if we're going for our "gold standard" we have to dismiss this one too.

Final results: Three sets of data. All three showed superior performance from silver, but two of them had to be disqualified because the studies were insufficiently rigorous. One of the three was sufficiently rigorous, and it did show positive results from silver. But one study is not enough data to come to a definite conclusion.

And here is the part out of all this that you quoted:

The data from these trials show that silver-containing foam dressings did not significantly increase complete ulcer healing as compared with standard foam dressings or best local practice after up to four weeks of follow-up,

I think it's completely reasonable that you didn't go digging through the entire study. No problem. But yeah...quoting only half of a sentence and leaving out the other half of the sentence that supports my position...that was poor form. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt that you were simply in a hurry.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2015, 03:48:55 am »

Chill wev known silver is antibiotic for ages, we are only now coming out of the age of ignorance, science is great  but ignorant as it only recognises after intense study.
I make silver tonic for flesh wounds and I havnt ever got an infection, i eat high vit c fruit every day, I exercise and sleep well, I get sick once/twice a season I have only needed antibiotics once in my life but I probably didnt need them (lung infection) if anything im an example of what helps stay healthy but science wont recognise it until a few tests.
These things have always been known and wont be forgotten. So what antibiotics dont work?! Its not like our bodys arnt equipped for defence.
Sorry to all the people who are sickly and cant help it.
Im sure we could stop bacteria chemicaly 'comunicating' and stop the symtoms just wait a few decades and eat some fruit
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2015, 04:23:21 am »

science is great  but ignorant as it only recognises after intense study.
As opposed to the opposite..?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:44 am »

science is great  but ignorant as it only recognises after intense study.
As opposed to the opposite..?

It is basically a "The scientific method is great, but slow"

Which is fair, though I'd say far better then the alternative.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11