Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pigsodus trailer  (Read 1309 times)

kokoszka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pigsodus trailer
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:27:22 am »

Hey!

Check out our new trailer and let us know if you like it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pSYFcl3Vok

Have a gameplay screenshot as well (no UI yet sorry) :

You can follow our developement on our blog : http://pigsodus.com/blog/. We post updates every week!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pigsodus trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:32:20 am »

Holy crap, that trailer is incredibly cringy. The jokes fall completely flat.
Also, couldn't you have reused the old thread you made?

kokoszka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:52:13 am »

I love this forum, always best feedback here (not sarcasm).

What would you change? Could you elaborate? Jokes are in a certain convention. If you like monkey island and dialogues are still shit, than we're in trouble :).

Reusing old threads is a practice that is frowned upon in many places of the internet so I didn't do it here.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »

kinda reminds me of robot chicken intro

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

I dunno, I kinda liked it. As long as it fits the tone of the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 07:27:43 pm »

Not knowing anything about your game, your intent.....

When the swearing started, it was really jarring. Like, the kind of stuff I expect to read in Youtube comments. Like a kid trying to sound hard as nails by dropping swear words all over the place. Not what you expect to see in a game trailer. Whether it works or not, the dialog came across as very juvenile. You could honestly drop 90% of the foul language and the trailer would be better for it, would actually be more effective. I get you're going for a like a Reservoir Dogs/Quentin Tarantino sort of scene. It just doesn't really work for me as you've executed it.

It's not that I hate swearing or anything, I fucking love it. It's just so overused and poorly executed in your trailer, it actually becomes a distraction.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:34:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 08:14:11 pm »

Bumping and editing (not very) old threads for new content on the same subject is fine. Starting a new thread is also fine.

The very opening parts were nice and atmospheric.

The talking noises were pretty terrible. They weren't uniform enough to sound like generic "beep beep beep" style talknoise, nor complex enough to sound like a foreign language, so they just kind of come off as babbling into a mic. On that note, something about them felt very... unprofessional. It's hard to describe, but it felt really obvious that someone was talking into a mic to make them, if that makes sense.

On that note, the pig-talking sounded much better, probably because it was short and homogenous enough to sound like generic oinkspeak.

I'm not familiar with Monkey's Island, but I didn't mind the swearing. It did come across as juvenile, largely because it was repetitive and generic, but it didn't strike me as especially poor writing. That said, I'm not sure what it tells us about the chicken's character. The farmer or whoever he is came across as kind of a generic villain by following the usual "Looks like I've got you not so tough any more, wait damn it still tough, fine I'll torture you a bunch" route.

The chicken... well, we know he's not a snitch, but his insults didn't flow well enough to bring him out as tough, per se, so we're left with sort of a "not going to back down but also foul-mouthed and uninventive" thing. I'm not sure if that's intentional or if I'm missing the desired vibe.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 09:19:53 pm »

Maybe add a poll for whether there's too much swearing. Personally I'd have to agree that it's excessive and sounds juvenile.

I think the art, animation, audio, etc is quite good though, despite not generally liking retro pixel aesthetics. If you decide the dialogue's a problem, it's obviously very minor to change, since it's just the subtitles and maybe some editing around of shots. If you're looking to get feedback on an iteration, you don't even have to make a new video, just showing the "script" would work.

If I were writing it, I'd go for the generic interrogation played straight, but interrupt it by making light of the fact that it's a grown man interrogating a talking goose in his barn, and keep the swearing limited to where it's timed for decent effect. If the actual game has writing that's that chock full of swearing, misrepresenting it in the trailer may not be a good idea, though.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »

let us know if you like it :

I liked the first eight seconds. From 1:24 to 1:42 was acceptable. The lightning effect near the end was nice. The visuals are unimpressive, but acceptable. The visual transition during the spoon torture sequence was well done.

The dialogue and voice-noises were so horrible that I wouldn't download your game. For context: I played I Have Candy get in the Van through multiple endings. I beat Space Quest 1. I even beat Madam Fifi's Whorehouse Adventure.

Even as somebody who's played all of those game through to their end, based on your video...I would not play your game.

What would you change? Could you elaborate? Jokes are in a certain convention. If you like monkey island and dialogues are still shit, than we're in trouble :).

The swearing was juvinile. The jokes weren't funny. Some of the dialogue was questionable. The voice effects were unpleasant. The video can be salvaged. The lightning and background music is fine.

I recommend that the script and dialogue effects be completely scrapped and rewritten.

EDIT:
Also, remember in the previous thread how a bunch of people warned you to not to make the game a preachy strawman sermon? Yeah, this whole video oozes that vibe.

kokoszka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:28:01 am »

Whoa, thank you guys.

We'll reiterate the dialogues, we'll try voice-over and we'll get back to you. I really appreciate your feedback, and we got more or less same signals in other forums/sites.

Also, remember in the previous thread how a bunch of people warned you to not to make the game a preachy strawman sermon? Yeah, this whole video oozes that vibe.

Are you sure your prior knowledge does not influence this opinion? I made a poll elsewhere asking whether we are preachy - and got 0 out of 34.

Also I want to let you know how much we appreciate it so if you had given your feedback here shoot us an email at helpthepigs@pigsodus.com and we'll gift you an old adventure game from GoG.com.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 06:35:10 am »

Are you sure your prior knowledge does not influence this opinion?

Do you not find the premise of a slaughterhouse worker torturing information out of a chicken to recover an escaped pig slightly ridiculous? If you want to claim that they're casually abusive to animals, ok, I can believe that. But tying one to a chair to insult it and torture it with a spoon? Your story premise appears to involve demonizing these people by depicting them doing things that are not believably things they would do.

For example: "Politicians are bad because they eat babies." Does that statement make you dislike politicians, or do you immediately react by seeing it as ridiculous and therefore unconvincing? Do you really want to engage in an unconvincing characterization? Your premise is telling me that your story is fantasy that is not to be taken seriously. Is that what you want?

Unrelated, to make the joke work, shouldn't that chicken be a rooster? It's clearly female, but he's calling her a cock.