Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258653 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Precipice of Revelation
« Reply #2265 on: August 09, 2017, 11:13:04 am »

Daniels carefully puts Linda down and considers Peaks' request. "Describe to me what breakthrough you're close to making," he decides. "Don't mince words at first, I'll tell you if you need to present it simpler. I'm not opposed, but I would like to know more about myself if at all possible." Plus the last time someone asked me for some flesh I ended up practically made out of paper maché, and I'd rather avoid that ever happening again.

Hold on now, what wonderful science are you discovering with my flesh?

((As an aside, I'm fairly sure I'll have internet where I'm going for the next few days, but if I do miss a few turns I think it can be safely assumed that I'll keep training with Shores and interacting with whoever's nearby in whatever breaks happen to be there.))

The breakthrough? Put simply, you know how you essentially have unlimited strength (well, limited by you being lighter than whatever you're exerting it against, theoretically)? It might be possible to extend that to other parameters to help correct for that, she'll need to experiment a little bit with more of your bits before she can say for sure. Or a lot more, if you're ready to give that much up. Would be handy to, say, work with the complete arm or leg, but she understands that you might have other plans for your limbs so she figured she'd compromise and just ask for non-essential parts first. Experiment a little bit, you know, see if she can't reprogram some relevant bits with liberal application of select chemicals.

Anyway, time's a-wastin', Peaks says, waving the carving knife impatiently. You got any flesh to spare at the moment or should she come back later?

Great. I've bought myself, what, a few seconds?
Is there anything in reach that I might be able to cut the web with? A sharp cobble or something? I knew I'd need a knife at some point.

[Fun With Sharp Objects: 6]

As luck would have it, a hollowed stag beetle happens to be passing at that exact moment and pauses before the web you've landed in, knowing better than to walk right into it - you grab it and begin sawing madly at the web strands, and find that you're doing rather well at getting yourself free, shearing a good chunk of the thick web strands off as start getting yourself back to your feet.

The stag beetle, however, seems to have taken a great deal of offense at your handling of it, and wastes no time in starting to saw into your hand in retaliation and begins to crawl up your arm.

[Blinded By The Light: 6]

The spider, for its part, appears to not be regaining its eyesight any time soon, and has begun crawling up the nearby wall, kicking every which way as it blinks very rapidly and shakes its cephalothorax. The hissed profanities pouring out of its mouth aren't getting any milder.

"Yeah, my first time as well."

Adopt Moth mentality and make no commitment. Keeping chatting simple and short. Not really my type of behaviour, but Moths are my people now.
Probe minds of these Monkeys very, very carefully. Their intentions, feelings, attitudes, opinions, and compare them to Moths. Is there potential converts?

Oh, and return Elder's pigstick. I got Spear of Apocalypse after all.

[Do the Monkey: 5+1]

You scan the Monkeys as a group and find, unsurprisingly, that their chief impulse seems to be that of consuming greed - specifically a burning desire to own everything they see or find, particularly things that someone else finds valuable. Whereas Moths are skulkers by nature, the Monkeys are born and bred thieves and respect shrewdness and opulence. The latter may possibly prove a good vector for inoculating them with a fondness for lavish parties, and they are indeed familiar with the concept of inviting a lot of people over to drink heavily with, share stories of adventures had and famous legends.

Of course, what you feel you can expect from a Monkey at a party is that they'll drink markedly less than most, act drunker than a sizable portion of the others, and then most of the other guests will find themselves short a few possessions when the sun rises.

While considering this you chat with Dell noncommittally and exchange a few pleasantries, but nothing meaningful is exchanged between you (though you spot her eying your pigsticker as you pass it back to the elder in the middle of the crowd). As you close ranks with the rest of the Moths and keep a close watch for the other clan trying anything, they start to quickly lose interest and break off from you in favor of bothering an enormous contingent of gray-faced Goats instead, who are a much more trusting tribe on balance, which they compensate with not having anything of actual value.

At your current pace, however, it is not long before you reach the gates of Elizabeth - it's not a very big city, all things considered, perhaps large enough to host twenty thousand at most, but it is certainly ancient and alien to no small degree. Its walls are stupendously tall and covered in elaborate reliefs of faceless people in a wide variety of positions and activities, immaculately carved along the entire length of the walls. A few gray figures with no humanoid features mill about, waving at your group as you approach - a few others have signs like "GOAT CLAN" or "MONKEYS THIS WAY" designating particular entrances and guides.

The gates are many in number and placed as if the maker was not terribly concerned about security - which makes sense, you suppose, considering how you can sense the mind of the maker behind every guide and stone, subtly guiding every element with seeming unity.

As Elizabeth notices your group, the gray human-sized manikins swarm in your direction, but mostly on account of curiosity - it is rare that Moths approach in daylight. Unprecedented, even. She had quarters prepared for you in the catacombs - has there been a change of tastes? This wasn't planned for at all!

Thomas nodded.  "Some odd fellow lives down there.  Clearly nuts, but seemed harmless enough.  Evey's a friend of his; she's hanging out with us for a bit.
  But sure, yes, let's grab Gamble and get with the others.

Grab Gamble and get with the others.

Your mind reaches for something vaguely Gamble-shaped in your perception, but finds nothing there. You look down the hole, but there's nobody there - or at least nobody who would care to answer.

Silver looks at you in confusion - who's Gamble? The fellow you met down in the hole?

I ask around for more details about the incident with the girl who died. If my questions seem to be upsetting people, I head over to the bar and pour a round of drinks to liven everyone's spirits.

[Efficient Questioning: 1, 1]

The musician is already helping herself to the drinks. The innkeeper is drunk and quietly suffering at the hearth, cursing their terrible luck. The two remaining patrons seem merely inhospitable at first, but turn out to be instead veritably petrified with some unnamed fear. The woman looks right through you (and Oggie, who less than helpfully looms over everybody as you go to ask them questions) and seems to be slowly shaking the stoatman next to her, who makes no response and stares down at his feet.

None of them pay you any attention or acknowledge your presence, and it doesn't take you very long to figure that this isn't just because they're terribly rude. Something is wrong with them - the room itself seems tainted with lingering dread, rooting these poor folk to their spots as they're stuck in fearful reveries.

[Side Investigation: 4]

The doctor, of course, finds all of this very curious as she pokes around in her own sort of way - literally, actually, as she tests the assembled folk for any response to prodding and finds very little - indeed, she says, these people seem spellbound in some manner of routine. And they probably haven't been like this for very long, which would imply that the fear that grips them is the sort that mutates and changes over time. Most interesting!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:18 pm »

Grab the beetle with my other hand, preferably in a manner in which it can't hit me with anything dangerous, and keep sawing myself free.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 09, 2017, 12:56:50 pm »

Better let Elder handle communications since I'm a newcomer here. If he's not up for it, then explanation goes in way of "scary shit went down in tunnels, and good party afterwards made sun more tolerable".

Yeah, Monkeys are banned from Jehwlheimr, don't want thieves in there. What about other clans in vicinity?

Also, feel up Elizabeth's mind extremely carefully, courteously, and definitely non-sexually. Measure our difference, what kind of gal is she? If she notices my moves, greet silently and ask directions to The Grave of Red Clouds Parting. Actually ask directions in any case.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:54 pm »

Daniels' eyebrows rise in recognition. That was quite a gift the alchemist was hoping to accomplish.

"How much do you need?"

Figuring out how to jailbreak my flesh? Hell yeah I'll give you some samples, just don't take too much from any one place.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »

((Oh dear.  Poor Gamble.))

Thomas blinked.  "No, silly.  Gamble, bearded fellow, was the first in your group I ran in to, was wearing the insurance contracts for a bit?  Don't be silly,
 let's go on out."

Go out to the others, with or without Gamble.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »

Well these guys are hardly helpful. "Let's see if we can get any of them to snap out of this."

I try various means of waking the patrons up: shaking them, throwing a drink in one's face, tickling them, etc. I encourage Oggie and the doctor to try out any ideas they have, as long as they don't seem likely to injure the patrons or further terrify them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:12 pm »

Grab the beetle with my other hand, preferably in a manner in which it can't hit me with anything dangerous, and keep sawing myself free.

[Still Got My Other Hand: 1]

The beetle is ready for you this time and with a mighty sweep of its sharp carapace takes one of your fingers clean off, grabbing the severed bit in its mandibles and skittering off into the dark with it before you've recovered, leaving you there bleeding and still stuck to the web by your feet.

In addition, the commotion you've stirred up down here is attracting several curious eyes - an ornery street sweeper glares down at you from a catwalk above, as does a fairly sharp-looking guardsperson, though neither of them seem very keen on offering you any bloody help from the looks of it.

Better let Elder handle communications since I'm a newcomer here. If he's not up for it, then explanation goes in way of "scary shit went down in tunnels, and good party afterwards made sun more tolerable".

Yeah, Monkeys are banned from Jehwlheimr, don't want thieves in there. What about other clans in vicinity?

Also, feel up Elizabeth's mind extremely carefully, courteously, and definitely non-sexually. Measure our difference, what kind of gal is she? If she notices my moves, greet silently and ask directions to The Grave of Red Clouds Parting. Actually ask directions in any case.

The gray manikins prove sufficiently inquisitive and distracting to amuse you all well enough for the coming minutes as Elizabeth reconfigures herself to permit you proper entrance worthy of a clansmeet, and the elder is most eager to explain the unlikely set of adventures that led you all the way here!

[Preparations for the Meet: 2]

As for other clans, the Goats appear entirely occupied by the Monkeys robbing them blind for sport (not that they particularly mind, being easygoing sorts about that kind of thing) and no others appear to have approached this particular way into the city. You leave them to it and instead turn to the city herself.

[Pleased to Make Your Acquaintance: 3+1]

You can speak to Elizabeth a little more directly than most - her mind is vast and compartmentalized to the point where you doubt you could attract her full attention and reasoning ability, and in any case she seems to be quite busy presently and, while curious about the fact that a minder has somehow found his way into the Moth clan, appears to have greater concerns at the moment.

Such as opening the way, for instance - the gates finally open for the Moths and let all of you into Elizabeth's splendid passages. She is a fine city indeed, built in the finest traditions of ancient El, beautiful when she was born and having only aged gracefully since, free of human life or adherence to a set layout, shifting her districts and buildings around along the years as she sees fit. The city is alive, but currently silent save for some distant voices - other clans, also here for the meet. Most of them seem to have arrived well ahead of you.

The Moths are guided by an entourage of manikins along Elizabeth's shining peaks and bountiful curves, finding your way into her darker places, in your particular case a fittingly complex labyrinth of bizarrely masterwork slums, constructed by a hand familiar with the idea of squalor but too overcome by aesthetic concerns to fully commit to its principles. It is a building that could easily fit a thousand people, rich in alcoves and corridors and cubbyholes and more, and lit very artistically with deep shadows for any enterprising Moth to hide in as they please. The elder, as you might imagine, is quite thankful for such a well-made abode for the clansmeet.

You on the other hand have other concerns - the grave of Red Clouds Parting, to be exact. So you decide to ask the city herself for assistance.

[Gravespotting: 4]

It's near one of the towers, apparently, but Elizabeth sadly can't inform you where exactly as it does tend to be unfortunately difficult to see around that area. Just walk around until you find a sufficiently tall building and look for an appropriate grave marker. Sounds like a person from El, yes? Probably near one of the towers in that case.

Daniels' eyebrows rise in recognition. That was quite a gift the alchemist was hoping to accomplish.

"How much do you need?"

Figuring out how to jailbreak my flesh? Hell yeah I'll give you some samples, just don't take too much from any one place.

Oh, just a few pounds like she said. Hold on a second, it'll only hurt for a little bit and, well, just think of the potential dividends!

True to her word, Peaks quite deftly begins to slice at you like so much roast beef, carving out around five pounds of mostly muscle out of your arms and legs and also a little bit out of your abdomen. You stand there and try to power through the pain as she then grabs some disinfectant-enriched glue from her toolkit and pours it down your gaping open wounds, then presses them shut to let it set. Tossing the meaty chunks she extracted into a few jars of yellowish solution she's grabbed for the occasion, she is quick to thank you and then run off quite excitedly to engage in whatever terrible experiments she has planned for this veritable wealth of material.

Not long after you step out of the rapidly coagulating puddle of your own blood Shores returns, and looks a little surprised as she looks up from her notes. Oh dear, she says, are you quite all right? Nothing seems likely to burst, is it, that would throw off her estimates quite a bit if that were the case.

Thomas blinked.  "No, silly.  Gamble, bearded fellow, was the first in your group I ran in to, was wearing the insurance contracts for a bit?  Don't be silly,
 let's go on out."

Go out to the others, with or without Gamble.

First of all, Silver is reasonably sure that the first one of his group that you ran into was himself - why, he was absolutely petrified at the time, it's embarrassing to recall. Second of all, why would you wear insurance contracts, that wouldn't even work and it sounds quite disrespectful to the hard work of the functionaries who spent veritable hours drafting all of it up into a usable form.

Eh, says Evey, couldn't have been that important of a person, could he? Otherwise someone'd surely remember.

You then check on the others - still sound asleep near as you can tell, although in the omnipresent dark and terrible chill it is easy to lose track of any one person, to the point where you're tempted to check and re-check again.

[A Good Night's Rest: 4]

This isn't a good place for people to be, all things considered. The terrible conditions should have been indication enough, but here your followers seem to have put up for now. To get them moving you will need to wake them and then convince them to come after you in the middle of the night while having precious little idea of where you're going.

Not that this isn't something that's impossible, Silver is quick to add, just that he'd personally much rather finish getting some rest so that you can go places in the morning. Unless that's, well, something you'd absolutely not like to do under any circumstances, which he hopes they would understand just as well as he does.

Well these guys are hardly helpful. "Let's see if we can get any of them to snap out of this."

I try various means of waking the patrons up: shaking them, throwing a drink in one's face, tickling them, etc. I encourage Oggie and the doctor to try out any ideas they have, as long as they don't seem likely to injure the patrons or further terrify them.

[Warped By Fear: 3, 2]

Oggie cracks her knuckles - she'd love to help you interrogate these stoats. So you spend a few minutes putting their resolve to the test by various means - pouring liquor up their noses, holding them over the fire, shaking them with the sort of monstrous vigor you've come to expect from Oggie, even tickling. Eventually you do manage to get the musician gibbering well enough to discern at least some form of meaning - she speaks of screaming and blood, and of a fear that takes a sudden and terrible shape, seizes your heart and makes it beat so hard that you begin to bleed from your eyes and ears and pain overtakes everything - it's infectious, she feverishly mutters, transmits itself through the screams, you see...

[A Skilled Deduction: 3]

Well, the doctor says, that does certainly sound like some manner of sorcery at play. Far less straightforward than you'd expect of something called a ghoul - usually you would expect a thing like that to, for instance, squat at a graveyard and munch on spare corpses, perhaps, rather than explode hearts and, from the looks of it, claim people's wits in the process.

It's still here, the musician continues to softly proclaim, it's still here, the ghoul walks the street, the ghoul hides in the eaves... can't you feel it too?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: August 11, 2017, 02:11:43 pm »

No, resting here is fine.  Let's do so.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 11, 2017, 02:27:32 pm »

Great. Should have just smashed the thing against the pavement.

Plan B - can I work my way out of these foot wrappings to get myself free?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 11, 2017, 03:06:41 pm »

"I think I should be okay," he says, wriggling experimentally. "Worst comes to worst I pull out my mattress and rest for like ten minutes to heal the wounds. You had some exercises, you were saying?"

Im ready to learn, extracted flesh nonwithstanding! Take a short rest on my water mattress if the extraction turns out to have thrown off Shores' calculations.
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 13, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »

Hm, something that lady said gave me an idea. If the fear is infectious, then it might be curable. That might get rid of the ghoul, or weaken it, or something. The fact that it draws strength from fear is one of the very few things I'm sure about with this situation.

I find an empty liquor bottle, focus on it, and try to fill it with a cure via SYNTHESIS. If it seems like I'm successful, I give a shot of it to one of the afflicted tavern patrons.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:46:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 14, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

No, resting here is fine.  Let's do so.

[Voices in the Night: 5]

Silence and cold reigns as your entire party of travelers snuggles up into a single pile for warmth and safety as against all odds Rabbit traditions come back to the fore - eventually you are informed by Nobody that the sun has risen outside, and everyone breathes a sigh of relief as you can finally get out of this cursed monastery, the morning light doing well at washing the lingering freezing humidity out of your very bones. Most of the party resolves to not sleep in there ever again.

[The Outskirts of Town: 3]

From here it seems that Elizabeth is not far off - Tabernacle has done a little exploring in the area out of sheer lack of anything better to do, and brings mixed news. The good news are that none of the really troubling people appear to have come through this neck of the woods - the cursed monastery and the forbidden ridge have helped you in this.

The far less good news are that Tabernacle is pretty sure he saw a few Treefrogs (helps that Treefrogs don't hide as a rule) off to the northwest, they might come looking around here soonish. Oh boy, Lily can't help but comment, and he left them a convenient trail to follow as well, did he? Tabernacle seems insulted at the notion, but comments no further.

Southwest, Silver wonders? Anything there? More bad news, according to Tabernacle - weird effigies on the ground, wild animals and stuff that've just been gutted and strewn about, very fresh. Shrikes, you hear mutters from the treefishers, very bad people to run into unprepared.

Should just go straight ahead, Helen suggests, dodge the whole bloody lot and make a break for sanctuary. They're all insured, aren't they? Unless that's how you get both Treefrogs and Shrikes, one of the meeker treefishers suggests, which'd be, well... well, it's not something that's fun to think about is all they'll say. Or worse, Dragons see them from the walls and land right on top of them!

A sea of unappealing alternatives of approach stretch before you, but none of them very obviously fatal - there seems to be decreasingly ample cover the closer you get to Elizabeth, as the city herself sits on top of a tall hill that you can make out from here.

Great. Should have just smashed the thing against the pavement.

Plan B - can I work my way out of these foot wrappings to get myself free?

[I Wanna Get Free: 6]

You unravel your foot wrappings and step out of them, leaving them on the web as you start tiptoeing out of the vicinity. Then you unfortunately snag your flowing skirt on another errant strand, and have to get rid of that as well, which would make things perhaps a little too breezy were wind not seemingly outlawed in the Kingdom of the Dead. Then your hands catch on another bit and off come the hand wraps, and finally your tunic sticks to a wall-bound mesh of webbing as you've nearly made it back onto an upward ramp - at last you come away from the web, bare-assed and wearing little except a waistcoat, your helmet and the moth-eaten hat you've put on top of it.

Looking back at the trail of perfectly serviceable clothing you've left behind, you can't help but feel a touch of regret at having gotten into such a sticky situation to begin with.

"I think I should be okay," he says, wriggling experimentally. "Worst comes to worst I pull out my mattress and rest for like ten minutes to heal the wounds. You had some exercises, you were saying?"

Im ready to learn, extracted flesh nonwithstanding! Take a short rest on my water mattress if the extraction turns out to have thrown off Shores' calculations.

You do appear to have lost a lot of blood, Two Shores comments, she would advise you spend ten minutes to recover it. You are in a hurry, but admittedly not in that much of a hurry.

And so you do - the rubber mattress is arranged and navigated into position quite readily (interesting choice for bedding, Shores comments) and you settle down for a nap. And a good thing that you did, as Shores' training regimen does not really waste time and get right down to brass tacks, which is to say she spends the next 24 hours or so guiding you along exercises aimed specifically to shave off precious moments from basically anything related to fighting or movement, especially with regards to your murder-thought, upon which she lavishes special attention.

The key, good sir, is to learn how to apply yourself fully through the weapons at your disposal, Two Shores tells you critically. And the thing that displeases her most about your murder-thought as you call it is that you're moving it through vague orders and eye movements - are you aware that your eyes wander all the time and minutely twitch practically every instant? And thought-operated as well, extremely inefficient given your overall construction. This will need to be fixed, what you require is to seize your murder-thought and use it to-

-hm, she says and raises her chin just a little bit. Her expression twists a little, then she sighs. Excellent training session, she bows respectfully, she could not ask for a better student - seldom do people without extensive modification manage an uninterrupted 24 hour training session. Not that you are not modified, of course, but, well. She sighs again. In El you need to put yourself in immense to obtain a chance at ability like this. Consider yourself lucky for having such good friends.

You must excuse her for a while, however. The captain is calling for her assistance and she may be slightly strapped for time during the day to come. Forgive her for this interruption, she bows with her dress of ribbons flowing around her, sheathing her sword gracefully before gliding away on the deck, and disappearing within the captain's quarters.

Hm, something that lady said gave me an idea. If the fear is infectious, then it might be curable. That might get rid of the ghoul, or weaken it, or something. The fact that it draws strength from fear is one of the very few things I'm sure about with this situation.

I find an empty liquor bottle, focus on it, and try to fill it with a cure via SYNTHESIS. If it seems like I'm successful, I give a shot of it to one of the afflicted tavern patrons.

You lean over the bar and snatch one of the many empty bottles (perhaps there is no small element of alcohol poisoning at play here, you wonder to yourself) and then lift it up demonstratively as you flick your fingers at it and speak the Word of changing.

SYNTHESIS

[Word: 5]

The bar leans back toward you and the drinks arrange themselves before you as you pour in one, then another, muttering all the way as all the room slowly turns to look in your direction - the resulting devilish mix begins to glow and vibrate in your hand, and nearly boil as you sing it into shape and the hall thrums with you. Interrupted from their reveries, the patrons and the innkeeper begin to inch toward you, the burning hum of creation giving rise to equally burning curiosity.

You lift up the bubbling, roiling mix in the bottle triumphantly, and Oggie holds up the musician and forces her mouth open with her brutish fingers as you pour it down her throat, causing her to begin to glow as well. The doctor claps her hands rhythmically and you notice she's been muttering along perfectly, letting out a relieved sigh as the musician falls to the ground and twitches like a fish out of water, her spine contorting as she gasps for air and rolls on the floor, short limbs flailing every which way for a moment before she starts to scream and scream and scream for perhaps a solid minute, her back bending in that perfect 180 turn only possible through the gelatinous flexibility of the stoatfolk form as she finally runs out of air and fear, and goes slack on the floor.

While she doesn't glow anymore, she does look to be smiling, and the room is still bathed in the same sort of golden light your brew was giving off, as if it's somehow soaked into the walls of the place from your bizarre ritual.

The curse, shouts the innkeeper, you've broken the curse! You've driven off the ghoul! The stoatman in the corner seems unable to believe their good fortune, and gets up with the girl they came in with to dance in abject joy - the ghoul has been vanquished, the ghoul has been vanquished! The musician starts to laugh on the ground, and a distinct air of merriment suffuses the premises in place of the oppressive silence from beforehand, that most wonderful sound of happiness briefly returning...

... well, the innkeeper says after a little bit, suppose that's a cracking job you did there, hope the ghoul doesn't come in again, huh? The couple stops dancing shortly after, and the musician begins to struggle to her feet with limited success - Oggie in a fit of uncharacteristic generosity parks her on a barstool and she slurs some words of thanks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 14, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »

"It's quite all right, Shores, I'm happy for the opportunity to learn from you in and of itself. Let me know when you'd be ready to resume."

After she leaves, Daniels turns to regard Linda. "Would you like to go meet some of my other friends? Maybe we'll go find Dan and my assistants, see how they're doing."

Go find Dan.
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 14, 2017, 04:29:55 pm »

... And I still need to collect a sample for the tape. Good job, Wilde.

Take advantage of my regained mobility to look around for another sharp thing, preferably one which won't violently disagree with being used as such. Hey, maybe I can just cut the clothes free again.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:55 pm »

"It's just a pleasant walk in the woods, really; why not just go straight for it?  Least chance of trouble, really, since it's the fastest way, right?"

Right?  Encourage to go straight for it.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 161