Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258045 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Halfway To Sheol
« Reply #1845 on: December 03, 2016, 04:59:33 pm »

"Whoops. Sorry!"

Daniels shakes his head. This is just becoming embarrassing, wasn't he supposed to be the prolific violence guy?

Take a moment to aim my next shot.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: December 03, 2016, 05:57:10 pm »

Hm. Not very helpful, but she seems to know more about magic than anyone else I've met. Maybe if I fill her in on the details it'll jog her memory.

"I got my first Word down in the well in Anglefork. The minders summoned me and a few other people to Anglefork during the siege, in case you somehow didn't know already. Something about the summoning process linked us to the entity in the well, and because of that we can exchange things it wants for Words or other abilities.

"The well isn't the source of the Words. I've seen others use them - the first was a mechanical king in the catacombs below Anglefork, and the second was the gray stoat that attacked at the end of the siege. The stoat even used multiple words in combination, something I am physically unable to do.

"In addition to dealing with the Well, I've stumbled upon words while interacting with magical phenomena. I believe I acquired a word this way just a moment ago when the rift was sealed."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:08:41 am by penguinofhonor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: December 03, 2016, 10:16:45 pm »

"Hmm," hmmed Thomas.  This wasn't going to be easy, was it?  And so unsafe; the EPA would have a field day here.  Or a coronary.

"Is there a way around this?  A bridge?  A crossing one way or the other?  If the goal is north, north we must go."

Seek alternate routes.  Ask the unhelpful townsfolk if she knows of nothing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:02 am »

while reflexively attempting to open every now and then. All four

Sorcerer! the large man roars

All four what?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: December 04, 2016, 05:30:05 am »

All four what?

Ah, the classic mistake of writing several paragraphs at once. All four were in the process of finishing up breakfast, essentially.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: December 04, 2016, 06:59:40 am »

"Big man!" Leif shouts cheerfully in response. He shamelessly joins their breakfast, grabbing food without reservation. "I believe in my humanity very much, thank you. What's up?"

"Good morning, Rose. I have no memory if you found me any pants last night, but if you did then I lost them again. Sorry about that. You see, I woke up naked on top of that tree there. No clue how I ended up there."

No reason to ruin this good cheery mood going on. Please do not be marriage interview.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: December 04, 2016, 10:38:00 am »

"Oh yes, of course. Could you tell me more about this Wicked King, though?

Drink the tea.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: December 04, 2016, 04:54:15 pm »

"Whoops. Sorry!"

Daniels shakes his head. This is just becoming embarrassing, wasn't he supposed to be the prolific violence guy?

Take a moment to aim my next shot.

It's a little hard to aim something you don't have. Luckily, your murder-thought does return in a few minutes' time just before you start getting bored, feeling a lot like an excited dog with not even the barest notion that it has done something deeply terrible just now. So you stand there a moment, regarding the warehouse.

[Thoughts On Ultimate Destruction: 1]

You guess you can just keep at rending the thing. Either they'll die or everyone else will, and you don't think either is an entirely unacceptable option.

Hm. Not very helpful, but she seems to know more about magic than anyone else I've met. Maybe if I fill her in on the details it'll jog her memory.

"I got my first Word down in the well in Anglefork. The minders summoned me and a few other people to Anglefork during the siege, in case you somehow didn't know already. Something about the summoning process linked us to the entity in the well, and because of that we can exchange things it wants for Words or other abilities.

"The well isn't the source of the Words. I've seen others use them - the first was a mechanical king in the catacombs below Anglefork, and the second was the gray stoat that attacked at the end of the siege. The stoat even used multiple words in combination, something I am physically unable to do.

"In addition to dealing with the Well, I've stumbled upon words while interacting with magical phenomena. I believe I acquired a word this way just a moment ago when the rift was sealed."

You can almost hear the doctor drinking in the information with the utmost attention, although she remains just short of interjecting with actual questions throughout your recital of the many adventures you've had. It takes a few moments to process it all, it seems.

[Secrets of the Distant Past: 5]

Well, she says, where to start. These words - Words, you correct - yes, these Words. You say you encountered them in the catacombs beneath Anglefork Castle - these would be the Imaginary catacombs, she assumes. You reply that you didn't find them at all imaginary - no, she corrects, Imaginary. As in the period. It's a very confusing affair, do remind her to tell you more about that later. In short, it's a period of time spanning six thousand years, more or less, none of which can be conclusively said to have happened. In fact, strong evidence exists in the historiography of El that it categorically did not happen, and even the flimsiness of evidence at home made sure the Glorious period following the Imaginary lasted but a few months before the entirety of the kingdom entered a catastrophic breakdown due to its shaky foundations. Unusual, you admit. But what does that have to do with anything?

She was getting to that - you see, a lot of Imaginary monuments tend to have a great many traces of their mostly unknown and perhaps even unknowable creator, popularly known as the King In Green. It explains why many of them tend to seem... otherworldly, for lack of a better word. The kingdom is absolutely littered with little curios from that time, most of them incredibly hazardous to both mind and flesh when approached, as she's sure you no doubt discovered upon attempting to explore down there to any great degree. So something down there having arcane powers not easily explainable in the framework of modern minding techniques and such isn't unusual as such, in that it's exactly the kind of nonsense you'd expect from down there.

However, you hear her raise a finger! The gray stoat - she must admit that much of the latter times in Anglefork Castle are something of a blur to her. The haze was a little overpowering in those days. Though she does know that the stoatmen had some form of trick on their side, as otherwise their streak of victories over the kingdom's own armies and the ultimate outcome of the revolution would be absolutely impossible rather than merely spectacularly improbable. So the idea that they may have courted a power of some kind is not at all unlikely - perhaps the very Imaginary sort you encountered, perhaps something different like what their own minders seemed to be trying (seemingly very successfully, judging by your presence).

But it's the form of this strange magic that is the most peculiar. Words - a very primal sort of myth, the power of language. The sort of thing you would expect of a more folkloric form of entity - singing the world into shape, speaking light into being, words of creation acting as prime mover for a cascade of improbability. And of course incredibly common in tales of the King In Green - his Word is Law, the doctor begins to recite. And by his Law was the realm pulled from the sea, and its people pulled from dreaming. And they sat in a circle as the Law was dictated, from beginning to end, and the people saw the inevitable truth of his Words.

Something to think about, and your explanation does give rise to certain interpretations about the choice capitalization, she supposes, but not something to lend undue credence - none of these accounts, near as she has been able to tell, have anything approaching legitimate fact to them. At best they couch a little truth in a great deal of creative interpretation. There is certainly more to know, and certainly a lot more she could tell you if you'd like. Perhaps not in a dark basement in the middle of doing something else, of course.

But this well, she asks, you say there is an entity in it? It had been renowned as a haunted place, but she hadn't known there was so much more to that. The minders were deeply involved in experiments down there, she recalls, but in her obsession at the time she neglected to actually discover what those might have been. Did require a lot of rats, of course, but minders always do.

"Hmm," hmmed Thomas.  This wasn't going to be easy, was it?  And so unsafe; the EPA would have a field day here.  Or a coronary.

"Is there a way around this?  A bridge?  A crossing one way or the other?  If the goal is north, north we must go."

Seek alternate routes.  Ask the unhelpful townsfolk if she knows of nothing.

[Bizarre Topologies: 4]

If there is one, says Claire, it is most certainly not for miles in either direction. Probably for good reason, she adds, this does look rather fresh to her untrained eye. You'd think somebody would have mentioned it were it older than, say, a month. As it is, she did know there was a canyon this way, but she was under the impression it was not in fact filled with the stuff of nightmares. Speaking of, do you have to keep standing around here? She can't help but hate the way the, er, water? Let's say the water. The water seems like it's staring at her, she says as she edges closer to you and shivers. A lot like the master, now that she thinks about it, shivering a little more intensely.

[Tapping For Rumors: 5]

You decide she's got the right idea, and head back toward To Be Announced, shortly finding yourself in the company of the clansmen once again. You approach one currently not holding her head in her hands, and ask if she knows a way over the canyon over yonder. Hohoho, she says, oho, yes, yes she does! Yes she does indeed! Excellent, you reply, what is it? Hoho, you want to know, you really want to know? It's really very simple! You walk across! Hah! Yes! You walk across!

Really, you raise an eyebrow skeptically. Yes, she says. Well, no. Not really! Hoho! She saw a man and a Moth walk across! They made earth appear beneath them! Some tried to follow - they fell in! It was a minder trick, you see! Hohoho! Devious minders, skillful minders, tempting poor Storks to terrible fates! She saw one yesterday, a shadow made of solid light! It laughed at her, and she laughed back, and that was all! Hohoho!

"Big man!" Leif shouts cheerfully in response. He shamelessly joins their breakfast, grabbing food without reservation. "I believe in my humanity very much, thank you. What's up?"

"Good morning, Rose. I have no memory if you found me any pants last night, but if you did then I lost them again. Sorry about that. You see, I woke up naked on top of that tree there. No clue how I ended up there."

No reason to ruin this good cheery mood going on. Please do not be marriage interview.

The roasted voles are exquisite here, you find as you follow the big man's example, though you settle for biting one's head off as the dimensions of your mouth do not allow the same gastronomic feats he's capable of. He watches you eat, clearly amused at your foreign quaintness. It's a fine day, would you not agree? You nod - any day with a solid breakfast such as this promises to be a fine one indeed. He slaps you on the back in a way that nearly makes you cough out a good portion of vole.

As you relate the anecdote of waking up naked in a tree, the two conjoined women giggle in delight. Oh, the joys of youth. They recall when they were in the habit of waking up in strange trees. It's how they met, they say as they look at each other, and you can't help but notice upon closer inspection that they look nothing alike. Rose continues to look somewhat embarrassed. Yes, she says, she was going to get you clothes, but then she got caught up in some nightly business - the healer is so very busy at that hour, and the man was shouting so. It was dreadful to behold. Nevertheless, she is very sorry for disappearing in such a manner.

She's skittish, our Rose, the large man says! Yes, even at her age! Honestly, the man says, it was probably your Moth wife that scared her off, competition's always nasty in that sense! Rose blanches, and Lee's distinct lack of amusement is such that you feel an almost literal chill from her direction.

"Oh yes, of course. Could you tell me more about this Wicked King, though?

Drink the tea.

[The Mother of Tea: 3]

The tea makes you wonder exactly how it was possible to create something so noxious without advanced processes of distillation, but the reality of the brew hits all too hard regardless. Following the advice of the watchman, you try to choke back the mother of tea in the process. It's a surprisingly monolithic mass of bacterial waste, you find, and is at once extremely spicy and incredibly rich. Your eyes start to water uncontrollably as you swallow and attempt to ask a question. Wicked King, what is?

Wicked King, the watchman thinks. First, foremost. Bad king, head came off. Still would not die. Broke something. Not dying easier now. Also grew bog. Less damp in past. Now deep and black. Ate mountains, ate forests, ate hills, ate animals. Now just bog. And more bog. And things above bog. And more bog.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: December 04, 2016, 07:27:07 pm »

"Well, nothing for it."

REND
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: December 05, 2016, 03:04:39 am »

"Hahaha! Please don't joke around or she gets angry." Causing misunderstanding why Lee would get angry. "We are just traveling together out of convenience since our trip takes us in same direction, my goal being Elizabeth and hers her clan. I'm still strictly unmarried man and plan to stay that way for a while until I learn which way I must go to return home, if I can indeed return home."

Listen stories, finish breakfast, get to know people, and focus on the place. See if I can archieve that state of hyperawareness again.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: December 05, 2016, 10:58:57 am »

Thomas stared blankly for a good eight seconds.  "Ah!  Well then, very good!  I will take your suggestion under advisement!"

He then backed away as quickly as possible while still being polite.

"Obviously they don't know anything and are also insane.  I suppose we must go around."

Investigate ways around.  Maybe the less-insane guard we met first knows something.  Otherwise, pick a way and head out.  East, if there's no preference.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: December 05, 2016, 02:08:00 pm »

"Interesting. How long ago did this happen? Did he make the roads, too?
... could I have a glass of water?"

Nope, not like proper tea after all.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: December 05, 2016, 05:02:01 pm »

"Yes, a shadowy being behind a strange doorway. As far as I can tell, only the people the minders summoned can pass through and speak to it. It has a keen interest in the social connections between people. If you trade one to it, then the other person is basically unable to perceive you."

While we're talking I try to remember where I saw the set of clothes earlier, and make my way over to grab them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: December 07, 2016, 11:06:47 am »

"Well, nothing for it."

REND

This is taking too much time!

REND

[Word: 3]

You get the feeling your murder-thought is starting to feel a little worn out by all this attention. Mind you, it still surges forward, and it still burrows into the wall! And it even goes around a few times in there, much like you would expect of a dog perplexed at whether it's doing this right. It does seem a bit sluggish though, slightly unenthused by being ordered around in such a fashion. And your pain, such as it is, doesn't feel quite as constant and sharp as it used to when indulged so terribly often.

[Hit The Deck: 6]

It circles every which way, and returns to you seemingly entirely unbloodied. You suspect that the stoatmen may have learned something from previous experience. Such as ducking out of the way of any supernatural projectiles coming through the walls. Just to be on the safe side, you know.

"Hahaha! Please don't joke around or she gets angry." Causing misunderstanding why Lee would get angry. "We are just traveling together out of convenience since our trip takes us in same direction, my goal being Elizabeth and hers her clan. I'm still strictly unmarried man and plan to stay that way for a while until I learn which way I must go to return home, if I can indeed return home."

Listen stories, finish breakfast, get to know people, and focus on the place. See if I can archieve that state of hyperawareness again.

His eyes glint as you explain your situation - he remembers when he used to be like you, all brash and young and dedicated to bachelorhood! And look at him now! Seventy years old, twice married, a dozen children at last count, and couldn't be happier! Take these words to heart - you have never found a home before you have started a family! He wouldn't trade all the adventure in the world for his lovely wives, he nods at the two women, who both smile in a peculiarly synchronized manner. And he can only hope that the many betrothed of her lovely daughters would say the same even now, for he did and still does intend to hold them to that word!

You glance at Rose, and she gives you a look that very much communicates a great deal of discomfort at this line of discussion. Father, she begins, perhaps it's not the best time to be bothering the stranger with this kind of t-

Nonsense, the large man declares! There are no strangers - only people who have not seen the obvious benefit of having a friend in you! It's a rare opportunity for an outlander to befriend one of the far clans! Besides, it's high time someone made an honest woman of his eldest daughter! Rose's eyes go suddenly very wide as she looks at you in rising panic, breathing quickly.

Her father locks eyes with you, and you notice her mothers edge closer with interested eyes. What a coincidence! They're going to Elizabeth as well - she's said to be hosting the clansmeet, would you believe? Absolutely beautiful! You hear Lee sigh, and strongly suspect a rolling of the eyes has just occurred.

Thomas stared blankly for a good eight seconds.  "Ah!  Well then, very good!  I will take your suggestion under advisement!"

He then backed away as quickly as possible while still being polite.

"Obviously they don't know anything and are also insane.  I suppose we must go around."

Investigate ways around.  Maybe the less-insane guard we met first knows something.  Otherwise, pick a way and head out.  East, if there's no preference.

The clanswoman takes all of this in good humor. Hohoho, yes! Listen to her words and listen well! Or do not, hoho!

You get well clear of her as quickly and politely as you can before sharing your candid impressions with Claire. She heartily agrees. Perhaps it's best she couldn't get anything out of them after all. It sounds like they are just as addled as they initially appeared. Perhaps you could ask that guard over- no, Claire says and leans in as she glances their way, the elderly fellow still going on about something to his mute friend, she'll save you a little time and tell you right away that they do not know anything. And are also insane, of course. Ah, you say, you somewhat suspected that also. You have no idea, she shakes her head with a regretful look.

Okay, you suppose you'll just need to try and find a way around. Eastward, you suppose? Claire shrugs. Either way seems not very promising. These canyons go on for miles and miles to her knowledge. But perhaps someone has another method of crossing? All those clansmen have to get back and forth over it somehow, don't they? Good thinking, you suppose! East it is then.

[The Rising Sun: 4]

So you head out eastward, putting as much distance between yourself and the wayward Storks as you can. Claire trails behind you, whistling with a cheer that seems more affected than real as she regards the edge of the forest you tend to skirt to the right, the thickening of the grass straight ahead and especially the still-glowing canyon to your left with no small amount of concern as you occasionally veer to avoid the frequent waste-filled crater. The dark, such as it is, tends to be kept quite nicely at bay by the various toxic glows, and you manage to go quite a distance before Claire begins to seem increasingly exhausted and her musical efforts grow pronouncedly erratic as she loses concentration every now and then.

You are considering if perhaps a stop for the night would be in order when, upon passing yet another particularly large glowing hole in the ground you notice a very short, possibly even dwarfish individual standing next to it. He adjusts a wide-brimmed hat banded with an intriguing and bizarre variety of teeth as he looks into the bright waters, and upon your approach looks up, his eyes hollow and teeth more than a little blackened as he grins at you. Good evening sir and madam, he says. Have you seen any worms about?

"Interesting. How long ago did this happen? Did he make the roads, too?
... could I have a glass of water?"

Nope, not like proper tea after all.

Was first, Wicked King. Ordered second. Second got help, got third. And so was kingdom. Simple, no?

The watchman rises at the request for water and looks around, his whole body creaking at the effort. He kneels down and starts to root in yet another of the ubiquitous piles of refuse in the shack, and retrieves a delicate crystal wine glass. He then crawls on his hands and knees to a particular spot on the floor and works his fingers between the boards, loosening one and pulling it aside, revealing a dark hole. Reaching down with one twisted hand he pulls out a considerable length of sphagnum, and twists out a steady stream of water from it into the glass, tossing the moss back in as it's filled, then putting the board back into place.

He hands you the glass. Not clean, he shrugs as your tears just keep coming. But cleaner.

"Yes, a shadowy being behind a strange doorway. As far as I can tell, only the people the minders summoned can pass through and speak to it. It has a keen interest in the social connections between people. If you trade one to it, then the other person is basically unable to perceive you."

While we're talking I try to remember where I saw the set of clothes earlier, and make my way over to grab them.

That's certainly vaguer than she'd like, the doctor says. And you say it gave you one of these Words? It must be something extraordinary indeed. Why can you speak to it when most others seemingly cannot? And why would it want social connections? Those seem like fairly abstract things. On the other hand, it's not as if a soul is much better, is it?

[The Way To The Bed: 5]

You suppose not, you begin to say as you resume fumbling once again. Orienting yourself from the stepladder, you stumble over to the bed over all the junk upset by the sudden closing of the rift, and trip into the bed at last, where you locate the set of clothes. From purely a tactile standpoint it is readily apparent that these were meant for a stoatman who was fortunately more or less your size - there's a linen shirt and a set of trousers, but the comparative dimensions of your torso and limbs mean these come out to the equivalent of a short-sleeved linen dress reaching down slightly short of your knees, and a pair of Capri pants. Unfortunately there aren't any shoes to go with that, but it's infinitely more clothes than you had when you came down here. And the pants even have a decent set of pockets on them - sadly empty, but you appreciate their presence nevertheless.

The doctor comes up with a question after a moment's silence: how powerful would you say this shadowy being is? And did the minders speak to it, do you know?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:00 pm »

"Thanks.
Where does the road lead, then?"

Drink and ask one last question. Then answer any of his.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 161