Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258047 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Halfway To Sheol
« Reply #1830 on: November 23, 2016, 08:39:24 am »

"Okay, I'm going to try to fix this, but it's probably going to go poorly, so I'd hide on the stairway for a minute or two if I were you."

I give the doctor time to back off, then address the crack in the ground in an attempt to calm it down a bit. "Your HUNGER is sated."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: November 23, 2016, 12:22:03 pm »

"Yes, please. Then I suppose you'll want to start with the warning direly?"
Accept his hospitality. I doubt any poison is capable of harming me, anyway.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: November 25, 2016, 06:59:17 pm »

"Whoah, what a night... Did anyone see my pants?"

Get up, cover family jewels with one hand, I'm not a display to gawk at. Locate pair of pants to borrow.

[A Man Of Pitiable Nakedness: 4]

They don't seem to particularly mind you keeping one hand squarely locked on your nuts as you ask them to help you locate some pants. In fact, they seem absolutely keen on assisting, their knotty and greatly varied shapes getting to work almost immediately before you have the chance to blunder much further - a team in particular is quickly dispatched to liberate the person you nearly crushed under their own tent and politely nudge you into a place where you can hopefully do less damage.

[The Loaners: 2]

You are in no time at all brought a pair of sublimely itchy woolen breeches. Or maybe they're slacks for a person much shorter than you are - either way they're pants and they're free, and you think it wildly impolite to say no. In the process Lee is also brought along somehow, or maybe she brings herself - she's not behind you one moment, and then she is the next in a confusing turn of events, staring intently at the back of your head in a way you don't need minding to at least suspect.

"Yeah, I can't punch through the door or anything like that since my bones are currently nonexistent, but I can open a hole in the door or one of the walls for you. Where d'you want it?"

Allow the guard captain to indicate where she wants the hole and presumably form up a bunch of soldiers near the place, then REND the door/wall/whatever to bits.

[A Sound Plan: 5]

The commander considers this idea, and seems to consider it practicable enough... one one condition, which is that her troops get to retreat beforehand in case this, much like seemingly half but mathematically more like a third of these events, goes catastrophically and unnaturally wrong. You shrug - same difference to you, you suppose.

The commander signals a retreat and a very generous widening of the perimeter, just enough to cordon off the area while remaining as far as possible from the action before it's time to move in. You would chuckle affably at their overwhelming caution if the act of doing so wouldn't be extremely painful. You'll have this done in a jiffy. Easiest souls you have ever made, you think as your murder-thought hums with power and petty malice.

REND

[Word: 2]

With a shriek the murder-thought shoots forth at twice the speed of sound, and carves through wood and stone with equal ease much like a bullet would not, leaving a hole the size of your thumb that would most likely be lethal to any mere human it hit - storehouses, unfortunately, are built to withstand such stresses and thus even after it bursts out the other end and cuts off a chunk of a neighboring roof on its shrieking return the place remains standing, and unfortunately very much barricaded.

[A Handy Commotion: 4]

Although you are fairly sure that got someone's attention - several someones, in fact, currently gathering cautiously around the dormers on the roof, most of them looking at your strange and naked alien figure for a good long second or two.

Thomas shrugged, completely missing her overtures.  "I suppose it would make sense to travel together.  Is there anything you need to do here first?"  He looked around the area.  "I could probably eat something.  It'd make sense to eat before we left."

Accept offer.  Look for eats.

Is she being too subtle, her eyes seem to ask, or are you merely too polite to outright refuse her? She regards you like some kind of riddle as she fails to miss a beat in conversation - why no, Mr. Minstep, to be perfectly honest it would be very much appreciated if you could assist her with leaving as soon as possible. You see, there's a bit of a canyon on the way, and it's seemingly very unfriendly to human life attempting to cross it and- yes, actually, she backpedals briefly, lunch of some kind would also be very good.

[Good Eats: 3]

Although she can't say she can easily imagine where you might find something edible out here. She's hardly a woodswoman, so she couldn't tell you whether, say, these berries would be safe to eat, she begins to explain as you stop in front of a small bush laden with blue-black berries. Though there is an easy way to check, she says as she picks out a handful. She parts her lips ever so slightly as she nears a particular berry to her mouth, but stops as she looks around - ah, she says with a smile, look at the two clanfolk gawking there. Probably not safe then, she says, carefully pocketing the handful.

You suppose there's also a simpler solution than foraging about - surely these clansmen here are at least familiar with the lay of the land. You've heard they tend to be rural folk, maybe you could ask if they have some food or know where to get some, even if you don't quite like the way they're looking at you through those pointy masks of theirs.

"Okay, I'm going to try to fix this, but it's probably going to go poorly, so I'd hide on the stairway for a minute or two if I were you."

I give the doctor time to back off, then address the crack in the ground in an attempt to calm it down a bit. "Your HUNGER is sated."

[Esoteric Considerations: 5]

Oh dear, the doctor says. Are you sure? Yes, you say, you're very sure this is probably going to go poorly. She looks at the crack - on one hand, the rest of the house is rationally unlikely to be much safer, considering this is the origin of the movement. Much less safe, in fact. On the other hand, there is the strong possibility that anywhere at all is safer than in here, especially given your misgivings about what you're about to do.

She thinks for a second. So that leaves the third hand, which is that she's terribly curious about what it is you intend to do, and that to be frank then if she has a good chance of dying either way, she'd rather it be facing a very unusual phenomenon rather than while running away from it. If you don't mind, that is. As such, she'd prefer to stand behind you if it's all the same to you, she offers with a smile. You... guess, sure.

The doctor makes good on her word after taking a moment to deposit all her woolen blankets in the stairwell, and stands behind you as you face the gaping wound in reality and make good on yours. You attempt to speak the Word in conjunction with mere human language - it is an attempt doomed to fail, the anticipation of its speaking drowning out your thoughts even before you manage to form the thin core of context around it, but you try anyway.

HUNGER

[Word: 5]

Your companion shrinks back and clamps down on your shoulders instinctively as the Word makes the house quiver with a fine vibration as the spacetime-wound catches your wavelength and owns it, adjusting itself in light of inspiration. It rumbles with a newfound human desire for flesh and a newborn inhuman thirst for form, and its jaws open in a roar as interpreted by a thing unfamiliar with the concept of sound, stopping just short of outright exploding your eardrums as it begins to pounce with innumerable limbs of searing, arcing lightning coalescing into a shape as close to you as a second of terrible clarity can convey.

[Burning Desire: 6+1 vs. 2]

You are about to jump to the side as it occurs to you just how screwed you might be here, and the doctor pulls back - together you manage something of a backward diagonal dodge - she falls to the ground and you land softly on her as the surreal wound-beast crackles on over and past, and you hear a set of wardrobes horrifically dissolve into so much quark slurry and strange matter, proving once and for all that there is a sound that can terrify on an atomic level. The cellar simultaneously broadens and shrinks, rotates and elongates and spaghettifies as spacetime feels like it's being rendered into a spectrum of its component parts, and your eyes fill with bright light briefly.

But as unreality corrodes the laws of the world, so too can unreality overreach where it does not belong. And so do the pieces picked apart fuse once more, the spare weight of impossibility becoming magnetism, gravity and light reasserting itself with an ignition that sets the wound itself aflame. It shrieks in what is almost your voice before it is undone, and as electricity arcs from every sharp edge and you feel yourself suddenly pulled down along with the doctor your next breath enters your throat with a refreshingly real quality to it, your brain celebrating the return of causality with a sudden rush of endorphins as the wound explodes into one last surge of light, then is no more.

[A Resolution: 4]

The doctor gasps for air as your weight stops bearing down on her quite so much. Her next word comes with a nigh-religious thrill.

SYNTHESIS

Academic, but apt. Your own mad grin subsides as the sensation of time passing in three whole dimensions of space begins to lose its ecstatic novelty.

"Yes, please. Then I suppose you'll want to start with the warning direly?"
Accept his hospitality. I doubt any poison is capable of harming me, anyway.

The hissing turns out to be a glass jar filled with extraordinarily strong kombucha. So strong in fact that you smell it before the jar is even properly opened. The watchman digs around in a pile for something resembling a mug - something is indeed found, though its half-melted condition does seem to indicate it came here by rather unlikely means. The mug goes to you.

First to drink is the watchman, checking for impurities and finding none from the looks of it (though his unchanging expression does make you wonder if he can taste anything at all). He swills it a good twenty seconds, thoughtfully holding the open jar the entire time. Good, not best, he pronounces after painfully swallowing the brew, the strength of it clearing a good deal of his throat congestion to the point where he sounds almost human.

Next is the skeleton. Despite a certain liveliness to its twitches, the watchman pours the tea on it like a libation, and the skeleton hisses in a sort of approval that seems intuitively reasonable to you, but you can't for the life of you pinpoint why that might be. It starts to tap its foot slowly on the ground, the rhythmic clacking substituting for actual music that the mummy is quick to supplement with arrhythmic banging on its helmet.

Third is you - you hold out your mug hesitantly and the watchman tips the jar very deliberately. A good deal of the brew pours in, and in a fluid motion a watery flat chunk of yellowish-whie follows, splashing a bit of the drink around as it settles atop your mug. Mother of tea, the watchman rasps out. Lucky, but drink in one gulp.

You look at the "tea" as the watchman tries to figure out how the mummy's faceplate works again, and how to make it stop banging on its helmet. He looks at the skeleton, but its constant grin betrays its complete unhelpfulness to the situation immediately. He turns back toward you, and you are about to exchange a meaningful look before the watchman gets a painful reminder why looking at you directly is a poor idea.

So, you say after the first minute, the kombucha steaming in your hands inexplicably, how about some dire warnings? You relish this chance to avoid eye contact. The watchman coughs, then starts hacking, and finally goes into something between cackling and choking. What was question, he asks. Dire warnings, you say. Oh, he says. Not many ways to warn. Further is death - what more need you know?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »

"Oh for fuck's sake. Hang on, and maybe back up like 20 more feet."

SILEN(TLY) REND it apart.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:01 pm »

Thomas pondered a second; didn't they go in for hoods?  No matter; best just ask and get out of their way.  "Excuse me good sirs!  Where might we find something for lunch?"

Inquire.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: November 26, 2016, 05:50:56 pm »

"What sort of death? Your companions seem to lack the symptoms I am used to. Your handiwork, I presume? Most impressive, I must say."
More light conversation.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:37 am »

"I don't know if that went better or worse than expected. Both, I guess?"

If it seems safe now, I make my way over to the far side of the basement and take a closer look at everything.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:25 am »

Eh, better than nothing. Hopefully I won't lose these as quickly as I did lose previous ones. Put them on.

"Good morning, Lee. ready to continue the trip?"

Also explain Lee I don't do mind reading as often as I do stupid shit. It was the place, not me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: November 29, 2016, 12:24:01 pm »

"Oh for fuck's sake. Hang on, and maybe back up like 20 more feet."

SILEN(TLY) REND it apart.

You don't think they heard you. You said,

REND

[Word: 3]

It goes in wider this time, and you see a crack spread through the side wall as one hole made by your murder-thought joins another. This time you curve the path ever so slightly, and you briefly taste blood as a shriek comes through the wall. You twist the thought around in exhilaration and it sweeps in a great lash along the interior. Something falls, someone is neatly parted. Your thought escapes through the roof, bleeding the last of its murderous momentum as it arcs back to you, recommencing its tense and unpredictable orbit. A step in the right direction, you should think.

[This Isn't Going To End Well At All: 3]

The wall right now seems perforated enough that the inhabitants within have taken to barricading the holes in it - before they do, however, you do sense chaos and commotion, and more than a little fear. What few shadows remain in the top windows have gone almost completely out of sight.

Thomas pondered a second; didn't they go in for hoods?  No matter; best just ask and get out of their way.  "Excuse me good sirs!  Where might we find something for lunch?"

Inquire.

[Where's The Food: 1]

You approach a sufficiently lucid-looking group of clansmen and ask where a respectable eatery might be found, but they can only respond in strange cries and startled escape attempts. You try another, and they merely stare at you completely perplexed. You continue on and find a solitary one - she laughs at the question, but flatly refuses to elaborate why. A few ancient clansmen visibly on the edge of mental breakdown think you're offering them lunch, and ask where you found any and if they can have it, growing a little insistent before you wave them off in the hopes of saving them and yourself further torment. A masked child offers you a handful of dirt - good for the soul, he says before what you assume is his mother pulls him away.

They really are disturbed, Claire discreetly whispers as she keeps you between herself and the others at all times. Though surely they'd be even less charitable were their spirit not utterly broken.

"What sort of death? Your companions seem to lack the symptoms I am used to. Your handiwork, I presume? Most impressive, I must say."
More light conversation.

No, the watchman says. Not his handiwork. Is the land instead. The bog. Comes from strange places. Vomits stranger things. He nods and sits down on a pile of unidentifiable refuse, staring at his mummy friend. Here is long death, weak death. Drags and scratches before string comes loose. Until then, waiting, dying, searching.

The banging continues unabated. The watchman continues to stare, committed to waiting it out after seeing no better alternative. How long does it usually take, you ask after a few moments. Sometimes years, he replies.

"I don't know if that went better or worse than expected. Both, I guess?"

If it seems safe now, I make my way over to the far side of the basement and take a closer look at everything.

As you rise to your feet and the doctor does the same, you take a moment to evaluate the profound change in the room.

[Time's Scar: 2]

Said evaluation is made slightly difficult by the fact that the brightly glowing wound in the earth that illuminated the basement seems to have completely evaporated, leaving you in, you now realize as your eyes begin to adapt, utter pitch blackness.

The doctor rises up as well. She's not sure what you're on about, frankly, that was the most brilliant thing she's ever seen. Extremely terrifying to behold in person, she'll grant you, but definitely brilliant in retrospect. And against all odds it even seems to have fixed the issue. You notice her fumble a little in the dark before she manages to brush her hand along your back. Ah, there you are - apologies.

What was that, by the way? That word? Very much unlike anything she has seen documented, if you'll pardon her curiosity.

Eh, better than nothing. Hopefully I won't lose these as quickly as I did lose previous ones. Put them on.

"Good morning, Lee. ready to continue the trip?"

Also explain Lee I don't do mind reading as often as I do stupid shit. It was the place, not me.

Your junk now safely hidden from view, you turn to Lee unsteadily. She declines to comment on the morning, but she is ready to continue if you are.

[Matters of the Mind: 1]

You also begin to explain how you don't really wanna read her mind and that really you just kinda did it by accident due to the circumstances, and that to be honest you're probably gonna do a lot of stupid shit but really you're not really into that whole mind control thing if she's not. Cross your heart and hope to, uh... you kind of forget. Hope to something.

She gives a barely perceptible nod as her eyes and breathing remain steady and perfectly controlled. She is ready to continue. Are you?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: November 29, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

"Oh, come on. Don't be like those rude storks and ignore me! Sure, yeah, ready to go. After a breakfast."

Locate breakfast, share legends of Norse gods as payment, and/or continue our travels with ice princess Elsa.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »

"Wait a minute, searching for what?
How does the bog even do that?
Does anyone rule this land?"

That just brings up even more questions.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: November 29, 2016, 03:34:42 pm »

"I guess they don't have anything.  Come on; maybe we'll see something on the way."

Onward, northward!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: November 29, 2016, 04:20:51 pm »

"Alright, now we're getting somewhere."

REND those existing holes a little wider, shall we?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 30, 2016, 07:55:10 am »

"It's magic! I guess people around here don't stumble upon magic words every once in a while?"

While we talk I head over to the other side of the basement and start rummaging around blindly.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: December 03, 2016, 11:22:38 am »

"Oh, come on. Don't be like those rude storks and ignore me! Sure, yeah, ready to go. After a breakfast."

Locate breakfast, share legends of Norse gods as payment, and/or continue our travels with ice princess Elsa.

Not ignoring you at all. Keeping you at the forefront of her mind at all times. Takes some concentration.

[Know Where I Can Get Some Grub: 3]

If you need food, some should be left around the morning gathering. You follow Lee's lead as she efficiently guides you along the tents to a clearer area, where a set of hides is pleasingly laid out. Gallflies of disparate ages lounge out in the morning sun, some having eaten themselves into immobility, some taking the chance to bask in the light and relax. You pass a group of women sunbathing in the nude, the wealth of protruding ears and pale horns on their bodies rising to the sun and gently quivering in the wind. A few elderly women and fellows watch them from nearby, smoking long pipes, rosy bulbs hanging from their arms like ripening apples. A small group of young men, their backs carrying a mountainous load of raspberry-like cysts as they walk around on hands and knees, graze idly on a small pile of dried meat, their eyes closed and expressions meditative. A woman whose forearms have sprouted into a forest of fingers plays a byzantine, yet enchanting tune on what looks like a modified zither.

To one side, you see Rose, much the same as you recall seeing her last except for the way her gown is now flecked with gold. She's sat near the musician along with three others - one is a spectacularly enormous man of indeterminate age wearing no shirt, his entire back broken out in a massive number of fleshy bulbs much like the ones on the young men. He, unlike them, seems to have no trouble at all bearing this mountain of cysts. They are joined by a pair of elderly, yet still very much svelte women with long golden hair, one of which seems to be hanging on to the back of the other before you realize that they instead appear to be conjoined. Across their arms you see running lines of vertical slits that squint at the sun while reflexively attempting to open every now and then. All four of them appear to be in the process of finishing up a minor morning feast.

Sorcerer! the large man roars at you as his eyes wander toward you in the middle of breakfast conversation, snapping up a roasted vole with his powerful jaws. Rose swivels her head as her attention is drawn to you, then lowers her eyes in embarrassment. The two women chuckle in unison as they dine on a surfeit of berries. Yes, you! the man repeats. Come here and present yourself! And your young Moth too! he is quick to add as Lee starts to shuffle out of sight, and she sighs and follows as you go up to see what they want.

Rose spoke of you! the man proclaims even before you're there, able to make himself heard across fifty feet without effort. The rest of those gathered seem to be rather used to the volume. Blond! Tall! Muscular! And very possibly not human! How exciting! Very exciting, one of the twins offers. She agrees, the one on her back says as well. It's a terrible pleasure to meet you, they all explain in their own way. Rose remains quiet for a second before summoning the will to look up at you. Hello, she says, uh. These are, well, her parents, and... she trails off, unsure of how to proceed.

"Wait a minute, searching for what?
How does the bog even do that?
Does anyone rule this land?"

That just brings up even more questions.

Treasure, the watchman says, and is met with a chorus of the others - treasure! Treasure in bog has sunk, treasure rising sometimes also. But how bog does bog things, to say is to lie. Things sink in bog. Things rise from bog. The watchman shrugs. All to say on matter.

What of the ruler, you ask? Who rules this land? Simpler question, watchman says. Wicked King is ruler. Now and forever. Drink tea, he nods, else get colder.

"I guess they don't have anything.  Come on; maybe we'll see something on the way."

Onward, northward!

You head on north and Claire follows, eager to be out of this place. Your trip, however, comes to a very short stop as it becomes clear what lies ahead - a canyon, you think, or what undoubtedly used to be one. About half a mile wide, you would suspect it looked quite majestic before somebody came along and filled it with a similar kind of toxic waste that you saw in the craters leading up to this point - perhaps even the same kind, but a little airier and fuzzier. Perhaps part of it has vaporized into a mist - this is a calming thought that distracts you from considering the exact logistics of filling up an enormous canyon with hazardous material, let alone that an operation producing such an amount of waste must exist, most likely somewhere not very far away.

Yes, Claire mentions as she looks out into the white and roiling mess ahead of you, she may have mentioned this before. It's something of a problem for proceeding northward. Probably not at all a good idea to try and swim the breadth of the thing. She saw one of the Storks try it, she whispers into your ear - it was the single most awful thing she had ever witnessed.

"Alright, now we're getting somewhere."

REND those existing holes a little wider, shall we?

You huff and you puff, and prepare to blow this warehouse down.

REND

[Word: 1]

Your murder-thought spins up and flies forward into the hole in the wall. You curve it on the backswing, but it finds no purchase, simply flying back through the other hole you made. Still empowered. Frustrated. Very murderous, too.

[Like A Boomerang: 5]

Rather than fall victim to hubris and do something like ask it to stop, you do the safe thing and duck as it passes overhead. It shoots off into the distance, and it takes exactly five seconds for screaming to begin. Huh. Hope it's nobody important getting eviscerated over there.

"It's magic! I guess people around here don't stumble upon magic words every once in a while?"

While we talk I head over to the other side of the basement and start rummaging around blindly.

[History Of Magic: 1]

When you put it like that, the doctor thinks, no. No they do not. The only thing possibly like it that she knows of is minding, or possibly alchemy from El, but nothing even nearly this powerful or chaotic even from those - and mind you, she has read the works of the masters of both. Where did you learn this? And how? You seemed to say a word, and things happened as a direct result? A very elementary form of magic, it would appear. So many questions!

[Digging In The Dark: 2]

As you fumble around on the other side of the basement, you run into a stepladder and stub your toe. Then you trip over a cabinet and nearly fall headfirst into the ground. A barrel almost rolls onto you as you kick it by accident. This really isn't working at all.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:28:57 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 161