Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258101 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: To The Four Corners Of The World
« Reply #1545 on: September 04, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »

I find an unoccupied crevasse or opening in the rubble and rest in it for a minute. Probably not an ideal place to stop, but it seems quiet enough for now.

Also, does it seem like morning is soon?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:26 am »

"Well, yes, I suppose that would make sense.  There was a lack of available clothing, but I'll see what I can manage."

See if we can find some appropriate clothing.  Ask around; maybe the lord of the keep knows something?

[I Need Your Clothes: 1]

You decide that there is nothing to it - have to go straight to the highest echelons of power for this particular request. So you walk back into the keep past a few busy servants, then head up to the second floor, where the lord of the keep is standing around looking worriedly at servants packing most of his earthly possessions and family heirlooms into quite a few bags.

Hello, you say, startling the lord somewhat. You were wondering about the possibility of securing a quality dress from around here somewhere, you tell him as he stares at you. He raises an eyebrow at you and tilts his head. Uh, you want... a dress? You look down at the dress you're wearing and chuckle. Oh no, it's not what he thinks. It's for his mother.

Wait, the lord says, his mother? Why does she need a dress? Well, you say, she seems to have been released and would really prefer not to wander about in an immodest state of dress, so-

She's released? Hold on! How did this happen, the lord asks. And when? Did she get out of her cell? Oh my, nobody looked at her, did they? Oh dear. This is terrible. This is worse than terrible! This may be the worst, in fact!

"This APOCALYPSE is not living up to its name."

Third time's the charm. Sit down on the so called holy ground and mediate my little personal world. What's up dudes, new world here yet?

C'mon baby, world's gotta end someday. Why not sooner? Why not right now?

APOCALYPSE

[Word: 3]

You feel the fire start up once more, but this time in a less mystical fashion, your words setting sparks among dry leaves, the bush starting to smoke gently as a little orange flame starts to spread along its surface.

[Only You Can Prevent Brush Fires: 4]

It's a humble beginning, you suppose. But you do notice the rest of the brush is quite dry as well. Maybe setting things on fire around here isn't the best idea.

It's still alive once seperated. Interesting.
"Daniels, if you would care to press enough gold around this join here to seal the thing inside before it can escape and start eating thoughts or something, I'd be eternally grateful."
Either assist in the sealing if necessary or start swearing at Daniels (as appropriate).

Mr. Daniels fortunately decides to not fuck around and just get to it after telling the other two to step away, something Deirdre does with extraordinary efficiency.

It's quite something to behold, a man working gold like it was Silly Putty in his hands, wrapping it around and around the pot a few dozen times until you can almost no longer sense the serpent within, covering its improvised egg with a protective metal shell.

Before all goes quiet, though, there is one last thing. Should the container be opened, open it in a secluded place. Preferably a dark one, where a well may grow with fewer restrictions. Most importantly of all, this place should be near people - many of them. Do this and you will receive seven answers of your choice. After these, one fulfillment.

"You went and trapped a bit of it in there, didn't you? Allow me to warn you ahead of time, not a super idea - this will almost inevitably end up converting whatever place you bring it to into a new access point for the well. What are you planning to do with it anyways?

Oh, and you normies go get some distance. Me and Wilde will be alright, but if this is released here and it gets you I don't quite think you'll continue to exist."

Seal the join with some of my plentiful gold, I suppose.

NONSENSE, says the blacksmith. If he is to cease existing, then let it be in the name of science! Deirdre, meanwhile, has split even before you finished your sentence. Smart girl.

So you get out your big bag o' gold and grab a few handfuls of coin, the gold feeling like plasticine when you flex your fingers around it. Heh. Fun! Now to try and get this around the vessel.

[The Golden Egg: 5]

You scoop several handfuls of gold and work them into a single several pound wad of metal, which you then laboriously stretch out with your bare hands, then very carefully start bending it all around the clay pots, the much more fragile things nearly breaking at several points as your fingers run across their rough surface. The serpentine well-fragment withing prunes your thoughts as you work with utmost care, wrapping the entire thing in a thin film of metal until it becomes nearly impossible to feel its influence anymore - the sign of a job well done, you think.

You step back to admire your handiwork. It looks a little bit like a golden mummy, the curves of the pots resembling those of a human being. It's just about the most expensive-looking thing you've beheld for a long time. And all with a very conservative expenditure of your own gold.

I find an unoccupied crevasse or opening in the rubble and rest in it for a minute. Probably not an ideal place to stop, but it seems quiet enough for now.

Also, does it seem like morning is soon?

[Nooks To Live By: 3]

There is a bit of rubble nearby that does keep you out of sight, so you lay down on the hard stone and try to curl up in peaceful sleep, hoping morning comes soon, though you have a very strong feeling the sun is not about to come up for a long while yet. Your shredded and pierced gut starts to hurt in earnest as the adrenaline wears off completely, and you do your best to let your wounds knit together and clear your mind of any troubling thoughts. Eventually you lose consciousness, only to wake up later when you twist in your sleep, some of your wounds flaring up in pain again. Man, you got really fucked up back there, didn't you? Your robe's turned partially brown with your dried blood, and while it's held up better than some of your other clothes of the past few days, it's going to need some heavy repairs when you get back to town.

[Just Another Night In The Forest: 3]

Over the next hour you think you hear a few more distant gaunts, but they appear to be heading away from the area, their disastrous gathering scattering them to the four winds as they head for dens even further in the untamed wilderness.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:17 am »

"Now then, the fragment in there probably gave you an offer, didn't it? Bunch of answers and a fulfilment? An attractive proposal on the surface, but if you want to accept it, think carefully beforehand. The thing is extremely specific with its responses to questions, so if you ask it something vaguely worded you've essentially wasted a question. Also, anyone you let it get its extradimensional mitts on is gone. Forever. Like retroactively, even, you'll forget they ever even existed type deal. So be cautious, and don't fucking drop it.

So, blacksmithy, what say you we get this armor project going?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:11 am »

"Thanks for the warning. Sounds like it wants me to create a new access point, or whatever you called it earlier. I suppose if it's as literal-minded as you say, I could open it now and technically be elegible for the reward since this place fulfills all mentioned requirements, but somehow I doubt it'll appreciate that."

Look for a sack to put the egg in, if there are any more lying around. Probably best not to go around advertising this thing to every potential mugger around.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:06 am »

"More importantly, since it doesn't eat us, I'd still be around and you'd have invalidated a great portion of my past effort with erasing the blacksmith. So yeah, not a super idea right at this moment."
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 06, 2016, 12:00:14 pm »

"True. On another note, what exactly are these answers and fulfilments you mentioned?"
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »

"Answers answer any question, though the way which it answers is very literal, and fulfilments are basically magic wishes, get you anything you want. Again, literal indeed in the extreme so be careful."
Sig! Onol

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:16 pm »

Hm, do I rest more here or try to make my way to civilization first?

I suppose I have no idea where I am or how far I am from anyone else, so I should try to play it safe. I sleep just a little longer.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 06, 2016, 02:28:48 pm »

"Answers answer any question, though the way which it answers is very literal, and fulfilments are basically magic wishes, get you anything you want. Again, literal indeed in the extreme so be careful."
(("I call bullshit." echoes voice you have heard before in your mind. "Fulfilments are partial at best."))

"Another underpowered word. At least I didn't have to pay for it."

Stomp/slap the fire out of existance. If it isn't mythical flame it isn't worth of it.

Sit down on the so called holy ground and mediate myself into my little personal world. "What's up dudes, new world here yet?" Survey state of my new beginning. And drink.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 06, 2016, 06:30:16 pm »

"Er... she was let out by the warden?  Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.  From what she said it seemed she was in there voluntarily.  And she just wanted to leave this place entirely.  No harm done, right?"

Errrr
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 08, 2016, 07:03:16 am »

"Now then, the fragment in there probably gave you an offer, didn't it? Bunch of answers and a fulfilment? An attractive proposal on the surface, but if you want to accept it, think carefully beforehand. The thing is extremely specific with its responses to questions, so if you ask it something vaguely worded you've essentially wasted a question. Also, anyone you let it get its extradimensional mitts on is gone. Forever. Like retroactively, even, you'll forget they ever even existed type deal. So be cautious, and don't fucking drop it.

So, blacksmithy, what say you we get this armor project going?"

He says YES, yes indeed! Time to test out some of his ideas. Find him in his workshop - bring in the sacrificial slab or the window, whichever you prefer. He will prepare some instruments! Haha!

The blacksmith runs off at this point, climbing up the chain like a man possessed. You guess you should... follow him?

"Thanks for the warning. Sounds like it wants me to create a new access point, or whatever you called it earlier. I suppose if it's as literal-minded as you say, I could open it now and technically be elegible for the reward since this place fulfills all mentioned requirements, but somehow I doubt it'll appreciate that."

Look for a sack to put the egg in, if there are any more lying around. Probably best not to go around advertising this thing to every potential mugger around.

There are sacks about. You empty a particular one of a considerable amount of gold and put the egg inside it, then wrap the burlap around it several times. You guess that's ready for transit, then. Now there's just the question of where to take it. You get the feeling someplace far away from here would be preferred. It takes a moment to realize this feeling is emanating from the egg itself. And that it's not so much a feeling as it is a distinct absence of feeling about other alternatives that occur to you.

Hm, do I rest more here or try to make my way to civilization first?

I suppose I have no idea where I am or how far I am from anyone else, so I should try to play it safe. I sleep just a little longer.

The rubble might be one of the worse beds you've slept on these past few days (and not for lack of competition, mind you), but it sure as hell beats sleep's first cousin. You let the hour pass, the horrible hollers of wandering foxes, the howls of distant wolves and the occasional screeching bat or a great dark silhouette of an owl in flight signalling the forest coming to its own kind of life as all the terrifying night creatures scatter to their distant hollows and smoking fissures, the witching hour well and truly gone by the time you can perceive a marked decrease in your deep hurting.

[Call of the Wild: 5]

You are somewhat startled when you open your eyes to find a bear sniffing at your much-abused body, seemingly having followed the scent of blood. It reacts with equal surprise when you give an involuntary start, rearing up on its hind legs as it looks you over silently with thoughtful brown eyes, then stands on all fours and backs away out of immediate sight.

"Another underpowered word. At least I didn't have to pay for it."

Stomp/slap the fire out of existance. If it isn't mythical flame it isn't worth of it.

Sit down on the so called holy ground and mediate myself into my little personal world. "What's up dudes, new world here yet?" Survey state of my new beginning. And drink.

You take a few moments to stomp the burning bush until it stops smoking at all, being an enthusiast of non-Promethean fire safety.

[Spring Cleaning: 4]

You jump into your inner world, where Hœnir seems to be doing an okay job picking up all the bits from the party. They seem to have put up a fence around the horizon so that the grapefruit ocean stops spilling over the edge of the world (fortunately they had a lot of snake bone to work with on that, plus a whole lot of giant remains to shore up any remaining holes, and maybe a bunch of dwarves or a god nobody liked or two, look, don't ask). The new king of the gods seems to really like that prophecy stick he's got especially. It's a bit better than walking around with two birds crapping on your shoulders and a decapitated head talking nonsense at you.

[The Gift of Prophecy: 4]

Speaking of, Hœnir mentions offhand as you christen his mead hall by smashing the door in with a barrel of mead as per ancient viking custom, you might want to get into cover in your other world. You ask him what he means, and he just sort of smiles mysteriously at first and says that you'll see when it happens, but then cracks up. Nah, he doesn't really know what that means, he just twirls the stick and what he understands to be wisdom comes out in vaguely cryptic ways.

"Er... she was let out by the warden?  Nobody seemed to have a problem with it.  From what she said it seemed she was in there voluntarily.  And she just wanted to leave this place entirely.  No harm done, right?"

Errrr

The lord begins to resemble an enormous rodent as his eyes go wide, whiskers quivering violently and he sputters for a moment and wrings his hands. Damnation! He was authorized to do no such thing! What if somebody sees her? She drove his father completely mad just like that! Now they have to get her back in there somehow!

Champion of Anglefork, the lord suddenly addresses you, you need to do something about this disaster! His mother needs to be kept under lock and key at all costs! So thus it falls to you to talk some sense into her! Tell her, uh, tell her this is a bad thing she is doing and she should go back into the cell! Yes, right back in there!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 08, 2016, 01:47:51 pm »

Well that was unnerving. Pretty tame compared to what I'm used to, but definitely more than I want to deal with right now.

I find the least bloody parts of my robe and tear them into a bandeau and loincloth for myself. Then I discard the rest. Even if they're still bloody, that's less blood on my person overall.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:29 pm »

"Heh, Hœnir my buddy. Have you even seen the other world? Useless flat land where even Loki would have trouble finding anything fun. Except the canyon. That was unusual, but not in fun way. But fine, you made it through Ragnarök, I'll give you benefit of doubt."

Place Hymir's cauldron somewhere before checking out in the other world if Hœnir was pulling a joke on me.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 08, 2016, 02:44:44 pm »

"Alright, see ya Wilde. Don't fuck up the local metaphysics for the next hour or so, okay?"

Follow blacksmithy! Given that my strength is unbound, am I capable of just leaping out of the well? Maybe give that a try.

Whatever the case, make my way to the blacksmith's forge, and bring the slab.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 08, 2016, 10:51:43 pm »

"Why not get her some clothes?  I don't think she's repeatedly committing indecent exposure on purpose.  If you'd just let her get dressed, I don't think there would be any issue!  I'll even bring her some clothes if you help me find some."

Continue to misunderstand
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 161