Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258245 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1425 on: August 08, 2016, 10:28:18 am »

"One moment."

Jack puts on his newfound clothes, seemingly savouring the sensation.

"It's been a while. I didn't think that clothes could make a difference to how you feel, but they really do. I almost feel complete."

He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes for just a moment. He exhales sharply through his nose and the eyes snap back open again, focusing intently on all three of them.

"Speaking of which, I have a few questions for you, blacksmith, if you don't overly mind. Won't take any of your time, I assure you."

His lips twitch upward in imitation of a smile, but it seems slightly forced - his eyes stare too intensely and the cords in his neck can be seen tensing just slightly.

Put up a veneer of civility, for politeness' sake.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 08, 2016, 12:23:54 pm »

"Just a traveler from quite a way north of here, doing some sightseeing. I'm trying to stay on the move during the night because of all the uh, unrest around here. Speaking of that, I should probably leave in a bit."

For now, though... I try these peas.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:09:44 pm by penguinofhonor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:18 am »

Okay, okay, time to get up.  Really a quick nap can do you wonders.  "I think he has that taken care of."

Use the rope to cross.  Should be easy, right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 09, 2016, 11:45:22 am »

"Hmm. How are you doing, Daniels? Got up to much recently?"
What's this all about?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »

"Oh, not much. Found out some things I need clarification on. Discovered a new mystery to unravel. Got clothes."
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:21 pm »

"Good morning." Leif whispers. "I think it is morning anyway. Hard to be sure down here. But! I think we have a secret door here! Opening it seems to require some muscle, as I just discovered. Oh, and does this seem like real fire to you? Hot and all?" He asks while poking the sword.

No, Lee replies. You look at the sword in your hand currently giving you what feel a lot like blisters. Really, you ask? Really, she says. Shit, you say as you finally wig out and drop the falchion. Your backpack stirs in his sleep at the sound. Noisy, comments Lee.

"One moment."

Jack puts on his newfound clothes, seemingly savouring the sensation.

"It's been a while. I didn't think that clothes could make a difference to how you feel, but they really do. I almost feel complete."

He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes for just a moment. He exhales sharply through his nose and the eyes snap back open again, focusing intently on all three of them.

"Speaking of which, I have a few questions for you, blacksmith, if you don't overly mind. Won't take any of your time, I assure you."

His lips twitch upward in imitation of a smile, but it seems slightly forced - his eyes stare too intensely and the cords in his neck can be seen tensing just slightly.

Put up a veneer of civility, for politeness' sake.

Nakedness banished at last. You feel compelled to engage in civil banter now. The blacksmith looks you over, seemingly approving of your choice to not be naked anymore. The girl seems relieved as well.

What are your questions, asks the blacksmith. Have you obtained that sliver of perfection at last? He can provide more precise instructions now if you are still interested in armor, though he will need to be leaving in not very long. The local demand for supernatural armaments is only going to decrease from here.

"Just a traveler from quite a way north of here, doing some sightseeing. I'm trying to stay on the move during the night because of all the uh, unrest around here. Speaking of that, I should probably leave in a bit."

For now, though... I try these peas.

Hah! You think this is unrest. Should've seen the first pass. And... ooh, north of here? You one of the clanfolk? Is that why you have that weird-looking robe on? He's heard they dress weird up north, heh. And hey! If it's safety you're looking for, he can come along! He's a robust guy, and you're... heading the same way, right? King's Bridge, yeah?

You thoughtfully have some of the peas as you consider a reply. Gray, boiled, with some bacon and onions - not half bad at all. Quite rich, actually.

Okay, okay, time to get up.  Really a quick nap can do you wonders.  "I think he has that taken care of."

Use the rope to cross.  Should be easy, right?

You let the other two play lifeguard. You've got a river to cross. You climb up the tree and, with a little bit of effort, climb on over to the other side ponderously, yet ultimately effectively, giving your refreshed limbs a decent workout. You get up on the other side and bid a fine early morning to the guards, who seem to still be having a good time watching the rescue operation.

[Unleash The St. Bernard: 5]

Rather uncharacteristically the guard emerges from the river with the stout fellow in tow, breathing heavily as he coughs out a considerable amount of water from his lungs. He takes a minute to relieve the fellow of some of his excess lung water with a spirited round of mouth-to-mouth and pounding at his diaphragm every now and then, which seems to work, albeit not without considerable protest from the injured fellow. You stand by the team of three guards by the shore as you collectively observe the procedure, unsure if your help is really needed. You linger there a while longer as the Worm-knight also climbs over with a conspicuous clanking of plate armor, the relief of having lost nothing of value very much evident on her normally grave face.

"Hmm. How are you doing, Daniels? Got up to much recently?"
What's this all about?

You would guess it's about the old dealings of the blacksmith and Mr. Daniels. You can't shake the feeling he is somehow displeased. On the other hand, Mr. Daniels has the unnerving tendency of looking at everyone like an insect of some variety, so maybe this is more a general state of overall displeasure.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »

Jack's countenance lightens somewhat.

"Ah, good! You haven't forgotten. I do have a sliver of perfection on/in/with my person, matter of fact. If you've any more specific instructions for me, give 'em now.

Oh, and yeah questions."

He focuses intently on the blacksmith.

"You're absolutely certain that replacing my hand would remove my murder-thought? Entirely sure. Not telling a falsehood to your knowledge in any way whatsoever. Because if you were, out of fear of me or somesuch, now would be a good time to fess up."

Was your lie intentional?
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 09, 2016, 05:16:54 pm »

"Sorry. Underground rooms tend to have too good acoustic properties." Leif squats down, pokes the falchion, wonders what in Eitri's name he did wrong and tries to fix it. "Tell me when it looks real enough."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 09, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »

"I suppose we should deliver that report now?"

Do so.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 10, 2016, 01:51:04 pm »

"Ah. I'll leave you two to catch up..."
Stretch legs a little and look around to see if anything interesting's happening in the courtyard.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 10, 2016, 02:42:26 pm »

Jack's countenance lightens somewhat.

"Ah, good! You haven't forgotten. I do have a sliver of perfection on/in/with my person, matter of fact. If you've any more specific instructions for me, give 'em now.

Oh, and yeah questions."

He focuses intently on the blacksmith.

"You're absolutely certain that replacing my hand would remove my murder-thought? Entirely sure. Not telling a falsehood to your knowledge in any way whatsoever. Because if you were, out of fear of me or somesuch, now would be a good time to fess up."

Was your lie intentional?

A sliver of perfection is probably not actually necessary. Instead, material would be appreciated. Exotic material with properties that lend themselves to making good armor. Show him the sliver. If it is adequate and suitably auspicious, and you can find more of it, there should be no issue creating a suit of functional armor for you.

As for replacing your hand... the blacksmith bends down to look at your hand carefully, then at your murder-thought, which grazes silently above the chapel door, poised to drop on anyone in passing. He looks over the hand, poking it slightly. You wince with a somewhat surprising amount of lingering pain, and your thought jumps a little in its position. He inclines his head one way, then the other.

The mangling of your hand and the creation of the thought were probably connected if the process by which he made it did anything at all, and even if it didn't there may be some property of you that was manipulated to produce it. If he were to employ his best present judgment, it would stand to reason that fixing your hand would somehow affect your ineffable weaponry. How that would be, however, is beyond him to say. Would it cease to be? Become stronger? Remain in place? He was on something of a desperation high when he made it, and some time afterward as well, so you might not want to apply skepticism to some of the "insights" produced in this fashion. After all, he is fairly sure this particular miracle is non-reproducible. With his PRESENT understanding, mind you.

If you are interested in something more concrete, he could work on a metal hand as a replacement if you gave him some time to study your thought in a controlled environment, see what it is and what could be done with it. Quite a lot, he imagines, and you spot a little gleam in his eye. And Mr. Wilde could probably help with his expertise if he wishes. Would a lens help target it, or a horn improve its properties? So many questions! BUT, all these can be resolved. It would be an excellent test on many levels. He smiles as he stands up and meets your gaze. The process could be streamlined, understood, optimized, improved, its limits tested, met, crossed, broken. Don't you agree?

"Sorry. Underground rooms tend to have too good acoustic properties." Leif squats down, pokes the falchion, wonders what in Eitri's name he did wrong and tries to fix it. "Tell me when it looks real enough."

The illusion's working fine on your end, you're not sure what her problem is. Maybe a congenital defect. Or lack thereof that you could exploit. You look at Lee, who stares unamused, and grab the falchion in the other hand.

[I Have The Power: 6]

You dial the heat up a little, and the light up some more, and the room is slowly illuminated as the falchion grows white hot. You look at Lee, but she is unconvinced, so you go brighter, hotter, faster! The falchion bends, and you drop it again. This time it hits the ground wetly, deforming a bit. Do you see, you proclaim! No, says Lee. See what? The falchion continues to glow and emit rippling heat and a bit of smoke as it loses coherence, slowly melting into a puddle. Do you see, you ask, and Lee once again says no. You point at the puddle, it's right there! Are you blind, woman? Lee looks down. She doesn't appear to see anything. Okay, you give up, you say, and the puddle slowly transitions back to a red heat, then calms down to ordinary darkish iron.

"I suppose we should deliver that report now?"

Do so.

Deliver the report, yes, the Worm-knight says, and also the new prisoner. She pokes the paranoid guard and gets the other guards present to help, all of them grabbing the stout fellow and lifting him up. They try a rather risky arrangement of each one holding a limb, but give up soon enough and the largest guard just throws the fellow over her shoulder and you move along. The drawbridge lowers readily, and the main gate welcomes you, a few guardsmen looking excited by your find, following along. A couple go to call up more of their comrades, it seems, as by the time you reach the courtyard guards appear to be converging on you from all sides, eager to hear news of your scouting trip. Do they have food there? Are there many stout folk? Is the whorehouse still open? The questions almost immediately blend together, and the Worm-knight merely lowers the visor on her helmet as you walk forward while your companion guard just fidgets and responds evasively, looking uncomfortable at being swarmed like this.

"Ah. I'll leave you two to catch up..."
Stretch legs a little and look around to see if anything interesting's happening in the courtyard.

Ooh! Mr. Minstep and his fellows seem to have returned, and they're bearing a stoatman prisoner. Or that's what you hear from the assembling crowd of guards. By the time you notice a hubbub by the gate about twenty guards are already pestering them. You notice the captain of the guard observing impassively, and slightly behind him a man with a shaven head and a scarified eye on his forehead who seems to be observing the people with a stare so blank you can't help but insert a variety of evil thoughts into it.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:17:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:45 pm »

"I have it on very good authority that replacing or repairing my hand wouldn't damage the murder-thought. You can see how I might've thought you were trying to excersise some sort of control over me. I am interested in your offer of refining it, I must say, but I'd rather focus first on the armor. The sliver I have is somewhat immaterial, you should know beforehand. I'll show it to you nonetheless if it cooperates."

Take blacksmith off my 'potential murder' list, and if he agrees show him perfect SILENCE.
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 10, 2016, 03:23:49 pm »

"Perhaps lightsaber would have been better idea..." Leif sighs. He tries to enjoy some imaginary mead (non poetry variant), and climbs up to check whether it is morning yet or not. Also combine the iron spear head with improvised quarterstaff.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:19:12 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 10, 2016, 05:04:15 pm »

"Yes, yes, all in good time, but business first!  We must deliver the report!"  It wouldn't do to delay a report to Mr. Munderley.  This is just the same idea.

Push on through, no time to waste!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 10, 2016, 05:26:29 pm »

Hm, having a stoat friend seems useful around these parts.

"Yeah, I'm heading south. And I think I would appreciate some company on the road. When could you be ready to set out?"
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 161