Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258286 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1410 on: August 04, 2016, 08:05:43 am »

"Oh, excellent, you've finished that Measure of yours. Let's see it, then. How does it work, if you don't mind me asking?"
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:49 pm »

"Okay, I think the idea is there, but let's try again with a bit more coordination, yes?  Let's all get ready first this time."

Everyone get ready.  Then we try again.

Okay, you say, how about you try that again, but this time they warn you. You make ready as your two companions and their passenger get back on the branch. They swing the body one way like a sack of potatoes, then the other way. And a heave, a ho, and a heave-ho!

[Extraordinary Catch: 2]

This time you do catch him on the way up. Which rather unfortunately does leave your arms completely occupied with assuring a good hold on the man and not, say, with keeping yourself on top of the tree.

[From On High: 1]

The result is that you, cradling the fellow manfully in your arms as he is hurled right up into your embrace, go tumbling headlong from the tree, landing heavily on the ground beneath as the combined weight of yourself and your cargo comes crashing down on your ribcage, the stout fellow bouncing off your carcass as you come to a painful rest on your back. It feels like some integral part of you has cracked in the process, rather unfortunately, though luckily the stout fellow seems to have not been particularly harmed by the fall. Providing insurance in more ways than one, you chuckle, which is accompanied by a violent stabbing pain as your lungs touch something sharp and jagged in your abdominal cavity.

Hm, I might have to leave soon. Better get to the point. First, another swig of whiskey. "You sound like you're kind of familiar with the area. Do you know where that old road nearby leads to? I want to know my options before I set out again."

Old road? He scratches his chin. Which one do you mean? 'Cause he only saw one between King's Bridge and here. You mention the fork in the road, with only of the paths still cobbled, and he thinks a moment. Hey, he says. Hey. Heyyyy...

... hey, that's right! There was another one. Led to some village... yeah, name of the bloody place slips his mind, though. Some rural place. He didn't go there when they passed the first time, no sir. That was the other detachment, he says as he munches on a boiled potato liberally sprinkled with dill. Probably. Or was he with that detachment? Hell if he remembers. All these bloody towns and villages look the same anyway, he says, refilling your glass with whisky as he sees you take another swig, this one making your eyes a little misty as it burns a little. Have some food too, the stoat suggests, poking at your dinner-to-be with his own lightly stained fork.

A gallon of water should be enough. For irrigation. Leeks, like all other plants, need water to grow. Leif isn't much of farmer, so he have to rely on leeks being wise enough to grow on their own.

Check how honey is coming along. High five bees for being such awesome bunch. Leif has all faith they have made enough honey, so he starts working with first batch of mead of poetry. Flavour it with a drop of wisdom water. Sample finished product liberally and share with bees, they deserve it!

You keep your plants watered like the Arctic desert. This does not appear to be much of a problem for them, their inscrutable plant-like ministrations producing crops all on their own. Leeks grow on good land - and this land, you think, is best of all. Ideal, you could even say.

[A Most Uncommon Mead: 5]

The honey's come in admirably well in the short while that you've left the bees to it, and you scoop a generous helping of it out of Kvasir's skull and make your first batch of mead with it. It's not the largest batch - only so much blood that you can squeeze out of a god, so you only get a small keg of mead even after you've watered it a little with Mim's wisdom. Pleased at the results, you have a small sip.

The veil of your realm parts for a second as the mead touches your tongue, and you find yourself floating a little above your body, the room looking bright as daylight to your eye and glimmering in places, seams in the walls outlining shapes of doors that once were, chambers now filled with concrete. You look up, and see the stars connect in unusual and unfamiliar patterns. For a second you feel like you could touch them, but by then the veil has closed, leaving you holding the keg in the middle of your realm once more. Potent stuff.

"Oh, excellent, you've finished that Measure of yours. Let's see it, then. How does it work, if you don't mind me asking?"

Simply, the blacksmith replies, handing you the measure as he unwraps it - it seems to be a skull laden with gold, with blue glass eyes that stare out with an unusual light. The skull regards you coldly, and you feel a brief pull as you look it in the eye, one that takes a few moments to identify as not at all originating in your own mind. Deirdre looks over your shoulder as you examine it, and seems considerably more unnerved by the stare she receives in return.

Keep it wrapped, the blacksmith instructs. When you need to collect something peculiar - water, wind, light, anything that can be said to not be alive, point it toward the phenomenon, and it will be ended, and its knowledge digested for your benefit. His best work yet, he comments. Steeped in destiny and mystical revelation, yet entirely reproducible, should one feel like gathering its rarest ingredients.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 04, 2016, 01:15:20 pm »

"Oh boys, this stuff is good! Better save it for special occasions only."

Now what was that about stars? Replicate the star pattern here on my own skies for later reviewing.
Next, I suppose it is time to wake up and practice new minding techniques. Namely automatic illusions, a construct that constantly seeks out minds nearby and projects specific visual component without me having to do it. Because now that I'm not only evangelist of Ęgir but also agent of apocalypse, I need to upgrade my image. Glowing eyes would be nice touch. Flaming sword too.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 04, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »

"Ouch," Thomas wheezed out.  "Okay, you know what?  You figure it out.  I'm going to take a nap by this tree.  Goodnight."

Enough helping for the day.  I am taking a nap by this tree whether they like it or not.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 05, 2016, 11:45:25 am »

"Interesting. Very... useful, too. Are there any limitations to its use I should know about? And is there anything I can do for you in return?"
Follow the blacksmith's advice and wrap the measure up.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: August 05, 2016, 12:55:19 pm »

"Oh, I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of a meal." I gesture towards the female stoat if I see her, or just towards the far end of the room if not.

That said, maybe there's something tempting enough to take a bite of. I examine the food on my plate.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: August 05, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »

I AM RETURNED FROM MY RELATIVE GOEGRAPHICALBACKYARD

COMMENCE PLAN EXECUTION
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 06, 2016, 11:50:16 am »

"Oh boys, this stuff is good! Better save it for special occasions only."

Now what was that about stars? Replicate the star pattern here on my own skies for later reviewing.
Next, I suppose it is time to wake up and practice new minding techniques. Namely automatic illusions, a construct that constantly seeks out minds nearby and projects specific visual component without me having to do it. Because now that I'm not only evangelist of Ęgir but also agent of apocalypse, I need to upgrade my image. Glowing eyes would be nice touch. Flaming sword too.

You can't really replicate something you had but a quick glimpse of. It's barely a blip in your short-term memory, let alone within your ability to recall. Just a bunch of lines in the sky.

[Harbinger's Eyes: 4]

You don't think it's too hard to make your eyes luminous. At least in the catlike sense. You could pretty easily clarify the image of your eyes in somebody's mind to the point where they'd look like they were glowing in the dark. Actually burning eyes would probably require slightly more drastic changes.

[Burning Anvil of Steel: 6]

As for making a sword burn, that's pretty easy. You make your sturdy falchion seem red hot in no time. This does, however, complicate holding it somewhat. You consider trying the same thing on your eyes, but before you can quite manage that a rare better impulse takes hold of you and you decide to hold off. You do kind of need your eyes, after all, while you can drop the falchion whenever you need. Or juggle it between hands like a hot potato.

"Ouch," Thomas wheezed out.  "Okay, you know what?  You figure it out.  I'm going to take a nap by this tree.  Goodnight."

Enough helping for the day.  I am taking a nap by this tree whether they like it or not.

Napping is easily manageable, if only because moving would hurt much, much more at this point. You let the pain slowly fade from your bones as you relax. You probably shouldn't overexert yourself. Hardly a spring chicken anymore, after all.

[The Brain Trust: 5]

Meanwhile, both the Worm-knight and the guard spend a little while thinking, and come to the stellar realization that maybe they should just tie the rope a little lower. The guard climbs up and brings it down to the 7-foot branch, which seems to solve the problem quite adequately. He congratulates the Worm-knight on her quick thinking. You hear the distant laughter of the other guards on the other side of the river, their entertainment quota for tonight met and soundly exceeded.

[Distant Silhouettes: 6]

You think you see something else in the distance as you incline your head a little. Something behind the guards, barely illuminated by their lantern light. Two shadows, one tall, one considerably shorter, standing still and silent.

"Interesting. Very... useful, too. Are there any limitations to its use I should know about? And is there anything I can do for you in return?"
Follow the blacksmith's advice and wrap the measure up.

The measure feels much less dangerous when wrapped up. Is much less dangerous, the blacksmith pointedly corrects despite you not really saying anything aloud. And when you do unwrap it next time, feed it a phenomenon. Otherwise it'll start to lose its edge. Don't feed obviously living things to it. Or very large things unless they can be easily sampled.

As for what he wants, WELL. Another revelation would certainly not go amiss. It is BRILLIANT to work in semi-certainty, and prophecy can be better than destiny. But those are so very unpredictable. So a more concrete benefit may be useful. He thinks a moment, then looks at the gate. Since the issue of the siege appears to have been effectively resolved, it may be time to leave. Are you planning to leave? He would more than gladly appreciate the possibility of learning more in your presence, or even from you directly.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of a meal." I gesture towards the female stoat if I see her, or just towards the far end of the room if not.

That said, maybe there's something tempting enough to take a bite of. I examine the food on my plate.

Eh, says the stoatman, she'll live. She's got a larder like you wouldn't believe. And that's after the army took her share, hahah! And they say looting isn't a sustainable lifestyle. The innkeeper scowls toothily at your drinking buddy as he helps himself to another glass.

As for the food on the plate, there's green peas, sweet potatoes, some red sauce, a few balls of fresh cheese, a steak glazed with what you think is honey, and some bread and jam for dessert. Despite being smaller than the stoat's meal, it's still more than enough to keep you fed. And it does smell incredibly nice.

I AM RETURNED FROM MY RELATIVE GOEGRAPHICALBACKYARD

COMMENCE PLAN EXECUTION

[Navigating The Asshole Ocean: 6]

You haven't really made all that much progress presently, but you have figured some things out. For one, that the woman you were looking for seems to be the commander of the royal guard. You also found out that she's currently briefing the queen on something. Once you started heading that way they started to say something else, but you didn't really listen after that point and just left them to their own devices. They did follow you after that, but you went with the classic strategy of letting them talk to the hand if they got in the way. Nobody seemed willing to make enough of an issue of it that you had to get more serious. Mostly they were just bewildered and frustrated.

In any case, after some shoving, questioning and circumvention, you are finally here at the queen's suite, having just opened up the door. Within the queen's suite is the commander you've been looking for. She is sitting by the side of the queen, who is a teenaged fair-haired girl, the very image of a princess even in what look like her traveling clothes. On the queen's other side, sidled up quite close to her, is an elderly, formidably whiskered fellow. Both the queen and the man seem to have been listening intently to the commander until your arrival, at which point all three of them look your way.

Well, says the queen with considerable surprise, looking you over for a few seconds. The elderly man gasps and moves to cover her eyes, which the queen just sort of awkwardly ducks away from, getting up from her chair in the process. The commander stands up as well. For god's sake, man, she says exasperatedly, couldn't you have at least got yourself some clothes before coming in here? The man, still sat down, seems to be struck mute by your appearance, and looks about to say something several times before helplessly looking at the commander again.

Should they remove you, three guards out of the dozen or so behind you say in unison. You sense a shuffling behind you as a semblance of a formation is attained, and weapons are resolutely drawn. Not yet, says the commander. What do you want, she asks? Raid's not on yet. And won't be until the scouts return.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 06, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

Thomas yawned a bit.  "What's that over there?" he said, gesturing in the appropriate direction.  That done, he settles back down for just five more minutes.  Or so.

Indicate, then nap more.  Ignore protests.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 06, 2016, 04:39:29 pm »

Daniels raises an eyebrow, obviously unconcerned by the guards.

"Oh, it's not? Okay, let me know when it is. Or send somebody to find me, I'll stay mostly within the castle walls.

And to answer your question about clothes, if you have any I'll take them, but otherwise I've stopped bothering. I tried looking for them at one point, but I was in a hurry, couldn't find any."

His gaze slides over to the queen.

"So you're the queen then? Good luck raising your country out of the indeterminable shitmire it's apparently sunk into for some reason. Now then, good day to you all, I'm off to find the blacksmith."

Stroll out of the keep, idly considering venting my growing frustrations on the majordomo. Refrain from this for now, however, and see if the blacksmith is anywhere to be seen, or still in his hut.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 07, 2016, 05:35:08 am »

Hmm, I suspect it won't be good if wielder is affected by the heat too much. Try to limit how much the illusion affects word's wielder. Especially the heat part.

Then, if the sword is still something I can hold in my hands, sneak around taking stock of the room. See if I can find those almost invisible lines indicating sealed door frames.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:41 am »

Well... I haven't eaten since I got here. Do I even need to eat as a weird magical rat-construct? Also... honey-glazed steak? I assess my bodily urges, specifically whether I feel hungry. Either way, I eat a couple of the cheese balls and try a bit of the steak and sweet potatoes. I wash it down with more whiskey.

As I eat I make a little small talk. "So what's the other road you mentioned between here and King's Bridge?"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:37:58 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 07, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »

"An interesting offer. At the moment I must say 'probably', although there are a few things I should do before I leave. Not least work out where I'm going, preferably.
What's your name, by the way? I've suddenly realised that I haven't asked."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:17 am »

Thomas yawned a bit.  "What's that over there?" he said, gesturing in the appropriate direction.  That done, he settles back down for just five more minutes.  Or so.

Indicate, then nap more.  Ignore protests.

[Looking Sharp: 1]

You sort of point at the other side of the river, where the shadows lurk motionlessly behind the guards, asking what's over there. Guards, replies the guard as he lifts the stout fellow up to the tree branch. And also uncountable monsters of the night. He looks around for a moment. Best not linger. Well, you suppose, that's that pointed out. You stretch a little, your range of motion seemingly permitting as much now, yawning as you close your eyes.

[Taking Care Of Business: 1]

You awaken as there is a sudden scrambling and panic. You smack your lips sleepily as you take a more refreshed look around.

[Desperate Fishing Techniques: 6]

You notice the guard, now fully disrobed, dive into the river heedless of the obvious danger, smacking right into a similarly disrobed and weakly struggling stout fellow as he is carried downstream. From inertia alone the two of them start to float toward the other side as the Worm-knight stomps around the shore, looking deeply concerned as she shouts for the guard to get the fellow out as soon as possible.

Huh. And those shadows seem to be gone from the other side. How odd.

Daniels raises an eyebrow, obviously unconcerned by the guards.

"Oh, it's not? Okay, let me know when it is. Or send somebody to find me, I'll stay mostly within the castle walls.

And to answer your question about clothes, if you have any I'll take them, but otherwise I've stopped bothering. I tried looking for them at one point, but I was in a hurry, couldn't find any."

His gaze slides over to the queen.

"So you're the queen then? Good luck raising your country out of the indeterminable shitmire it's apparently sunk into for some reason. Now then, good day to you all, I'm off to find the blacksmith."

Stroll out of the keep, idly considering venting my growing frustrations on the majordomo. Refrain from this for now, however, and see if the blacksmith is anywhere to be seen, or still in his hut.

Bring the man some clothes, the commander instructs the guards. A few scramble out to comply with the order. And the signal to gather for the raid will be when the castle forces gather in the courtyard. She assures you this will be hard to miss.

You turn to the queen, and give her your best wishes. Er, she says. Interestingly put... thank you? You nod and head off on your business, leaving the ladies and single gentleman to whatever nonsense they were talking about.

[Scavenging In Force: 4]

A thin, smiling guardswoman slinks out of a particular room, presenting to you a red, comfy-looking vest made of velvet. A woman you are fairly sure is her sister slides out right after, offering a matching set of breeches with a gold trim. A third guard, quite serious-looking, comes out of a different room with a pair of what you think are riding boots. You collect all these under your arm and continue heading out, at which point the guards hovering around near you disperse.

Fortunately for you, the blacksmith is quite easily found by going outside and looking around, which reveals him standing near Mr. Wilde and his girl friend, apparently discussing something as Mr. Wilde cradles an object draped in black cloth. You stroll up, and consider whether it would be poor form to dress while engaging in a conversation. The girl reacts to your presence by stepping behind Mr. Wilde, and the blacksmith raises an eyebrow as the conversation reaches a sudden lull with your appearance.

Hmm, I suspect it won't be good if wielder is affected by the heat too much. Try to limit how much the illusion affects word's wielder. Especially the heat part.

Then, if the sword is still something I can hold in my hands, sneak around taking stock of the room. See if I can find those almost invisible lines indicating sealed door frames.

An illusion is in the eye of the beholder. You need to actually focus on somebody in particular to make illusions work as-is. It's elementary to turn your sword's heat off, of course, but then it doesn't glow or look terribly fiery. Not to you, anyway, and there isn't really anyone else about that you can affect to check. How confusing.

[Detect Secret Doors: 6]

You hold off on the burning for now and check the walls in the spots where you recall some seams being, and yes, they are still there as you approach and give the potential door a thorough feeling up. Subtle, but you're fairly sure you're dealing with a secret door here. The trick to opening it, you realize soon enough, is applying enough physical force. Just how much is up for debate, but some pushing, punching and quite a lot of swearing later you're pretty sure that about a jackhammer's worth would do it. You begin to consider where you might find a convenient jackhammer to unlock the passage when you notice Lee staring at you from her bedroll with an unmoving reptilian stare, the sudden glow of your illusion kicking into gear producing only the slightest of blinks.

Well... I haven't eaten since I got here. Do I even need to eat as a weird magical rat-construct? Also... honey-glazed steak? I assess my bodily urges, specifically whether I feel hungry. Either way, I eat a couple of the cheese balls and try a bit of the steak and sweet potatoes. I wash it down with more whiskey.

As I eat I make a little small talk. "So what's the other road you mentioned between here and King's Bridge?"

You don't feel too hungry, truth be told, but you do feel like eating with all this food about. Only polite, after all. The cheese balls remind you of mozzarella, though they seem to be spiced with a bunch of things, notably caraway. Steak's a bit on the well-done side, and the sweet potatoes are executed more competently than you expected. And, of course, the whisky is still whisky, and there's plenty of that to be had. You have a sip or two of that, and you find it strong enough to cleanse your palate adequately.

The stoatman has some more whisky himself as you ask him the question. Other road, he says. Huh. Other road. There's another road between here and King's Bridge? Is it shorter? You tell him he mentioned this other road, and he replies that he was probably drunk when he said that, and laughs for a good five seconds, going from a dazed giggle to a mixture of a snicker and a hiccup.

Yeah, he eventually says. Speaking of! What's a lovely girl like you doing out on the ride this... late at night? Early in the morning? Both? Bugger if he knows anymore.

"An interesting offer. At the moment I must say 'probably', although there are a few things I should do before I leave. Not least work out where I'm going, preferably.
What's your name, by the way? I've suddenly realised that I haven't asked."

He has been trying to think of a better name for himself as of late, the blacksmith confides. His name's actually Nately, Deirdre mentions in an offhand tone. The blacksmith frowns. Technically correct, he admits. But not a name he enjoys. Unimportant! As for a direction, may he suggest north? There are many secrets where the world angles rightly into an incongruous corner, and unknown scholars work to end time itself. The distant west as well - the Land of El is the birthplace of alchemy, and the home of wonders uncountable. South lie the holdings of the New and Glorious State of the stoatfolk, all as one eager to cleanse their destinies, and far to the east are the northwest borders of the Kingdom of the Dead, where all things eternal lie. Or closer still there is-

The blacksmith stops, looking over with a raised eyebrow at the sudden appearance of one Mr. Daniels, who seems to have come bearing, though not wearing clothes. Deirdre takes a step to put you between him and herself, looking slightly concerned. You silently wonder as a gentle scraping is heard from the chapel wall if it actually requires any effort for Mr. Daniels to appear frankly menacing or if it's a natural talent he's discovered.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:38 am »

"Good morning." Leif whispers. "I think it is morning anyway. Hard to be sure down here. But! I think we have a secret door here! Opening it seems to require some muscle, as I just discovered. Oh, and does this seem like real fire to you? Hot and all?" He asks while poking the sword.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 161