Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258493 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1290 on: July 10, 2016, 08:48:47 am »

Thomas shook his head as he pulled one last clinging fish from the guard.  "If you're done playing around, can we get on?"

Get on with it
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 10, 2016, 08:59:32 am »

"Oh come on now. You really want to go through all this trouble for a stoat? Haul him back into the castle and he'll probably escape and eat your face in the night. Happened to my sister, you know. I've been itching for a little payback ever since. Give me five minutes alone with this one and you'll never have to worry about it again."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:38 pm »

"Guessing that's a no or something then! Best of luck, I put a handhold in the cavern ceiling if you need it!"

Guess I'm back to extradimensional cheating. Ah well.

Let's do the finding of the unimportant people for the purposes of well information. Go to the servant's quarters again and say that one girl I took away earlier wanted help with something from whoever I pick, maybe.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 10, 2016, 12:28:15 pm »

"Perfect. Just perfect. In that case, do you think you could get your hands on a ten-foot pole or something similar? Oh, and a light source, possibly climbing equipment, or anything else which could be useful. I need to find someone quickly - meet you back here in a few minutes - thanks!"
Go hunting for Ms. Minett; I need to have a chat about Words.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 10, 2016, 02:27:04 pm »

"I'm pretty new for this minding business, like... wait, umm, it hasn't even been one day since I learned this? Whatever. I want to treat your wounds, but as Lee said, it may be wiser to move somewhere else for now."

Untie the poor man and carefully give him a piggyback ride wherever Lee sees fit to lead us.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 11, 2016, 02:39:11 pm »

Thomas shook his head as he pulled one last clinging fish from the guard.  "If you're done playing around, can we get on?"

Get on with it

[Get On With It: 6]

Indeed, says the Worm-knight with some derision, and the guard coughs out a lungful of water in similar approval. So you should be going along in... wait, you say. You think you hear something. It's hard to say what you hear, or even whether you really hear it as such. It's like a slight twinkling you find, settling in your jaw as it sets your teeth on edge.

[Immediate Orientation: 4]

It's not in the town's direction, you notice. Instead, over there, you think... where the trees get thin, and the ground has turned black... there's something there, you notice as you start walking in line behind the Worm-knight, who looks back at you, seemingly not having noticed anything at all.

"Oh come on now. You really want to go through all this trouble for a stoat? Haul him back into the castle and he'll probably escape and eat your face in the night. Happened to my sister, you know. I've been itching for a little payback ever since. Give me five minutes alone with this one and you'll never have to worry about it again."

[Raising Good Points: 6]

On one hand, you do have a point in that the last time they had a prisoner like this it did escape and try to kill the queen! And that's not at all acceptable by any definition of security. The guard considers this. But on the other hand it didn't actually hurt anyone terribly severely when it did, and the castle did get an incredibly grisly public sacrifice of the stoat responsible to whatever god of endless terror the captain worships.

She turns to the stoat, thoughtfully scratching her chin. How would it like to be part of an incredibly grisly public sacrifice to a god of endless terror? The stoat shrinks back very noticeably. That's a no, the guard assumes. Bit of a shame, she says, that last one was pretty impressive. Surely it heard the thing howl and beg for mercy out in the field, yes? In human words, no less! You notice the stoatman's expression change. In quite an unexpected way, no less. Impotent anger only barely repressed by fear. The look of a man who knows he's about to die, more than likely.

Tell you what, the guard says, you can have this one. But she gets to look as well. Least she can ask for, if not for herself, then at least for all the people who-

You, the guard and even the stoatman hear somebody screaming at you from a distance. It's Mr. Wilde, approaching fast. Seems he has some Words for you.

"Guessing that's a no or something then! Best of luck, I put a handhold in the cavern ceiling if you need it!"

Guess I'm back to extradimensional cheating. Ah well.

Let's do the finding of the unimportant people for the purposes of well information. Go to the servant's quarters again and say that one girl I took away earlier wanted help with something from whoever I pick, maybe.

[Warm Welcome: 4]

The good news, you find in the servants' quarters, is that they don't quite put two and two together when you pipe up about wanting to abduct more people for your sinister purposes.

The bad news of course is that there's still no way in hell anybody would willingly go with a naked guy they saw straight-up eat a stoatman whole in the courtyard and heft a whole person like a feather. Who also appears to have undergone a round of self-mutilation, has been seen in the company of the second-scariest people in the castle (only by virtue of having personally outpaced them in obvious menace, mind you), and possesses both a very literal death stare accompanied by a strange darkness behind the eyes that alternates between horrifyingly devoid of human sentiment and disturbingly inviting.

Point is, you score really quite uniquely high on basically any metric for stranger avoidance, and oddly enough nobody who's stupid enough to engage you in conversation seems to have any idea what you mean when you mention that lady whose name you never bothered to learn. Even when you mention her calling you an idjit, which you think would be specific enough.

"Perfect. Just perfect. In that case, do you think you could get your hands on a ten-foot pole or something similar? Oh, and a light source, possibly climbing equipment, or anything else which could be useful. I need to find someone quickly - meet you back here in a few minutes - thanks!"
Go hunting for Ms. Minett; I need to have a chat about Words.

Thinking of searching around down there? She'd really advise against it, if only because she'd rather not go down there with you. There's basically nothing good in there at all if half of what she's heard has some basis in fact. But she can get you some stuff. Especially if you can wait until the guards inevitably decide to loot the siege camp and countryside for needed supplies. Before that might be a little tricky. But since you are some kind of summoned champion of the powers that be, she guesses she'd better try anyway, right?

Having agreed on this, you split for now, your attention turned to finding one Ms. Minett.

[Look Alive: 6]

You shout for her quite loudly for a bit, but there's no response, so you climb on a roof and shout for her from there - somebody tells you to get down from there before you hurt yourself, so you then climb on top of the castle wall and shout- oh wait, there she is on the field. Excellent! You go and find her, making sure to shout for her not to go anywhere, as you and her need to have some Words! You make sure to stress this at a polite 90 decibels and a tone sufficiently lacking in friendliness to not attain an ironic menace.

"I'm pretty new for this minding business, like... wait, umm, it hasn't even been one day since I learned this? Whatever. I want to treat your wounds, but as Lee said, it may be wiser to move somewhere else for now."

Untie the poor man and carefully give him a piggyback ride wherever Lee sees fit to lead us.

While he doesn't really have any working feet, and his one remaining working hand is a little flimsy as well, his starved arms and legs do lock around your body with a drowning man's desperation as you lift him out of the chair and put him on your back. He seems to be hanging in there just fine as you experimentally walk around the room. Lee, judging this to be sufficient, takes a look downstairs. Coast is still clear, so the three of you go downstairs.

The broken man seems extremely intrigued by the disemboweled stoatman on the ground, pointing at him with his working hand while emitting a slightly inarticulate sound of joy. Oh, he says! Joyous day! Tell him that he suffered before he died! Relay to him an ode to how he drowned in his own blood! Lee shoots him a sharp look while heading for the front door, but the man seems to not notice, next pointing to the other stoatman. Aha! A live one! Could you take him closer, please? And give him something sharp!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 11, 2016, 05:48:43 pm »

"I think it's over there, yes.  Whatever it is, and clearly something like that is meant to be investigated.  Come along, now."

Check it out, please.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:38 pm »

To the guard I mutter, "A close friend of mine. He'll want in on this."

Then I shout "Hey Wilde! I've got a situation I could really use your help with!"
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:29:09 am by penguinofhonor »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 12, 2016, 05:12:39 am »

"Hmm. That's ... wait, if those work like that ... the priest couldn't recognize my existence right after that ... so that's what they do. And if those do that, then those would ... no wonder you don't remember her.

Not important! One of you come with me, please, doesn't particularly matter which one."

Take one servant away and absorb their source! Or them, since technically they are the source if I'm understanding this right. Find a place relatively isolated where I won't be interrupted. Any random corner will hopefully do.

If I have to break some of their limbs in order to fulfil the requirement that they're helpless before I take their source, well, empathy's turning out to have been a rather large dump stat of mine.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 12, 2016, 06:00:07 am »

Is this living stoat one of the guys on mental trip or someone with relatively full control of his mind?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 12, 2016, 07:22:26 am »

Is this living stoat one of the guys on mental trip or someone with relatively full control of his mind?

He's actually the fellow you tackled and incapacitated. You even have his falchion.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 12, 2016, 11:49:59 am »

Huh. Weird. I don't remember disemboweling taking place recently. Beating, backstabbing and more beating, sure. Well, in that case:

"No can do buddy. I can kick him for you, but you have get your revenge later. I hear it is better served cold."

Make sure to kick the live stoat man on face while making our way to outside and somewhere safer in long term. Wherever Lee leads us. Maybe slightly towards castle Anglefork. Speaking of which, that's rather weird name. Angles don't fork. What's the history behind the name?
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 12, 2016, 07:31:49 pm »

If Wilde doesn't come over and greet me, I ask the guard to run and bring him over. "He's got to be part of this. Great at invoking terror and gristle and all that. I'll get our stoat friend ready."

Then, if she leaves, I lean down to the stoat. "Hey, I don't want to kill you. We have to get out of here now, though."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 06:18:56 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 13, 2016, 03:09:34 am »

"Coming!"
Run down there. Through the gate, mind. Don't get carried away.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 13, 2016, 06:28:16 am »

"Oh good, he's excited. We'll get more terror that way," I say to the guard. "Let's start getting ready. Could I borrow your weapon? I try to keep a sacrificial implement handy, but they're so hard to find during a prolonged siege."
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 161