Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258521 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Knights of the Far Beyond
« Reply #1260 on: July 03, 2016, 05:52:01 am »

I look for a mat or something to sleep on. A vacant camp should be camped in.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:27:05 am by penguinofhonor »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 03, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »

Doze a little longer. Might as well make the most of the peace and quiet while it lasts.

((I'm afraid I'll be off again for a few days. As per this tip of the day, I suppose the plan is to get out, try out a revelation regarding certain recent events and then find my companion if necessary.))
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 04, 2016, 04:20:01 am »

Pattern broken nicely. Leif nods approvingly. Perhaps my luck is changing. For a moment anyway.

Speaking about HUNGER, I got these berries I should eat before they spoil. And while I do that I stroll into that winery to find our collaborator. Not loudly or carelessly, but like a man who knows exactly what he's doing and where he belongs. Literally walking in my own footsteps.

After scarfing down the four tomato-sized berries you currently possess you wait a few seconds to confirm that they are not in fact highly poisonous. When this does not appear to be the case, you follow the path laid out before you. Through the door into one of the backrooms, turn the corner, get out into storage. Barrels everywhere, ample cover. The corpse of a stoat soldier, throat slit and bowels spilled. Lee's here, as one might expect, giving you a knowing nod as she sprints along the edge of the room. You duck behind a barrel, your expectation of a soldier arriving shortly coming to pass.

[Evasion: 1+1 vs. 2]

You hear him signal the intruder with a very controlled holler, trying to raise an alarm and expecting reinforcements as he runs after the obvious intruder retreating along the room. You hear Lee vault over a set of barrels as she tries to confound her pursuer, but you somehow doubt her ability to escape while remaining within a single room, large though the room in question may be. Especially now that she's been effectively seen. A disadvantage you do not seem to share, actually.

She leads the guard on a merry chase through the large main room, weaving between barrels with the intent of distraction rather than any effective attempt to escape, leaving you with some room to maneuver in the coming few seconds.

"Perhaps I should meet whoever's in charge here. I think I heard about a queen or something? Maybe she can tell me where I can meet ... humans of El or whatever the well wanted. Or maybe just ask around about that first. There's probably a librarian or diplomat or something here, right?

I'm nearby the keep right now, right? Go to the entrance and ask if there's anyone that knows where humans of El can be found. More specifically, where El is in relation to here, in case anyone tries being a smartass.

[Looking For Fools: 1]

You find a woman wearing a full suit of mail coming over to the keep's door. Before she's opened it up you're right next to her, question at the ready. Where could you find the humans of El, you ask.

She looks you over for a moment, paying attention chiefly to your destroyed hand, complete nakedness and air of solidified death. Hm. You're one of those, aren't you? Like Mr. Minstep? You have that quality about you.

She does not wait for an answer before moving on. Where were you during the attack? And what were you doing? She knocks on the door, and a guard opens up. She beckons the guard to come over here, and motions her to stand next to you for a moment.

"Ahhh... uh, rope.  Maybe one of you can work on getting the length right?  I'm not much for knots.  I'll... fix the hook?  Shouldn't be hard, right?

Right?  Fix the hook itself.

The hook's perfectly serviceable to, say, hook around a tree or something. Though the shape could use a little work, you suppose.

[Improvised Smithing: 5]

Fortunately, like it is with most props, this one too seems reasonably malleable with the right know-how and a little bit of back put into it. You bend it with your bare hands to more effectively serve the purpose of grappling and hooking, as it were. After a minute's manipulation you hold it up for inspection.

The Worm-knight, having observed your work, stares on for a second with a plainly worried expression that shines through the visor of her helmet. She takes the hook and gives it an experimental bend as well, the thing failing to budge an inch. She tries again, a bit more firmly this time, and it still holds. It's all in the technique, you tell her. She is silent for a few moments, then hesitantly appears to agree.

[A Cavalcade of Knots: 1]

Meanwhile, the other guy has started yelling about the ropes attacking him, and presently appears to be attempting to chew out of a labyrinth of knots he has entrapped himself in with a level of success that appears mildly counterproductive to your plans. It looks quite amusing, of course, but maybe now's not the time for such tomfoolery, you tell the man. He agrees in his own panicked and incoherent way, or at least you think he does. It's a little difficult to decipher his gibbering.

I look for a mat or something to sleep on. A vacant camp should be camped in.

[Lie Down Sally: 6]

You find a rather fine mess of tents at the front of one of the encampments, blown together and fallen in on themselves to provide a very excellent spot for an evening nap cushioned by what feels a lot like a whole bunch of supplies. You lie down atop the small hill of debris, finding it uniquely soft and... slightly moving?

You consider the shuffling beneath you. Feels like it's happening pretty deep down. Maybe at the very bottom of the pile, even.

Doze a little longer. Might as well make the most of the peace and quiet while it lasts.

You had not the slightest notion of how much you needed this bit of rest, you think as you stretch as much as the confined space permits. You're feeling almost better than new, and ready for a wonderful night of revelation and exploration. No doubt your companion's going to feel similarly.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 04, 2016, 04:34:27 am »

"Attack of what exactly? There's been a bunch. Also answer my question. Humans of El, where can I find them. Or stoatmen, provided you have any that aren't in the army across the wall."

Question for a question, lady.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 04, 2016, 06:35:35 am »

"Man, I can't get much rest today."

I dig around in the tents to see who's under there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:47:14 am by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 04, 2016, 07:27:22 am »

Time to channel nordic ice hockey players and perform most brutal and underhanded tackle I can muster. Seriously, almost every boy in nordic countries has tried ice hockey at least once. Leif is not an expection. And he is a bit of fan.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:02:01 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 04, 2016, 07:57:11 am »

Thomas sighed.  Someone has to be the comedic relief, he supposed.  Odd timing for it.

"All right now, let's give a hand."

Untangle the poor guy; maybe the three of us working together can make a useful rope.

- A labyrinth of chewed-up rope (contains guard)

:P

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 05, 2016, 11:25:15 am »

"Attack of what exactly? There's been a bunch. Also answer my question. Humans of El, where can I find them. Or stoatmen, provided you have any that aren't in the army across the wall."

Question for a question, lady.

The stoatman attack, the woman elaborates, another guard coming to join her and taking up a position on the other side of you. A desperate deployment of sinister sorcery, to put it succinctly, the summoning of a demonic force at the expense of their remaining numbers. That you feel the need to ask is somewhat interesting, though admittedly it's not like Mr. Minstep seems to be very perceptive either, so perhaps it's just a unique perspective.

Before she answers your questions, however, she would nevertheless prefer for you to inform her of what you've exactly been doing with your time, as it does not appear you've been idle, she points at your hand. And a naked man has been sighted repeatedly engaging in unusual activity, including, if she recalls correctly, intimidating the servants and even carrying the entire chapel window along the courtyard, she points at the chapel window you thoughtfully propped up near the blacksmith's place, still miraculously intact despite the pandemonium that seems to have overtaken the area (although you don't see the priest, interestingly enough).

That's not to say that she's compelling you to say anything, make no mistake. Interfering with the likes of you, judging from what the others have been up to, is a distinctly poor idea. She'd simply like you to give her an answer before she gives you what you want and you get bored and then wander off.

"Man, I can't get much rest today."

I dig around in the tents to see who's under there.

[Buried Treasures: 1]

You start to dig into the bits of canvas and supplies, and find that there's quite a mound under you, extending not only upward, but also into the ground. Rolling away barrels of pillaged goods, picking out bits of glass and a little bit of loose armor and weaponry, you get the feeling that this may take a while. As you keep digging, though, you start to hear a whimpering as well. You consider this a moment, and the pile shifts a little as you've been digging, suddenly cutting off the sound. Huh.

Time to channel nordic ice hockey players and perform most brutal and underhanded tackle I can muster. Seriously, almost every boy in nordic countries has tried ice hockey at least once. Leif is not an expection. And he is a bit of fan.

[Star of the Ice Rink: 6+1 vs. 2]

You wait a moment for Lee to pass by, assuming a low starting position to launch yourself from, and as you hear mailed footsteps approaching and the shadow of a soldier in scavenged armor looming you fly forward, impacting the soldier full-force and sending him flying along with you into the wall, his head smacking heavily into the bricks to the point where you can almost hear the ringing, your shoulder colliding solidly with the underside of his diaphragm. As you throw him to the ground face-first in his helpless state, the falchion in his left hand falls out of his hand and skips a little along the floor.

[An Effective Followup: 1+1 vs. 4]

Lee pounces upon the guard with immediate quickness, noticing his disoriented state, and sets about straddling the prone stoatman and plunging a knife into his neck only to be met with an unexpected burst of resistance as the guard flails and rolls, throwing her off-balance successfully before she can end his life, slipping out of her grasp as she falls backward in an awkward-looking fashion. She seems slightly embarrassed by this, but entirely unhurt.

[Powering Through: 3]

Alternating between coughing and weakly screaming for help, the soldier searches for his falchion in vain for a moment before his head properly clears, noticing both it and the two of you in the same look as he rolls on his back, looking suddenly terrified as he also can't help but notice a complete lack of reinforcements.

Thomas sighed.  Someone has to be the comedic relief, he supposed.  Odd timing for it.

"All right now, let's give a hand."

Untangle the poor guy; maybe the three of us working together can make a useful rope.

[Six Hands and Three Heads: 3]

You're frankly unsure how this even happened, but you eventually manage to free the guard from his rope-based prison, leaving a great big tangled knot in his wake, a work of sublime chaos to the point where you're not sure if it's even properly Gordian as you don't know if a sword would cut through it at all.

Nevertheless you begin unraveling. The Worm-knight sighs, expressing the sentiment that this may take a while. The guard, meanwhile, refuses to help, warning you about the dangers of tampering with so much rope in one go. It's more rope than man was meant to handle, he says.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 05, 2016, 11:56:59 am »

Let's continue in spirit of ice hockey fouls: High-sticking! Stabbing! Cross-checking! Unsportsmanlike conduct! Wait, scratch the last one. That goes beyond spirit of the game.
After that's done, I suppose I could let him surrender. Or let Lee stab him, if it turns out he doesn't want to live.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 05, 2016, 05:20:06 pm »

I call the ravenous guards over to help me clear the pile.

"Hey, this pile of junk looks especially... filling? I bet a person could just walk off with a hefty serving of this loot." If anyone is looking I gnaw on some canvas to appear more credible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 05, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »

"Oh. I missed that, I was in the shrine thingy next to the chapel ... praying. You could call it praying.

And as for what I've been doing, I've mostly been running errands for the blacksmith - I'm doing one right now, actually. Haven't really had time to bother with getting clothes, y'see. Do you know where the blacksmith is, by chance? I'm unfortunately suspective that he's wandered into a secret tunnel in the castle over thereabouts, but the fellow helping me look for him hasn't come out yet, which leaves me idle until then."

I suppose I could just take a connection from somebody and ask the well where he is, but I'll go through regular channels first.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 05, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »

Thomas sighed.  "I don't think a bit of rope is going to hurt you."

Go on, then.  Finish up the untangling and the affixing and the whatnot.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 06, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »

Let's continue in spirit of ice hockey fouls: High-sticking! Stabbing! Cross-checking! Unsportsmanlike conduct! Wait, scratch the last one. That goes beyond spirit of the game.
After that's done, I suppose I could let him surrender. Or let Lee stab him, if it turns out he doesn't want to live.

[The Gordie Howe Hat Trick: 5 vs. 3-1]

Well, first there's the high-sticking, and then you do a combination of stabbing and cross-checking. Since the referee doesn't really say anything, you do it a couple more times, effectively disabling your opponent after about twenty seconds' worth of some of the best hockey you've ever played. The stoatman, now quite beaten and given up all hope of victory, seems to have conceded this day to your superior sportsmanship.

You look over at Lee, the ultimate question implied but not said aloud. To stab or not to stab? Lee appears to have no strong feelings on the matter, going for the falchion lying on the ground, grabbing it and giving it a thoughtful practice swing. Seemingly satisfied, she asks whether you want it, already heading up the stairs.

I call the ravenous guards over to help me clear the pile.

"Hey, this pile of junk looks especially... filling? I bet a person could just walk off with a hefty serving of this loot." If anyone is looking I gnaw on some canvas to appear more credible.

[An Appetizing Pile: 1]

You find a nearby trio of guards currently biting the heads off of plucked crows they've fished out of a barrel of pickling solution, and point them to your fine pile o' loot. They seem skeptical, mostly due to the fact that there's nothing apparently edible in there, but your gnawing on the canvas gets them interested enough that they approach to get a closer look at least. One of them pokes the pile slightly, pulling out and disapprovingly examining a spear before stabbing it back into the pile. There is a sudden shifting of the pile, and you hear the barest of whimpers escape it, and it seems the guards do as well.

It takes a moment before one of the guards walks up and pulls the spear out decisively, causing another slight shift, and examines the tip. Aha, she says, noticing the distinct shape of red it appears to have turned. There is something good in that pile, she tells the other two. The smell of blood appears to excite them a little, and the other two fetch spears as well. Should be easy enough to fish it out in chunks, one of them, a short and slightly chubby woman proposes, and starts to stab the spear down into the pile, searching for where her quarry might be. The others quickly join her.

"Oh. I missed that, I was in the shrine thingy next to the chapel ... praying. You could call it praying.

And as for what I've been doing, I've mostly been running errands for the blacksmith - I'm doing one right now, actually. Haven't really had time to bother with getting clothes, y'see. Do you know where the blacksmith is, by chance? I'm unfortunately suspective that he's wandered into a secret tunnel in the castle over thereabouts, but the fellow helping me look for him hasn't come out yet, which leaves me idle until then."

I suppose I could just take a connection from somebody and ask the well where he is, but I'll go through regular channels first.

Evasive, but mildly informative. She supposes that'll do for now.

[The Guards Have Ears: 6]

Anyway, she doesn't know where the blacksmith is exactly. She was frankly surprised to see him climbing naked over his own roof, even if it was for the typical reason, since he had mostly confined himself in his quarters thus far. However, he was sighted walking across the courtyard with a skull in hand in the direction of the chapel, though the guard who saw it seems to have perplexingly thought nothing of it at the time, so more information is not forthcoming.

As for your other questions, you were looking for "humans of El"? Strangely specific. The "Wondrous Land of El", the commander offers with sarcastic air quotes, that's somewhat far away. About two hundred miles south and west, actually, though if it's just a man from El you're looking for, you may run into a merchant or, god forbid, one of their "traveling alchemists". Though admittedly these days the difference between them is becoming increasingly thin, or at least it was when the country wasn't completely ruined. Her intel of the outside world is a little lacking.

Speaking of, she can't help but notice you've got a certain air of menace about you. It's scratching at her temple as she speaks, she notices in a way that makes you draw it back with mild embarrassment, having let your murder wander a little while you were listening. And you were also looking for stoatmen, weren't you? Depending on when Mr. Minstep or anyone trailing him gets back and what they have to say, you may have an opportunity to meet some in an advantageous circumstance if you're interested.

Thomas sighed.  "I don't think a bit of rope is going to hurt you."

Go on, then.  Finish up the untangling and the affixing and the whatnot.

That sort of thinking is exactly what let the rope get the drop on him like that, he says. Never again.

[Master of Knots: 6]

Well, not all of the knots are within your ability to untie, you're sad to say. However, with the assistance of the Worm-knight you eventually manage to get six segments of 5 meters, one of 11 meters and another of a single meter, an unusual trick of physics if you've ever seen one. Retying these into a serviceable rope is fortunately much easier, even if it gets a little knobby and stiff in the process. You test it out, and find it to be suitable for attaching a grappling hook to, which is quite fortunate as you'd really be quite put out if you just wasted all this time for nothing.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:16 pm »

"I certainly have no objection to meeting stoatmen in an advantageous position. What opportunity would this be?"

Thanks for actually being helpful, guard. Now, what was this you said about free souls stoatys?
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 06, 2016, 01:11:29 pm »

"If you don't need it, then I wouldn't mind having it. Better keep it with us than let this guy keep it."

Do we have any rope here? Gotta tie the man down so he won't go bother his friend outside. Or if I fail to find any, make the stoat promise he won't go anywhere. Pinky promise. Enforced with lies about making him experience the pain of being nailed on ceiling with thousand nails. I'm a minder you know, I can do it.
Then, time to find our man. Or next member of opposing party.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 161