Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259009 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: A History of Disagreement
« Reply #810 on: March 19, 2016, 03:58:14 pm »

Let's hope Mr. Daniels has had more luck.
Head into the bedroom area.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 20, 2016, 04:50:57 am »

Ask around where minders might be and go where they are if I'm informed of their location. I need to steal more techniques. And remind them about one of the duties they have forgotten. Lady of the castle. Should probably meet her before going to deal with stouts.

[A Kind Word: 6]

You walk along the hallway and ask a passing guard if they've seen any minders. He says yes, they're down the hall of the other wing. That's convenient, you say, and the guard agrees - relocating the buggers here was the best idea anyone's had in a while. Not that there's much competition, mind you. He sighs. 'Tis a depressing place to be, under siege, wouldn't you agree? Especially on the night watch. At least he's not on wall duty tonight, what with all the weird things going on lately with false suns and explosions and what have you. Quiet nights are coming to an end, you mark his-

Yes, you think you'll be going now, you say as you start to stumble down the hallway. Wait, the guard says. You're going off to see the minders? You take a moment to think, then nod. The guard looks you over with concern. You seem to be rather drunk. Admittedly they have had a slightly loose policy on these things in the past, but there are children where you're going. He'd recommend you address this issue before continuing on. Or perhaps reconsider this course of action entirely.

"Right, that's it."

Yank her out of bed by the ankles. Ask again where clothes can be found.

Perhaps there's not quite enough blood going to her head. You see if you can correct this, and lift her up by the ankles while repeating your question.

[Rough Treatment: 3]

She's clearly not a morning person, you discover as her grumbling and confusion fails to abate. She does have a number of helpful suggestions as her sleep begins to clear, however, such as hey what the fuck man, how is she supposed to know where you put your clothes and why the hell can't you just check the laundry like a normal person.

Also, this altercation seems to have woken up quite a few other servants, some of whom watch nervously, with others considering stepping in to help their colleague. Another servant girl tells you to lay off her friend, you dirty naked idjit.

Kids.  Never helpful.

Maybe if I watch some more something will happen?

[A Shared Repose: 6]

As the kids sit there regarding the girl, you notice that their breathing appears to be in sync. As do their movements, although the boy you disturbed appears to lag behind a little, the gap between his movements narrowing as you continue to observe. One of the children floats up a little, then floats back down, then the same happens to the one to her left, and this continues, each child floating to a progressively greater height.

This continues for a while longer until one child reaches the height of the minder girl, where he hangs without floating down again - the pattern continues on until the girl is surrounded by a circle of floating children. One of them starts to drift back and clockwise, entering an orbit around the central girl. The others start to follow suit. The head girl becomes clearer in the dark, better-resolved. Brighter, even.

Of course, what this is all supposed to be, aside from a vaguely impressive display of special effects, is up for interpretation.

I move near the priestess' cot to see what's going on there.

You move to the cot to check on the priestess.

She is, however, gone. As is the corpse. The cot appears to have grown a little fuzzy and sweet-smelling where it lingered, but otherwise no trace remains of its passage, or of the priestess for that matter.

Let's hope Mr. Daniels has had more luck.
Head into the bedroom area.

You head to the servants' quarters and notice quite the commotion as Mr. Daniels interrogates a servant girl while holding her upside down, some of the other servants observing, some telling him to stop, one calling him a dirty naked idjit. Doesn't seem like he's making much progress.

On the other hand, at least you now have a pretty good idea of how the opening act of the Terminator would play out in fantasy medieval times.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 20, 2016, 04:58:12 am »

"Well fine then, where's the laundry? I need me some clothes. Well, not really, but it'd probably be nice. Point is, I'm getting them. Laundry directions please."

Wait.

"Belay that, possibly. I mean where can I get some clothes. I don't have any and neither does my companion, and we want some. Where can we get some?"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 20, 2016, 05:52:40 am »

"Drunk? Oh no, this imaginary drunk. The best kind drunkenness really. You can get very drunk very fast without drinking anything and sober up instantly when situation needs it. And I'm a bit of minder myself, you see."

Explaining benefits of imaginary drinks. And make him truly see. One Cormick's Condescending Riddle, coming up right now.
Since this situation is solved, proceed to steal techniques. Or copy.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 20, 2016, 07:49:01 am »

Woo, this is simultaneously really ominous and exactly what I hoped for. I move the cot over below the ceiling entrance and try to use it to climb up more easily.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:46 am »

Huh.  Pretty good effects, really; this is an odd way and place to spend special effects money.  Maybe this is just a rehearsal.

Sit and watch.  Good show; how's the payoff?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:06 pm »

Back away through the doorway. Nothing to see here...
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Tippler's Koans
« Reply #817 on: March 21, 2016, 10:41:09 am »

"Well fine then, where's the laundry? I need me some clothes. Well, not really, but it'd probably be nice. Point is, I'm getting them. Laundry directions please."

Wait.

"Belay that, possibly. I mean where can I get some clothes. I don't have any and neither does my companion, and we want some. Where can we get some?"

[A Straight Answer: 6]

The girl stops squirming a moment in your grasp as your remark gets her interest. Wait, did somebody steal yours? It wasn't her! She hasn't even seen you before! Yeah, wasn't her, the crowd echoes. They don't do that kind of thing. Yeah! If anyone did, it was probably those mason brothers, lousy good-for-nothings that they are! So why don't you go bother them for whatever clothes they've stolen from you, you dang filthy idjit. The last remark isn't quite as loudly approved of as the preceding ones, you notice, probably because most of these servants appear afraid of provoking you.

Nevertheless, you do believe you've been provided with some sort of direction.

"Drunk? Oh no, this imaginary drunk. The best kind drunkenness really. You can get very drunk very fast without drinking anything and sober up instantly when situation needs it. And I'm a bit of minder myself, you see."

Explaining benefits of imaginary drinks. And make him truly see. One Cormick's Condescending Riddle, coming up right now.
Since this situation is solved, proceed to steal techniques. Or copy.

[The New Way: 2]

You don't look imaginary drunk, the guard says. That may be, you reply. Maybe that's because he's the one who's imagining it. So really it's his own fault that you're going to visit a group of vulnerable children while nearly blasted out of your skull.

Unfortunately, he does not acknowledge the validity of your point, and any rebus you can conjure up at the moment is not the kind that makes any kind of sense to the guard. You guess you kind of need a certain blood alcohol content to properly understand wisdom of this caliber. Though to comprehend the concept of being imaginary-drunk, don't you need to... become imaginary drunk yourself? So the only way you can attain the knowledge is by already knowing it. Whoa.

Okay, seriously, whoa. You need a time out here. The guard sincerely agrees, and while you take a minute or five to try and remember the exact series of life choices that led you here in search of where exactly you crossed the paradox boundary (that is, if you crossed it all and didn't occupy the south side of it all along and whoa, you really should cut down on the epiphanies a little, they go right to your head) you find yourself suddenly in a different place. Downstairs, you take way too long to figure out, that's where. Man, you got here pretty fast. Wait, you were going to do something.

Sleep it off, comes a reply from behind you. The guard you remember from shortly before is looking at you sternly. Another guard observes impassively, seemingly glad for at least something to look at while on watch duty and seemingly sorely in need of a grapefruit or three.

Woo, this is simultaneously really ominous and exactly what I hoped for. I move the cot over below the ceiling entrance and try to use it to climb up more easily.

The cot is fairly old and loose, so detaching it from the wall is no trouble at all with a little application of the trusty old blade arm. You go ahead and drag it out by the ceiling entrance.

[Escape From The Pit: 6]

Of course, no sooner do you do this than you bump into your two friends again. The larger corpse seems to be facing you, one hand lifted to about your waist level, another up to your neck, both with palms up. At its foot the priestess seems to have knelt down on all fours, offering her back as a stepping stool for your convenience. She still seems to be breathing faintly, you notice, though she is completely silent.

Huh.  Pretty good effects, really; this is an odd way and place to spend special effects money.  Maybe this is just a rehearsal.

Sit and watch.  Good show; how's the payoff?

[The Big Finish: 4]

The girl's shape grows clearer, the rest of the room deepening in shadow. The children orbit her, each beginning to hum a different, pitch-perfect tone, harmonizing with one another. The sound of it makes your bones itch slightly. Maybe it's the anticipation?

The rest of the room continues to darken, the voices of the children beginning to merge with the slight sounds of the surroundings, each beginning to vary until it finds the exact frequency and phase, overlays it with the opposite. Noise dies all around you, leaving behind a deafening silence, the children disappearing in dark, the walls growing invisible, the door becoming impossible to find. All that's left is the girl at the center, arms by her sides, eyes open and staring out at you, lips curled in a slight smile.

You're here. Excellent. She was about to do some investigation.

Back away through the doorway. Nothing to see here...

You retreat from this disaster in the making and pretend to have something better to do than to investigate it.

[Business As Usual: 4]

Actually, there is a laundry room nearby, apparently. You do and look for that - it's near the kitchen, actually. Well, you think this is it, at least. There's a conspicuous dirty circle on the ground where you think a tub may have once been placed, and there's a small bench in one corner with what looks to be unclaimed clothing placed on it, most of it looking like it's been washed sometime last week.

[A Proper Size: 4]

Most of the clothing in question is a little too small for you, but there's a few articles, including a bright yellow tunic, red floral-patterned trousers, an old brown waistcoat, a set of loose dark green shorts (the matching jacket you also find is regrettably too small), a respectable enough skirt that it wouldn't particularly endanger your self-image, and finally a slightly moth-eaten hat.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 21, 2016, 10:45:40 am »

Thomas nodded.  "Impressive show; you've done wonders with the effects.  But yes, sure, mysteries.  I've determined I am rather stuck here for the time being, so until I can get out of here I can't get to Albany.  So yes, sure, what do you need?"

Listen.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:04 am »

I'm not comfortable doing this at all, but I guess I, uh, climb... up them?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 21, 2016, 01:28:18 pm »

Bingo! There's even a choice!
Try them all out for size and keep the most comfortable. And the hat.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 21, 2016, 02:43:30 pm »

"Man, you really need to loose it up. Here, have a drink!"

Bribing with imaginary alcohol. Both of them. Best of the best? Possibly... I mean certainly! I recall it being perfect! But what is perfect, really? Is there such thing as perfect? Isn't standard beer perfect until you come across something better? Is discovery perfection everlasting process, a road we all walk down? Always finding new perfect? Is there ultimate perfection in end of the journey?

Man, I really need to talk those minders now. I want to see where this train of thought goes!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 21, 2016, 03:14:57 pm »

"No, I never had any clothes in the first place because ... it's a long story. So I need some for me and my fr... he's gone. One moment."

Drop servant girl, go find Wilde.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:31 pm »

Thomas nodded.  "Impressive show; you've done wonders with the effects.  But yes, sure, mysteries.  I've determined I am rather stuck here for the time being, so until I can get out of here I can't get to Albany.  So yes, sure, what do you need?"

Listen.

[Mysterious Circumstances: 5]

Effects, yes. And you are stuck, she nods enthusiastically. In a great many ways, actually. Metaphysically, most importantly. You're a work in several parts. Two are readily apparent. There's probably more, actually. There may be clues about.

The darkness resolves itself into a room you don't recall ever being in before, made of stone, walls covered in vague, indistinct writing, floor covered in cushions. Some kind of meditation hall? The girl stands in the middle. A good place to start, she believes. There was something in here.

She doesn't quite turn, and neither do you. The room does, however, twisting around you until reaching a certain configuration.  The girl smiles and walks over to one of the cushions, sitting down. You start to sit down as well, but the girl motions to stop you. No need. You won't stay here long. She turns around and takes a look at a patch of wall, her eyes traveling along its length.

There. A piece of writing becomes clear. Looks like a bit of poetry. Wonder what that's about.

[Hidden Clues: 1]

Darkness in three parts
Behold the five murderers
Refrigerator

That's what that's about, you guess.

I'm not comfortable doing this at all, but I guess I, uh, climb... up them?

[Boost To Freedom: 2]

Well, you find it really quite easy to reach the peg you climbed down on, stepping first on the priestess' back, eliciting a little sight, then on the corpse's hands, which remain perfectly steady.

Of course, now you face the problem of needing to pull yourself up to a protrusion on the wall no larger than your fist. The climb isn't necessarily overly difficult, mind you. It's just getting to the point where you're climbing properly rather than drying to get up by upper body strength that requires a bit of luck, skill and gumption, is all.

Bingo! There's even a choice!
Try them all out for size and keep the most comfortable. And the hat.

[The Greatest Comfort: 4]

The skirt's pretty comfy, as most skirts tend to be. Modest, too! So you put that on, being a bit unsure about the shorts and not a big fan of red floral patterns on lower-body garments, combining it with the tunic and waistcoat for an outfit that, while obviously assembled from the things nobody else seems to have wanted or remembered, is still a damn sight better than no clothes at all. You top off the ensemble with the hat. It still feels a little mothy.

"Man, you really need to loose it up. Here, have a drink!"

Bribing with imaginary alcohol. Both of them. Best of the best? Possibly... I mean certainly! I recall it being perfect! But what is perfect, really? Is there such thing as perfect? Isn't standard beer perfect until you come across something better? Is discovery perfection everlasting process, a road we all walk down? Always finding new perfect? Is there ultimate perfection in end of the journey?

Man, I really need to talk those minders now. I want to see where this train of thought goes!

[Touch the Grapefruit: 6]

All of those are very good questions, you find. You think the last one was particularly great. That was the one about whether you should have another. Why yes, you will have another one. And one on top of that. And so will these fellows, it seems.

Needless to say, soon enough the three of you are having a jolly good time in the lobby trying to understand what all of you are talking about, but you laugh and they laugh and you think everything works out fine as you propose that the three of you should sing. Fortunately, these two seem to know a few juicy ones. Plot's a little difficult to follow, but you think it's about a stoatman and a shepherdess. A tale for the ages! Quite graphic, too.

"No, I never had any clothes in the first place because ... it's a long story. So I need some for me and my fr... he's gone. One moment."

Drop servant girl, go find Wilde.

[Into the Wilde: 2]

You deposit the servant girl and head out to look for Mr. Wilde. Where's the bastard gone off to? Don't see hide nor hair of him. You walk up and down the hall, but still no trace. You know, you think he's ditched you. Cheeky!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:10 pm »

"My frrriend, dat was good one!" Leif laughs giving them affectionate hug. "NOW it'ss mmmy turrrn. Tis songg iss 'bout.... I don't quite rememberr what it wass. We ssung it alot in arrmmy!"

Sing a song about invading Sweden, pillaging, murdering and burning everything.
Ah, I got a brilliant idea! Let's go find some more people inside and have them join our drunken party! Everyone must be drunk!
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 161