Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259151 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Sun Is Also A Warrior
« Reply #660 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »

"Well ... eh fuck it, if people get hurt by this they shouldn't have been partying outside a religious building."

Can I just push the window out of the wall? I don't care overly much if it breaks. If I can, do so and then duck to avoid flying glass splinters.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 20, 2016, 02:29:26 pm »

"Well. Err. Where am I? Help? Anyone? This isn't funny, you know!"
Call for help, then feel the walls and attempt to work out how much freedom of movement I have. Can I turn to look behind? Crawl forwards, somehow?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:20 pm »

This is starting to seem like a bad idea. And this priestess could not be less helpful. Oh well, I suppose can come back later when I'm more prepared. I do know an omniscient darkness that I assume can tell me more about what's down here.

"Maybe it's not the time. I could still probably seek help elsewhere. I may return here later, but I hope that I won't have to." I head towards the exit and climb up and out.

[A Convenient Exit: 1]

You may recall that your descent down here terminated in a short drop. Well, let's just say it feels a lot longer when you are trying to jump up and grab onto one of the pegs set into the shaft - a minute or so of trying fails to produce any results on this front.

Perhaps it is the time, the priestess retorts in a satisfied manner. You have no say in such things, she is eager to point out - when history decides to test you, there may be no turning back. You can succeed, or otherwise be rightly forgotten.

Well, might as well find a shower.  Or a bath.  Or something.

Water, water, wherefore art thou water?

[The Whys of Water: 6]

Wherefore is water? Why is the earth? How is the sky? The answer, of course, lies in the course of the stars and the formation of worlds. That ancient dance of the spheres that gives rise to all things known and unknown in the universe, immense beyond comprehension, beautiful in its fractal complexity as its basic elements collide and intermix to produce the land, the sky and the life buzzing merrily along either in permutations beyond counting.

You contemplate this and more deeply, a thoughtful expression crossing your face as you pour a bucket of ice cold well water from the functional courtyard well down your pants, your jaw dropping as a groan of relief escapes your lips. The icy comfort nearly takes you off your feet, your breath taken away as you verge on the cusp of enlightenment.

[Insights From The Ice-Cold Junk: 6]

You breathe in again as you place a hand on the solid stone of the well's edge, a shiver spreading through your body. You feel like a man in an ad, an encapsulation of the 'after' shaped by a keen understanding of the 'before'. A vision of newfound beauty, a revelation of the life that you could have and did obtain, all through the most simple possible course of action. The physiological cool sets your mind at ease. Where you once had abrasion and keen awareness of a certain tightness, now you have but a comfortable numbness. Where once there was annoyance, now there is merely

ABSENCE

"Hey there, love. How's it going? Me? I'm pleasantly drunk, as is prophet for proper of Ęgir! So no, love, I probably can't follow your isntructions exactly. But for you, I will surely try! And you!" Leif shouts at the panel beneath him. "We are having tender moment here, don't disturb unless you want highly alcoholic fruits!"

Try following her instructions if she still wants to give them.

[Verbal Disentanglement: 5]

Right, so... get up - no, put your foot a little to the right, that's it. Now jump a foot to the left, take a two-foot step to the right... yes, quite good. Now put your hands on your hips, and bring your knees together. A little tighter. Now start to shimmy along forward. That's it. You've got it.

Now, there's more to this, she says. But really you just want to dive forward and off the platform. You're close enough. There! Excellent dive. The woman walks up to you and holds on to your hand as she pulls you up to your feet. Well done, she says. Masterfully executed. Not a single thing has been harmed, and not an unwanted door has opened. All is as it should be.

Though... hm. She looks into your eyes. You seem really quite... capable, she says in a considerably lowered voice. Surprisingly delicate, unusually nimble. Have you ever considered, she speaks lower still, and you essentially read her lips by the end as her voice fades completely, have you ever considered carpentry?

"Well ... eh fuck it, if people get hurt by this they shouldn't have been partying outside a religious building."

Can I just push the window out of the wall? I don't care overly much if it breaks. If I can, do so and then duck to avoid flying glass splinters.

[The Hand That Wrecks The Church: 2]

You can definitely break the window in this fashion, yes. This is something you waste no time in empirically confirming, a number of large glass shards coming down upon you like a rain of guillotine blades as you push right through the stained glass pane.

[Unlikely Dodge: 2]

You do kind of trip over the window frame as you lose your balance and fall forward, and are somewhat glad when many of the shards have the good sense to miss you. One more lands on you flatly. Another basically slices your left kidney in half, though, but that could not reasonably be helped, you decide. Besides, you totally have another one.

"Well. Err. Where am I? Help? Anyone? This isn't funny, you know!"
Call for help, then feel the walls and attempt to work out how much freedom of movement I have. Can I turn to look behind? Crawl forwards, somehow?

There is no response. Perhaps that is for the best. You do not relish the thought of being trapped in a tunnel with someone else, whether they were to share your predicament or, god forbid, bear you outright malice. Especially since it feels like you're naked. You try to look around, but find your range of motion sadly limited - if you could look behind, you're not sure you could see past yourself. The shaft feels horribly claustrophobic.

You do find, however, that you can move forward. A vague crawl, barely even considerable as motion. But serviceable, ultimately.

[A Dark and Foreboding Shaft: 4]

You crawl along for a fair bit before you begin to make out a glint of firelight off in the distance. It is but the vaguest flicker, and you desperately inch toward it until your face can touch what feels like a grate, affixed loosely into the shaft, its other side obstructed by what look like pots, but nevertheless mildly lit by a distant fire. The air feels fresher, the squeaks of rodents more distant. Freedom is within your grasp.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:19 pm »

"Oh that's right, I have enough strength to push right through the glass. It's harder to remember that than you'd think."

Hold the wound shut and try to stop bleeding, if I am bleeding a significant amount.
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2016, 06:58:50 pm »

((Don't drink the water.))

...Huh.  That word had a weird echo.  Guess it's the courtyard.  Mmmm... maybe the wind's died down?

Check the outside again.  Maybe another direction?  Can the road be seen?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »

((AoshimaMichio, you should repeat that little maneuver she told you to do. Trust me.))

"I assume you're not going to tell me how you plan on leaving?" I search for another exit and take it. I guess I'll just have to hope it doesn't lead to the underworld.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:07:09 pm by penguinofhonor »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 21, 2016, 04:11:31 am »

Looking deep into her eyes, holding her hand, Leif whispers back: "Dear, I have considered many things. Miner by trade, partymaker by divine call, why not a carpenter too? I have heard that a son of some god was a one. However, I was doing something important when I fell here. I forgot what it was, but it was important. Probably party related. Would you like a nice fruit? It is tasty, I promise."

Drunkenly consider the offer seriously. Seriously offer the magical party fruit.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 21, 2016, 07:45:36 am »

So close and yet so far...
Push the grate, pull the grate, shake the grate, hell, headbutt the grate if necessary, just get it open and get out!
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 21, 2016, 09:32:43 am »

((If the roll title for a headbutt isn't "Using your Head" I may just be disappointed.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:10 pm »

"Oh that's right, I have enough strength to push right through the glass. It's harder to remember that than you'd think."

Hold the wound shut and try to stop bleeding, if I am bleeding a significant amount.

[Excuses For Medicine: 4]

You clamp your hand over the considerably sliced part of your side and press it resolutely, all blood flow stopping momentarily. Rising up from the window frame you stand there a moment, the flow staunched very adequately as far as you can tell. You guess that ought to be good enough for now, even if it only leaves you with one free hand. Hopefully it'll heal quickly enough.

((Don't drink the water.))

...Huh.  That word had a weird echo.  Guess it's the courtyard.  Mmmm... maybe the wind's died down?

Check the outside again.  Maybe another direction?  Can the road be seen?

You take another walk up to the battlements and check if conditions have improved.

[When The Weather Is Fine: 3]

The wind's not quite so abrasive anymore, you think. Weather's quieting down pretty quickly, it seems. You take a walk along the wall and look for anything that looks like a road.

[Spying of Eyes: 5]

Making your rounds all around the castle walls, you spot several things. First of all, the castle appears to be located on an artificial island, and currently appears to be lacking a bridge leading off it, the path leading down from the castle gate ending at the river in a way suggestive of some kind of catastrophic event. The stout people out in the field seem very displeased at this.

The road itself appears to emerge from the ashen woods, forking off a larger road that runs back to a town to the south, the environs no doubt a victim of a recent forest fire. One that seems to be still going on further away, in fact. Quite interesting, the way it seems to have started right on the other side of the island, both sides of both rivers, in fact, yet almost completely failed to touch the grass of the isle.

Also, you notice two luminous objects. One seems to be the sun. It is flying away suspiciously quickly, you find. A lot faster than it usually does in your experience, at least. The other, a smaller sun-like object, looks to be hanging over the river, boiling its waters as they pass beneath it. An... unorthodox method of purification, you must admit, particularly given the way you see dead fish progressively bob up from further downriver.

Finally you spot a patch of woods where the ground seems completely black and vaguely shiny in the current lighting conditions. Is that... glass? How odd.

((AoshimaMichio, you should repeat that little maneuver she told you to do. Trust me.))

"I assume you're not going to tell me how you plan on leaving?" I search for another exit and take it. I guess I'll just have to hope it doesn't lead to the underworld.

Her leaving, the priestess says, is more a matter of if than how. If her head clears, if her strength returns, if her faithful companion brings the defiler to justice - if all these things are to be, then she will think of leaving. And if not, then there is little she can do anyway. You sigh and decide to try and figure your own way out.

[An Inconvenient Exit: 4]

You step over to what feels like a wall, placing your left hand on it, and follow it around the darkened chamber. It is an excellent strategy, you find, as you immediately find three different exits, each about a six foot wide passage into the cold and foreboding darkness smelling of mold and ancient death.

Figuring these to be a poor idea to explore without light, you do another circuit, but place your hand lower to the ground. A smart plan, you realize when you manage to find another wooden panel, quite small, but nevertheless human-compatible, affixed to the wall that does not seem to have had a passage to the underworld on it. Feeling it out, you find the handle and open it readily. This passage is a marked difference from the three others, as this almost floors you with its complex aroma of rat feces overlaying a solid base of damp indescribability.

Anyhow, you seem to have no shortage of exciting alternatives for egress, all of them completely lacking in visibility. One of them even appears to lack basic dignity. Your fumbling attracts a small cackle from the priestess. She seems to appreciate your spirit.

Looking deep into her eyes, holding her hand, Leif whispers back: "Dear, I have considered many things. Miner by trade, partymaker by divine call, why not a carpenter too? I have heard that a son of some god was a one. However, I was doing something important when I fell here. I forgot what it was, but it was important. Probably party related. Would you like a nice fruit? It is tasty, I promise."

Drunkenly consider the offer seriously. Seriously offer the magical party fruit.

[The Party Can Always Find You: 4]

She humors your offer, having one of your vodka-filled grapefruits. It seems to lift her spirits even further, though it seems to be your agreement that she truly craves, looking into your eyes with unabashed hope.

What you need to do, she says, is indeed quite simple. You need to step back onto the platform, and then there are some steps required. She smiles as she touches your shoulder lightly. Indeed, some steps required...

So close and yet so far...
Push the grate, pull the grate, shake the grate, hell, headbutt the grate if necessary, just get it open and get out!

[Bang Your Head: 3]

You push forward weakly, your face pressing against the grate. You attempt to grab it, but your arm feels stuck. Both of your arms feel stuck. Best you can do is try to wrap your fingers around it in that department. You shake it and yell for help, but none seems forthcoming.

Desperate, you try the next thing to come to your mind, and slam your head into the grate as hard as you can. It budges slightly. Your head feels like it budged slightly too. Why the hell did you think this was a good idea? God, you think you're bleeding. Blood's getting into your eyes.

It sort of worked, though. You think. As mentioned, blood's getting into your eyes. Headbutting something made of metal seems an increasingly poorer idea. Although you guess it... sort of worked? Wait, you already thought that. You remember it now. Oh god, do you have brain damage now? Are you just screwed by your impulsive decision to use your head in an unfortunately literal sense?

Whatever the case, you guess your approach sort of worked. And also blood is getting into your eyes.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 21, 2016, 03:46:25 pm »

Huh.  Never thought I'd see ball lightning.  What odd properties.

Anyway, not going to be going out that way.  Forget a bicycle; I need a boat.

Locate the dockmaster around here.  Who is the master of boating?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 21, 2016, 04:30:52 pm »

What wierd foreplay. Oh well, stoats can wait. Let's dance!

"Baby, I'll show you my moves..."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »

"Hmm. I reckon this works, but it'd probably be better if I got it stitched shut or something. Who knows, maybe there's a doctor around these parts."

Go out of the church and ask the nearest sober person if there's a doctor or someone with needle and thread or something like that around here. If knight lady happens to be the only one available, ask her from a distance.
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 21, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »

Gah. Too late to stop now, though.
Push grate open fully, preferably with fingers this time. If not, headbutt grate again, though more carefully. With luck the damage won't be permanent.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 21, 2016, 05:24:07 pm »

I suppose the rat shit tunnel leads somewhere mundane... Honestly, though, it probably leads to these guys' heaven or something. They really do like rats.

Whatever lies ahead, I guess I should try to be as prepared as I possible. I sit down and try to rest against the wall as I contemplate my situation. What shape is the room? Rectangular, I suppose, with an exit on each wall? The positioning might have some symbolism. And which wall did I climb down?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 161