Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259201 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
« Reply #645 on: February 19, 2016, 03:56:33 pm »

Of course.  Nasty weather pops up just when I want to leave.  It'd be silly to go out there while a sandstorm is kicking up; best wait it out here.

Thomas headed back down.

A coat would be great, but a shirt will suffice.  Anything similar lying around?

...any place to subtly shake some of the sand out of the nether regions?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2016, 04:01:12 pm »

The priest is still alive!?

God damnit.

Also GOD DAMNIT WHY.

It'd be really nice if someone else could whip up some supernatural fuckery and distract the stoats.

Moon! Bring the darkness back please!

Wrap neck in nightgown cloth and, uh. Rest?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:04:48 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 19, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »

And more they shall have! Sing! Lift the mood!
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Sun Is Also A Warrior
« Reply #648 on: February 19, 2016, 06:11:11 pm »

Go over to the priest.

"Oh hey, you're still alive? Wow, you're a resilient fellow. Hey listen, I know you're sorta preoccupied with recovering from being burnt to a crisp, but do you have anything priceless in your possession, or in yonder chapel? I need it for a project, you see, and taking those windows you have there seems like it'd be troublesome."

You walk up to the priest and congratulate him on his extraordinarily unlikely survival. He merely looks about with a sense of satisfaction, not even sparing you a glance. You suppose he's beaming with pride or something. You start to explain about your quest, figuring he ought to be sympathetic to your plight. You sort of trail off as he just goes off to chat with another member of his community, a young scullery maid from the castle who happens to be a full head taller than him.

You'd think him rude, but the way he seems to have managed to completely ignore you despite the way you were standing right in front of him and speaking in your most intimidatingly friendly tone of voice strikes you as downright maliciously disrespectful. Well, you guess you could just see how he likes it when you make off with his entire damn window and not listen to anything he has to say.

"I see. What kind of place is this, anyway? A hermitage or something?" As we talk I move around and try to discern the shape of the room.

Not an hermitage. A gateway. Past here lies the kingdom of the dead, where history goes to lay silent for future onlookers, the truth laid bare for all to see. It is not for the faint-hearted or unsteady of foot, or those with impure intentions to trespass upon. She has made sure this is so. A true priest's answer all right.

You look around the room and conclude that you are effectively blind. There probably is a way to light this place up, since you assume someone was intended to come here at some point, but there's no mode of lighting available that would help alleviate the pitch blackness.

Of course.  Nasty weather pops up just when I want to leave.  It'd be silly to go out there while a sandstorm is kicking up; best wait it out here.

Thomas headed back down.

A coat would be great, but a shirt will suffice.  Anything similar lying around?

...any place to subtly shake some of the sand out of the nether regions?

[Clothes for the Naked: 6]

You walk down into the courtyard, where you happen to find some very convenient clothes lying around - a slightly tight garment, requires a little creative adjustment, a deepening of the neckline, the sleeves are a bit short, but you suppose it makes for a decent enough coat, and it's a nice shade of light blue that one can't help but appreciate, and... well, you really can't think of any other good aspects of you putting on what you now obviously realize to be a dress. It's... really quite tight on you. To the point where you appear to be having some trouble getting out of it.

Also, there's a naked girl dancing nearby. She seems inordinately amused at your choice of outfit, and also very drunk. You suspect all the listed factors to be somewhat related. The sand on your groin chafes that much harder as your tighter wrappings constrain you. Shaking it off seems like a remote possibility, since you would likely need to undress to do so properly.

The priest is still alive!?

God damnit.

Also GOD DAMNIT WHY.

It'd be really nice if someone else could whip up some supernatural fuckery and distract the stoats.

Moon! Bring the darkness back please!

Wrap neck in nightgown cloth and, uh. Rest?

This is really going very poorly, you think. Time for a rollback.

MOON

[Word: 1]

You aim your hand at the second sun as you invoke the moon once again, and it-no!

No! The sun rails against your word, its glare intensifying. It remembers! What you are doing, it knows what it is! It remembers the cold and the dark and the agony of senselessness! You will not quench the flame! You will not do this thing! Its surface roils as a small spot passes over its surface, the shadow of a distant moon, dwarfed by an outpouring of emotion. It pulses with unbridled rage once more, memory flooding back into it. You want to kill it again, brother? It will not be as easy as the first time.

[Sun's Revenge: 5 vs. 1]

A tendril of ionized air forms as your brother-sun unleashes a carefully-measured fraction of its power. It spirals through the air as it seeks your position. In the blink of an eye it strikes like lightning, your entire body lighting up as its temperature transcends what your nerves could even conceivably comprehend. It is the work of milliseconds, remarkably painless in its stellar inefficiency. You start to evaporate from the inside out, your outer layers of tissue exploding outward as your insides burst and disintegrate, the chunks of burning flesh existing for only moments longer as they, too, turn into so much vapor. The earth under you liquefies and glasses over, the forest catching on fire again, your moonstone blasting off into the horizon as a shapeless liquid mass of extraterrestrial lava, steadily but incompletely evaporating on the way.

Wisps of your former body scatter to the four winds, forming afterimages of scurrying rats in visceral condensate as they disappear into the dark corners of the ravaged landscape.

You are dead.

And more they shall have! Sing! Lift the mood!

[The Party Can Always Find You: 3]

You sing as you bequeath your wealth of grapefruits to the hungry and the destitute, letting them get absolutely wasted in no time at all. When they can stand no more and their knees give way, you let them fall to the ground in admiration, and give a grapefruit extra for their valiant attempt at keeping up with you. Raising your arms to the sky, you stand elated in a circle of passed out drunks that seems to have now formed around you. This must be what being a priest feels like on a good day.

Spoiler: Tips of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:17:49 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 19, 2016, 06:15:14 pm »

Oh come the fuck on. This is litteraly the only game I actually play on this forum and the dice just up and explode me.

God damnit. Welp, I guess nobody will ever see me again. This isn't me whining, I just literally don't post anywhere else except in the ooc thread.

In another game, chaps.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 19, 2016, 06:22:24 pm »

Oh come the fuck on. This is litteraly the only game I actually play on this forum and the dice just up and explode me.

God damnit. Welp, I guess nobody will ever see me again. This isn't me whining, I just literally don't post anywhere else except in the ooc thread.

In another game, chaps.

In any case, good to have had you in the game. Hope you extracted some measure of enjoyment from it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 19, 2016, 06:24:40 pm »

I did, it was in fact pretty fantastic.

I'm pretty upset that the dice, which usually make OTHER PEOPLE have terrible things happen to them, were so against me the entire time.

I just really wish I could keep going. There wasn't even any conclusion to the stuff I was doing. Nobody noticed it outside a half reference to the color of the sky. Feels incomplete.

if you start up another game, give me a PM. My email alerts have been fucking up for the past two years.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:27:11 pm by Dermonster »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:05 pm »

"Know what, fine. Won't have no damn window to look through by the time I'm done."

Go inside the chapel and try lifting the moon window out of its frame. How heavy is it compared to my new strength?

If it starts to fall on me, pitch it away from me so I don't get hit by falling glass.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 19, 2016, 09:10:26 pm »

So this is either a magical realm or a spooky catacomb. Worth investigation either way.

"I need to pass. The lives of the people in this city may depend on it. I seek only the power to be able to aid them."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 19, 2016, 09:38:08 pm »

((I completely forgot about it as well.  No harm, no foul.))

How inappropriate!

Yeah, this chafing needs to go.  Find a private place to shake it out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 20, 2016, 04:27:38 am »

"I'm prophet of Ęgir, the brewer of gods!" Erik laughs loudly. "Let's get wasted!"

More imaginary booze for anyone who wants it!
Seems like it is time to visit stouts. Got a job and all. Maybe vodkafruit helps them to relax. In other words, get out of the castle.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:12 am »

"Know what, fine. Won't have no damn window to look through by the time I'm done."

Go inside the chapel and try lifting the moon window out of its frame. How heavy is it compared to my new strength?

If it starts to fall on me, pitch it away from me so I don't get hit by falling glass.

You give as good as you get, and intend to take much more as you walk into the chapel and take a look at the moon-themed window.

[Preternatural Applications: 3]

Well, doesn't seem too heavy. Only like three stories tall. You could probably get it to the cottage without a problem - the main issue, really, is with how you're about to get it out of the wall in one piece. You don't really have any tools aside from meaty fists and steely fingers, neither of which seem terribly conducive to delicate work such as this.

So this is either a magical realm or a spooky catacomb. Worth investigation either way.

"I need to pass. The lives of the people in this city may depend on it. I seek only the power to be able to aid them."

[Cryptic Indications: 1]

You ask the wrong person, the priestess says. She can offer wisdom, but not safe passage. One cannot pass into the kingdom of the dead without weathering the risk of staying there. So if you feel you are the one to save everyone, it is up to you and you alone to prove it.

((I completely forgot about it as well.  No harm, no foul.))

How inappropriate!

Yeah, this chafing needs to go.  Find a private place to shake it out.

[An Inconspicuous Location: 4]

You walk behind a nearby cottage to obtain some privacy and commence your attempts to free yourself of your enduring discomfort.

[Shake It Off: 2]

You shake resolutely after making sure nobody can see. You shake to the left, then shake to the right. You shake clockwise and counterclockwise, drawing dreadfully close to recapturing a misspent youth in the process.

The sand, however, clings strongly to your sensitive bits. All of what could have been shaken off, you feel, already has been. You may need more drastic measures to remove what is left. Water, presumably. Quite a bit of it.

"I'm prophet of Ęgir, the brewer of gods!" Erik laughs loudly. "Let's get wasted!"

More imaginary booze for anyone who wants it!
Seems like it is time to visit stouts. Got a job and all. Maybe vodkafruit helps them to relax. In other words, get out of the castle.

[The Party Can Always Find You: 5]

You address the remnants of the crowd around you, letting them look upon these people you have taken to new heights of drunkenness. They witness your power most adequately, you believe, as you see quite a few become convinced. You let them taste of the fruit, all the fruit they could possibly desire, and feel satisfied as drunken revelry properly commences among these miserable people. Truly you are a messenger of the gods, you proclaim, meeting with incoherent support from your smashed believers.

Feeling like you can take on the world, you go and look for some sort of exit.

[To Battle: 6]

The gate's locked, the guards look unfriendly, and they don't want any of your fruit. They seem considerably on edge about the sudden appearance of two new suns, of which one appears to be moving around in the sky and the other of which seems like it's boiling one of the rivers. And also that everything seems to be on fire.

None of this stops you from pestering them anyway, naturally, or offering each and every one of them a grapefruit close to a dozen times at varying times during several conversations. They say you can't go through the gate. The gate stays bloody closed, they say. Go home, you're fucking drunk, they say. One of them, however, is helpful! The thirteenth time you offer a grapefruit, the guard recommends you take a dive off the battlements.

Thinking on this for a moment, you concur that this is a marvelous idea, patting the guard on the back. She seems satisfied at having helped you so immensely.

[A Flip of the Coin: 1]

You back up a little, then from a running start execute an uncanny swan dive off the battlements, flailing through the air as you forget what you were doing midway through. Your flight is rather short as you flop relaxedly right on top of a roof that promptly fails to hold under your considerable momentum, and plummet right through with a mighty crash, landing on a floor made of polished wood. It depresses in several places as you roll on it a little. Sitting up, you take a look around.

It takes a few moments for you to realize that you seem to be inside of a house. Or a workshop. Who knows. There's a lovely young woman here, staring at you wide-eyed. Heyyyy, you say, pointing at her with both hands. She takes a step closer.

Sir, she says. Are you all right? You hear a single solitary knock right from beneath you. The odd-looking square of polished wood you appear to have fallen on seems to extend over a majority of the floor. You offer her a grapefruit, which perplexes her further. Placing it on a nearby table, she seems bewildered when it's not there when she looks again.

Sir, she repeats. If you can get up, could you follow her instructions on where to step, she says, steepling her fingers nervously. Could you follow them exactly?

Oscar Wilde

You awaken. Or do you? It is dark, and thus quite difficult to see.

You feel four walls constricting you, enveloping you from all sides, feeling like a coffin coated in thick slime. You stir lightly, eliciting distant squeaks from behind you.

You appear to be trapped in some sort of horizontal shaft leading forward and backward, what little air there is available stinking to high heaven. You have no recollection of how you got here, which is odd, as you feel you'd probably notice if somebody abducted you and stuffed you into such a small space. You suspect something has gone terribly wrong here. Maybe this is a dream?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:03:39 am by Harry Baldman »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 20, 2016, 08:30:42 am »

This is starting to seem like a bad idea. And this priestess could not be less helpful. Oh well, I suppose can come back later when I'm more prepared. I do know an omniscient darkness that I assume can tell me more about what's down here.

"Maybe it's not the time. I could still probably seek help elsewhere. I may return here later, but I hope that I won't have to." I head towards the exit and climb up and out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 20, 2016, 10:41:07 am »

Well, might as well find a shower.  Or a bath.  Or something.

Water, water, wherefore art thou water?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 20, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

"Hey there, love. How's it going? Me? I'm pleasantly drunk, as is prophet for proper of Ęgir! So no, love, I probably can't follow your isntructions exactly. But for you, I will surely try! And you!" Leif shouts at the panel beneath him. "We are having tender moment here, don't disturb unless you want highly alcoholic fruits!"

Try following her instructions if she still wants to give them.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 161