Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259708 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Playing With Fire
« Reply #300 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:47 am »

I think. It's time. We go see a healer. For a while.

"Haaaaaaa."
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 06, 2016, 09:14:08 am »

Thomas sighed.  Nope, this gentleman was no help whatsoever.  But what was with that poor fellow?  It'd probably be rude to ask.

"I see, Mister Majordomo.  Thank you for your time."

Withdraw from the conversation.  Observe this new happening; look for someone who may know something useful.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 06, 2016, 09:58:38 am »

Hmm. Spasm, writhe and foam, I guess. Or something. I would like to not die from imaginary alcohol poisoning. Reboot mind?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:00 pm »

Jack lies on the ground unmoving for a second, letting his mind catch up.

"...huh. That hurt.
...maybe should go see if that priest is still alive. That was some fine wheedling I did on him, after all."

He stands up and brushes himself off.

"Hey priest! Sun moon what the fuck ever. You alive or did you get burnt to ash?

Oh hey other guy, Codeburn, is that rock disarmed? 'Cause I could come up there and help you, but I don't fancy being incinerated."

That said, Jack crosses his arms and huffs out a sigh. Who knew convincing people to let you rip their guts out could be so fraught with complications? Speaking of which, how was that other guy getting along? Hopefully he hadn't gotten into any shenanigans. Though most likely he had.

How's that bone carver dude? Still looking in a sacrificeable state?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »

"Ngaaah. Yes. Under, control. Help."

I wonder how many people aren't using darkling.

My plain speaking text has this special effect and, as I was temporarily logged out, I couldn't see it in default.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:40 pm »

What have I gotten myself into? Thinking more, I focus on the ground beneath the naked man's feet and imagine it swallowing him up. "Earth," I say, "you HUNGER."

HUNGER

[Word: 5]

The earth shifts soundlessly, taking on the aspect of a silent predator. The naked man smiles as he hears you speak. And next thing you know, he is gone. He falls, but does not hit anything. And moments later, the ground is whole once again.

You see no more of him. And you hear even less. You look at the earth. It looks harmless once again. Innocuous, for now.

I think. It's time. We go see a healer. For a while.

"Haaaaaaa."

[Heroic Determination: 6]

You crunch all over as you get up and shamble off in search of a healer, extraneous charred bits of you falling off as you walk along the courtyard. Healer. You need a healer.

... where is the healer, come to think of it? Is there one? The shrouded man never mentioned anything of the sort. The keep, you guess? You wander in past some guys dragging a stoatman out by its feet, tracking ash on the nice, lightly bloodstained floor. You have no idea where to go after this point. There's a bunch of people you could ask, you guess. Mr. Minstep, perhaps. You go and ask him if he's seen a healer anywhere around here. You kind of need one a little urgently, you mention.

Thomas sighed.  Nope, this gentleman was no help whatsoever.  But what was with that poor fellow?  It'd probably be rude to ask.

"I see, Mister Majordomo.  Thank you for your time."

Withdraw from the conversation.  Observe this new happening; look for someone who may know something useful.

You approach the strange people dragging the even stranger person, leaning inconspicuously toward a skinny servant who's stuck around this long. You ask her what this might be about, and she says that's the stoat they had captured in the dungeon. That looks to be a man, actually, you take care to correct, but she insists it's actually a stoat. Seems like it escaped. Probably made a beeline for the queen. Wanted to lay eggs in her skull, no doubt. Stoats do that, don't you know.

You nod politely as the two men drag the so-called stoat out the main keep door, leaving a small trail of blood on the floor as they go. They pay you no mind as they proceed into the courtyard, the girl coming downstairs after them sedately before a few other guards run in and accost her with questions about her security, comfort and general condition, subjects on which the girl appears to be a little tongue-tied.

Meanwhile, Mr. Codeburn comes into the foyer looking a lot like a humanoid fourth-degree burn and followed by a menacingly glowing two-ton boulder. He walks up to you and asks if you've seen any healers around here, sounding a lot like crumpling charred paper.

Hmm. Spasm, writhe and foam, I guess. Or something. I would like to not die from imaginary alcohol poisoning. Reboot mind?

Whaaa? Rebootcher mind? Thass ridiculous. 'S not like there's a goddamn button on the side of yer head y'can just push to-

[Mental Reboot: 5]

You find yourself in darkness, unable to see much of anything. This is disquieting for a moment, but then your cellmate breaks the silence by asking if you enjoyed your foray into the wildly imaginary. It certainly sounded fun from where she was sitting, she says.

Jack lies on the ground unmoving for a second, letting his mind catch up.

"...huh. That hurt.
...maybe should go see if that priest is still alive. That was some fine wheedling I did on him, after all."

He stands up and brushes himself off.

"Hey priest! Sun moon what the fuck ever. You alive or did you get burnt to ash?

Oh hey other guy, Codeburn, is that rock disarmed? 'Cause I could come up there and help you, but I don't fancy being incinerated."

That said, Jack crosses his arms and huffs out a sigh. Who knew convincing people to let you rip their guts out could be so fraught with complications? Speaking of which, how was that other guy getting along? Hopefully he hadn't gotten into any shenanigans. Though most likely he had.

How's that bone carver dude? Still looking in a sacrificeable state?

Mr. Codeburn looks all right, you suppose, and fucks off in short order. Good enough, one supposes.

Sun-Mouth Prudence, meanwhile, doesn't respond. You guess he's dead, then. Such good effort, all of it wasted.

Speaking of, you wander back to the courtyard, only to find no sign of the naked bone carver. Must have gone off to do something at the last minute, you guess. You look around carefully to find any sign of him, and your gaze is most prominently drawn to that old guard and guy with an eye on his forehead, both of whom appear to have attended to whatever business kept them away from the ritual. They seem to be dragging one of those marmot people with them. Okay, maybe not quite done.

Or maybe they are done, because both of them just drag the marmot person over to the circle, then proceed to stand about, the elderly guard casting a quizzical look around. The man with the scarified eye does a full revolution as well, scanning the area for any sign of who he's looking for, but seemingly finding none.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:24 pm »

Go to the healer if he mentions where. Otherwise, continue to ask random people.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2016, 02:07:47 pm »

((Had we actually met and swapped names?  I know Jack and I did, but were you close enough to hear it?))

Thomas looked at the man, a bit horrified.  "Are you okay, sir?  You look awful!  And no, I have no idea where a doctor is.  Nobody here knows anything useful, it seems, unless you can point me toward Sureness Assurance?"

Then the boulder clicked in his head.

"I say, that's some quite nice effects on that floating rock you have there.  Impressive!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2016, 03:18:54 pm »

"Oh? Oh. Yes, I did enjoy quite much, thanks for asking. Best time I have had for a good while. It just got little out of the hand, I must admit. Say, any advice for countering that? And where did you say the minders place was? I didn't quite catch it, something about a tower?"

Let's try it again, but this time without mind altering substances. Say, few good blocks of imaginary galena? Or spheres? Various other geometric shapes?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »

"Rock exploded in the wrong direction. Burns. Doctor..."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 06, 2016, 04:14:42 pm »

"Ooh, awesome, a hated minority to sacrifice!"

Hurry over to the circle.

"Good, we finally have a subject and can get to business. Do any of you have a knife or other sharp implement? Also, do you know where the bone carver guy went? Just curious, he doesn't seem the type to miss this sort of thing.

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 06, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »

Looks like this guy is one of them too.  Wait, wasn't he that guy from earlier?  Part of the act, then.  Well, some of those wounds look pretty real... might as well play along.

"Okay, okay, one second.  HEY!  NEED A DOCTOR HERE!  Majordomo, we need a doctor!"

Call for help, I guess.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 06, 2016, 09:03:24 pm »

I stare at my hands. This is a lot more unnerving than the sun and moon junk.

Maybe someone can help me understand this magic a little better. I walk back to the minder tower.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:50:36 pm by penguinofhonor »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »

Go to the healer if he mentions where. Otherwise, continue to ask random people.

Mr. Minstep pawns you off on some old guy dressed like a clown who takes you deeper into the keep down a familiar-looking hallway. You nod in recognition at a bit of blood and mirror glass still on the floor. Good memories, compared to now at least.

Eventually you reach a small room with the word "healer" carved into it a little crookedly. The old man does not bother knocking, instead just opening up a door. You look carefully into the room and immediately a suspicion arises in your mind. You examine it further and confirm that it does, in fact, appear to be a closet, its furnishings beginning and ending with a single stool. Inside you see a rather grubby young woman currently dissecting a rat (placed atop the stool while she kneels beside it) with a knife that seems to have been sharpened to an extraordinary edge, poking at the various bits and bobs with some curiosity.

The old man clears his throat. A few seconds pass as the healer concludes whatever form of exploratory surgery she seems to have been attempting and looks up. Ah, she says, brought someone for her? She casts a careful look at you, surveying the magnitude of your injuries.

Hm, she says after getting a vague sense of what's happened to you. She gets the feeling that bloodletting won't help, somehow.

"Oh? Oh. Yes, I did enjoy quite much, thanks for asking. Best time I have had for a good while. It just got little out of the hand, I must admit. Say, any advice for countering that? And where did you say the minders place was? I didn't quite catch it, something about a tower?"

Let's try it again, but this time without mind altering substances. Say, few good blocks of imaginary galena? Or spheres? Various other geometric shapes?

The imagination running wild is, interestingly, not a common problem, as you cellmate explains. There is advice for when dreams happen this way, perhaps, but none that she recalls precisely enough to recommend in good faith. Fair enough, you suppose.

[Induced Lucidity: 1]

You consider galena. Metallic. Somewhat drab. Composed of lead. Mostly harmless. Though you should be careful with galena dust. Inhalation's not good for you. Lead sulfide in your airways is not a recipe for a good time, you'd imagine, inadvertently actually imagining it. You cough as the sensation of metallic powder in your nasal cavity manifests. You'd liken the feeling to snorting a line of metal shavings, and suppose it to be a similarly poor idea.

"Ooh, awesome, a hated minority to sacrifice!"

Hurry over to the circle.

"Good, we finally have a subject and can get to business. Do any of you have a knife or other sharp implement? Also, do you know where the bone carver guy went? Just curious, he doesn't seem the type to miss this sort of thing.

You approach the two guys, and the man with the third eye narrows his other two at you, while the old fellow looks at you levelly. A few moments pass as they regard you. Identify yourself, the old man orders you in an even tone, eyes betraying no emotion, though you get the feeling he's somewhat on edge at the moment.

You skillfully manage to deflect his attention at a question about the bone carver, which he must admit is a rather good one. The carver always speaks at the ritual, and conducts the demonstration. It would be inadvisable to begin without his presence, especially in light of recent developments in offering quality.

Looks like this guy is one of them too.  Wait, wasn't he that guy from earlier?  Part of the act, then.  Well, some of those wounds look pretty real... might as well play along.

"Okay, okay, one second.  HEY!  NEED A DOCTOR HERE!  Majordomo, we need a doctor!"

Call for help, I guess.

A doctor, you say? The majordomo looks at Mr. Codeburn with great concern, leaning sideways to better assess the components of himself that the man's trailed on the floor. Looks quite bad, he must admit. When a man's in that kind of condition, surely the doctor couldn't hurt him further, at least.

You're not quite sure about handing Mr. Codeburn off on such a recommendation, but the majordomo takes him along anyway, taking him into one of the ground-level wings of the keep. You suppose he's not your responsibility anymore, at least.

I stare at my hands. This is a lot more unnerving than the sun and moon junk.

Maybe someone can help me magic a little better. I walk back to the minder tower.

You cheese it post-haste and get back into the minder tower, managing to avoid any more attention as you enter the first floor hall. The girl does not appear to be here, presumably having floated up to get to ruling her new domain.

Not that she needs to be down here to speak with you, of course. Is there something you wanted? She's a little busy at the moment. Lots of unusual garbage to sort through. No time like the present for some spring cleaning.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2016, 05:16:53 pm »

"It's burns. A lot. A lot of burns. Nothing with blood. Or insides. Aloe vera? I could do with aloe vera. Maybe a vat."

Attempt to excavate burn treatment from doctor.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 161