Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259762 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: the Words Which Burn
« Reply #240 on: December 31, 2015, 06:21:39 am »

Jack's mind roils with disquieting thoughts of murder and blood. Who knows why, he certainly doesn't. Sure, he occasionally gets the urge to punch someone in the trachea and watch them choke on their own windpipe, or to jam his thumb into their eye and ram their nose straight up into their brain with his knee, or something of the like, but that was just the side effects of practicing how to kill people for a long time.

"Say shirtless guy, did you see what happened there, with the moon thing and all? Also did you mention you had a knife? Or does someone attending have a sharp stabby thing? I'm feeling very inspired for some reason."

Oh, the shirtless man has a knife, but not on him. He uses one for carving, but it seems a tad too elaborate for the sort of ritual he would like to engage in. The right honorable turnkey might have one, too, but he is very unlikely to part with it. In times like these, lending knives is a very uncommon thing. They are, after all, among the few things of real value in here.

MOON

As to what happened there, the shirtless man indicates the flying Mr. Codeburn, something like that. Except for the part where he crashes into the castle wall and the crowd starts to laugh, of course. You should have seen it - it was really quite impressive.

"To be honest, taxes are a trick, one by government though. Leaders can lead and issue orders without actually doing anything and live by taxes."

"Seeing I have nothing but time and my gods are mostly 'help yourself first' type, mind teaching me those minder meditations? A man ought to try new things occasionally. That, and making mead appear directly into my stomach sounds like a lot of fun."

Cultural adaptation is important. If they are nuts, pretend to be one too.

Oh, she could, she guesses. They're a great way to pass the time if you're feeling bored, she thinks. Of course, you're unlikely to ever master something like mental projection, to say nothing of spontaneous materialization, but aside from that it's... well, you'll probably see. She hasn't got much experience with teaching these to anyone, just as a disclaimer, so perhaps you should not expect miracles, but... well, you should begin.

The meditation is the creation of a place within your own mind, like a persistent waking dream. Anyone can do it, she says, but the ones who actually achieve this within a certain time frame are said to have talent for minding. A certain level of sensory deprivation is recommended, usually, as is a certain emptying of the mind...

Under the guidance of your cellmate, you think you do make some progress, visualizing a variety of basic images - varieties of fruit come most easily, with distinctive shapes, colors, textures and unmistakable properties. In the darkness of the cell you begin to see them, one at a time. They look real. They feel real. And they even taste quite good, if a bit insubstantial. Your cellmate seems pleased - you do seem to be getting the hang of this quickly.

This, however, is the simple part. Next one needs to work on simultaneous visualization. Divide their attention. Keep an image in the back of their mind while visualizing something else.

Well crap, magic is harder than I thought. I continue to observe the ritual circle and dancing shiny man, staying closer to the latter.

You may want to stay closer to Mr. Codeburn, but he appears to want to leave.

MOON

With a leap of great urgency, he takes off for the skies, the orbiting stone following him along right up to the point where he smacks into the castle wall and plunges out of sight to what you presume to be the hard, gravel-covered. A few people in the crowd begin to chuckle and chat to each other, wondering aloud if he'll one day return. The priest looks dismayed, running off to see if the poor man's all right.

Moon jump to the Ramparts! See how well I can actually control this Moonstone. Like, how far away can I send it, or whether I can swing it like a wrecking ball through many many many enemy forces.

MOON

You prepare to leap to the ramparts in a single bound, and bounce off the earth to a preternatural height, carried upward by the power of your words. That is, until the low gravity sees fit to wear off mid-flight, somewhat throwing off your leap's course, which is to say it redirects it from the top of the wall to an area slightly below it. As the word fails to come to you, seemingly shy of persistent use, you smack right into the stonework, flopping off the wall and about twenty feet to the ground.

As you impact the gravel, you think you hear something crack. Probably just those shards of mirror-glass, judging by the way you seem to have been punctured in several places by the drop. Your mood as well as your supply of blood are somewhat compromised as a result. You lay there for a moment, your moonstone dancing above you, making violent sweeping motions as you consider irrational vengeance to make yourself feel better, almost hitting your priestly associate as he comes over to check up on you.

Darn it!  These folk are some of the best actors he had ever seen... what's the phrase... "staying in character" or somesuch?

That is a neat effect.  Maybe this is one of those traveling magic shows?

Ask around to see how often this show comes around.  Continue to look for clothing choices.

Presumably only when all looks darkest and the fate of humanity appears sealed, replies an astute-looking fellow. Seems like this whole thing is some form of prophecy if you believe the sun-priest. Not that anyone does, really, but you have to admit that with effects like these one could find themselves sorely tempted. You share a nod of understanding with the fellow, and ask if he knows where one could find some clothing. You're a bit naked, as you're sure he must have noticed.

MOON

The man admits that he didn't notice, actually, but looks around for your benefit anyway, taking a long look at the disappearing Mr. Codeburn, cracking a smile as he smacks into a wall, then directs you to a shirtless man wearing a set of leather pants. He seems to be more comfortable with nakedness than the average individual. It is a reasonable assumption that you could bum that set of pants off him too, if you don't mind your clothing being slightly used.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 31, 2015, 06:50:50 am »

"Anything pointy? I've had a disturbingly easy time coming up with ideas for ritual sacrifice while waiting here but most of them involve using one of those."
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:44 am »

So I have talent for being crazy? Awesome...

Let us start with visualizing two grapefruits, next to each other. Advance by adding single peach below. Proceed with the training.
How about bottle of vodka? Easy shape, very clear properties.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 31, 2015, 08:12:50 am »

"Hit my face. Glass in my back. Whyyyyy."

Stairs? Stairs.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2015, 08:50:04 am »

I mill about the crowd and try to find out what people are making of this. "So what's up with that guy?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 31, 2015, 09:04:35 pm »

Thomas shrugged and thanked the man.  Well, there was no harm in asking.  He walked over to the indicated man.  "Sir, I couldn't help but notice your lack of shirt.  Since you seem to be okay with that, might I also borrow your trousers?  I would rather not be naked."

Ask a silly question.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2016, 06:02:05 am »

"Anything pointy? I've had a disturbingly easy time coming up with ideas for ritual sacrifice while waiting here but most of them involve using one of those."

There's probably rocks about, the shirtless man admits. They tend to be somewhat pointy, especially if you break them before use (though as for holding an edge, that's another matter entirely). Some chipping will be needed to make proper cutting tools, of course, and they're none too good for stabbing, but if you can break bones with it, the other tissues shouldn't pose that much of a problem. In fact-

You are interrupted when a certain Mr. Minstep, a completely naked man with unpleasantly sandy unmentionables asks the man if he wouldn't mind parting with his pants for the good of society. The shirtless man finds the argument surprisingly compelling, and gets naked to provide the poor man with some pants, which Mr. Minstep appears to appreciate to a certain degree.

-right, so he has been working on some flint hand axes, adzes and what have you. Flint's a bit difficult to get your hands on usually, but the mason brothers have some. Not like they're using it much, mostly just for fire starting purposes, and they have way more than anyone will probably need, now that the torches in the castle are largely gone. Still, they do tend to be a bit stingy about it. You could ask one of them about it, he says, pointing toward a dull-faced, smiling fellow standing close by, waiting patiently for the festivities to begin.

What about chisels, you ask. Do they have those? And yes, the naked man agrees, he would suppose that they do. Are those sufficiently pointy for your purposes?

So I have talent for being crazy? Awesome...

Let us start with visualizing two grapefruits, next to each other. Advance by adding single peach below. Proceed with the training.
How about bottle of vodka? Easy shape, very clear properties.

Two grapefruits float right next to each other, with a single peach below, and a bottle of vodka. It seems simple, but your mind is distracted by the prospect of a vodka-flavored grapefruit. Or a vodka-filled grapefruit with a zest of well-aged pickle, the pleasing shape of a peach completing the impression.

You try to stop, but it just keeps getting better, the flavor rounding out to perfection. The knowledge of just how drunk one of these could make you (that is to say, exactly as drunk as you'd like to be) fills you with anticipation.

"Hit my face. Glass in my back. Whyyyyy."

Stairs? Stairs.

The stairs turn out to be the safer, simpler alternative. No magic required, none at all. It's a walk of shame regardless, of course, but you get there eventually. The priest follows along with a look of concern, trying to address your bleeding and the disorder of your robe as well as he can, which, as it turns out, is rather well indeed. As you slowly reach the top of the wall, you feel better already.

This is very good, of course, because you now regard the tents of the stoat army, a few hostile-looking stoat guards with crossbows sitting about, not paying you any particular attention. The surrounding camp appears to have simmered down quite a bit since midday. Nevertheless, their apparent numbers are quite daunting, and now that you have the chance to regard the encampment a bit longer, you think you spy some trebuchets off in the distance. Every now and then one of them lazily launches a boulder at the wall to no apparent effect.

I mill about the crowd and try to find out what people are making of this. "So what's up with that guy?"

Buggered if they know, in so many words. Never seen him before. The good priest seems to like him, though. And hey, if he's gonna kill a bunch of stoats before he invariably gets himself killed, least they poor peasants can do is encourage the strapping young lad to go right ahead. Fewer mouths to feed, fewer stoats who want them all dead that way. The pragmatic approach to prophecy.

Thomas shrugged and thanked the man.  Well, there was no harm in asking.  He walked over to the indicated man.  "Sir, I couldn't help but notice your lack of shirt.  Since you seem to be okay with that, might I also borrow your trousers?  I would rather not be naked."

Ask a silly question.

The shirtless fellow considers your request for a moment, then admits that this is a reasonable argument. There is no compelling reason why he should keep wearing pants, outmoded notions of decency aside. So he bequeaths his to you, becoming momentarily as naked as you are. You try them on, and while they are slightly constricting and play unfavorably with the sandiness of your lower quarters, they do well enough at covering up your dangly bits, which the now-naked man says is probably a good tradeoff.

There's a strange abundance of naked people about as of late, he notes after spending a moment admiring your newly clothed state. Naked, unfamiliar people. Such as Mr. Daniels over here, he indicates a man wearing only an apron and standing nearby, eager to resume conversation about pointy objects.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2016, 07:51:18 am »

"Which part of this was supposed to be difficult? Oh boys, this is so tempting..."

One vodka-filled grapefruit, please. Drink it up! Or eat it? Consume it? Either way, down it goes. And offer another strongly flavoured grapefruit to my cellmate. It would be rude to be the only one enjoying alcoholics, don't you think?

But wait, aren't these still my personal hallucinations? Hmm. Oh well, let's go all crazy in proper manner.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 01, 2016, 08:16:32 am »

Jack momentarily closes his eyes and goes to a mental place full of sharp things. It's a simpler place than wherever this is. Just draw a line in your head and cut. One point to the other. Nice and simple. Entrancing, even. There never was anything like a good sharp knife to just ... stare at and wonder what you could cut with it...

Oh right. People. Talking.

Jack shakes his head slightly as he comes out of his momentary self-distraction.
"Er, right. Yeah, that'd probably work. I just ... hmm. Do you think that rock the sacrifices are done on could be considered profane? Or would that be the sacrificial implement?
Do you know anyone who's not really that useful, maybe you don't like them all that much, wouldn't miss them if they were gone for some reason?"

Jack isn't quite registering that he's leading up to what he's leading up to, but the words come out of his mouth regardless.
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 01, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

"Right. Time to make a lot of people very angry."

Flare robe dramatically

"Prepare yourself. It's about to get Anime in this bitch."

Cup hands to side.

"Ka meeeee... HA MEEEEEEEE..."

Extent arms in direction of Stoats.

"Sun.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:12:03 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 01, 2016, 12:41:20 pm »

I head back into the well to grab a brick.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »

Better than nothing.  "Thank you most kindly, Mr... well, I am Thomas Minstep.  And that is Mr. Daniels, you say?"  Thomas turned his attention to the mentioned man.  "Mr. Daniels?  Maybe you happen to know what day it is?  I am quite late for an important meeting, I fear."

Converse
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »

"Oh, call me Jack. I'm not really sure why this Mr. and Ms. whatever business popped up, but it's overly formal.

And truth be told I'm not really sure what day it is.
You wouldn't happen to be from Earth, would you? I think there's a bunch of us people that got brought from there. You probably won't be getting to your meeting if that's the case."
Sig! Onol

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2016, 12:23:18 am »

Thomas frowned.  "Yes, of course I'm from Earth.  What do you even mean by that?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:12 am »

"Yeah, best to break it to you quickly, this ain't Earth. We're in some sort of fantasy world, apparently got summoned here by wizards. Or rather minders, apparently they do mind things. I dunno. Point is, this place aint earth, it's ... Angelspoon or something."
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 161