Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259912 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Recycled, But Formidable
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:49 am »

Mr Codeburn's obviously a dangerous criminal who leaves people stranded in pits and violently steals clothes. Or maybe he's just confused and misguided. Either way point to where he went.

Just after the priestess leaves, Benny waves to Eileen. "Hiya. Benny Calverly. Sorry about the nakedness."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:09:35 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:20 am »

Nav y
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2015, 07:44:58 am »

"The honorable turnkey has informed you correctly. You see, when I woke up today I wasn't in my own bed. Instead I found myself in a tub filled with rats. Rather unpleasant way to wake up, I assure you. And I wasn't the only one, there was four other people in similar situation. These rat filled tubes were underground room under the country yard. Now, in the room were three other men who I assume were responsible of bringing us here. I assume this because one them welcomed us and said something about salvation. At this point I'm afraid he might have died, so his introductions and explanations were cut short. As for why remaining two weren't helpful is because they were missing their heads. Presumably removed by the remaining man as his hands were in quite bad shape. You see, "salvation" and "imprisonment" are not synonyms, therefore I'm led to presume my imprisonment is a mistake by overzealous guards, who took offense in my desire to quickly find a bath."

Wow, what a mouthful. Loki is better be proud.

Elaborated.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2015, 11:20:03 am »

I also point to where Mr. Codeburn went. He seems like trouble.

I then turn to Mr. Calverly. "Hey, I'm Eileen. It's no big deal, it took me a lot of effort to find this dress. Have you figured anything out about this place?"

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2015, 02:08:35 pm »

"No, not much. Someone did said something about demons and minders and stoats coming to kill us but he was probably a conspiracy theorist."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »

"I don't know, I talked to the queen and she said something similar about stoatmen. And a servant said everyone was going to die soon. It seems to be common knowledge around here."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06:44 am »

Don the robe. Make sack a regular sack of gold. Go hide somewhere.

You slip out of your gold-backed tunic, noting that in your body's absence it appears to have four large holes in it of roughly the diameter of your limbs. It is these very holes that seem to make actual storage of gold in it mostly impossible (well, unless you're simultaneously wearing it, in which case it might lose a coin or two every now and then, but not a whole lot in any case.

You feel naked without the warm embrace of your gold, which is appropriate since you totally are. So you slip into the new robe you stole with some quickness, and note that it's much softer than the combination of gold and burlap you were wearing before, and less grubby than your average sack of potatoes.

Of course, now you do happen to have a large pile of gold on the chapel floor, which seems quite conspicuous. And the priestess checking the place right next door for anyone caring to disrupt her heresy also seems to be a perfectly plausible thing. Lacking any cover, you go for the obvious plan and hide in plain sight, burying yourself in the gold on the ground. It works pretty well once you curl up, you think! You can't really see anything underneath all the warm coins, of course, but the principle is sound. And you can surprise any would-be looters, too.

"Huh. Prevail against what? And ya gonna make a sword or something? Not to brag but I'm a fairly good warrior, so if you wanted to make me a weapon so I'm less likely to die here I wouldn't be complaining."

More questions!

"The forces of darkness!" the boy explains. You ask him which ones he would mean, and he relays to you with much exclamation that there happens to be a mess of those in the area. Weird-looking lads with long torsos and short limbs, stoatmen. They want to kill everyone in the castle, you see. Including the fair princess. Well, she's queen now, actually, but essentially a princess for the purposes of this narrative.

Enlightening, you must say. What about the weapon? You're a punching, kicking sort of person, but you'd suppose stabbing is a more practical solution for the mass murder he likely means. Collapsing that many tracheae would be tough on the ol' knuckles.

He and you are clearly on the same page, you think he says, and you've got a certain orlay to your step. But that brings him to the issue at hand, which is that he has no weapons for you. He made one, but it was not anywhere near hero material. Didn't shine, didn't glimmer, didn't slice through stone, didn't have an insatiable hunger for blood.

Only reasonable thing to do was to melt it down, clearly. There shall be no average blades in the hands of our heroes, this the boy can guarantee.

Mr Codeburn's obviously a dangerous criminal who leaves people stranded in pits and violently steals clothes. Or maybe he's just confused and misguided. Either way point to where he went.

Just after the priestess leaves, Benny waves to Eileen. "Hiya. Benny Calverly. Sorry about the nakedness."

You and Ms. Minett helpfully point the priestess straight toward the chapel. She looks and her eyes narrow. "I should have known," she mutters, gripping the sharp spike in her hand a little tighter as she heads straight for it, pushing the doors open and casting an eye inside for a moment before stepping in cautiously. You suppose that's sorted, then.

You then proceed to have an absolutely delightful chat with Ms. Minett about what exactly is going on around here. Finally, someone vaguely helpful.

"The honorable turnkey has informed you correctly. You see, when I woke up today I wasn't in my own bed. Instead I found myself in a tub filled with rats. Rather unpleasant way to wake up, I assure you. And I wasn't the only one, there was four other people in similar situation. These rat filled tubes were underground room under the country yard. Now, in the room were three other men who I assume were responsible of bringing us here. I assume this because one them welcomed us and said something about salvation. At this point I'm afraid he might have died, so his introductions and explanations were cut short. As for why remaining two weren't helpful is because they were missing their heads. Presumably removed by the remaining man as his hands were in quite bad shape. You see, "salvation" and "imprisonment" are not synonyms, therefore I'm led to presume my imprisonment is a mistake by overzealous guards, who took offense in my desire to quickly find a bath."

Wow, what a mouthful. Loki is better be proud.

Elaborated.

The guard looks on as you explain, raising an eyebrow at the mention of dead bodies in the old courtyard well. But he says nothing until you are done.

"Noted," he says, then takes a minute to consider you. "The circumstances are not genuinely extenuating, and do not excuse assault on the citizenry. The information provided is of interest, however, and qualifies the imprisoned for a reduction of jail time by half."

And how much does that leave you with, you wonder?

"Until nightfall," the guard replies. "The normal time would be until morning, but we can safely make an exception in an extraordinary case. The imprisoned will also be bestowed with a bucket of water. The bucket will need to be returned. The water will not."

I also point to where Mr. Codeburn went. He seems like trouble.

I then turn to Mr. Calverly. "Hey, I'm Eileen. It's no big deal, it took me a lot of effort to find this dress. Have you figured anything out about this place?"

You and Mr. Calverly show the priestess the way, and she seems a mixture of thankful and starkly murderous. She runs off after Mr. Codeburn to hopefully resolve their moral differences in a friendly and/or lawful fashion, leaving you in front of an empty... well, you'd say it's kind of a negative ruin, since the nearby chapel appears to have been partially undone to build this ugly thing.

You make good use of your time by having a chat with Mr. Calverly. He seems a bit less informed than you on things, and that's quite a lack of information indeed.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:28:12 am by Harry Baldman »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2015, 10:36:01 am »

"I can accept that. Oh, one question! How much this is worth around here?"

Show him the gold coin (but don't give it). Maybe it is actually worth of something, maybe he's greedy enough. I'm not implying bribery taking place here, no sir, banish the thought. But, you know, just in case. For future reference.

Well then, when water is finally delivered use it to carefully clean myself and the skirt in some corner of the cell. Keep warm and wait for nightfall unless something interesting happens.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2015, 03:53:56 pm »

Make no sudden movements, excepting the case in which I am discovered, in which move very quickly towards the face of my discoverer, whilst leading with the brick.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2015, 04:32:02 pm »

"I wonder what this place is supposed to be." I walk into the un-ruin.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2015, 05:31:21 pm »

...I'm more okay with this situation than you'd think someone would be.

"Alright then. Want me to help you melt it down? And presumably make a new one?"

Offer assistance! Contemplate my psychological condition!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:11 pm »

"I think it's some kind of church or temple."
Stay with Eileen for now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2015, 09:56:06 pm »

"I can accept that. Oh, one question! How much this is worth around here?"

Show him the gold coin (but don't give it). Maybe it is actually worth of something, maybe he's greedy enough. I'm not implying bribery taking place here, no sir, banish the thought. But, you know, just in case. For future reference.

Well then, when water is finally delivered use it to carefully clean myself and the skirt in some corner of the cell. Keep warm and wait for nightfall unless something interesting happens.

You show the guard your gold coin, making sure to wipe it a little to make sure it's shiny enough. He examines it carefully, having a little trouble deciphering what it might be in the dark before it suddenly clicks and he nods.

"That is worth exactly one royal gold piece," he tells you. "The function of currency is to provide usable units of value that goods may be easily pegged to in order to avoid the grave imprecision of a barter economy."

Very well, then how much is a single crown worth?

"The accepted exchange rate last month was 1147 gold pieces per living rat or 679 gold pieces per dead rat. Due to shortage of rats in the Treasury the royal gold piece may be undergoing rapid inflation, but nothing more specific than that can be said of the matter, as the Royal Treasurer has not made his monthly report on account of unexpected insanity," the guard tells you.

Meanwhile, the industrious turnkey seems to have brought along a bucket of fresh water. He opens the door slightly and shuffles it in with his foot, then closes and locks it again.

"Are there more questions, or will that be all?" the elderly guard asks with mounting boredom.

Make no sudden movements, excepting the case in which I am discovered, in which move very quickly towards the face of my discoverer, whilst leading with the brick.

You continue to passively hide, trying not to move. You go very still. Then you inhale slowly. To be exact, you continue inhaling, and what you continue to inhale seems to be a fine dust that has accumulate on your gold after months of disuse. Smells  musty. Maybe a little moldy. It tickles your sinuses, and you don't manage to upturn the tip of your nose in time.

An upward spout of coins and a powerful rustle of your hidey-pile follows as you let loose an unguarded sneeze. A few gold coins slip off your eyes entirely, giving you a good view in the next few seconds of an enraged king-priestess running toward you with deadly intent.

Reacting quickly, you swing your arm and let the brick fly, guided mostly by instinct. Most surprisingly of all, it flies very truly indeed, sailing through the air and making contact with her forehead. By the sound of it you'd say that's probably not a very healthy development for her, and she seems to agree, stumbling mid-step and falling to the ground with the barest minimum of coordination, the spike falling out of her hand and rolling a slight distance away from her as she curls up on the stone floor.

Rising from your sadly ineffectual hiding spot, you observe her for any sudden moves. She doesn't really make any, but she does mutter a few jumbled-sounding prayers intermixed with groans as she rolls on her back. You'd say you've adequately dissuaded her from trying to kill you... for now, at least. Your brick proves elementary to reclaim in the meantime.

"I wonder what this place is supposed to be." I walk into the un-ruin.
"I think it's some kind of church or temple."
Stay with Eileen for now.

You enter the pseudo-temple and find it to be rather cramped. You need to duck to not bang your head on the entrance, there's room for about five people in there as a whole, and to top it all off the place looks to be half-filled with smoke.

Looks like Mr. Codeburn messed the place up a tad. The "room" is strewn with gold coins and tiny rodent bones, particularly near the naked-looking slab of an altar on which an undisturbed stone bowl filled with burning straw rests. There's not much here in the way of iconography, sacred treasure or informative pamphlets, so your ability to deduce exactly what sort of heresy goes on in here is unfortunately limited, but the general look is somewhat in line with what you assume heresy is probably like. Without a priest in here to keep your attention, though, it mostly looks quite empty.

...I'm more okay with this situation than you'd think someone would be.

"Alright then. Want me to help you melt it down? And presumably make a new one?"

Offer assistance! Contemplate my psychological condition!

The boy can do that himself, thank you very much. He does not need your strangler-hands muscling in on his creative work and compromising an auteur's vision.

No, what he needs is inspiration. Two- no, wait, THREE things! Yes, three things is what he needs. Three is a fantastic number for destiny. So what he needs are inspirational things, three in number... definitely three, yes. So if you want to help him, bring him three things! Something profane, something priceless and something purple!

Purple, you ask?

Purple, he confirms.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:40:13 am by Harry Baldman »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »

Quickly, put the sack on her upside down and then... Iunno. Sit on her. Add spike to inventory.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2015, 10:32:35 pm »

Jack shrugs.

"Okay, so long as I get to wield it in the end. Priceless in the good or bad sense?"

Take a look around the house shack thing. Is there another exit? Take a look outside if there is and see what's there.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161