Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259130 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: The Sun Is Also A Warrior
« Reply #675 on: February 22, 2016, 01:57:10 pm »

Huh.  Never thought I'd see ball lightning.  What odd properties.

Anyway, not going to be going out that way.  Forget a bicycle; I need a boat.

Locate the dockmaster around here.  Who is the master of boating?

[Master Boaters: 3]

You head down to the courtyard and ask for a dockmaster. You didn't see any docks on the riverside, at least not intact ones, but you remain optimistic. The people in the courtyard also seem quite drunk for the most part, which is an additional issue. Nevertheless, you inquire about the availability of any sort of master boater.

You what, is your answer in most cases. Hurgh, answers one particularly enlightened fellow. Eh, the naked dancing girl asks. The what now? You look politely away as you ask about any trusty master boaters in the area.

Master boaters, she repeats. Like the ferryman? Yes, you say, that probably is a better word for what you're looking for. She sits down on a nearby passed-out person. Well, she thinks really hard for a second. Ferryman might have been in town, she suggests? Maybe? She doesn't really know.

The town, you say. Does she mean the one on the opposite side of the river you are trying to cross? Yes, she says with a disarmingly honest smile. Exactly that town.

What wierd foreplay. Oh well, stoats can wait. Let's dance!

"Baby, I'll show you my moves..."

[Show Me Your Moves: 3]

She guides you along the platform, keeping you close as you step along in a delicate, asymmetric dance, correcting your missteps at every turn with delicate nudges and motions of her head, until you are right back in the middle again, a small trail of oddly descended wooden tiles left behind on the surface.

Very close, she says, resting her head on your shoulder from where she's maneuvered herself behind you. Now you need to step forward, she says - the exact sequence was... well, not entirely important, she would venture to guess. A few mistakes were made along the way anyway, she's reasonably sure. She then takes a discreet step back. This is as far as her reasoning will take you - from here you must improvise. Step to impress, she suggests with a mischievous smile.

"Hmm. I reckon this works, but it'd probably be better if I got it stitched shut or something. Who knows, maybe there's a doctor around these parts."

Go out of the church and ask the nearest sober person if there's a doctor or someone with needle and thread or something like that around here. If knight lady happens to be the only one available, ask her from a distance.

[Search for Sobriety: 2]

In a grim conflux of events it seems that Mr. Minstep is the only one in the courtyard able to at least pretend to be sober, and just from looking at him you get the sneaking suspicion that he will be of absolutely no help. Even the knight seems to have gone off somewhere.

Gah. Too late to stop now, though.
Push grate open fully, preferably with fingers this time. If not, headbutt grate again, though more carefully. With luck the damage won't be permanent.

[Twisting and Contorting: 3]

In a rather more painful set of movements than you anticipated, you manage to wrap the fingers of your right hand around the grate, and try to push outward - it takes effort, your leverage limited and your range of motion laughably small, but after some pushing you manage to push it away, overturning a pot on the other side, at which point you can push your arm out, then your other arm, and by using the outer wall as a bracing point you tear yourself out of the shaft, rolling out on the stone floor covered in unidentifiable sludge, breathing heavily as you suddenly enjoy the ability to be able to move more than a few inches. It is a surprisingly great feeling.

Your mandatory short rest completed, you look around, and you can't say you like what you see. The room you're now in looks to be rectangular and quite large, and also completely windowless. You're not sure what it smells like, your senses numbed from horrific confinement, but it looks like some long-forgotten basement. Spiderweb-laden pots line the walls, bags piled up in one corner, another corner featuring a pile of drapes in the final stages of burning up, the top of the room filled with smoke from the fire. In one corner you see the outline of a black door, the words 'Be Staying In Away' glowing softly green on it.

The rest of the room is strewn with upturned wooden tubs and other crap, and notably in the center you see a construction of tubs and what look like inscribed bricks, the goal of which appears to be to allow access to a chain hanging down from a stone shaft reminiscent of a well. There is little light in here, but even that manages to nearly blind you as you emerge from what you think was a completely dark little vent shaft.

You look back, something vaguely bothering you, and look at the hole you just crawled out of. It takes you a moment to realize it as you crawl toward it curiously, confirming that what you see is not a trick of the light - you put your hand into it experimentally. It... only barely fits.

I suppose the rat shit tunnel leads somewhere mundane... Honestly, though, it probably leads to these guys' heaven or something. They really do like rats.

Whatever lies ahead, I guess I should try to be as prepared as I possible. I sit down and try to rest against the wall as I contemplate my situation. What shape is the room? Rectangular, I suppose, with an exit on each wall? The positioning might have some symbolism. And which wall did I climb down?

[Architectural Considerations: 2]

With your luck, you suppose the exact function of each passageway is written clearly above each passageway, save perhaps the ratshit tunnel. In this complete lack of light, however, you don't think you can discern much more about what any of them could possibly be. Especially given that you're unfamiliar with any specific architectural conventions of this area. For all you know the layout could be just as much like an ancient Egyptian tomb as it could be a Swiss bomb shelter.

The spot you fell down from, however, seems to be in the middle of the room, a shaft right in the middle of the ceiling. Not even particularly hidden, it seems.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:15 pm »

"Right, that fellow who was passing around alcohol loses a few fingers or somesuch when I see them or figure out who they were, this is highly inconvenient."

Head inside the castle and repeat my reasonable request for help stitching this big honking wound of mine shut.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:50 pm »

Question of the century: barefooted tapdancing, breakdancing or ballette? It's gonna be one of those.

Barefooted tapdancing Breakdancing it is. It's gonna be INEVITABLY good.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:16:55 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 22, 2016, 04:01:44 pm »

Right, so... here we go, I guess. I put my back to the ratshit tunnel, turn left, then walk along the wall and enter the first door I encounter.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 22, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »

Okay... who here actually knew something?

The queen was smart, but she was asleep.  The captain wasn't very happy.  The minders?  Not helpful outside of their showbusiness.

Maybe the majordomo?  Sure, why not?

Find the majordomo; ask him about boating.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:28 pm »

Curiouser and curiouser...
Attempt to push whole arm into hole, then examine the grate, or more specifically its size.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:18 pm »

"Right, that fellow who was passing around alcohol loses a few fingers or somesuch when I see them or figure out who they were, this is highly inconvenient."

Head inside the castle and repeat my reasonable request for help stitching this big honking wound of mine shut.

Entering the castle, you ask politely for some help with your bisected kidney. It seems an issue you should address.

[Sound Medical Advice: 4]

A nearby guard agrees. If your kidney is indeed bisected, he would advise that you absolutely do not seek out the doctor. She lives in the closet right down that hall. Stay away from there if you want any help whatsoever, he advises.

Well, you say, what would he advise instead? The guard shrugs. Hold it tight? Hope for the best? Seems to have worked out well for you thus far, he points out.

Question of the century: barefooted tapdancing, breakdancing or ballette? It's gonna be one of those.

Barefooted tapdancing it is. It's gonna be INEVITABLY good.

[Nine Secret Steps: 6]

You don't have any shoes, which somewhat limits the effectiveness of your tapdancing, but you work out a good rhythm, feet tapping hypnotically as you meet the gaze of the lady, who follows your movements with a satisfied look, her glances and small flickers of expression following certain turns and twists of your body with undisguised joy. You have a good feeling about this - your success is a matter of time. Luck does not quite factor into it.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 2]

The word resonates, but no hastening is required. Your path is optimal.

You do that very well, she says as you move across the floor, bits of it clicking and reacting under your feet. She grows increasingly pleased as the floor begins to slide in places, reconfiguring in your wake into strange shapes. She urges you on, her breathing growing shallow as she beholds the unfolding of the grand design.

You only barely notice this, of course, being really quite drunk at the moment, and this state of blissful ignorance lasts right up until you manage to tap your way into a pit that you could have sworn wasn't there a moment ago. The woman gasps at your fall, but before you plunge into the dark you see a look of vindication and triumph in her eyes.

The pit swallows you readily, locking up before you even hit the ground below. Well, not the ground - what you hit is clearly wood of the same immaculate finish as the dance floor above, a distinct lack of splinters signalling to you carpentry of the very highest quality even in the absence of proper visibility. Resting comfortably on the elaborately carved wall of this cylindrical shaft, you ponder what this stage of foreplay might be for. Though you do think you feel a pair of eyes watching you from the darkness. Probably some kind of weird kink she has. You don't judge.

Right, so... here we go, I guess. I put my back to the ratshit tunnel, turn left, then walk along the wall and enter the first door I encounter.

[The Process of Elimination: 3]

Knowing full well how one solves a maze, you take the leftward path. Relatively leftward path. The path that's left from the ratshit passage. The death does seem unusually righteous in that direction.

[Feet of the Unwary: 1]

Indeed, it practically sears as it sails through your upper torso as if it weren't even there, a spring-loaded murder machine cleaving your flesh like so much delicious marmalade. The pain comes in a wave as a wave of warm blood.

You stand still a moment, awaiting the dramatic moment where your body diagonally separates in a sliding motion - it doesn't quite come. You hear the priestess cackle again, the swing of the blade trap like music to her concussed ears.

Okay... who here actually knew something?

The queen was smart, but she was asleep.  The captain wasn't very happy.  The minders?  Not helpful outside of their showbusiness.

Maybe the majordomo?  Sure, why not?

Find the majordomo; ask him about boating.

[The Majordomo: 2]

Where could he have gone? You walk around the courtyard, then into the keep, and call his... well, his occupation several times. A guard tells you to simmer down. The majordomo is apparently indisposed at the moment, he says. Probably still naked, in fact.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Attempt to push whole arm into hole, then examine the grate, or more specifically its size.

[Meditations Upon A Hole: 3]

Your arm does kind of fit, allowing you to grab at whole fistfuls of anonymous sludge if you felt like it. You definitely can't get it further in than up to your shoulder, though.

That done, you pull your arm out and look at the grate. It seems to be a perfect fit for the arm-sized hole, and... somewhat fine in its grating, to be perfectly honest, your fingers not fitting into the holes particularly well.

Looking at the hole, however, produces no more insight. It is what it is. And you are what you are. One of those two statements, however, is starting to seem increasingly flexible in its application.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 24, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »

"Naked?  That seems to be contagious around here.  Well, if he's done changing clothes, I'd like to see him now."

Continue the search!  Miss any innuendo.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 24, 2016, 04:36:59 pm »

"Duly noted, she's one of those doctors then. Is there any needle and thread around here that I could stitch this shut with, then? It's a bit troublesome to hold this shut and get my stuff with only one hand."
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 24, 2016, 04:42:00 pm »

Strange. Ah, well, there are more pressing matters at hand.
Search through the junk for anything which looks sharp enough to cut the sacks, a container of water (you never know, right?) or anything else which looks like it might be useful.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 24, 2016, 08:17:25 pm »

"Ow." That should probably have hurt more than it did.

Traps mean there's a reason to keep people out of here, though. So going down this hallway shouldn't be certain death. I walk forward, watching out for any more traps.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 24, 2016, 11:55:11 pm »

This is probably still going in the good direction. Probably. As long as it doesn't get too weird.

"Shorry 'bout that. Didn't notice the hole. Let's keep going!"

Try figure out what she wants now and do it. Maybe it's more dancing? I'm fine with that.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Returning Dark
« Reply #687 on: February 25, 2016, 10:32:27 am »

"Naked?  That seems to be contagious around here.  Well, if he's done changing clothes, I'd like to see him now."

Continue the search!  Miss any innuendo.

[Resolution of Nudity: 6]

Your repeated request is met with a raised eyebrow from the guard, though not one aimed at you. After he answers Mr. Daniels' question he seems to have noticed something along the far wall. You look as well, and see the majordomo. He appears to be still naked, creeping perishingly slowly toward the stairs. Upon being sighted by the both of you he freezes in place, his decency preserved only by a well-placed pot he seems to have gone to considerable lengths to acquire.

You stare at him a few moments, and he stares back, looking quite dreadfully embarrassed. That is, until he notices Mr. Daniels next to you, and his eyes flash with fearfulness.

"Duly noted, she's one of those doctors then. Is there any needle and thread around here that I could stitch this shut with, then? It's a bit troublesome to hold this shut and get my stuff with only one hand."

[Supplies for the Needy: 3]

Not any he knows of. Most people tend to hoard theirs, he says. Keep their own clothes in order as long as possible and all that. Though needles shouldn't be that difficult to find, truth be told - thread's the thing to watch out for. Place collectively ran out of sinew ages ago, he believes.

Strange. Ah, well, there are more pressing matters at hand.
Search through the junk for anything which looks sharp enough to cut the sacks, a container of water (you never know, right?) or anything else which looks like it might be useful.

[The Well's Bounty: 6]

Well, there do seem to be shards of glass likely originating from a broken blue bottle of some kind strewn about in places (shouldn't walk around barefoot), a particular clay pot contains some thick water that a rat appears to have been unable to get out of before suffocation began and there also appears to be a great deal of gold hidden within the sacks. Real, honest-to-goodness gold without any apparent owner or guard, which, while obviously too good to be true, nevertheless affords you a nice opportunity to daydream about untold riches.

Other than that, the room appears strewn with a whole lot of useless crap, coming in varieties from cobwebbed to rotten to moldy to exploded. If walls could talk, you'd bet these ones could spin some pretty intriguing stories.

"Ow." That should probably have hurt more than it did.

Traps mean there's a reason to keep people out of here, though. So going down this hallway shouldn't be certain death. I walk forward, watching out for any more traps.

Ignoring the possibility that certain death may be placed between the start of the hallway and your likely destination, you soldier on. You're a tough gal, you think. Will take more than mere bisection to take you down.

[Blundering In The Dark: 3]

Your feet snag on old tripwires, your weight presses down on a variety of mechanical triggers, and the ominous sound and terrible pain of flesh-rending machinery fills the corridor. And you dodge... er, about half of it, you'd say. It's hard to tell sometimes if you've walked into a spring-loaded blade or a bucketload of poison darts or fortuitously dodged out of something even more horrible lurking nearby - either case seems entirely possible from the sounds you hear and the ominous winds brought about by your dangerous progress.

Eventually, however, the traps abate. Not a moment too soon, you think as you take a moment to catch your breath, wearily picking out a selection of steel flechettes from your back. Of course, you still can't see a damn thing. But you do feel like the passage has widened, probably into a larger room of some kind. A larger room that does not seem to be actively trying to kill you as well, provoking immediate distrust on your part.

This is probably still going in the good direction. Probably. As long as it doesn't get too weird.

"Shorry 'bout that. Didn't notice the hole. Let's keep going!"

Try figure out what she wants now and do it. Maybe it's more dancing? I'm fine with that.

[An Honest Question: 6]

You figure you'll just ask the lady what you're supposed to do now. You kind of recall where she was, so you just send out some happy thoughts and questions her way, which are met with not inconsiderable surprise as her mind recoils from yours.

She... well, she doesn't quite know what you're supposed to do now. Her master... is going to see you now? Something like that ought to happen. You hear a scratching noise from somewhere nearby, seemingly made in response. Something moving, crawling not far from your position. You orient your head in its direction instinctively as you start to lazily tapdance again.

It's odd. You bring your hand forward to confirm. There is a wall in front of you, its screw-like spiral shape feeling intriguing on your fingers. Behind the wall, though, you see something in the dark. Two miniscule points, little eyes gleaming in your mind as they emit a soft white light, unblinking as they circle your position, never breaking eye contact.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:34:25 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 25, 2016, 10:47:05 am »

Odd that he left before he finished dressing.  Well, everyone here is odd.

"Ah!  Mr. Majordomo, sir!  You're a knowledgeable fellow, right?  I need to get to the highway, but the bridge appears to be out!  Is there a dockmaster or boat or something I could use to cross the river?  I can't get to Albany staying in this castle, you know."

Continue to pester people.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:22 am »

"What if I got some clothes, would there be anyone able to use the thread from them to do the stitching?"

More subtly implied violence, the usual.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 161