Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 259709 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: a Deep, Dark Well
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2016, 03:06:20 am »

"Sounds like it fits. Prophecy's pretty nice that way in how it can be moulded. And it even works as well, in that I need to get some things to get that blacksmith kid to make me a kickass sword. Do you have anything purple on you? Also do you mind following me to that there sacrificial stone there since you've fulfilled your part of fate and all?"

Purple? That's rather specific, isn't it? The priest can't really help you on that front, unfortunately, as he is not exactly known for his wealth of colorful objects. He's more into the golds and the oranges, as you could presumably see if his robe wasn't absolutely ruined with copious amounts of Mr. Codeburn's blood.

MOON

And yes, he would very much mind following you to the blasphemous circle of stones where all the bloody heretics congregate to perform ritual sacrifice to their dark gods. And the way you're not even bothering to pretend you don't intend to end his life on a sacrificial slab makes him wonder if the kind and generous offer of getting in on this sweet prophetic action was a bit too easily given.

Inhaling is not the proper way, you know? Drink it. Or eat it.
Utmost enjoyment as it provides, it is not perfect yet. It needs an island. And on the island should be a church. Burning one. My little bonfire. Burning stone church! You know, we used to have our fun with those. Gotta remember our history. And respect it. Maybe repeat it, too?

And I need to be dressed properly for Valhalla's drinking party. An armor, like this one. The helmet, the cape, pants and the works. Hammer is not necessary, but would be a nice touch.

"What was it you shaid, a place of its own for my mind to reside in? My happy place. I think I found it... By Freyja's big tits, I didn't know hallucinations could be so effective. Free booze for everybody! I love you, shister! Where do I find those mints? Minders, I mean. I shaid minders, right?"

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down there! An... uh, island. Made of something, yeah. With a church. On fire. And it's... like, built on something. What was that first thing again? Armor? You guess you could have armor. It feels heavy. Man, these grapefruits go right to your head, don't they?

Wait! Minders! Those are... in the tower? Wait, you don't see any tower in here. Is she sure? She sounds like she's quite sure. The real tower, she adds.

"Ah, so more, 'Spirit bomb' than 'Great turtle wave'. Gotcha. Hm... Oh, hey guy. What's your name again?"

Focus intently on my own Defence. Moon.

MOON

Once more the dust rises and flies to you, growing sharp and formidable, covering you from head to toe in an ostensibly protective shell, covering you fully, even the inside of your ears and the corners of your eyes and in every other crevice you'd care to- okay, that's far enough! You bid it to stop!

It doesn't stop. It gets everywhere. And only then does it stop. You try to shake the dust off, but you're not sure it's working.

With how abrasive this stuff is, you're not sure you want to open your eyes.

Elbow I must, most gently.  They do not understand how important this meeting is!  Was!  Whatever!

"Excuse me!  I must find the majordomo!

You elbow a nearby servant in the kidney, and as he doubles over you use his back as a springboard to execute a very handsome frog splash, stating your urgent need mid-air. No time to waste, after all. This proves very expedient, as you manage to land on a particularly soft group of different servants, having made very good headway through the foyer at this point.

A kitchen girl stares up at you, looking very much surprised and also favorably oriented for a conversation, markedly unlike the several people under her. You ask her if she's seen the majordomo anywhere. She looks up. You look up also. There appears to be a terrified, silvery-haired man wearing an unfavorable combination of green and purple finery standing nearby. Would he be the majordomo, you ask. He thinks about it a moment, backing away slightly. A shaggy chambermaid elbows him back forward.

Yes, he gulps. Yes, he is the majordomo. You're not going to hurt him, are you? He is old and fragile. Please don't hurt him.

Woah. I step inside.

"My desire: knowledge of magic. My question: how do we leave this place?"

The door fuses shut behind you, leaving you in complete darkness and silence. You cannot hear yourself as you speak in here, your words falling into the nucleus of the dark well before they even issue from your throat. You feel it snake about, coming alive at your presence, at your engagement.

It has been some time. Welcome.

Your fulfillment: high compatibility with the well simplifies acquisition of abilities designated 'magical' (see magic, minding, universality of language). Abilities will be phrased as words (see words, phrasing, ambiguity): HUNGER, DEEP, SEEK. One may be chosen. Alternative: desire can be interpreted as additional question, no words.

Your answer: through disruption your mind can be returned to the well (see disruption, vessels, the well). Methods of leaving area designated as Anglefork Castle include, but are not limited to destruction of besieging forces (see magic, improvised technology, brute force), cooperation with besieging forces (see betrayal, stoatman codes, universality of language), avoidance of besieging forces (see flight, invisibility, skulduggery). Methods of reaching a different world can be found in regions of extreme conditions (see corner of the world, halfway temple, time-enders).

Your price: a connection now belongs to the well.

Spoiler: Hot Tip of the Day (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:35:03 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2016, 04:01:50 am »

Jack puts up a look of feeling affronted.

"What? No! No no no. I'm not intending to sacrifice you on the slab, no you're far too useful. I'm intending to sacrifice someone else. See, you're a priest! Even though you apparently follow different gods or whatever to those who do the sacrificial bit, I figure that if you help me preside over the ceremony, maybe dedicate it to the sun and moon and all, it'll be a bit more effective, ya ken? Best go more than needed when dealing with mystical fuckery. 'Sides, can't hurt, except the poor sod we're going to be sacrificing, but maybe there's ... this is a castle, right? Maybe after going and conferring with the ... oh right he gave his pants to that other guy - after conferring with the muscular naked guy on how exactly we're gonna conduct this whole deal so we can make it as pleasing to the sun, moon, and blood gods as possible, maybe we can nip down to the dungeon I assume is here and grab someone there to chop up? They're probably not doing much good in there anyway, right?

Oh! And priceless, if you have or know of anything priceless, in both the good or bad sense, I could use that too. Or more accurately the blacksmith kid could, but you get the point."

I'm still not quite comfortable with how fast I've warmed up to the notion of human sacrifice, but hey it might work, and it'll get me a profane thing anyway.

Hopefully be convincing in my creepiness.

((I'm not sure why I'm trying to convince this innocent guy to let me sacrifice him on a bloody stone altar for no clear benefit to me, but I'll be damned if I don't kill someone at some point!))
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:06:34 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2016, 04:54:56 am »

Hold on, hold your horses! I'm getting too drunk too fast! Moderation, everything in moderation! Even drinking! What is real anyway?

"What is real anyway?"

Back to my personal elemental plane of vodka fruits and burning churches.
Island. An island made of stone. Stone is simple. I work with stone. I know stone. Stone is safe. Stone is strong.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:45 am »

There are ROLLS? I forgot this was an rtd. Why can't I see them?

Focus on making the moonstone bigger.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2016, 09:53:05 am »

((Rolls?  We don't need no steenkin rools.))

Thomas was surprised with himself; that was rather more physical effort than he ever put forth. That said, the meeting WAS important.

"Yes!  No!  No, I won't hurt him!  He just has what I need to make sure I get back in time to speak to Mr. Munderly!  Thank you!"

Continue to push forward!  Maybe without jumping on anyone, but this is indeed urgent.

"Mr Majordomo, sir!  What day is it?  I must get back to Mr. Munderly and not miss my meeting!  Which way is Sureness Assurance?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2016, 10:05:12 am »

Not sure what a connection is... but this seems like the most progress I've made all day. "I will pay your price. I choose the word HUNGER."

I then attempt to leave the well.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 04, 2016, 06:25:04 pm »

Jack puts up a look of feeling affronted.

"What? No! No no no. I'm not intending to sacrifice you on the slab, no you're far too useful. I'm intending to sacrifice someone else. See, you're a priest! Even though you apparently follow different gods or whatever to those who do the sacrificial bit, I figure that if you help me preside over the ceremony, maybe dedicate it to the sun and moon and all, it'll be a bit more effective, ya ken? Best go more than needed when dealing with mystical fuckery. 'Sides, can't hurt, except the poor sod we're going to be sacrificing, but maybe there's ... this is a castle, right? Maybe after going and conferring with the ... oh right he gave his pants to that other guy - after conferring with the muscular naked guy on how exactly we're gonna conduct this whole deal so we can make it as pleasing to the sun, moon, and blood gods as possible, maybe we can nip down to the dungeon I assume is here and grab someone there to chop up? They're probably not doing much good in there anyway, right?

Oh! And priceless, if you have or know of anything priceless, in both the good or bad sense, I could use that too. Or more accurately the blacksmith kid could, but you get the point."

I'm still not quite comfortable with how fast I've warmed up to the notion of human sacrifice, but hey it might work, and it'll get me a profane thing anyway.

Hopefully be convincing in my creepiness.

((I'm not sure why I'm trying to convince this innocent guy to let me sacrifice him on a bloody stone altar for no clear benefit to me, but I'll be damned if I don't kill someone at some point!))

Dedicate it to the... goodness, you are very foreign indeed. Right-thinking followers of the Sun and Moon do not sacrifice people, dammit! It is simply not done! It's not right!

MOON

You have but one retort: why's that, then? Is there any scripture forbidding it?

This gives Sun-Mouth Prudence a bit of pause. He thinks a moment. Er... not as such, he thinks. Not specifically, at least. There is something of a prohibition against murder, granted, but if you can get around that, well... hm. Hm! Human sacrifice... voluntary human sacrifice, mind you, now there's a way to show your commitment to the Sun and Moon. The most valuable thing you have, given up without reservation. Quite a romantic concept. He catches himself seriously considering it. You think you have an in.

But the bone carver (that's the naked man, apparently) cannot participate. He mustn't participate. Even if you do get a volunteer. He's not of the Sun and Moon, and he has a nasty tendency to make everything about his absurd and heretical worldview. Maybe you should get your own slab, just to be safe. Not that... he'd advise that you try this... or anything, the Sun-Mouth explains as he tries to shrug his way into plausible deniability. Oh, look at that giant moon rock! The Child of the Sun and Moon has done it again!

You have to say - that is really a giant moon rock.

Hold on, hold your horses! I'm getting too drunk too fast! Moderation, everything in moderation! Even drinking! What is real anyway?

"What is real anyway?"

Back to my personal elemental plane of vodka fruits and burning churches.
Island. An island made of stone. Stone is simple. I work with stone. I know stone. Stone is safe. Stone is strong.

These peach grapefruits sure taste real. And you're really drunk. You think your cellmate is real, but you don't actually see her anywhere. There was a reason for that, you recall. What was it?

And yeah, stone! An island of stone. A skerry, if you will. That clarifies things. Perfect place for a blazing church. You can smell the smoke even now. Hope the sea doesn't catch fire. Well, at least now while you're in it. Can you control that? You think you can control that. Maybe it's more fun to forget that you can, though.

There are ROLLS? I forgot this was an rtd. Why can't I see them?

Focus on making the moonstone bigger.

MOON

[Word: 5]

The moonstone begins to spin rapidly, and the dust ebbs from the surroundings, accumulating as you focus upon the stone. It grows and grows, and grows further still, first to the size of your head... then to the size of your body. Then just a little bit larger, rendering the surrounding area completely spotless, including yourself. A much-needed bit of relief, you would say.

Hm. There appears to be a several ton boulder hanging over your head. You regard it with concern, and it politely moves to the side a little.

((Rolls?  We don't need no steenkin rools.))

Thomas was surprised with himself; that was rather more physical effort than he ever put forth. That said, the meeting WAS important.

"Yes!  No!  No, I won't hurt him!  He just has what I need to make sure I get back in time to speak to Mr. Munderly!  Thank you!"

Continue to push forward!  Maybe without jumping on anyone, but this is indeed urgent.

"Mr Majordomo, sir!  What day is it?  I must get back to Mr. Munderly and not miss my meeting!  Which way is Sureness Assurance?"

You rise to your feet, pushing toward the majordomo. In fact, it is in moments that you reach him. Disappointed, you push him a little further along as well. It is an energizing sort of determination that seems to have overcome you.

The majordomo seems to have no clue what you're talking about, however, aside from being able to tell you that today is definitely Friday, July 23rd, 409 S.D.

Alternative calendars, you guess. Committed people you're dealing with here.

The commotion seems to have died down a little. Guess whatever differences were had upstairs, they are probably settled now. The servants fidget to themselves. One steps higher upstairs, peeking at what's going on there for now.

Not sure what a connection is... but this seems like the most progress I've made all day. "I will pay your price. I choose the word HUNGER."

I then attempt to leave the well.

The price is accepted upon stating a desire and a question. Further acceptance is irrelevant.

The word is yours. It settles painlessly, your insides parting the way for it effortlessly in a dimension you were previously unaware you possessed, a solid kernel of want taking shape in the ultimate destination. It makes you feel a slight craving for fresh spacetime. You do your best to oblige this craving, and step out through the door. It behaves as a liquid curtain, bending around you as you pass through unimpeded. The darkness of the corpse-filled basement feels uncomfortably bright as you emerge into it.

Thank you. Come again.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2016, 06:45:28 pm »

Test how far I can control the thing. Move it over an empty space inside the walls, then continually ascend it until I lose control or it gets really small.

After that, try to infuse the moonstone with the FIERY POWER OF THE SUN.

"If this works I'm totally calling it the Eclipse... something."
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2016, 07:38:23 pm »

Okay, magical powers. Let's see how this works. I climb out of the well, point at the naked man, and say "HUNGER."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2016, 08:20:29 pm »

"Hmm. What if we sacrificed him, then? But not tell him it's for the sun and moon until we've done it so he goes willingly?

Oh dear that's a rather large rock."

Engage in preliminary backstabbery, move out of the way of the floating rock.

((Plan doubledoubledoublecross is a go.))
Sig! Onol

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2016, 08:40:29 pm »

"Hell yeah it is!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 05, 2016, 12:55:52 am »

"Indeed. I hope it doesn't fall on me. Though since it's apparently a moon rock, I don't think it will. Can't be too sure though.
Do you have anything priceless or purple on you, by chance?"
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 05, 2016, 01:55:05 am »

Oh no, it's more fun to control it. "In immortal words of... very smart dude: I'm the captain of my soul, the master of my fate, the lord of free vodka!"

It would be problem if the sea of ethanol were to ignite. That would be end of my wonderful state of intoxication. So! The church must be up higher! Churches are naturally built next to high cliffs, or at least this one is. Will be. Is now. Much like this. Nice tilted island. Swim to the shore. Sit on that nice golden bench. Open another bottle.

"Maybe I should bring Valhalla here, then gods would be much closer and easier to reach..."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:08 am »

"Gimme like ten minutes and the expressions on that army over there is gonna be exactly what you need."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2016, 09:05:27 am »

Thomas sighed.  Maybe if he went at it the other way...

"Okay, so... where's this place again?  What's nearby?  Where's the nearest big city?"

Pester pester ask ask
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 161