Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 161

Author Topic: Our Salvation: It Is Written  (Read 258371 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Our Salvation: Maybe Just Omit The Human Sacrifice
« Reply #2100 on: March 26, 2017, 07:40:05 pm »

This is like with the worm?  "Mr sword, a little help?"

Can the sword help here?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:40 pm »

Jack nods, and hands over the head. "All that sounds pretty good, Two Shores, but I did have one other thing in mind, maybe after you go tell the captain about what happened," he ventures.  "Fancy a spar? No weapons so we don't hurt each other and the surroundings, perhaps? I haven't had a good one in ages. Maybe I'll meet you back here after I go get my juggler's foot and tell Big Dipper about his promotion?"

He looks extra earnest, just in case that'll help him.

Ask for a sparring match? Regardless of whether I'm denied or not, go head back to the kitchen/mess hall place afterwards to go check on my juggler's foot order.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:34 pm »

I think a moment and talk to Lee: "How about we split up then? You know exactly what we are looking for, Bruce might not be exactly clear about it but will be helpful. We can cover more ground separatedly and therefore find it faster. After one of us finds it we will meet up here again. And since my fate is tied to the box, I would say finding the box is..."

The Word INEVITABLE hangs on tip of my tongue. Lee is smart girl, she should figure out what is the missing Word that's about to come.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 28, 2017, 07:20:51 am »

Ouch. Glad to see this Word is as dangerous as the other ones. Satisfying, though.

I search for the doctor and Oggie. If they seem to be okay, I begin ushering them away from this place. We probably don't want to be here long enough to find out what that glowy underground thing is.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 28, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »

Ring the service bell, greet anything that arrives.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 28, 2017, 05:11:56 pm »

This is like with the worm?  "Mr sword, a little help?"

Can the sword help here?

It's a lot like the worm except this time the slime is less the internal fluids of a giant invertebrate and more your own blood squeezed out of your limbs as you've been crushed half to death by an unforgiving landslide of stone. You figure it's similar enough in principle for the sword to be helpful.

I say, you say! Mister Sword! Is there something that could be done about this sticky wicket?

[The Bones of the Earth: 6]

One can't help but say that there is! A very palatable solution to all parties involved save perhaps a fellow or six whose opinions will shortly become irrelevant, one would then elaborate. Hold a moment.

There is a sudden extension from your hand as bands of sudden muted gray streak along your vision, then shoot off into the distance, more felt than seen as they head out every which way, making the earth softly seize in revulsion as a grossly unnatural power winds its tendrils through its bowels until finally it strikes home.

A sudden sense of relief overtakes you before it in turn is overpowered by an enormous sensation of pressure as you feel squeezed down to a third of your usual number of dimensions. It feels reductive, yet oddly satisfying to be a creature of pure length and little else, though you can't say you get to enjoy the status for long before suddenly expanding once more.

What you seem to have expanded into, however, appears to be some sort of small chamber, a sort of meeting-place between quite a few subterranean tunnels, gently lit by an oil lamp that you appear to have overturned along with a solid wooden table with your sudden appearance. Chairs are strewn around the room, as are a few errant pieces of mismatched jewelry and fallen tools, and even several pairs of ragged clothing that lay in strangely elongated piles and upon the chairs.

In one of the chairs that's fallen there looks to be a well-built man with his eyes shut, shaking wildly as he appears to have wet himself due to some manner of exciting event. The chamber appears to be completely silent apart from his muttered prayers that, from the sound of it, appear to be falling on deaf ears.

Jack nods, and hands over the head. "All that sounds pretty good, Two Shores, but I did have one other thing in mind, maybe after you go tell the captain about what happened," he ventures.  "Fancy a spar? No weapons so we don't hurt each other and the surroundings, perhaps? I haven't had a good one in ages. Maybe I'll meet you back here after I go get my juggler's foot and tell Big Dipper about his promotion?"

He looks extra earnest, just in case that'll help him.

Ask for a sparring match? Regardless of whether I'm denied or not, go head back to the kitchen/mess hall place afterwards to go check on my juggler's foot order.

Two Shores laughs. There is always time for a sparring match, good sir, and she does know the feeling. Best not to keep that tension in you for long in her experience - right now will be just fine. She was in the middle of morning practice when you came along with the news, after all.

As Peaks excuses herself and a couple of burly sailors come along and take away the table as well as the empty mugs and snack platters, Shores sets up a small sparring circle, drawing a set of stones from within her deep pockets that glow when she sets them down with immaculate precision. She makes good time, too - in less than ten minutes you're about ready.

She sets her sword somewhat improbably on its edge a ways away on the circle, and you detect a noticeable change in her stance as she enters the circle wearing a genial expression even while looking very much primed for a good round of practice.

Will you be using that murder-thought though, if you don't mind her asking? She supposes it is technically a part of your being, and it may be instructive for her to fight something not quite substantial. Perhaps it would be best to not give everything away on your first meeting, however?

I think a moment and talk to Lee: "How about we split up then? You know exactly what we are looking for, Bruce might not be exactly clear about it but will be helpful. We can cover more ground separatedly and therefore find it faster. After one of us finds it we will meet up here again. And since my fate is tied to the box, I would say finding the box is..."

The Word INEVITABLE hangs on tip of my tongue. Lee is smart girl, she should figure out what is the missing Word that's about to come.

A relative certainty, Lee says, then looks at Bruce with a disapproving sneer. Don't let him talk you into any trouble, she simply tells you before turning away and heading off.

Hoo boy, says Bruce after she's a good distance away. Don't mind Big Sis much, she can be a real bitch-tornado sometimes. Now, you were talking about going around and questioning some-

[Sorting Out The Strands: 5]

Your eyes have developed a faint silver glaze as you think of the alchemist and his demand, internalize it. You are right - your fate is catching on something here, a thing you must do before you leave, a thing that your personal twisted time demands from reality itself. The box is here somewhere, and it is there that you will be taken, one way or another. A small pop of probability leaves a metallic taste in your mouth, and a questing itch travels up and down your spine as you prepare to conduct the power of things that must be.

You become aware of Bruce waving his hand in front of your face. You've got the worlds-within-worlds look there, buddy. Cut it out, there's more important things to be doing right now. Like going to hit up all the people who were with Lee that night! One of them has to know what happened to her things, right? So c'mon, he's pretty sure he saw Earnest shambling along one of them side passages a little while ago.

Ouch. Glad to see this Word is as dangerous as the other ones. Satisfying, though.

I search for the doctor and Oggie. If they seem to be okay, I begin ushering them away from this place. We probably don't want to be here long enough to find out what that glowy underground thing is.

You get up and shamble away from the brand new hole in the ground you went and melted. The hill appears to be gently smoking in response to your brush with exothermia. You feel like it might not be a good idea to stick around for long.

As for Oggie, she appears to be mostly fine, albeit a little singed. She's presently lifting the doctor, a little more injured from the looks of it, from the ditch she seems to have fallen into, and is busying herself with the process of cleaning her dress from the dirt and ash it's quite suddenly collected (with not inconsiderable success, even!).

One of her bulging eyes focuses on you as you approach. Deliciously done, she compliments. Sorcery has its uses. No one will abuse her home again. Thank you.

The doctor groans as Oggie sets her down on her feet, and after a few pointed corrections of posture manages to stand up straight and even seems capable of movement. Urk, she forces out as she takes notice of your presence as well. Was that... supposed to happen? There was so much light and heat and... and...

Oggie puts a finger to her mouth, shh. She turns to you properly, her lips drawn in an unflattering semblance of a smile. Freeing, to have that sorted. Where now? She would say south - many things there she would find. Many things indeed, yes? The river first, maybe. Need to wash your pet, was scuffed in explosion.

Ring the service bell, greet anything that arrives.

It takes a minute for the tower portal to creak ominously open, a distended stomach leading the way as a creature wearing a hiked-up corpse bag with crude eyeholes carved into it stepping out, its arms and legs completely bare. It looks surprisingly non-decayed, the limbs very well-toned and covered in black, elaborate tattoos that, while affecting a certain arcane quality with their line work, nevertheless remind you of nothing more than something you'd see on a decorated Russian convict, cryptic images alluding to acts both grossly criminal and criminally gross in a more or less direct fashion.

The ambulatory bag leans toward you, yellow eyes gleaming from the ill-fitting bag, the top of which appears to have been sewn together to become very pointed, at least when you look at it from the front. Stars and moons have been haphazardly stitched into the top, presumably by its own hand while looking in a mirror.

You look like one of them gentlemen of quality and, how you say, distinction, a crackling voice emanates from the wizard. Note yourself in that there guestbook if it's not a bother, that's where the patrons he don't need to chase out go into. Didn't even try to steal anything, that's what he calls damn well behaved, right so!

That said though, if you could tell him what the hell you're looking for quickly he'd be bloody chuffed about that, he's got something of a sensitive matter going on in the back at the moment. Magic wand? Ingredients? Magical helmet wax? Your helmet's bloody shiny as it is, don't get him wrong, but he'd be a monkey's arse if he couldn't imagine it a lot shinier than that.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 28, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »

"Why not first round without it, second round with?" Daniels queries as he settles into a ready stance. "I don't wanna screw around with it too much until I've taken your measure."

Assuming she agrees, begin the fight whenever agreed upon. I can't really say anything specific to do; just kinda feel the flow and try to create and/or exploit openings in her defence.
Sig! Onol

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 29, 2017, 02:06:57 pm »

I will be taken? As in sense of taken to wedding altar? Am I really ready for that?

Leif smiles and plants his both hands firmly on Bruce's shoulders. "Yes. Let's go talk people. Somebody knows, and we will find that somebody. If we are all working together then we can find the box easily. After all, fate dictates so, its discovery is INEVITABLE."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 29, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »

Most unusual, the way that went.  Thomas isn't quite sure how that happened; some sort of advanced illusion, he supposed.  "Pardon me, good sir!  What would be the best way to the top of the ridge from here?"

Ask!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 30, 2017, 01:34:03 pm »

"Oh, I'm only browsing at the moment. As a... foreigner, I still don't know anything much about how magic works here or what would be required. If you have important business to attend to I'd be happy to come back later."

Confess own lack of knowledge of where to even start. Bimble over to the pawnbroker's if the wizard takes me up on that.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 01, 2017, 12:14:42 pm »

"Why not first round without it, second round with?" Daniels queries as he settles into a ready stance. "I don't wanna screw around with it too much until I've taken your measure."

Assuming she agrees, begin the fight whenever agreed upon. I can't really say anything specific to do; just kinda feel the flow and try to create and/or exploit openings in her defence.

Shores merely shrugs - she supposes that is an equitable sort of arrangement. She would of course appreciate if you kept things strictly clean, but if she understands correctly then that might pose slight difficulty, considering the method of deployment... but no matter, she smiles. It should not become a problem.

[The Measure of a Man: 4+1]

You have not had much opportunity to spar in all of your time here - the fights you've been in have been invariably lopsided, and often quite lethal. Thus you find the feeling of engaging somebody on even footing and certainly equal skill to be a strangely exotic pleasure.

Somewhat unlike what her practice with the sword seemed to indicate, her unarmed style is largely formless and highly defensive as she intercepts and interrupts your own overtures with unpredictable and explosive strikes of her own, her dress a whirlwind of ribbons that makes her a little difficult to properly make out once she gets properly moving. You are in the best shape of your life today - certainly better than you were in your old life. What this amounts to, ultimately, is that you manage to almost but not quite lay a hand on her in the first round. The converse, however, certainly does not apply. You get to appreciate the unique artistry of many a maneuver as you are repeatedly kicked, elbowed, kneed and finally quite decisively punched to the ground with an already great deal of strength applied extraordinarily well.

Shores comes to a stop and smooths out her dress with her hands, her shape momentarily returning to normal. She's flushed and breathing quickly, her smile having a lot more teeth than previously as she gently pulls you back to your feet. You have a lot of promise, sir. She apologizes if she hurt you - from what you said she assumed you had a very durable constitution, yes?

You take a moment to check on your bones. Everything's in place, and you must commend Shores for being able to pack a sting without genuinely harming you. You've seen some of the things she did before, and they're the sort of maneuvers that normally lead to skull fractures.

Round two, you say.

Most likely this will be more even, Shores replies in a tone of anticipation. You are, after all, fully warmed up now.

Yes, you respond as your murder-thought spins up from atop the nearby brass mast. That too.

This time she moves far more cautiously, her attention very successfully divided as you launch a two-pronged assault with fists, feet and sheer weaponized malice. She focuses on dodging as she tests you, first weaving out of the way of the sharp swipes of your thought, but allowing it to come closer each time until it travels into the indeterminate sweep of her own battledress. You finally land a solid punch and let out a shout of triumph as Shores recoils, almost flowing like water away from it - straight into the path of your murder-thought.

What happens next looks quite unusual as, put into an unenviable position, the first mate seems to try and catch the thought as opposed to, say, jumping out of the way - it's a strange enough thing to behold that you momentarily hold back on the assault, more curious to see what she's doing than you are intent on proving a point. You see her move backward as the thought starts to bite into her, and with a twist of her body she seems to let it slide along her, the minute friction and slight laceration slowing it down enough as it travels down her hand that with a slight motion of her arm she manages to suddenly deflect it, shedding enough energy from its flight that she finds it not too difficult to catch it with her other hand, guiding it subtly into a very particular track.

Still on the lookout from any attack from your end (you don't really make any serious ones, but elect to keep a certain pressure on as you move to potentially take advantage of, say, an exposed flank), Shores continues to weave around and her motions become like that of a juggler as she seems to very nearly tame your murder-thought in an amusing-looking dance that culminates in her very suddenly whipping her entire body in your direction, the thought suddenly building up momentum as it surges toward your face.

There is a millisecond of bated breath as her eyes are filled with a shining tension, watching as the undefinably sharp blade flies toward you, striking home as it comes to the tip of your nose, for a moment looking like it's about to split your head wide open from sheer momentum.

Instead you just stop it and let it scratch your nose for a moment. Had a bit of an itch building there. You and Shores exchange a meaningful look with raised eyebrows before she nearly collapses in a fit of delighted laughter. She will concede this one to you, sir! A worthwhile defeat if she has ever had one.

I will be taken? As in sense of taken to wedding altar? Am I really ready for that?

Leif smiles and plants his both hands firmly on Bruce's shoulders. "Yes. Let's go talk people. Somebody knows, and we will find that somebody. If we are all working together then we can find the box easily. After all, fate dictates so, its discovery is INEVITABLE."

He's about to say more - you, luckily, have all the answers already.

INEVITABLE

[Word: 5, 3]

Or, rather, you know that you will have them, and the time you will spend getting to them is better used elsewhere. You pull on the thread of time sharply and bring this investigation suddenly together as the room you were in stutters for a second as it empties suddenly of all habitation save yourself and Bruce, who looks confused and takes a single step before the room suddenly melts away, suddenly replaced with the chamber you woke up in, also empty for a second before people start to inversely fill in. You recognize Lee first of all, who sits next to you with her head in one hand, looking very unamused. Next is the lamplighter who is sat on the other side, the antennae on her hat wiggling gently as her memory trails a little behind actual fact. She looks at you, then at Lee quizzically.

The elder springs into existence suddenly off to another side, his expression intensely condescending at young Bruce, who is nearly overcome by disorientation once again as memory and context smacks into his mind like a ton of bricks. A woman you don't recognize with waist-length red hair is right by the entrance, evidently reserving the right to leave at the first opportunity as she smokes a chitinous pipe with squinted eyes. And also a very muscular, blond man not unlike yourself in build, twirling a leather ball in his lap as he casts a very bored eye around the room.

It has become clear, Bruce says as he starts to decide what all has become clear with this fresh rush of knowledge into his pubescent brain, that whatever happened to the object of interest, clearly someone in this room must know! They were all with the owner throughout the night, and no doubt one of them has to have seen something amid the orgy of alcohol and delinquency that followed. Someone has to be responsible!

Baseless allegations, the red-haired woman says, gesturing with her pipe. And he also has no proof, there's that. Yeah, the man with the ball says, this is all kind of lame. He's honestly not sure why he came here. Come to think of it, the red-haired woman continues, neither is she.

Don't distract from the issue, Bruce shouts! There is only one possible way that this can be done, he says, and that's by retracing your steps like a proper detective. If one of the people gathered has the box in their possession, it'll surely come out in this investigation!

Retracing your steps, Lee skeptically draws out.

Indeed, Bruce says in a triumphant tone. And here comes the piece la resistance, he points at the entranceway, where Earnest has turned up with a questioning look and a box of clinking bottles of what seems to be very strong tonic. Lee groans as she audibly facepalms.

As the rest of the room is silent, the lamplighter raises her hand. Can she just say, she begins in, by saying that this is the best plan and she sees absolutely no flaw in it? Bruce snaps her fingers at her - that's the spirit of investigation right there! Now, to make this at all possible to follow everyone's got to participate. Including the investigator!

Most unusual, the way that went.  Thomas isn't quite sure how that happened; some sort of advanced illusion, he supposed.  "Pardon me, good sir!  What would be the best way to the top of the ridge from here?"

Ask!

He doesn't answer your question, and instead seems to go into some kind of bit. It starts with him opening his eyes and looking your way wildly, then casting an eye around the room in dawning horror before settling to look at your curious sword. His eyes meet yours again.

[A Fruitful Interrogation: 1]

Youuuuu, he points as if his arm had developed a sudden case of tetanus, youuu! Youuuu!

You what, you decide to ask as he completely fails to make sense. Do you know each other?

Nooooo, he responds a little more coherently. No, no, no, no, no!

Okay, you continue. Is there some sort of problem? Is he having a seizure? You don't have a phone on you, you're sad to say, is there a landline handy somewhere that you could call 911 on? Is 911 the right number in Australia? You forget if that's the case.

Youuu, he says again! It's here! It's here! Doom! Doom!

That's all right, you speak with futility. You didn't honestly expect a good answer to that. Is there something more you should know? Anybody nearby that you could talk to, possibly?

Doom, he shouts weakly! Darkness, death! Alas! Alack! There is a little more of this as he makes a brief apoplectic scramble for no discernible purpose, wets himself one more time for good measure and then loses consciousness for good. That, you have to admit, was probably the single most fruitless conversation you've had in this strange place, and not for lack of competition.

"Oh, I'm only browsing at the moment. As a... foreigner, I still don't know anything much about how magic works here or what would be required. If you have important business to attend to I'd be happy to come back later."

Confess own lack of knowledge of where to even start. Bimble over to the pawnbroker's if the wizard takes me up on that.

The wizard seems rather offended at this. So you're one of them people what come into a wizards shoppe and then can't muster the basic bloody decency to say what they'd want? He'd've thought better than that from the look of you, just saying. And now you're adding insult to injury, saying you'll bloody well come back later to do the exact same thing when he's got well and proper underway with his business! The gall! The chutzpah!

You're about to say something, but the wizard notices this and speaks louder and more indignantly. Gonna talk back, are you? Gonna ask what magic is again, are ya? It's magic, ya smart-arsed dingleberry of a man! There's not a thing it can't do! Question is what you're willing to pay for it, get it?

So out with it, man! What do you want? Don't worry your shiny little head about the price, he takes care of that for people like you. Anything you want, he can do or his name ain't Wilt The Wizard, Master of the Seven Bloody Towers!

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 01, 2017, 01:23:52 pm »

"YES!" Leif shouts beaming smile on his face and slaps young Bruce on back. "Let's do this!"

Let's retrace our steps! First for Odin or whoever, I don't even care!
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 01, 2017, 08:11:16 pm »

Thomas considered the man for a moment.  He was either an excellent actor or having a seizure; either way, there was nothing to be done for him.  Oh well.

Let's talk exits; ideally one headed up.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: April 01, 2017, 10:23:39 pm »

((Well dang, I got full-on kung fu panda 2 vibes from that.))

Daniels bows deeply to Two Shores. "And you have my respect, that was better fought than anyone I've engaged with in my lifetime that I can remember, save perhaps for one particularly manic crackhead I ran into once in Jersey. Your pattern of motion and skill in redirecting momentum is phenomenal, and I admit I would be uncertain of victory if I engaged you in a straight fight while you had your blade. I'd love to do this again sometime - I believe we have a lot we could learn from each other," he says. "I do believe that we each have things to attend to, however, unless you wish to continue?"

Does the lady wish to fight again? If so, I'm certainly up for it, but if not, bid Shores adieu for now and go ask around to find this Big Dipper fellow.
Sig! Onol

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: April 02, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

"Well, first of all, now I want to know about the price; A wizard 'taking care of' something can mean a great many things, can it not?"
A bit impolitely put, but an excellent question nonetheless. What *do* I want?
Knowledge of magic? A gift fit for a whale? Eh, go with the former for now.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 161