Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36750 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2015, 02:25:21 am »

Yes. It was Very Expensive, and the extra expense level pushed it to National effort, therefore no boat without production effort.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2015, 04:27:06 am »

Yeah, +1 to focusing on transport. None of the guns this turn are really worth it

Scratch that, changing vote to original rifle
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:41:04 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2015, 07:15:04 am »

From the OOC thread, first post.
Expense: Regular equipment can be given to everyone in your army. If a piece of equipment is difficult to produce, it has expense levels: 1 is Expensive, 2 is Very Expensive, and 3 is A National Effort. It doesn't matter how many different types you have, as you'll still only be making a total number of guns enough to equip everyone. Inexpensive equipment could be given to every soldier, if you want. Cheap vehicles means everyone can ride around in one instead of marching. Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers). Expensive Vehicles means a pretty good number can be used for support. Very Expensive equipment can be used by special squads only, about 1 in 100 soldiers. Very Expensive vehicles are few and far between on the battlefield, or there are only a couple squads in total. Your nation can only deploy one National Effort at a time. It had better be an aircraft carrier, or a nuke, or a giant walking robot if you want this to be worth it. If you have multiple weapons at a price tier, then soldiers/squads choose one for the situation. Some weapons, EG crewed machine guns and artillery, don't benefit much from being Inexpensive because there aren't many situations where you'd want everyone using one.
So yes, national effort things do get built, so therefor even if there's only one rifle a year we're still building it, so the tech should get easier and eventually it should just be very expensive, even assuming we don't revise it again sometime.

Anyway, I'll also vote for putting our production focus on the original rifle this turn, which will knock it down to very expensive. While we still won't have very much of them, bringing it down to very expensive will mean that we'll actually be able to leverage having a better rifle then anyone else and should hopefully decrease the time until it goes down in complexity because we'll be building more of them. Combined with the fact that we should have better artillery then anyone else (unless they designed a better/longer ranged one this turn), and I think we'll be able to make the landing.

Whereas if we just get more transports I'm pretty sure we'll just be sending more men to the slaughter because we won't be able to counter the enemy's better infantry power and there's no way we'll be able to land enough to swarm them under by sheer numbers.

So +1 to focusing on the original Rifle.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2015, 07:18:43 am »

Same

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 08, 2015, 08:06:12 am »

transports are mostly useful for movement of cannons and supplies. they are a logistic aid, not just a way to storm the shores.

I am not opposed to the original rifle, since it is at least somewhat decent and we can use faster decomplexification of tech ( we will have 2 rifles in very expensive tier production). However I am worried we won't be able to support our troops after they are deployed. not enough artillery, not enough supplies. I think right now we don't even have a proper transport built. next turn we might have a grand total of 1.

I would feel comfortable not focusing on that only if we agreed to land in a place where our ships can provide artillery support, so that the needs of bulk transport are decreased.
Hence why I suggest landing in the peninsula, where we can osition ships on all sides as required.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 08, 2015, 08:12:05 am »

transports are mostly useful for movement of cannons and supplies. they are a logistic aid, not just a way to storm the shores.

I am not opposed to the original rifle, since it is at least somewhat decent and we can use faster decomplexification of tech ( we will have 2 rifles in very expensive tier production). However I am worried we won't be able to support our troops after they are deployed. not enough artillery, not enough supplies. I think right now we don't even have a proper transport built. next turn we might have a grand total of 1.

I would feel comfortable not focusing on that only if we agreed to land in a place where our ships can provide artillery support, so that the needs of bulk transport are decreased.
Hence why I suggest landing in the peninsula, where we can osition ships on all sides as required.

I'd agree to a penninsula landing
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 08, 2015, 08:44:24 am »

very well.

Every vote we give to this rifle feels like digging our own grave. And yet we keep digging more and more.
At this point, I figure that we are closer to emerging somewhere in china than to the surface, so lets triple down.

+1 on the original rifle

although not many people will be able to be equipped with that. the original shoots well and recharges well, but sadly it breaks more often, so we need to keep spares.
The revision breaks less often, but needs tons of maintenance and care which make them more suited for sharpshooters than proper combat.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2015, 08:59:47 am »

I feel you've misinterpreted it there. The revision is cheaper,  but less reliable. The original is a national effort but less less likely to break disastrously.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2015, 09:03:28 am »

On a side, now that you're here.

How much cheaper will our gun's tech get if we produce both, and how much if we leave the normal gun a national effort.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2015, 09:05:19 am »

From the looks of things actually, with the revision cheapening some things a little we only have to revise the breech on the original to not break and we actually have a pretty damn game changing rifle. That would be my vote for next year tbh

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20:03 am »

revise the rifle, design a bomb ketch. ( or design a practical steam engine, if we want to go the resource route).

anyway, considering what kashyyk said... confirming my vote. +1 to original rifle.  if all the issues were fixed, it would make a truly solid gun. which means we will have all the spies on the continent trying to steal it, but still. Right now, the main problem besides the breech is that it is too expensive, so lets boost it until it gets cheap.

edit: somebody go whip the attertons, they are still in revision!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2015, 10:12:23 am »

How much cheaper will our gun's tech get if we produce both, and how much if we leave the normal gun a national effort.

I'm not sure how Zanz is doing that, I'll check for you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2015, 10:24:28 am »

On a side note, for focus, I propose we also smash the remaining enemy fleet, just as a matter of principle.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2015, 10:37:41 am »

considering many of us planned to spend a focus invading dunwich, I think it was a given that we would spend the other crushing the only remaining fleet in those waters.

Can't speak for the other, but you have my support in that.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »

Thou have my support too.

Also with all the talk of the rifle +1 to the rifle.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34