Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36762 times)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »

https://i.imgur.com/w4GLeKM.jpg

Not as happy as with the newspaper, but still.

I suggest taking a look at the Master and Commander series of books. While they are fiction (particularly later on) they do include alot of interesting details about naval combat (aswell as naval land mucking about) in the Napoleonic era.
I definitely have to look at them. Have you read the Sharpe books? They're more on the land side. I've read them half a year or so back, and am just now (inspired by this game) rereading them.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:28 pm »

Nice posters, maybe we can convince the enemy to go over to our side... hmmm, maybe we can start psychological warfare 132 years early :)

Anyways, I support the rifles, but I am against any invasion in general. Let's blockade their ports, and simply starve them to death as we grow more powerful from trade, and invade once they are completely behind us.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »

Nice posters, maybe we can convince the enemy to go over to our side... hmmm, maybe we can start psychological warfare 132 years early :)

Anyways, I support the rifles, but I am against any invasion in general. Let's blockade their ports, and simply starve them to death as we grow more powerful from trade, and invade once they are completely behind us.

I we were going to do that we wouldn't bother with infantry arms. It's not lie we can snipe enemies from our ships.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2015, 09:07:50 pm »

I we were going to do that we wouldn't bother with infantry arms. It's not lie we can snipe enemies from our ships.

Spoiler: Or can we...? (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind there's a bit more to the right, just make sure to scroll over to see it.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 01, 2015, 09:13:57 pm »

Keep in mind there's a bit more to the right, just make sure to scroll over to see it.
Jesus wept when he saw the beauty of that picture. Post it on the international thread, naow!

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:39 pm »

Jesus wept when he saw the beauty of that picture. Post it on the international thread, naow!

Posted.

"IX XI Quid intus job"

Partially Latin, partially English. Used Google Translate, so no promises for accuracy.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 01, 2015, 10:44:48 pm »

Small note: starving them to death is not feasible, because I am quite sure that right now they have no meaningful trade or contact with the outside world, nor they have fishing fleets( we captured them before game started) and yet they aren't starving. The islands are to be considered self sufficient.

blockading will avoid future contact with other countries, denying some bonuses. But it is not going to make them fall.

Also, spending the next 10 years  using all our focus to blockade and only that is boring. It is not like manpower isn't expendable ( don't let me calling our soldiers expendable get to the enemy ropaganda offices)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 02, 2015, 05:31:34 am »

Question : Our resources are described as this.

2 Ore - Artillery greater than three pounds is Expensive.  Gun Boats are Expensive

Does this mean that our new boat and our newly stolen artillery will also be expensive?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 02, 2015, 06:53:46 am »

I suppose so, yes.

previously, they were very expensive.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 03, 2015, 02:04:44 pm »

Does this mean that our new boat and our newly stolen artillery will also be expensive?

The Atterton artillery is still in the very expensive range, as are all cannons greater than 9 pounds.  I never stated it because you didn't have any cannons that great at the point in time listed.  The boats besides the gun boats are also still in the very expensive range, as I stated when I showed the costs that went down at the end of the 1781 production phase.

Quote from: Results
Imperial Rifle Mk. I
This rifle consists of a 760mm, 16mm-calibre rifled barrel in which seven grooves are cut. It uses a soft-lead ball which will expand on being fired, grip the grooves and clean them of blackpowder residue. Several difficulties appear in the manufacturing processes required in order to get the shot in order to get it to reliably grip the rifling grooves cause the process to produce the shot quite expensive and the required changes to infrastructure to produce it en-mass is complex.  The rear of the stock features a section that, when a side-mounted knob on the breachblock is rotated the rearmost section of the barrel pops out, allowing the loading from its paper cartridge. Damage to this breachblock comes moderately often, resulting in it either being unable to open, or the breachblock breaks out of proper alignment preventing the rifle from being loaded.  The rifle attempted to be primed with caps containing a shock-sensitive explosives, but the only suitable shock-explosives the engineers were able to successfully use consistently without high volatility was highly expensive to get ahold of.  The effective range of the rifle is 300 meters in the hands of a sniper and 200 meters in the hands of a regular soldier. (Theoretical)

Tech Gained
Breachloading [Complex]
Rifling [Complex]
16mm Soft-Lead Shells [Complex]
Percussion Caps [Complex]

God your rolls sucked.  You know, I really think this might be the first item in this type of game that hit the Theoretical stage...

Should note, as this weapon cannot be produced, the complexity of the technology will not be reduced over subsequent turns.

Begin Revision Phase
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 03, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »

God your rolls sucked.  You know, I really think this might be the first item in this type of game that hit the Theoretical stage...
Permission to shoot some engineers?

Should note, as this weapon cannot be produced, the complexity of the technology will not be reduced over subsequent turns.

Begin Revision Phase
Can we use the revision phase to actually get a working version of the rifle?

Also, are you willing to share details on the system, or the rolls we had?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Revision Phase
« Reply #386 on: December 03, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »

Permission to shoot some engineers?

Hey, we got all the techs.

If we design something that uses these techs, and it makes the complexity come down, will the gun become useable?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

Lets just work on fixing everything wrong with that gun in general...

Man, arent we glad we dident have less horribly done things in a rifle that just made them national efforts? Wouldn't that be, well, embarrassing?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:53 pm »

On a side note though, maybe we shouldn't have tried to add percussion caps to a design, considering the chemical explosives that make them possible wouldn't be discovered for the next 2 decades.

Who's idea was that, as I'm going to blame everything that happens on that person.

Anyway, I'm inclined to think of the rifle as a total loss. Literally every part is broken.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:44:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:33 pm »

Can we use the revision phase to actually get a working version of the rifle?

You can strip things out of an earlier version in the revision phase.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34