Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36815 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #270 on: November 29, 2015, 10:04:53 pm »

I was more going to revise our muskets into practical rifled muskets using a minie ball(we have artillery down pat, especially with our successful espionage)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:52 pm »

I think the cheap pistol and then revising our muskets would be the best, I support an effort to land as long as we clear the confederacy out of the seas.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:58 pm »

I think the cheap pistol and then revising our muskets would be the best, I support an effort to land as long as we clear the confederacy out of the seas.

I wanted the steam engine because it'll give us a lot of good tech we can branch off of as well as maximizing our resources
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 29, 2015, 10:42:03 pm »

I wanted the steam engine because it'll give us a lot of good tech we can branch off of as well as maximizing our resources
We just got told that our government/faction wanted something more useful for land combat, so while I think steam engines would be nice, I'd prefer to get them next turn. As well, (cheap) pistols for everyone will be an advantage in naval combat too, because they'll be a lot more handy then longarms in a boarding action. Meanwhile, we need to do something to counter the rifle upgrades everyone else is doing. (And we might want to see if we can steal borrow that revolving musket Fort Combe just put out this turn, too. Assuming we can with the whole 'they just lost' thing at least.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:44:20 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 29, 2015, 10:51:17 pm »

We just got told that our government/faction wanted something more useful for land combat, so while I think steam engines would be nice, I'd prefer to get them next turn. As well, (cheap) pistols for everyone will be an advantage in naval combat too, because they'll be a lot more handy then longarms in a boarding action. Meanwhile, we need to do something to counter the rifle upgrades everyone else is doing. (And we might want to see if we can steal borrow that revolving musket Fort Combe just put out this turn, too. Assuming we can with the whole 'they just lost' thing at least.)

Oh, missed that part in the update. Yeah, we can put off for a turn. So with that in mind, I'm gonna shoot for the moon a little:

Spoiler: Mk. 1 revolver (click to show/hide)

Basically, a Colt Paterson revolver.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 29, 2015, 10:55:25 pm »

that is a bit ahead of time. Although getting percussion caps would be great.

I was thinking: if we can cast the howitzer with our improved techniques , its explosive range should turn out something like 250/300 m. That is quite a feat, it is almost the range of our prvious cannons.

Pity we didn't manage to capture the pirate tech for cheaper cannons however.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2015, 10:58:08 pm »

I did say I was shooting for the moon a little :P

And yeah, if we can cast the howitzers they should be pretty good. That does raise the point though: Hey Zan do we need to revise them to use our improved casting techniques?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2015, 11:18:11 pm »

So, brainstorming a bit on future plans.

If you look at the game map, just to the right of Worchester, in Dunwich land, there's a small peninsula right next to an area flanked by two rivers. Currently, we both have cheaper cannons then everyone else (because we have another ore), and we also have superior cannons that out-range anything Dunwich currently has.

To me, that looks like an opportunity. If we can get a longarm upgrade of any sort that would let us counter the advantage of their Air Rifles, I think we should be able to take that peninsula and invade into the area between those two rivers, especially since our first transports should be coming out of the docks this turn, so we'll be able to invade with a lot more people at once.

Once we have landed and made our initial beachhead, our advantage in artillery should prove a key advantage, and with the rivers guarding our flanks (and only one direction we have to guard against on the peninsula if we take that too), I don't think they'll be able to throw us back.

But to make that initial beachhead, we're going to need to counter their air rifles, so I really think that a longarm upgrade is what we should do this turn, either in the design, revision, or sneaky git espionage phase.

...as always, feedback and advice is welcome, and so are any better ideas someone else might have,
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2015, 11:57:33 pm »

Going and writing up my two suggestions for the turn.

Spoiler: Repeating Pistol Mk1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fast Action Rifle Mk1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:32:54 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2015, 11:59:49 pm »

Considering that the peninsula is one of my stated priorities for this war, I agree. However, I suggest the peninsula itself as target, so that we can have our ships guard the sides. I am not sure if they can navigate the rivers to provide us support, and the support of our ships could prove essential, especially during the first phases of the fight, when our ground troops aren't properly deployed.

Ships also give us a nice artillery advantage, since they have many cannons outranging anything the confederacy can bring ( and matching the monarchy howitzers).

For this reason, I propose we design a new rifle. A pistol will be useful this turn only if we decide not to strike at the mainland, but with monarchy and confederacy busy fighting at the sides, this might be a great time to strike behind their lines.

If we capture the peninsula, we get a  good staging ground for any future operations.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:04 am »

Here's an idea for a rifle using percussion caps:

Spoiler: Imperial Mk.1 Rifle (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 30, 2015, 12:14:02 am »

Suggested designs edited into place.

Also, I really suggest we dont use mercury fulminate. Tad too energetic, in my opinion.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2015, 12:21:58 am »

Suggested designs edited into place.

Also, I really suggest we dont use mercury fulminate. Tad too energetic, in my opinion.

You forgot to specify minie balls asa, which made rifled muskets actially prqctical. Add that in and you have my +1

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:47 am »

indeed, add that and I am voting for the fast action rifle.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:32:22 am by andrea »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 30, 2015, 12:32:09 am »

Proto-Minie balls added.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34