Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36848 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Future Planning
« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:45 pm »

I think a watt engine is more multi purpose. helps in the sea, and helps the economy.
On land, I suppose our artillery is boosted by our 6 pounders and we solved the big problem of last time ( lack of proper transport ships).

Of course, a good rifle will also be useful, considering both of our enemies have one. But I don't think it is, strictly speaking, a priority. Our control of the sea isn't yet complete.

for a revision, perhaps we could get more resources? although it seems that we need 2 more resources to make our ships cheap. SO an alternative could be designing a watt engine and revising a better rifle/handgun

Idea. Watt engine for the design, revising our muskets to be rifled and using Minie balls(which made rifled muskets practical). They'd still be muzzle-loading, but the increase in range and accuracy would be a big advantage.
This sounds good to me.

On the subject of getting resources first, well, isn't it better to get them first then to get them last?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2015, 01:38:23 pm »

I approve tryrar's proposal. Seems balanced. Although of course before finalizing it we need to know the results of espionage.

Do you think any of the other 2 nations will try to challenge us on the sea? they seem quite busy fighting each other, each with a lot to lose from neglecting their 2 battle fronts. While we are not a short term danger to them.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »

They probably won't challenge us but we can't really challenge them.  I support the Watt engine, we could revise our wagon ways to use it and have basically made trains, or we could use our revision for better/more ammo types. 

On the other hand a flintlock pistol would help us out in multiple areas and might be a good idea.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2015, 02:35:55 pm »

We may want to look into developing a pepperbox revolver, to give our sailors an edge when boarding and our soldiers one while fighting in close quarters, but itll be low priority.
I'd rather go with Collier's flintlock revolvers when they arrive or actually, since the idea was well known since, like 16th century (the only problem was their price and complexity)
The keyword being price. Pepperbox revolvers where something like a fifth the cost of a revolver and far, far easier to manufacture. Plus we can always do something interesting like allow the barrels to be removed and a fresh set put in.
Lindner Carbine implies paper cartridges, I belive that flintlock works with those, as does with revolvers and we could somehow make it work with breech loading, but that might be tricky as most breech loaded flintlocks tend to explode.
Fair enough. We probably will want percussion caps sooner than later anyways though.

They probably won't challenge us but we can't really challenge them.  I support the Watt engine, we could revise our wagon ways to use it and have basically made trains, or we could use our revision for better/more ammo types. 
Main problem with the trains is going to be weight, steam engines are heavy bastards, we may want to wait until we get steel for trains. While I agree it is something we will want, probably within the next decade, I dont think we need it quite yet.

Perhaps we should try a simple percussion cap pistol of some flavor next turn to get the tech(preferably multi-shot instead of a single shot, and pepperbox over revolver to reduce cost), then use it for a new rifle, upgrading our cannons, possibly a new ship at that point, then steam engine. Possibly swap engine and ship.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »

The keyword being price. Pepperbox revolvers where something like a fifth the cost of a revolver and far, far easier to manufacture. Plus we can always do something interesting like allow the barrels to be removed and a fresh set put in.
Collier revolver (the first one which was more commonly used) was 1814, so I guess we could slowly start making revolvers that aren't utterly overpriced. The pepperboxes are heavy, not exactly cheap too, prone to exploding and by 1790, they were hand-rotated, and if it's going to be hand rotated, we'll better go with revolvers (not by hammer cocking) as rotating the chamber is easier than rotating basically the whole gun.
Main problem with the trains is going to be weight, steam engines are heavy bastards, we may want to wait until we get steel for trains. While I agree it is something we will want, probably within the next decade, I dont think we need it quite yet.
We may go with steam winch trains or something. But yeah, would we even get anything from that now?
Perhaps we should try a simple percussion cap pistol of some flavor next turn to get the tech(preferably multi-shot instead of a single shot, and pepperbox over revolver to reduce cost), then use it for a new rifle, upgrading our cannons, possibly a new ship at that point, then steam engine. Possibly swap engine and ship.
Percussion caps aren't a thing until around 1820, so we basically want to make something nearly 40 years later. That's... not good.
Honestly, Puckle Gun is something I would go for, possibly making it as small as possible. It's not going to be a pistol but musket with revolving cylinder that's manually operated would be great.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:09:16 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2015, 06:07:23 pm »

No point in having steam trains. We can only get 3 resources max from our island, so the steam engine will give us the third resource.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »

Percussion caps aren't a thing until around 1820, so we basically want to make something nearly 40 years later.
Inventing things slightly* ahead of time hasent been an issue previously for us, why should it start now?
Collier revolver (the first one which was more commonly used) was 1814, so I guess we could slowly start making revolvers that aren't utterly overpriced. The pepperboxes are heavy, not exactly cheap too, prone to exploding and by 1790, they were hand-rotated, and if it's going to be hand rotated, we'll better go with revolvers (not by hammer cocking) as rotating the chamber is easier than rotating basically the whole gun.
Even up to then end of the civil war pepperboxes where still an order of magnitude cheaper, often weighed less than revolvers (atleast the smaller (less than 10mm) ones did), have any data on exploding, and whats to stop us from making them double action? Examples are out there for them.

*Any quantity of time up to and including 50 years counts
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2015, 06:23:38 am »

Idea. Watt engine for the design, revising our muskets to be rifled and using Minie balls(which made rifled muskets practical). They'd still be muzzle-loading, but the increase in range and accuracy would be a big advantage.
Either we do this, or we do a general ammo design next turn, designing canister/grape shot, heated shot (for our coastal defense) and explosive shot (despite the risks associated with it) for our artillery, and minié balls for our rifles. The muskets can then be revised to be rifled (contrary to the Samara keeping their length, therefore resulting in a longer effective range).

This is a more military-focused turn, but should prove significantly more effective due to both new ammunition and rifles (which hopefully turn out cheaper than the Samara, meaning we can counter them with higher numbers and more range, and the Victoria rifle with even more range, and even higher numbers).

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2015, 09:22:24 am »

Percussion caps aren't a thing until around 1820, so we basically want to make something nearly 40 years later.
Inventing things slightly* ahead of time hasent been an issue previously for us, why should it start now?
Even up to then end of the civil war pepperboxes where still an order of magnitude cheaper, often weighed less than revolvers (atleast the smaller (less than 10mm) ones did), have any data on exploding, and whats to stop us from making them double action? Examples are out there for them.

*Any quantity of time up to and including 50 years counts
First, we'll lose a design phase to something that can be replaced easily by something much better in close future (I wonder what we would be able to buy some of those cool Collier revolvers for), second, it's not exactly required and third, it will proably be complete shit. Percussion caps are so game-changing that I'm pretty scared of trying to do that so early.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2015, 04:27:24 pm »

I think we should just focus on our strengths and build the boats up.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2015, 08:48:20 pm »

I think we should just focus on our strengths and build the boats up.
To win we'll have to go on land eventually.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:35 pm »

And as our island only gives a max of three resources, we gotta go soon.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »

Prior Message

A Message from the Roberts Island Colonial Government to the Board of Engineers, January, 1782

The cannons you have designed were a great boon this us this past year.  While some grumble about having basis in a system from the French, they accepted it due to the results provided by it.  As for the Dover class of vessels, the first will be put out in the coming year and allow for much better contact with the rest of the world.  It should be noted that despite the success we have garnered, there are several who are greatly concerned about our capabilities of landing upon the mainland and our ability to fight both armies.  Despite the power of the Empire, the mainland powers are creating some devastating infantry technology that may prove highly problematic.

The efforts of our scouts were much more successful this year.  They had managed to steal the plans of the AM-R-II 12 Pound Howit from the palace of the Monarchy itself.  They likely did not notice it missing during the time it took for our scouts to copy down the plans and then replant the originals.  The addition of the case and low yield explosive shots should prove useful to our efforts when we land upon the isle proper.

We know the events in the American colonies are a bit distressing, but continue with your work.  We must not allow the disasters that are occurring there to happen here.

Begin 1782 Design Phase
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:30:47 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »

Heh, everything seems to have come up roses for us! That 12 pound howitzer is the perfect upgrade to our ships(especially with the explosive shots!), though we'll need to refit our ships to use it. However, we can hold off and simply use them for shpore defense for now as we don't seem to have a pressing need for more powerful guns on our ships, so:

Spoiler: Imperial Steam Engine (click to show/hide)

This is reaching a bit more than a simple Watt engine(which we could fucking import from Britian if we wanted to), but if it works out we'll have something that's perfect to put as the powerplant for a steamship, for a locomotive, and can drive factory equipment right now.

Edit: I also propose renaming the howitzer the imperial 12-pounder shell-howitzer
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:57:31 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Design Phase
« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2015, 10:03:01 pm »

I would rather get us some new infantry weapons and land where the enemies are not expecting it. Probably in the south between Newton and Atterton.

So, we want a cheap pistol and possibly some percussion caps 40 years ahead of time, an expensive pistol, or a new longarm?

Personally, I am in favor of the cheap pistol with new tech or new longarm, in the forms of percussion cap pepperboxes or lindner flintlocks.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34