Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36852 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Focus Phase
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2015, 10:54:43 am »

After a while they might, you know, realize that trying to pirate on this waters is too fucking expensive, unless, you know, they bring bigger ships or... part of our forces become pirates...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49:21 am »

Privateers ftw

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2015, 11:58:00 am »

Setting Focus to attacking the Pirates and Atterton Monarchy.

Begin Future Planning
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Future Planning
« Reply #243 on: November 28, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »

We may want to look into developing a pepperbox revolver, to give our sailors an edge when boarding and our soldiers one while fighting in close quarters, but itll be low priority.

Also, the Lindner system.

And with my not being sure that either system can work with flintlocks, we may want to develop percussion caps ourselves.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:10 pm »

I'm more along the lines we develop a Watt steam engine, then modify it and the boiler to work with high pressure(well, high pressure for the late 1700s/early 1800s :P). I think we have enough breathing space to do so
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 28, 2015, 12:21:16 pm »

Shouldn't we try to get an edge in the land war or are we just not bothering.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »

I think most of us are of the opinion that we dont bother until they start being a threat at sea.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »

Shouldn't we try to get an edge in the land war or are we just not bothering.

We do that by first taking control of the seas then out-resourcing our opponents. What good is a lindner carbine if we can't affornd more than one? :P
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 28, 2015, 12:26:15 pm »

The problem is that we can only get 1 more resource before we hit the hard limit of our islands. A steam engine makes a nice resource gathering system, but then it's going to be useless for the next decade or so.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 28, 2015, 12:29:48 pm »

The problem is that we can only get 1 more resource before we hit the hard limit of our islands. A steam engine makes a nice resource gathering system, but then it's going to be useless for the next decade or so.

Early Steam boats. If we can get a good enough steam engine, the a paddlewheel steam-and-sail ship wouldn't be out of place, and then we can rule the seas while assaulting land targets.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2015, 12:38:08 pm »

We can rule the sea without these sailboats as well.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:27 pm »

Well, my vote wouyld be for a Watt engine, but I wouldn't vote against a carbine. One or the other next turn would be fine.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »

We will outresource them by trade, or something. British still an Empire, after all.
We may want to look into developing a pepperbox revolver, to give our sailors an edge when boarding and our soldiers one while fighting in close quarters, but itll be low priority.
I'd rather go with Collier's flintlock revolvers when they arrive or actually, since the idea was well known since, like 16th century (the only problem was their price and complexity), make our own. If we're in randumb mood, we might go for Puckle guns.
Also, the Lindner system.

And with my not being sure that either system can work with flintlocks, we may want to develop percussion caps ourselves.
Lindner Carbine implies paper cartridges, I belive that flintlock works with those, as does with revolvers and we could somehow make it work with breech loading, but that might be tricky as most breech loaded flintlocks tend to explode.
We can rule the sea without these sailboats as well.
They're going to use steam ships which will lead to their ships exploding in funny way for long time, but once they fix the problems they might get an edge over us.

Watt engine. As for revision I would wait, but I guess we're going to revise our cannons to have more ammo types and whatnot. Or maybe revise our shipyards to make the ships cheaper, if that works.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2015, 01:11:48 pm »

I think a watt engine is more multi purpose. helps in the sea, and helps the economy.
On land, I suppose our artillery is boosted by our 6 pounders and we solved the big problem of last time ( lack of proper transport ships).

Of course, a good rifle will also be useful, considering both of our enemies have one. But I don't think it is, strictly speaking, a priority. Our control of the sea isn't yet complete.

for a revision, perhaps we could get more resources? although it seems that we need 2 more resources to make our ships cheap. SO an alternative could be designing a watt engine and revising a better rifle/handgun

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »

I think a watt engine is more multi purpose. helps in the sea, and helps the economy.
On land, I suppose our artillery is boosted by our 6 pounders and we solved the big problem of last time ( lack of proper transport ships).

Of course, a good rifle will also be useful, considering both of our enemies have one. But I don't think it is, strictly speaking, a priority. Our control of the sea isn't yet complete.

for a revision, perhaps we could get more resources? although it seems that we need 2 more resources to make our ships cheap. SO an alternative could be designing a watt engine and revising a better rifle/handgun

Idea. Watt engine for the design, revising our muskets to be rifled and using Minie balls(which made rifled muskets practical). They'd still be muzzle-loading, but the increase in range and accuracy would be a big advantage.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 34