Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36892 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Revision Phase
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »

The fires of Nelson are lit! Loyalists call for revision!

and I agree on steam tech. it is important for industry, but also essential for fleet operations. in a few years ironclads will be all the rage, and when you are covering your ship with iron, you better have some proper engine helping.

speaking of steam... I wonder if in a century we get to build again the AS-T15. in 1915 it was a steamy coffin, but in 1885 it might actuall be a good design.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Revision Phase
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2015, 10:08:17 pm »

Dover-class Brig - A ship with a 95 foot by 27 foot gundeck that is fitted with two six pound cannons. Those are able to be shifted between it's original positions at the sides and gunports at aft of the ship. Most of it's ammunition and powder storages have been replaced with holds for cargo and supplies for longer voyages. (National Effort)

Tech Gained
Brig [First Turn Type Penalty]

Production Phase Begin

Besides just selecting the piece to reduce the cost, you may select one additional resource from the below:
1 Ore (Reduce cost of guns, cannons, and anything mounted with cannons)
1 Wood (Reduce the cost of ships and steam powered tech)
1 Coal (Drastically reduce the cost of steam engine powered tech)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Production Phase
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2015, 10:12:44 pm »

Does the Dover give us another resource?

Also, focus our production on getting more sloops so we can dominate the seas, and our resource should be wood to aid this even more.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:16 pm »

It will help you with bringing troops over the main island and after a few of the ships are built, you will start getting offerings from other nations (ex. Britain itself) asking for tech in exchange for resources or other tech you don't have.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:59 pm »

It will help you with bringing troops over the main island and after a few of the ships are built, you will start getting offerings from other nations (ex. Britain itself) asking for tech in exchange for resources or other tech you don't have.

Like say, a Watt steam engine? :P
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2015, 10:27:26 pm »

Also, focus our production on getting more sloops so we can dominate the seas, and our resource should be wood to aid this even more.
+1
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »

+1
+1 for production focus on our boats, and for getting a point of Wood.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2015, 11:45:15 pm »

+1
+1 for production focus on our boats, and for getting a point of Wood.

"Look, ma, I've got wood!"

+1 to wood.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2015, 11:51:27 pm »

I think ore would also bring cost of ships down,  due to the cannons, while also making artillery cheaper. However,  wood will surely work for both our ships, so lets go with that.

Of course production focus goes to our warships. Between that, wood and shipyard being finished we will have an huge fleet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2015, 12:15:46 am »

Wait, we want to reduce the cost of our ships, right?

Then we have to go for iron, as our cost is currently determined by the cannon, not the wood use.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:05 am »

Then we have to go for iron, as our cost is currently determined by the cannon, not the wood use.
If this is true I'll switch my vote to Ore.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2015, 12:21:37 am »

While that would bring down the cost of our warships, we'd probably only end up building warships in that case. By going wood, ALL our ships(civilian and military alike) get a discount. Combined with our production focus on our sloops and that means we'll have a massive fleet this turn.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2015, 12:24:53 am »

While that would bring down the cost of our warships, we'd probably only end up building warships in that case. By going wood, ALL our ships(civilian and military alike) get a discount. Combined with our production focus on our sloops and that means we'll have a massive fleet this turn.
But what 10ebbor10's point was that the ship's cost was currently primarly determined by the cost of the cannons, and even our 'civilian' ship has some cannons on it. So getting some wood won't make anything cheaper until we can afford to pay for all those cannons, as otherwise even if the ships are cheaper the cannons won't be, so the design as a whole will still be costy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:52:47 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2015, 12:26:55 am »

Hmm, that's a good point as well. Now I'M undecided as to whether wood is the proper choice or not!

*Flips coin*

Ore it is!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:46:33 am by tryrar »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2015, 12:32:43 am »

it would be nice to have GM confirmation.

but lets go with ORE
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34