Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36774 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Revision Phase
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:57 pm »

I suggest we revise the cost of making cannon in general. Should bring down the costs of future cannon and the ship down slightly.
agreed

In the future we should build a better troop transport but for now we need to win the seas.

On another note, what is the chance the brigands on our island will outclass us in tech?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »

on our island

Well, they aren't on our island. We've got an island all to ourselves, if I recall. Granted, it's kinda small.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 11:22:37 pm »

on our island

Well, they aren't on our island. We've got an island all to ourselves, if I recall. Granted, it's kinda small.
I meant the bandits on the Brittish Island,

note to self, be careful about my wording.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 11:27:26 pm »

on our island

I meant the bandits on the Brittish Island,

note to self, be careful about my wording.

Ah, right. Well, I'm sure they wouldn't be more advanced than us unless they were getting goods from the other nations, and if we do start to see that any local outlaws have foreign equipment we could enact policies in which we search incoming goods.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 11:35:07 pm »

Could we Revise our 6 lber cannon to make a carronade, perhaps a 12 lber?

I'll have to think on that, as the 6 lb cannons are field guns (in the case of naval use, modified partially to work on ships) and from what I can tell, Carronades have a fair amount of differences in design.

I suggest we revise the cost of making cannon in general. Should bring down the costs of future cannon and the ship down slightly.

Revision of the cannon to reduce cost would produce a new variety of cannon, which would not bring down the cost of the ship as it is not designed to hold the new cannon.

NinjaEdit: Double checking the original Arms Race, your ship will probably dive down to Very Expensive next turn.  It's going to be kept at National Effort this turn, as you do need to get a shipyard up to make them.  After that shipyard is up, though, the Brig-Sloop War Vessel tech will lose the [Expensive] tag due to complexity (size), causing a reduction from National Effort to Very Expensive.  Yes, you will only have a limited number, but vastly more than you would have otherwise.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 11:43:39 pm »

Oh, we have no shipyard? huh. Are we going to have to "design" one? :P

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 11:49:29 pm »

Oh, we have no shipyard? huh. Are we going to have to "design" one? :P

You have shipyards for fishing vessels, but none currently made for a Brig-Sloop type vessel.  The cost for building one is in this turn's effort.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 11:55:33 pm »

The cost for building one is in this turn's effort.

Uh.. What? Pardon me, but I don't know what you mean.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 12:02:20 am »

A minor note: if a new variety of ship is something different (ex. new ship is a galleon type vessel), a complexity penalty is applied to it for one turn as a shipyard is made to produce the vessel.  If this pushes the vessel into the 'National Effort' level and the Production Phase is not used on it, only the shipyard would be made in that year.  The penalty will then be removed the next turn.  To see how the complexity penalty affects expense, look under the resources section of the rules in the original Arms Race's rules.  A link to the old thread is in the OP.

Never mind.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 03:35:37 am »

We can bring down the cost of everything by gathering more resources.

upgrade our road infrastructure

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 07:51:22 am »

Honestly speaking, even one damn ship is a lot by the period standards, or even navy standards. One ship can make much more difference than one whatever.
Also, I wonder if we can "revise" the smoothbore to have rifled guns.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

Man you guys are way more active than I am...

RE:Sloop; Looks good, should work as a patrol boat around our coast to protect from invasions.

RE:Revision; I suggest we work on getting our economy going. In every RTS or strategy game, one of the first things you want is a strong economy to fuel your warfare. Otherwise, you are stuck making tiny amounts of units. But for this, I suggest that we revise our cannons to make them less expensive. We want a decent force of these fast, to prevent any ninja invasions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2015, 11:07:08 am »

RE:Revision; I suggest we work on getting our economy going. In every RTS or strategy game, one of the first things you want is a strong economy to fuel your warfare.

In RTS's, that's because your economy feeds back into your economy. More resources lets you gather even more resources, and so on ... Here, that isn't the case.

However, I still propose we improve our economy, because getting more resources also makes our cannons cheaper.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 11:12:47 am »

Revise the carriages to be better or something? Maybe revise the horses?
Revise the mines? Roads? Maybe we should revise the workers?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 11:46:21 am »

I vote we revise roads, we need more resources to produce more stuff, let's just not fall into my trap of not building units while we build up a good economy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34