Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36800 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Design Phase
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 08:34:17 pm »

Jeasus, a 18 gun sloop? That seems excessive. What size guns are we talking, six pounders?
Go big or go home.
In any event, I support naval development. However, at some point I think we should work on developing stuff
Air rifles/Fergusons are cool but eh, they are proably too damn annoying to have, proably being expensive due to complexion and having logistical problems and whatnot. For now, muskets are okay. Honestly, by the time we get to the need of having more firepower, Collier Revolvers will be around.
Oh, and we may want to arm the sloop mostly with carronades.
That's what they were armed originally with, but I fear we would have to use 2 design phases for that, since we only have regular guns.
I dont think the rigging will allow that that much. We can add in provisions for bow and stern chasers, then let the crews shift the guns as needed.
Yeah, that was my main concern. I guess that would work too.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 08:34:33 pm »

Jeasus, a 18 gun sloop? That seems excessive. What size guns are we talking, six pounders?

Yeah, six pounders. Also, it's not quite a sloop, it's a brig-sloop :^)

However, at some point I think we should work on developing a Lindner Carbine or some form of airgun, probably based on the Girardoni air rifle. Or, hell, we could try getting the Ferguson rifles dug out of wherever they are being stored.

Oh definitely.

Oh, and we may want to arm the sloop mostly with carronades.

If only we HAD carronades :P

I dont think the rigging will allow that that much. We can add in provisions for bow and stern chasers, then let the crews shift the guns as needed.

Chasers? *googles*

EDIT: Ye, I can see that working.

Hopefully the final revision of the London class brig-sloop:

That good?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 08:37:17 pm by coleslaw35 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 08:52:04 pm »

I'll wait for Aseaheru to speak, but it doesn't look bad.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »

I like it, as Britain it makes sense to have the most advanced navy, but maybe there are too many canons for its size. More canons would make it harder to produce an man, and the ship is barely bigger than a fishing boat.  Maybe reduce the number of canons on each side down to 2, they would be bigger of course.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 09:42:01 pm »

I like it, as Britain it makes sense to have the most advanced navy, but maybe there are too many canons for its size. More canons would make it harder to produce an man, and the ship is barely bigger than a fishing boat.  Maybe reduce the number of canons on each side down to 2, they would be bigger of course.

Thing is we've only got 6 lber cannons right now. We'd have to research them next turn if we decide to go with the ship this turn.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 09:44:42 pm »

Thing is we've only got 6 lber cannons right now. We'd have to research them next turn if we decide to go with the ship this turn.
forgot that, things are more reasonable now.

I now propose we research bigger canons this turn instead of the boat. Maybe a 12lber or 20lber, I'm posting from phone so feel free to hit me with a dose of reality.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 09:53:05 pm »

I support this design, and suggest that we work on carronades next instead of just larger cannons. Smaller, lighter, less crew, and bigger rounds, whats not to like besides the horrific range? Keep a few sixlbers for chasers, or, hell, dump a full set of both on each ship and let the cappies choose.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 09:55:52 pm »

forgot that, things are more reasonable now.

I now propose we research bigger canons this turn instead of the boat. Maybe a 12lber or 20lber, I'm posting from phone so feel free to hit me with a dose of reality.

I fear that if we don't make a decent ship this turn, we won't be able to at least hold our own (if not dominate) on the seas. Also, keep in mind, we're almost completely fed due to our many fisheries (At least I think this is the case). It'd be catastrophic if we were to be blockaded, so I believe ensuring our naval power will keep us in a decent position We are separated from the other two factions by a vast ocean, and the only way they could get troops over here is if they used boats to transport them. If we can keep them off our shores, we may be able to prioritize some other developments instead of army equipment.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:57:26 pm by coleslaw35 »

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »

So we should have fast ships that make the bad range not matter.

And on the ship thing I support it fully now after reading through what we have.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09:04 pm »

I fear that if we don't make a decent ship this turn, we won't be able to at least hold our own (if not dominate) on the seas. Also, keep in mind, we're almost completely fed due to our many fisheries (At least I think this is the case). It'd be catastrophic if we were to be blockaded, so I believe ensuring our naval power will keep us in a decent position We are separated from the other two factions by a vast ocean, and the only way they could get troops over here is if they used boats to transport them. If we can keep them off our shores, we may be able to prioritize some other developments instead of army equipment.

You can last a short time without access, but the seas do provide a good deal of your island's food.  And I feel that I should remind you that there are NPC factions, including pirates.

Anyway, as it appears that you have agreed upon a design, I only have one question before I roll up to see how the design went.  Are you sure you don't want to save the name London for a larger, better armed class of ship?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 10:10:33 pm »

Are you sure you don't want to save the name London for a larger, better armed class of ship?

We'll call that one the "Britannica" ;)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 10:51:04 pm »

Are you sure you don't want to save the name London for a larger, better armed class of ship?

We'll call that one the "Britannica" ;)

You know what, I'll just let the name be able to be changed up if it comes out with a lot of problems.

The London-class Brig-Sloop has 95 foot by 27 foot gundeck that is fitted with eighteen six pound cannons.  These cannons are arranged in a manner of having eight on the port and starboard, with two cannons able to be shifted between gunports at the fore and aft of the ship.  The cannons furthest back on each side have a minor ability to fire backwards, but only by a minor amount.  The four foremost cannons of the ship, not including the ones facing directly forewards, have a similar angle towards the front.  The ship has a speed and maneuverability slightly lower than that of the future Cherokee-class Brig-Sloop of the British Empire.  (Current Cost: National Effort)

Tech Gained:
+Chaser Cannons
+Brig-Sloop War Vessel [Expensive]

You wound up getting some good rolls on this.  However, due to this ship type being expensive to produce from the increase in size over fishing vessels and the 6 pound cannons currently being very expensive, you'll only be able to get out 1 this year if you dedicate your production phase in assisting its production.  Still, if it gets on the water it will completely outclass the gun boats currently out there.

You have now entered the Revision Phase.
You may revise any piece of technology you have, to a reasonable degree.  For example, you cannot turn the Brown Bess into an Air Rifle, but you can upscale the shot to make a higher caliber musket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:58:43 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:21 pm »

Could we Revise our 6 lber cannon to make a carronade, perhaps a 12 lber?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:03:54 pm by coleslaw35 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Revision Phase
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 11:11:11 pm »

I suggest we revise the cost of making cannon in general. Should bring down the costs of future cannon and the ship down slightly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Revision Phase
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 11:15:00 pm »

I suggest we revise the cost of making cannon in general. Should bring down the costs of future cannon and the ship down slightly.

That's right. I'm bad.

Would it be better to do something like:
"Revise the 6lber cannon to be cheaper"
or
"Revise our manufacturing methods to allow for an increase in efficiency."

The first option would specifically target the cannon while the second option targets everything. Would the first option be more efficient? Would the second option be too much, and thus, scaled up to require a design phase ooor...? Just throwing questions out there for future reference. Sorry if they seem kinda dumb, I just want to clear stuff up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34