Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36805 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Focus Phase
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »

Why not do both, Pirates and The peninsula, we are talking of number 5 right?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:55:26 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2015, 02:14:00 pm »

No, it's the small peninsula between 5 and 6 (closer to 5).
Remember that 5 and 6 each represent one of the three big cities of our enemies, so taking them will be close to impossible. However, since our proposed fort is close to the Dunwich/Atterton border, they will hopefully be unable to launch an attack for fear of the other side exploiting that weakness.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »

Remember that 5 and 6 each represent one of the three big cities of our enemies, so taking them will be close to impossible. However, since our proposed fort is close to the Dunwich/Atterton border, they will hopefully be unable to launch an attack for fear of the other side exploiting that weakness.

May want to take note of some information I put out in the International thread.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »

As it may not have been clear, I should note that you would need to actually capture that land first in order to plant a fort on it.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:32 pm »

One question. What kind of weaponry are the pirates using?

I assume that since the NPC nations are weak, so are the pirates.

Double Focus vs Pirates
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:32:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2015, 05:54:50 pm »

One question. What kind of weaponry are the pirates using?

I assume that since the NPC nations are weak, so are the pirates.

All forces start out with identical arms and advance in their own direction.  The only difference is advancement rate, with players having 1 design and 1 revision, while NPCs have 1 combined that can be used for either a design or a revision.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2015, 09:03:55 pm »

Focus is set to striking forth at the Pirates and making an amphibious assault on the Peninsula by highest vote at the deadline.

Phase is going to be set to future planning while the turn is being written up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1780 Future Planning
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2015, 05:14:34 am »

Well then, future planning. As we get one additional resource next turn, which I expect we'll dedicate to ore production. That'll reduce our artillery cost to expensive, bringing down the cost of our ships as well.

Given that we, as such, will likely take control of the ocean, it might be interesting to invest in some cheap naval bombardment options. The Second-Anglo Mysorean war has just started, meaning the British empire now has knowledge of effective rocket artillery, having first hand experienced their effectiveness when a 3000 man strong force was entirely destroyed at the Battle of Pollilur.

The rockets should be particularly effective here, as most fortifications will be constructed of wood, not stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysorean_rockets

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2015, 07:05:51 am »

3) Puckle gun. Actually, what about Collier Revolver? I know we're quite early but... it's a bloody flintlock revolver!
Actually, we aren't even that early. First flintlock revolvers were made by German weaponsmiths in late 16th century, and while they were expensive and whatever, I suppose we could totally supply a good amount of troops with them with lucky rolls.
Also, a question - will we get anything from the good ol' Britain? As in, designs? I suppose not, but it would be only logical for them to send us some Colliers or something.\
EDIT:
What about Linder Carbine without paper cartridge? Will make it easier to load the guns since you won't have to load it from muzzle and stuff.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:31:40 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2015, 08:34:45 am »

I'm inclined to develop something relatively big and not that technologically complex, since we have 1 extra resource next turn.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2015, 10:50:00 am »

I'm inclined to develop something relatively big and not that technologically complex, since we have 1 extra resource next turn.
I believe we'd best upgrade the queen of the battlefield - our artillery.
By introducing a new artillery piece we can update our current artillery. By making it heavier - I'd say a twelve-pounder, on the maximum edge of the weight range as opposed to our 6-pounders - we also supplement it further.

Lest I forget: @Zanzetkuken: Do we have access to canister shot for our current artillery? Because if not, then that's the next research priority. Or, even better: 1784 is the year that Lieutenant Shrapnel was beginning to develop his spherical case shot [1]. That's a devastating weapon right there - referenced as Britain's 'Secret Weapon' during the Napoleonic wars.

[1] In case you couldn't tell, that's later going to be known as Shrapnel.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2015, 11:21:31 am »

For field use? That thing is gonna be hell to haul about. I suggest developing carronades instead, since while the do fire heavier weight of ball they are also lighter and use less men. Less range, but thats a fine tradeoff in my books.

Well, that or a lindner carbine, since we can convert our normal guns to them (which was one of the best aspects of the system)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2015, 11:37:00 am »

Not sure if a Carronade is a great idea. Our current is already quite crappy (with it's 400 meter range). A Carronade might be outranged by common guns.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 11:40:54 am by 10ebbor10 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:02 am »

Stealing your design, and we're going to attack one of the independent and the Monarchy.
@Dunwich
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2015, 12:11:41 pm »

I'm for upgrading the artillery, the case shot and bigger guns sounds good.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34