Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36757 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Revision Phase
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2015, 02:52:24 pm »

Question: How does the trading system work. When do we get to trade, and when do we know when we can trade.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 03, 2015, 03:01:35 pm »

Question: How does the trading system work. When do we get to trade, and when do we know when we can trade.

That will be introduced next year and will be explained to everyone.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:12 pm »

But what about the ship we build last turn? Kind of disappointing to have it be useless for a turn.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 03, 2015, 03:06:15 pm »

It is a transport. If we can get the rifle fixed up (ditch the percussion caps possibly, fix the rest. Or jsut fix everything) we can still use the ships.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 03, 2015, 03:24:32 pm »

Well can we revise our original rifles with some of the technology but not all, we would have a worse gun but we would still have a better gun then when we started.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

Right now, what doesn't work is the following:
- soft-lead ball fitting
- shot expensive
- breachblock sensitive
- percussion caps expensive

We can either refit the old rifle to use some of this (as fillipk said), or we can try to fix the most important stuff (like Aseaheru proposed).
Right now, I'd propose we fix the Imperial Rifle. Right now, the most problematic thing is the breachblock, so we should fix that first. We can just cut the percussion caps and use the Brown Bess' flintlock mechanism. Fixing the shot to make it less expensive would be nice, too.

Imperial Rifle Mk. I Mod B
Fixing the problems with the (theoretical) Mod A, the Mod B introduces the following fixes:
- The breachblock is strengthened to resist more damage. This includes its own makeup and the fixtures.
- The percussion-cap based system is removed, and instead a flintlock system similar to the Brown Bess is introduced.
- Experiment with the depths of the groves, trying to find a way for cheaper balls to grip them.
- Introduce a modified manufacturing process for casting the balls: A two-pronged, nutcracker-like mold for the bullets for our soldiers in the field. The bullet is cast point downwards, the hot lead poured in through a hole in the top. Then, a plug is inserted in this hole, making a hollow room in the bullet itself and closing the whole thing to cool off. Once cooled off, the two prongs are opened and the bullet removed. Almost as easy as casting musket balls.
- For industrial production, a similar system is used, with the molds encompassing not one but several bullets.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2015, 04:30:35 pm »

Fixing the problems with the (theoretical) Mod A, the Mod B introduces the following fixes:
- The breachblock is strengthened to resist more damage. This includes its own makeup and the fixtures.
- The percussion-cap based system is removed, and instead a flintlock system similar to the Brown Bess is introduced.
- Experiment with the depths of the groves, trying to find a way for cheaper balls to grip them.
- Introduce a modified manufacturing process for casting the balls: A two-pronged, nutcracker-like mold for the bullets for our soldiers in the field. The bullet is cast point downwards, the hot lead poured in through a hole in the top. Then, a plug is inserted in this hole, making a hollow room in the bullet itself and closing the whole thing to cool off. Once cooled off, the two prongs are opened and the bullet removed. Almost as easy as casting musket balls.
- For industrial production, a similar system is used, with the molds encompassing not one but several bullets.
+1
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2015, 04:45:15 pm »

+1

+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 03, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »

I'm down for that, later we can make a better gun like the imperial Rifle Mk 1
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 03, 2015, 05:28:33 pm »

I'll give that revision my vote.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

I hope it works.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »

I would have removed the breechload as well, ensuring an useable ( very expensive) gun this turn.

However, on a reread, the breechloader we have is not THAT terrible and even if we fail to reduce complexity of anything, just removing percussion caps ( who proposed those? shoot him with a Mod B rifle!) should push it into national effort. which is not much production, but it is production and should reduce complexity of components. if we fix the issues ( cost and faulty loader) it will be an excellent rifle. Plus, it has good range for our sniper, on par with all foreign direct fire artillery currently on field. And for normal infantry it still outranges the competition.

so... +1 and fingers crossed.

What is the monarchy doing that takes so long?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2015, 10:25:30 am »

We are going to fail so hard at this. Percussion caps, paper cartridges, breech loading (get us metal cartridges and it's a bloody bolt action, we just need an magazine for it).
I am all for it tho. We're pretty safe right now so we can risk wasting an design or even revision phase on it. Or even multiple revisions.
I am not even mad, this is just too damn funny.
EDIT:
Also, yes, indeed, revise it. A lot.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:11 am »

well, yes. I think everyone was expecting a revision. Although the GM himself said we had bad rolls, so this had the chance to turn out better than it did.

also, we didn't need to develope paper cartridges.

I just hope we get better luck on the revision. if we improve the breechloading and remove the percussion caps, it will make a very fine rifle for our soldiers.

Sadly I don't expect any tech to be cheaper this turn, so it will be a very fine rifle in a few turns, by which time it might have been matched by enemies.

but I can dream! ( seriously, even just getting it down to very expensive this turn would be a rather big deal. we can have sharpshooter units able to contrast the victoria air rifle. plus, complexity goes away on its own)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »

And we still have an espionage phase to go through, anyway, if we want to steal either the rotary musket or the air rifle. Or just go right for some tech.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 34