Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1782 Production Phase  (Read 36871 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - British Loyalists - 1781 Espionage Phase
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2015, 08:03:55 pm »

No the confederacy, because they are most likely building artillery.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2015, 08:06:34 pm »

No the confederacy, because they are most likely building artillery.

I'm pretty sure the Monarchy is the one who's gonna go for arty. But in any case, I'll join in whichever has the most votes(though my vote for now is Monarchy).
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2015, 08:16:49 pm »

Stealing from the Monarchy sounds good to me.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2015, 08:50:00 pm »

+1 to stealing the Monarchy's revision.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 26, 2015, 10:59:48 pm »

Why so sure tryrar? But lets go for the monarchy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 26, 2015, 11:10:15 pm »

Why so sure tryrar? But lets go for the monarchy.

Not actually 100% sure, just making a guess based off the turn. I mean, the Confederates have the air rifles and I'm expecting them to build off that. I could be wrong though.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2015, 04:36:26 am »

Right now, we have different things we can try to steal. Those are either the already-developed technologies from last turn (where we know which ones there are) or the ones developed this turn (where we have to guess). In total, those are:

Paddle Wheel Boat [Expensive]
Steam Engine [Expensive]
Rifling [Expensive]
Samara Rifled Musket

Gravity-Fed Magazine [Expensive]
Compressed Air Reservoir [Expensive]
Paddle and Ratchet [Expensive]
Victoria Air Rifle

Baby Bess Carbine

Lord Locke Pistol

Jaegar Cutter

Of the basic tech, Rifling and the Steam engine are the most interesting ones, I think. We can develop the paddle wheel boat ourselves later (with more experience than they have in both ships and - then - steam technology). Gravity-fed magazines and paddle-and-ratchet are of use with breechloaders (so much later) while air rifles are going to be a dead end.

Now, for the other parties. I think we can be pretty sure that Dunwich will be developing artillery both against Ft. Combe and Ft. Alton's horse riders. The only interesting question is whether they will opt for a more conservative design (where stealing will not help us much) or a more outlandish design (Like an Armstrong-seal breech-loading rifled cannon, which will not work well for them but give us quite a few things to steal).

In the end, I'll vote for either stealing the Steam engine, or Dunwich's revision.

Normally, I am against stealing the Atterton Monarchy's designs, mostly because I have a fairly low opinion on their final designs as going for the shiny instead of proven tech, but that might actually be what we'd need this turn - many technological ideas we can use the best of later.

@Zanzetkuken: Can we steal basic tech (i.e. Rifling, Paddle and Ratchet etc)?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:23 am »

I'm not sure why you'd want to steal basic tech. Stealing the design gets us the tech as well.

Anyway, I don't think we should steal the steam tech. The steam engine they have is an unreliable device integrated in their ship. We thus won't be able to usefull stuff with it. We can and should design a more reliable thing soon, but not immediatly.

On the other hand, both the Atterton Monarchy and the Confederacy have the Victoria rifle. I fear that might be highly problematic for us in the future.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2015, 05:37:43 am »

I'm not sure why you'd want to steal basic tech. Stealing the design gets us the tech as well.
I had assumed that stealing a design would give us access to the tech as implemented in that design, while stealing tech would give us access to the tech itself. Of course, the rest of my post assumed pretty much the opposite...

Anyway, I don't think we should steal the steam tech. The steam engine they have is an unreliable device integrated in their ship. We thus won't be able to usefull stuff with it. We can and should design a more reliable thing soon, but not immediatly.
Hm. Makes sense.

On the other hand, both the Atterton Monarchy and the Confederacy have the Victoria rifle. I fear that might be highly problematic for us in the future.
True. Also, the confederancy has either stolen the Samara rifle or the Steamship.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2015, 05:47:19 am »

Or failed, like we did.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2015, 11:51:40 am »

The main problem with air rifles is that they need alot of specially trained people. Soldiers, artisans, laborers, etc. Probally be best to jsut develop our own breach or psudo-breach loading system for gunpower weapons. Like Lindner systems.
 Plus, you can convert a musket or rifle to use the Lindner system, you cant convert one to be an air rifle.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2015, 01:17:16 pm »

I think the confederacy will go with a normal design, but they will probably be the only ones developing artillery so i say we go after the Monarchies design.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »

Let's steal their uniforms. For fun and giggles.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

Heh, that could work. Steal enemy uniforms, use it to infiltrate defenses.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »

Get shot by our own people.
Fund it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 34