Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this thread become the new European Politics thread?

Yes, we need one anyway.
- 17 (21.8%)
No, we should take that elsewhere and keep this thread as-is.
- 27 (34.6%)
I don't care, let's see what happens.
- 34 (43.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49

Author Topic: The Paris Attacks  (Read 58227 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Paris Attacks
« Reply #675 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »

Just to make sure, do you mean accepting or being exempt from joint military operations?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 03, 2015, 02:10:34 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #677 on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:46 pm »

Just to make sure, do you mean accepting or being exempt from joint military operations?
No I mean excepting. Not killing your compatriots is easy, it just means doing nothing to them which requires no effort whatsoever. But joint military operations means doing something, and when doing stuff killing allies happens

The logs also show that British forces were mistakenly attacked by US and other coalition units at least 11 times
Guys pls

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 03, 2015, 06:17:18 pm »

Also your own guys, like Pat Tillman.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 03, 2015, 06:18:41 pm »

That wasn't blue-on-blue, that was murder.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #680 on: December 03, 2015, 06:37:51 pm »

That wasn't blue-on-blue, that was murder.
Lane and another Ranger were wounded; Tillman and an Afghan soldier fighting beside him, which may have caused some confusion, were killed. Based on the soldiers accounts, Mary Tillman believes she's pieced together her son's final moments.

"In the end, we feel he was hit in the chest. And it, you know, he had on his body armor, but, you know, it's very powerful when you're hit like that. And it stunned him and he went down. And then they shot him in the head three times," she says.

"He was screaming for them to stop," Couric remarks.

"Yeah. And he was screaming, 'Cease fire.' He was screaming his name. You know, 'I'm Pat Tillman.' Like, 'What's wrong with you?'" Mary Tillman explains.

"And what about for you, the notion that, his own brothers were firing on him?" Couric asks.

"Well, it's hard to take," Tillman says. "When we heard it was a friendly fire, I felt terrible for these soldiers. We didn't go into immediate, you know, 'Oh, these awful men, they need to be punished.' I felt terrible for these young men. And I still do, to a degree. But I don't think it was the horrible accident that they like to play this out. I think there was huge negligence involved here."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-really-happened-to-pat-tillman/2/
These stories make me sad
One night in October 2006 a British patrol, festooned with the blue light sticks, agreed on as a sign to identify themselves as friendly, reported they had been shot at by US troops who had no night vision goggles and had been listening to their iPods.
Blue light sticks
Speaking of blue on blue, there's also that issue of infiltration on native ground forces; in Afghanistan it was Al Qaeda infiltrating Afghan security forces to attack coalition troops and the obvious question is what ground forces are available to the allies that aren't compromised (significantly anyways)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 03, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »

Is there a point? Blue on blue incidents happen all the goddamn time. It's a recognized problem that's always going to be there, just like guys getting killed during training when they roll a vehicle or crash a helicopter.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2015, 07:00:01 pm »

Is there a point? Blue on blue incidents happen all the goddamn time. It's a recognized problem that's always going to be there, just like guys getting killed during training when they roll a vehicle or crash a helicopter.
Yeah my point was that's the only time avoiding not killing your compatriots happens

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 03, 2015, 07:49:58 pm »

Yeah my point was that's the only time avoiding not killing your compatriots happens
I'm not sure I have been fully following this latest spur of the conversation, by those involved, especially with (apparent) double-negatives like this.  Would "...not avoiding killing..." have been a viable way of rephrasing this, or am I misparsing the intended context and grammar?

(BTW, not wanting to be a Thread Nazi, but is this straying beyond Paris?)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 03, 2015, 08:11:00 pm »

I guess I could change the title - any suggestions? A new Europol thread is needed at some point, but I don't really feel up for the task - maybe I'll nag Sheb about making one.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #685 on: December 03, 2015, 08:38:10 pm »

I'm tempted to remake it with the original rules and the addendum to not talk about immigration in it, since that tends to dominate the yurop discussion very quickly and everyone is highly passionate about it; then we could have a separate immigration thread which is more chill and detached from the personal stakes everyone has in politics

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 03, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »

If only we had some kind of quarantine thread where people could go to yell about immigration and other...various nonsense.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »

-snip-
I don't mean any disrespect, but somehow I doubt that you're the right guy for the job... Ideally the OP should stay somewhat distanced from the discussion.

Maybe we should get one of the Americans to do it. smj, would you be up for that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #688 on: December 03, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »

I don't really care who makes it so no worries Helgo; only American I think could do it is Orange Wizard who's got a religion megathread with no casualties

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 03, 2015, 09:18:45 pm »

If only we had some kind of quarantine thread where people could go to yell about immigration and other...various nonsense.

*applauds politely*
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49